odd question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-06-2005, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lets pretend noone circs, do parents naturally know not to retract the foreskin? do you have to be told not to when you give birth? its become such an *unatural issue* that who knows if people would know what to do with it, if there were no docs..
#2 of 11 Old 10-06-2005, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think it's a perfectly valid question.

Our GP told us to retract at diaper changes, when our twins were born 11 years ago. It didn't seem right to us, so we didn't do it. So I guess my thought is that if no one tells you to retract, you won't think to do it - any more than you would think to clean your daughter's vagina with a Q-tip.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#3 of 11 Old 10-06-2005, 11:19 AM

I think you know instinctively not to retract.

I babysat an intact baby before I knew anything about the issue. I never would have dared to manipulate his penis....the thought would have struck me as invasive and perverted.
#4 of 11 Old 10-06-2005, 11:26 AM

If we had never circed to begin (since the beginning of time) with I'm sure we wouldn't even have thought to mess with our sons' penises.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#5 of 11 Old 10-06-2005, 12:04 PM

I agree with that. I mean my first reaction when I saw my ds wasn't to see what was under all that skin. So if no one had ever circ'd it would be normal for us to leave it alone.
#6 of 11 Old 10-06-2005, 12:21 PM

This retracting to clean myth is an invention of the medical profession and that's the only thing that gave it legs. If they had done the same thing for girls, we'd all be mopping out the vaginas of baby girls. Just imagine how many infections those girls would be having! Is it any wonder that boys that have this highly invasive cleaning done have infections?

Frank
#7 of 11 Old 10-06-2005, 12:55 PM

I used to mind a little baby boy, and it never occurred to me to retract and clean underneath, clean all around the outside, yes, but nothing else. His mother never said anything about it either.

He's 14 now *sigh* they grow up so quickly.
#8 of 11 Old 10-06-2005, 01:32 PM

I don't think it would occur to people, I mean how many people pry back their kid's fingernails or eyelids to clean them out? Seems to me that instinct would tell us that some body parts are stuck together for a reason.
#9 of 11 Old 10-06-2005, 01:35 PM

I had decided to leave my (almost!) one year old son intact but i didn't really look into intact care until after he was born. It never occurred to me to retract him (actually, i didn't really understand retraction until i read more about the intact penis)

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#10 of 11 Old 10-06-2005, 02:18 PM

it would never occur to me to rip my sons' penises apart anymore than douche my dd for 'cleanliness'. it's absurd on the face of it, not in the least questionable, and has to be propagated by dr's who have never seen a child with an intact penis. my 4 & 3 yr old would freak if mama decided to get weird & cause pain to their genitals. imagine what a baby without the means of articulating 'WHAT are you DOING???' is thinking.

susan
#11 of 11 Old 10-06-2005, 04:53 PM

i think the idea to retract is taught. do people dig into the folds of their dds to ensure every nook and cranny is clean?

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page