Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.drgreene.com/21_513.html

i am not sure what to think of his advice at all
#2 of 12 Old 09-27-2005, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If you know what was, you'd probably find it quite acceptable.

Let me explain. Back several years ago there were several sites that appeared to be constructed by the same person. They had similar names, (drgreen, drbrown, drparker etc.) similar looks and very similar information. Their circumcision and care of the intact penis information was absolutely horrendous! It was so bad that the circumcision fetishists regularly linked to the sites to convince parents to circumcise and there was circumcision information there that was lifted from pro-circ sites.

At that time a group of intactivists (including yours truly!) started a letter writing campaign to put pressure on these sites to get the information right. Dr. Greene responded and made many changes to his site over a period of months. Considering where he was, where he is now is very acceptable. I know it's not perfect and I know it doesn't advocate not circumcising but he has gone a long way to get information correct and not lean toward circumcision. Sometimes you just have to realize that sometimes you can't have it perfect and accept what you can get.

Frank
#3 of 12 Old 09-27-2005, 07:55 PM

very true frank. i was just happy it said never force it and teach him to clean himself when it finally does retract. and though he seemed to say you should start checking it at age 1, he also said it could be 5 or later before it actually retracts.... it could be worse some hospital websites have worse advice than that one....

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#4 of 12 Old 09-27-2005, 08:55 PM

If I recall correctly, Dr. Greene's site had a very outdated, very poor piece on the circumcision decision - but it was pulled and hasn't been put back for quite some time now. With any luck if they put something up it will be anti-circ.

There is some really helpful stuff on the rest of his site, too. I think this guy is for real.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#5 of 12 Old 09-27-2005, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky
If I recall correctly, Dr. Greene's site had a very outdated, very poor piece on the circumcision decision - but it was pulled and hasn't been put back for quite some time now. With any luck if they put something up it will be anti-circ.

There is some really helpful stuff on the rest of his site, too. I think this guy is for real.
Yea, I like Dr Greene. A lot more than Dr Sears anyway. His tone isn't condescending at least adn he usually has good info.
#6 of 12 Old 09-28-2005, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Can we spearhead a similar campaign for the Mayo Clinic site? I would LOVE to be able to use them as an "unbiased", reliable source, but I refuse to do so. I have e-mailed them a couple of times regarding the outdated misinformation on their circumcision page, to no avail.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#7 of 12 Old 09-28-2005, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunniemunch
http://www.drgreene.com/21_513.html

i am not sure what to think of his advice at all

I read it and thought it sounded fine. He says to only wash the outside of the penis if the child isn't retracting. If he retracts a little bit then you can rinse the inside. Do not use soap, and never force back the skin. He makes that part very clear. Then he says that you should encourage your son to wash once a week after he's fully retractable, and that some kids don't retract for several years--so not to worry.

He made a point to note that you do not try to stick q-tips under the skin, or force back the skin, or even wash with soap before he's fully retractable.

All in all, I didn't read any bad advice.

~Nay

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
#8 of 12 Old 09-28-2005, 01:00 PM

Here's the Mayo article:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm...C2A0B91919D578

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#9 of 12 Old 09-28-2005, 01:29 PM

webmd is even worse. there are a couple of pages, just hit the next button... Circumsicion-WebMD

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#10 of 12 Old 09-28-2005, 04:51 PM

Mayo clinic site reads:
Quote:
Once a boy is circumcised, washing the penis with soap and water is all that's necessary.
Umm.. and what exactly is necessary if a boy is not circumcised??
#11 of 12 Old 09-28-2005, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoninBeGonin
I read it and thought it sounded fine. He says to only wash the outside of the penis if the child isn't retracting. If he retracts a little bit then you can rinse the inside. Do not use soap, and never force back the skin. He makes that part very clear. Then he says that you should encourage your son to wash once a week after he's fully retractable, and that some kids don't retract for several years--so not to worry.

He made a point to note that you do not try to stick q-tips under the skin, or force back the skin, or even wash with soap before he's fully retractable.

All in all, I didn't read any bad advice.

~Nay

No, it's not bad advice but it's not as good as it could be or should be. But it's a matter of degrees. It will have mothers checking the foreskin for retraction and if it doesn't retract by "several years" they are going to start worrying and you know what that means . . . . The boy is likely to get taken to an ignorant pediatrician and get a diagnosis of phimosis and a prescription for a circumcision to relieve the "problem."

In a perfect world, I would like to see a statement like this:

There is no need to worry about genital hygiene in intact (uncircumcised) boys. The inner space of the foreskin fully takes care of itself until puberty and no maintenance is needed. Some boys foreskin will not retract until well into puberty. There is no need to try to pull the foreskin back and you should be on guard with caretakers who might try to pull it back for cleaning as this can damage the penis. When the foreskin is ready, your son will discover it on his own and he should be the first to retract it.

Frank
#12 of 12 Old 10-08-2005, 06:24 AM
Fi.

I'm going to give Dr Greene some credit here for this line alone:

"Leaving the foreskin intact is another way to prevent meatal stenosis."

Long distance Mom to boarding school superstars E (9) and Layne (6).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page