Unbelievable! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 05-21-2005, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read this on a doctor's website today, "Not asking questions will help you deal with your baby's first experience with pain" This OB/GYN is a Jewish Mohel also. Go to the site and read what she has to say about doing a bris or circumcision.

http://www.drlyster.com/pages/1/index.htm

This was NOT the doctor that was sposed to back up my midwife but unfortunately she was on call. I had a forth degree tear: She misdiagnosed it as a third degree and repaired it with NO ANESTHESIA. She tried a pudendal block but after the block totally failed she just did a 45 minute surgery with me screaming. My doula was holding me down. That's the kind of doctor she is. It's so terrible that there's people like her out there....especially cause she backs up midwives.

Anyways, tell me what you think about, Don't question, just circ!

Erin
#2 of 51 Old 05-21-2005, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Now the circumcision is done and everyone can breathe easier!
Who can breathe easier?
#3 of 51 Old 05-21-2005, 05:00 AM

Quote:
the foreskin is brought up around the bell, and the cut is against the metal, guaranteeing that the penis cannot be hurt
WTF?!?! What is her definition of "hurt" exactly? And there are no "guarantees" that nothing will go wrong. Ugh, I think I'm going to go :Puke now.....
#4 of 51 Old 05-21-2005, 10:14 AM

OMG, poor babies and poor you! I cannot even imagine....my frickin' medwife cut me during my first birth and started to repair me without anesthesia, saying I wouldn't be able to feel it...YEAH RIGHT! One stitch and I was coming unglued. I cannot imagine the pain this sadist inflicted on you!!!

I hope you complained to the licensing board.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#5 of 51 Old 05-21-2005, 10:33 AM

Ummm. Isn't this the same stupid lady that was on Penn & Teller and said the foreskin is akin to the adult appendix?

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#6 of 51 Old 05-21-2005, 12:07 PM

Kathryn, you're right! It is the same doctor! ACK! She even uses the same language about using a Gomco clamp to "ensure that the penis will not be harmed."

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#7 of 51 Old 05-21-2005, 12:17 PM

Quote:
the cut is circular, giving a really nice-looking end result
this is just gross and creepy.

I noticed right away it was the same lady! :
#8 of 51 Old 05-21-2005, 12:42 PM

"I use a plastic board, on which your baby will lie with only his legs secured with soft foam-rubber straps. It is not necessary to secure his arms; he can suck his fist or have his hands held by a loved one. Your baby's comfort will be helped by soft blankets on the board."

I find this odd-usually it is proclaimed how gentle a bris is because the baby is held in someone's loving arms.

BTW...has anyone ever heard of female circumfetishists? (I hope I am allowed to ask that)

This woman gives me the creeps.

Pam
#9 of 51 Old 05-21-2005, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
Ummm. Isn't this the same stupid lady that was on Penn & Teller and said the foreskin is akin to the adult appendix?
I hope she gets her pesky outer genitalia removed soon!
#10 of 51 Old 05-21-2005, 01:12 PM

If she IS the one from P&T, her husband was circumcised recently- right?

Also, I thought the gomco clamp was 'unallowable' for ritual circumcision??

There are many sites like that one when you look at ritual circumcision. These sites often claim that ritual circumcision is less painful than a medical circ. I honestly don't claim to understand why this would be, but I've heard it said by a few pediatricians too, so there may be some truth to the statement. It certainly IS painful, but may be less so than one that is 'bogged' down by medical procedure, since it is over quicker?

However, these sites often try to claim that ritual circumcision is painless- which angers me. They try to placate parents concerns about this with statements like circumcision is "nearly painless" or "almost painless". And they include virtually no realistic medical information about what a circumcision entails and only the same tired myths about 'medical benefits' that most of us can recite and counter in our sleep.

I personally think it is wrong, even for religious reasons, but this is not the way things are right now. I just am angered that it is minimized and parents, in my opinion, are tricked into thinking it is less of a procedure than it actually is.

A pin prick is almost painless, circumcision is painful- and those that choose to have one- for religious or cultural reasons should be given the proper information about what it IS and what it entails.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#11 of 51 Old 05-21-2005, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know about that?? When?? Where??

You can email her your opinion as drlizlyster@yahoo.com
#12 of 51 Old 05-21-2005, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

I found the Penn and Tellar clip on line.

Let me tell you how skilled Dr Lyster is...now that I went over her lack of pain management.....I had an infection and the wound opened up within a week: she told me to just put gauze on it and take baths. I went to another Dr: I had a fistula and severely narrowed introitus due to excess scar tissue. SO I had to have a surgery called vaginoplasty and perinoeplasty to fix her screw up. NOW I have another fistula off my rectum where she MISSED the rectal tear...one more surgery next week. I'm glad she knows how to fix penises right cause she sure screwed up my vagina. I cannot give birth again.
#13 of 51 Old 05-21-2005, 03:43 PM

Blech : :

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#14 of 51 Old 05-21-2005, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erindaugherty
I'm glad she knows how to fix penises right cause she sure screwed up my vagina. I cannot give birth again.
I am so sorry for you. Have you considered taking suit against her?

BTW, she doesn't know how to "fix penises", she only knows how to mutilate them. :

#15 of 51 Old 05-21-2005, 08:09 PM

She clearly likes carving up penises.

What a freak!! My jaw is still on the floor... I'm especially appalled at her nerve to include a photo of a peacefully sleeping baby with a ribbon and tag that says "From God". I guess it should read "From God, except for that evil foreskin - we chopped that right off".

Ladies, lock up your babies if you see her comin'.

I'm really sorry such a sadistic monster ever touched you! Hugs, mama.
#16 of 51 Old 05-21-2005, 08:31 PM

Erin, if you haven't talked to a lawyer already, you really need to. You deserve to be compensated for your pain and suffering, your medical expenses, and the loss of the ability to birth normally.

I am so sorry mama. This "doctor" deserves to lose her license.

ETA: the statute of limitations for torts (i.e. claims for wrongful action) is usually 3 years but might be 2. Seriously, I would get a copy of all your medical records and then go talk to a good lawyer (talk to several).

#17 of 51 Old 05-21-2005, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paminmi
[I]BTW...has anyone ever heard of female circumfetishists? (I hope I am allowed to ask that)

This woman gives me the creeps.

Pam
If you're talking about female circumfetishists, yes. However, their thrust is for circumcision of adult females only.

If you're talking about females that advocate male circumcision, yes again and their sites are even sicker to me than the ones for males to promote circumcision. The male dominated sites realize the eyes of the world are upon them and the female sites seem to think they are very anonymous. The things they say are far worse than what the males say and gets deep into sexual perversion.

Frank
#18 of 51 Old 05-22-2005, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

The statute of limitations in California is one year and it had expired before I developed the second fistula. We DID report her to the medical board and JCAHO and they lied saying since I wanted a natural birth that means you get a natural repair. The lawyer we did talk to wasn't quite sure how to proceed anyways since we had a midwife deliver the baby, the Dr Torture came in for the repair, then I was back in the midwife's care. SO who's responsibility was it to order pain relief or antibiotics?? The midwife is just as guilty for not speaking up for me when I was screaming. I deserved to at least be offered a spinal for this degree of repair.
\
My point is that this Doctor clearly has no problem operating on peoples genitals without anesthesia....unbelievable!!

Erin
#19 of 51 Old 05-22-2005, 08:37 PM

#20 of 51 Old 05-22-2005, 09:26 PM

My poor baby was butchered by the same Resident that butchered me. The sad part is that was done while I was under anesthesia recovering from having my bladder cut in half during the section. As soon as I saw his circ I knew that they had gotten a hold of his penis to inflict more damage. How horrible. I am pursuing this until the very end. My stature of limitations here in NJ is 2 years. I will fight until the last day, and you should pursue with any thing you can because she will damage someone else.
#21 of 51 Old 05-22-2005, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erindaugherty
they lied saying since I wanted a natural birth that means you get a natural repair.
What in the name of all that is holy does THAT mean?!? Does this apply to any emergency C-sections, too? Puhleeze! : That is the biggest bunch of hoo-hah I have heard in a long time.

I am so sorry for your experiences with this woman!

An Official, Approved Signatureâ¢
#22 of 51 Old 05-22-2005, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aira
I'm especially appalled at her nerve to include a photo of a peacefully sleeping baby with a ribbon and tag that says "From God". I guess it should read "From God, except for that evil foreskin - we chopped that right off".
That's an Anne Geddes baby, unless I'm much mistaken - and she lives in New Zealand where the circ rate is under 5%.

So mark that down for the Sickly Ironic Dept - cuz that baby's more than 95% likely to be whole and staying that way.
#23 of 51 Old 05-24-2005, 07:07 AM

Quote:
"I use a plastic board, on which your baby will lie with only his legs secured with soft foam-rubber straps. It is not necessary to secure his arms; he can suck his fist or have his hands held by a loved one. Your baby's comfort will be helped by soft blankets on the board."

I find this odd-usually it is proclaimed how gentle a bris is because the baby is held in someone's loving arms.
It IS odd. When done by a real mohel, yes the baby is never strapped down it is held by a relative.

Just giving you some clarity.

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#24 of 51 Old 05-24-2005, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly Speaking
If you're talking about females that advocate male circumcision, yes again and their sites are even sicker to me than the ones for males to promote circumcision. The male dominated sites realize the eyes of the world are upon them and the female sites seem to think they are very anonymous. The things they say are far worse than what the males say and gets deep into sexual perversion.

Frank

I am speaking of women who have a "thing" about the act of male circumcision or of the circumcised penis.

When I read this woman's website, I got a just sick feeling about the way she worded things. Connecting her with the Penn and Teller program just cemented it, that there is something "unnatural" about the way she addresses circumcision.

She really seems to "like" circumcising boys, if you KWIM...

Ick!

Pam
#25 of 51 Old 05-24-2005, 09:28 AM

Erin:

Hugs to you...as someone who also had problems as a result of a doctor's sharp scissors and poor birth technique, not to mention a huge headed baby, I can understand where you are coming from.

I encourage you to find a good attorney to help you look into this. That "woman" (term used loosely) needs to be stopped and you deserve compensation for your pain and suffering.

Pam
#26 of 51 Old 05-24-2005, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I am speaking of women who have a "thing" about the act of male circumcision or of the circumcised penis.

She really seems to "like" circumcising boys, if you KWIM...

Ick!

Pam

I'm talking about the same thing. They get excited talking about circumcision. They sexually objectify infant circumcisions and infant penises. They post on debate boards and on circumcision support boards trying to convince parents to circumcise their sons. They try to convince adult males to have themselves circumcised and fantasize about being there for the event. They fantasize about helping a man take care of the wound and then being the first to help him use it. They are just so, so, so sick on so many levels.

Frank
#27 of 51 Old 05-24-2005, 11:44 AM

How absolutely disgusting.

Erin - I hope you can get some legal recourse against that woman. What a sicko.

Indea - We met at HMN once. Fight that jerk who sliced you up to the bitter end. You deserve it.
#28 of 51 Old 05-24-2005, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebeeglee
That's an Anne Geddes baby, unless I'm much mistaken - and she lives in New Zealand where the circ rate is under 5%.
She'd probably like to know someone used her pic for that...

Ilaria mamma to Owen, Caroline & Patrick .... loving life as expats in Asia intactlact.gifnovaxnocirc.gifuc.jpgnamaste.gif
#29 of 51 Old 05-24-2005, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilaria
She'd probably like to know someone used her pic for that...
Yeah. Isn't it copyright infringement (sp?) by using that picture without permission (and we all are figuring that dr didn't get permission)? Maybe someone should e-mail Ms. Geddes...

#30 of 51 Old 05-26-2005, 10:34 PM

Erin, surely the statute of limitations is only from when the injury is discovered? If you didn't know about the second fistula, then it should be a separate issue.

Just found this for you.

Quote:
A medical malpractice action for injury or death must be brought within one year from the date the claimant discovered the negligent act, but no more than three years from the date of injury. Cal. Civ. Proc. Code § 340.5 (West 1992)

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page