Anyone bothered by latest Mothering issue?!?!?! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-22-2005, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna
As far as I am concerned this is a complete 180 from the Case Against Circumcision issue that Mothering Mag ran years ago.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2005, 07:15 PM

So did anyone get to chat?
Old 05-24-2005, 07:59 PM

Not me - I was out and about today. But I'd love to know. :

Did anyone else send a letter to the editor?

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 05-25-2005, 06:51 PM

I happened to catch the chat, but was not aware of this issue until today. The editorial was discussed, but not her stance on circ specifically. So, I'd suggest letters. I too am saddened to see such a neutral stance from the editor of the magazine that made me change my mind!!
Old 05-26-2005, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

I caught the last part. I couldn't ask a question because I wasn't on the list, and it was full already.

Ilaria mamma to Owen, Caroline & Patrick .... loving life as expats in Asia intactlact.gifnovaxnocirc.gifuc.jpgnamaste.gif
Old 05-30-2005, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Just a bump and a reminder for everyone to let Peggy know how you feel about the editorial. They locked my thread in ACtivism, so this is it.

Ilaria mamma to Owen, Caroline & Patrick .... loving life as expats in Asia intactlact.gifnovaxnocirc.gifuc.jpgnamaste.gif
Old 05-30-2005, 06:58 PM

Shucks, I had to miss Tuesday and was hoping that someone else was able to atttend and ask Peggy O'mara about this article. It sounds like no one did.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:16 AM

Yeah, I was wondering how the chat went. I have missed ALL of the Tuesday chats due to prior obligations)-:

I'm still wondering what was meant by "medical circumcisions". I don't consider optional circumcision of an infant 'medical' since they are not medically necessary- and religious circumcisions are not 'medical' either.

It was a weird choice of wording the statement- as well as a total surprise.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
Old 05-31-2005, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
:
Wondering about the chat...

Also, is Peggy O a posting member here at MDC? Any chance she has read the threads and would comment?
Old 05-31-2005, 07:16 PM

:
Old 07-02-2005, 08:42 PM

Anything new?

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
Old 07-02-2005, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Is the new issue out yet? I'm in Malaysia, so I have it sent to me after I get it in Az. So it takes a while....I will probably cancel my subscription anyway, this is a big hassle and if their circ stance has changed, then I don't want to give them any of my money.
Though I wonder if I can get my money back since I paid for a 3 YEAR subscription!

Old 07-02-2005, 10:36 PM

This is completely unacceptable to me. This is a right and wrong issue, a human rights issue, and an absolute. I really would like to understand why, she is an educated kind woman, why would she condone this??? It is absolutely NO different than FGM and I am POSITIVE she would never NEVER condone that. I have such a HUGE sense of betrayal from this I am not even sure how to process it.

bleu

mama to bliss who is whole, intact, and beautiful
Old 07-02-2005, 11:21 PM

Just got the recent issue....nothing. No comment from Peggy, no letters published.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 07-02-2005, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

how sad. Mothering is not what I thought it was, or what it used to be. Definitely not the magazine for me anymore.

Old 07-03-2005, 01:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
This is just one more way that mothering is going more mainstream. It is sick that it is even suggested that circing would be a proper choice for a parent to make. I know many people who stop buying magazines now. I am sad for mothering to be going in such a unhealthy and unnatrual way-

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
Old 07-03-2005, 01:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Does she support female cric then??? This is just so wrong!

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
Old 07-03-2005, 02:26 AM

Is it possible that she meant the first part to refer to circ (trusting in the inherest integrity of the child's body) and the second part only refers to vaccines (parents making informed choices)?
Old 07-03-2005, 03:11 AM

You know, I'm not entirely sure what the outcome of all of the discussion on this site was. I tried to skim the copy of Mothering Mag. I received today and was disappointed by what I have found. Perhaps I've missed some sort of futher explantion (which was sort of what I was looking for) or at least, some additional information. Please let me know if you found something about this issue in the last mag.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell bottom blues
Is it possible that she meant the first part to refer to circ (trusting in the inherest integrity of the child's body) and the second part only refers to vaccines (parents making informed choices)?
I wish. But her statements are VERY clear.

Old 07-03-2005, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Peggy will be holding a chat this Wednesday 1 PM EST. Perhaps one or more of you can attend the chat and ask your questions.

Old 07-03-2005, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

I would love to be able to ask her a few questions 'in person', unfortunately, I will be flying from Malaysia to Italy on Wednesday (and Thursday! a 28 hr trip! by myself with my 2 little ones...but I digress...)

Old 07-03-2005, 01:20 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell bottom blues
She's a better writer than that. She knows how to make herself clear.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 07-03-2005, 01:23 PM

I don't think circumcision is a complex decision. It's NOT like vaccines. Vaccines have 2 sides to it. Circumcision doesn't. It's an assault on a newborn baby and that is all it is. no "second side" or "good side" to circumcision. It's plain WRONG.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:27 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loving-my-babies
It's an assault on a newborn baby and that is all it is. no "second side" or "good side" to circumcision. It's plain WRONG.

Ironically, so many mothers wouldn't know that if it hadn't been for Mothering (and the Fleiss articles) in the first place.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 07-04-2005, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

That is ironic, and kind of sad. I wonder what happened to the "Case AGAINST circ" stance? It was clear cut and to the point. I wonder if this forum will follow suit and be renamed.
I feel sick to my stomach about this. Mothering was, I thought, the only magazine worth getting, I'd look forward to every issue like a child at Christmas and then I'd read it all in one breath....

Old 07-05-2005, 12:48 AM

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet, and maybe people opposing circumcision would show up here more often if it was renamed and we could convince them to see things our way ('cause we'd all still be here, of course!).

Though the lack of response from Mothering is rather disturbing...

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
Old 07-05-2005, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

I disagree, I think language and semantics are very important. But that might be due to my MA in Linguistics.

Old 07-06-2005, 04:51 PM

UPDATE - went to chat with Peggy today and posted a brief summary here, will post a link to the transcript when it comes out:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...61#post3410561

Old 07-10-2005, 04:12 AM
Banned

Edited or unedited, Peggy's statement is shocking. I am glad I stopped subscribing a couple of yr. ago. I thought the magazine was getting inconsistent in some ways, but I never dreamed it would come to this.

Since when does Mothering magazine have to cater to folks who are still living in the 7th century? Yes, if you remain neutral on male infant circ, you will undoubtedly attract more people to "natural" parenting. . . doesn't anybody get the irony here?

I wonder what could be next.

User Tag List