info about circ in the 70's?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-05-2005, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering what the actual procedure was like back then. OK, I know excrutiating and abusive torture, but it seems "new" methods are being introduced now and again. Does anyone know what was/were the common method(s) around that time? I also assume that the possibility of pain management was out of the question. I don't think that even occurred to anyone until the late 80's???? True??

TIA!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2005, 01:45 AM

Plastibel, Gomco and Mogen, pretty much. Same as they use today. All three have been around for umpteen years- Gomco and Plastibel since the 1920's? I'd have to find the exact dates, but to answer your question, no they didn't use pain relief and yes they use the same methods today.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:48 AM

The methods and the equipment are as archaic and outdated as the procedure itself. The equipment looks like the mideviel torture equipment that it is. They are all made for destruction with no consideration for the victim. They are simply for the convienience of the operator and speed in the name of profits.

Frank
Old 05-05-2005, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all!

Frank, I figure as much is true. I wouldn't imagine that any "innovations" would consider the victim at all. That would be the height of irony, "considering" the infant victim during a torturous abuse that will leave lifelong scars.

I was more asking b/c DH is beginning to show interest in knowing what exactly happened to him. I didn't know if cutting, crushing, or something else was most common 34 years ago.

Thanks again!
Old 05-05-2005, 11:50 AM

They all involve some sort of cutting.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:52 PM

You can look at the scarline (whether there is a visible scar there or not) and get an indication of which method was used.

The Gomco Clamp and Plastibel methods leave a scarline that goes straight around the penile shaft. The Mogen Shield method leaves a concentric scar that follows the angle of the glans. In the early 1970's as is true today, the Gomco Clamp method was the method most used. It's for different reasons. Then, the Plastibel procedure was much newer and not as many circumcisers were experienced with it. Today, the Plastibel Method is associated with a far higher risk of infection as acknowledged and warned about by the Federal Food and Drug Administration.

Most likely, your husbands penis was crushed with the Gomco Clamp torture device although there is a remote possibility that it was done freehand with no devices other than a scapel and suturing needle. It is almost 100% certain it was done with no pain relief as is still the case today with about 75% done with no pain relief at all and 96%+ done with what the AMA considers inadequate pain relief.

Frank
Old 05-07-2005, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly Speaking
...75% done with no pain relief at all and 96%+ done with what the AMA considers inadequate pain relief.
Frank- Do you happen to have a reference for that statistic? I'd like to use those numbers in a debate on another board, but I don't think they'd accept "Frank said so and he knows what he's talking about" as a valid reference. :LOL Thanks!
Old 05-07-2005, 12:59 AM

I know my brother was circed in '71 with a plastibell. My mom told me to make sure we didn't do it that way. LOL That is what got me thinking and asking questions. She actually saved my son's foreskin because without her comments I would have been more likely to go with the flow. Then again I was pretty anti-intervention and question when ever they try to take my son anywere out of my site.

User Tag List