Where are all the intact boys? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 111 Old 10-20-2005, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
her in Albany, NY area I only know of 2 intact boys...well, 3 including my DS. I've had to go on the defense several times already about our decision although the his Dr and my midwives were all estatic that we were not going to cut! :LOL
#92 of 111 Old 10-20-2005, 10:54 AM

O.K. I am going to sound like a complete moron, but I cannot believe the amount of people on this thread who know children that have been circed! None of my friends children are cut, I have worked in my daycare for 10 years and I can't remember one child (honest ) that was circumcised. In my prenatal class of 20 couples when the nurse asked if anyone was going to circ their baby only one couple put up thier hand. (And they looked shocked that no one else did) The nurse told them it was medically unnessary and very painful for the baby. Here in Nova Scotia you can't find out the sex of your baby during routine ultrasound so most of the couples wouldn't have known if their child was a boy.

I have known 1 child who was circumcised at 2, in a daycare I was in as a student-it was very horrible for him . But that is all I can recall.
#93 of 111 Old 10-20-2005, 11:16 AM

count me in!! one d/h and four intact boys all in florida.....
#94 of 111 Old 10-20-2005, 11:17 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipworth
O.K. I am going to sound like a complete moron, but I cannot believe the amount of people on this thread who know children that have been circed!

You're not a moron, you're just not American. Unfortunately our circ rate is still higher than that of Canada.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#95 of 111 Old 10-20-2005, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Zipworth, you're lucky.

My best friend has 3 circ'ed sons, though her oldest is 22 and her youngest is 13. She just plain didn't know any better. But she did joke about how, with the first one, she cried when they took him away to be circ'ed; by the third one she cheerfully ate breakfast while he was gone.

DH and I were visiting my boss and his new baby in the hospital when the doctor came to take the baby away for his circ.

My little brother has a circ'ed son (age 13); if his new baby had been a boy, I'm pretty sure they would have circ'ed him as well - in spite of the information I gave his wife.

My neighbor raised a litter of Miniature Pinscher pups, and docked their tails. When she brought the puppies outside, I commented on their poor little tails, and she said (with a SMILE) "It's no worse than circumcision!" I told her I couldn't agree to that either (I'm sure she was shocked at the thought).

My other neighbor has circ'ed son - I've seen him naked in the pool.

Yet another neighbor has three sons. The two olderst were born in the Czech Republic, and naturally left intact. But one "had" to be circ'ed when he was a preschooler, after they moved to the US. Then their youngest, born in the US but left intact, also "had" to be circ'ed as a preschooler.

When our summer nanny was pregnant, I talked to her about circ. She was shocked to hear about the pain, the risks, that babies actually DIE from circ complications. I sent her some links. But I'm pretty sure she left the decision up to her DH (who no doubt wanted his son to "match" him), and they circ'ed him.

If I had to guess, I would say that the circ rate in my area is 90%. But surprisingly, no one pressured me in the hospital about it. The tide is turning VERY slowly around here.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#96 of 111 Old 10-20-2005, 04:01 PM

When my son was born in 1998, you wouldn't believe how many times I had to say "no we're not doing that" in the hospital, even I never signed an authorization. This was in Texas. So, I imagine it is very common there.

I'm in Canada now and you have to get permission and ask for circumcision if you want it done, and I'm not sure if they will even do it anymore. It is not routine anymore and actually discouraged here.
#97 of 111 Old 10-20-2005, 07:56 PM

Natalie:

I saw a circumcision rate for Nova Scotia of .6%. That's 6 out of 1,000 boys so it's not surprising that you've never seen one. But as you go west or south, the rates increase. The 2000 rate for Saskatchewan, Alberta and Manitoba was in the 25% -30% range. If you go south into the states, it's high for the eastern part, In the early 1990's, it got up to over 90%. By the late '90's it had dropped to around 70% and this year it will probably be around 50%.

Frank
#98 of 111 Old 10-21-2005, 12:29 AM

there's one who is almost two sleeping on my chest with his sweaty little curls pressed into my chin and neck
he has one little friend who is an intact boy and all the little girls he knows are also intact
we're iin the midwest as well; WI
#99 of 111 Old 10-21-2005, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaline
plenty intact boys here in australia!
:
#100 of 111 Old 10-21-2005, 01:22 AM

I had never seen an intact boy until my DS was born.

Right now i have two intact baby boys in my house. My youngest DS and another MDC mamas baby boy.
#101 of 111 Old 10-21-2005, 01:30 AM

There's an intact little guy curled up next to his sister in our Midwest bed tonight.

I haven't ever seen another intact boy yet either unfortunately. But my good friend will be birthing one in January and another good friend is willing to go to war with her DH over the issue when she gets pregnant again. Oh yeah. Her son will be intact, over her DH's dead body if necessary. :LOL

We are few and far between here. I left a MOMS club over this (the ignorance was truly frightening voer this issue) and the stupid Jesus forwards.

Way back when I first started CDing, I thought another AP mom was so cool and her infant sons were circ'd because she didn't want some women making fun of them when they were older. That should have been my first clue that I was dealing with a wackadoo.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#102 of 111 Old 10-21-2005, 12:32 PM

My two intact boys are playing Uno in the living room while my intact husband is making dinner. Here in Sweden, it is the norm to be intact and the exception to be circumsised. My kind of country!
#103 of 111 Old 10-22-2005, 02:04 AM

Another Ohioan with a intact son, though he was born and kept whole in Missouri
Our DD was born in Ohio so I have no idea what the hospital here thinks of circ.
#104 of 111 Old 10-22-2005, 06:02 AM

Northwestern Oregon: I only know of one baby boy who is intact. My nephew and a three year old boy I babysit are both cut. That's all that I know of. (But if/when I have a baby boy, you can be sure he'll be added to the list!)
#105 of 111 Old 10-23-2005, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleQ
i see a good number of intact boys -- including my own -- but i live in san francisco. i'm sure there's a higher percentage than many other cities/towns.
We're on the peninsula and I'm happy to report that intactness seems to be on the rise down this way as well. According to a doula friend of mine in the Stanford area, there's been a trend away from circ in the last 5 years.

From what I can tell, and what I have heard, intactness in San Francisco really started taking off about 15 years ago and nowadays the majority of youngsters in the city are whole - and we're talking white middle class professional types. The times they are a changin', at least in some places.
#106 of 111 Old 10-23-2005, 02:08 PM

That's pretty much the national trend. The circumcision rate plateaued in the early 1990's and took a reverse trend in the late '90's and has been in free fall since. It's been very localized with some areas showing differences in the 15% less range and other localities showing 50% or more decreases.

This same effect can be seen in other formerly circumcising countries such as Canada and Australia where in some areas the circumcision rate is in the 20% range and in others it's in the 1% range. I believe all of these countries will eventually equalize with a less than 5% rate for all provinces/states and a national rate around 1%. This includes the US.

ETA: California got a jump on everyone else when they defunded Medicaid circumcision 25 years ago. I think we will see the same effect in 10 years or less in the states that have defunded circumcision in the last few years. I can actually see it happening much sooner. When California defunded it, there was no internet and no organizations to provide information about circumcision and certainly no intactivist movement.

Frank
#107 of 111 Old 10-23-2005, 05:32 PM

Lots of intact boys here in Alberta. I only know of 2 that got circed, all the rest I've seen were intact, including my nepews (who definitely would have been cut if it were covered, my bil even thought about having it done when they were 4 and 2)

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#108 of 111 Old 10-24-2005, 04:36 PM

My children and all my friend's children are intact here in Ohio!
#109 of 111 Old 10-24-2005, 11:31 PM

Just chiming in from Florida...my little guy is intact and so are all but one of my girlfriends babies. Not sure what the actual rates are here.

Dana, mom to Avery & Natalie 7 , Cole 4 , and Baby #4 on the way!
#110 of 111 Old 10-25-2005, 12:06 AM

Aussie toddler intact here in Queensland.
I think the majority are around here, but I havn't actualy seen most of the boys at playgroup or my kids cousins that close up. so I'm asuming they are as any time I have, like my sil youngest who is 5, they have been intact. Only boy who I have seen to be circd was my friends son, when I changed his nappy, but this was 15 years ago!
#111 of 111 Old 10-25-2005, 05:31 PM

count three more for idaho!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page