medical students - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-15-2005, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i do "standardized patient" work for the UofFl. basically i just pretend to have a cough or something and med students come in and do a physical/history on me.

the other day, i brought my ds in so they could do a mock well baby visit. i had 2 students take a history and do a brief physicial exam on him. i had the following conversation with one of the students:

Student: i see your sin is uncircumscised
Me: yes, he is intact

Student: do you clean under is foreskin?
Me: no way!

Student: it would probably be a good idea to retract his foreskin every now and then an clean under it with soap and water
Me: actually, its not a good idea. you should NEVER retract a kids foreskin.it can cause adhesions, infection, and is painful. it usually takes at least 2 years for a kids foreskin to become retractable on its own, and sometimes it doesnt happen till after puberty. the penis is a self cleaning organ, just like a vagina.

Student: okay

i wrote a big note on my evaluation about how important it was to make sure that these students are being taught not to retract foreskins! i wouldnt be suprised if these students werent taught what to do with intact kids. i was really polite to the student, so im hoping she didnt take offense. i want her to believe what i said and not just dismiss me as a stupid hippy parent!

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2005, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nak

you are making a huge difference, we can never know how many innocent babies you have potentially saved!

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Old 04-16-2005, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah!!! Good for you. That was awesome. Is there any way to find out if they might change that?

User Tag List