circumcision - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 10-23-2005, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there anybody who is going to circ? Everyone seems so strongly oriented not to, I hope there isn't anyone who is, but doesn't feel comfortable saying so since so many people said they weren't. Of course some will do for religious reasons but anyone for other reasons?

And I'm not personally one that would do it for religious reasons, but at least in that context, the infant is around loving people, not in a nursery away from its family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 50 Old 10-23-2005, 01:10 PM

thanks, amy. you *know* how i feel, & i thought you were being quite sweet & helpful.

susan
#33 of 50 Old 10-23-2005, 01:25 PM

I like this website for circ info (it's the first one that I found when researching circ) www.mothersagainstcirc.org
When I started researching circ I was already pretty sure I wouldn't circ my baby but after reading all about it I was POSITIVE I wouldn't.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#34 of 50 Old 10-23-2005, 01:37 PM

I have posted my story lots of times. Sorry if your reading it again. I will not circumcise any of my sons. I was going to with my first but found MDC. I had no reason to other than I thought it was better to do it. No real reason though. My husband was not for it or against it. That was the easy part compared to some others here. I wonder what claims your husband can come up with that it is okay to do it. Ask him to do some research bc you need to know where each other stands and what grounds you have.

MrsAngelic~ can you let me know about your religious beliefs. I relaly don't know much about the Nazarene. Feel free to let me know privately or on here. Which ever you feel comfortable. Thanks
#35 of 50 Old 10-23-2005, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma
However....ugh. I hate to even talk about this. I have two boys with pretty severe delays, and at 3.5 years they're still in diapers. I have noticed that their foreskins are getting red and a little inflamed more often as they get older (yes, of course, I wash them very well and bathe them regularly). It's not a big deal, nothing that a little protective salve or neosporin won't fix, but it does make me sad to open up a diaper and see what looks to me to be a painful little spot on their foreskin. Part of me wishes (just sometimes) that we had had them circumcised. I dunno. I guess if it ever becomes a real problem we could opt for the surgery when they're older--at least then they'd get real pain relief and anesthesia!

Hi RedOakMama,

I know you're not the OP on this thread, but I couldn't read your post and not comment. I honestly think you're still looking at the foreskin as some unnecessary, extraneous bit of skin. If you had gotten them circumcised, and they had a sore spot on their penis--then what would you do? Would you have them re-circumcised? Please don't read hostility into my words. My intent is not to anger you, but to help you see a different point of view; the view that your sons foreskins are important in the way an ear or leg is important.

Okay, back to reading this thread so hopefully I can offer the OP some good advice.

~Nay--who spent her entire pregnancy researching circumcision vs. leaving him intact, and chose--Intact!

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
#36 of 50 Old 10-23-2005, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrutledge
Thank You everyone for your support. I agree that it should be the childs choice as it is his penis. We left dd the way she was born and I intend to do the same if we have a son.

Glad to hear that.

If you have a strong stomach, here is a link to a video of an actual circumcision. http://www.intact.ca/video.html

This is the video my sister watched with me. Before watching it she was pro-circ and wondering why we didn't have Antonin circumcised. After the procedure was finished and the baby in the video lie there shrieking I turned to her and asked," Is that what we should have done to Antonin?" Her response was running to the bathroom to puke. It is that horrible.

I have a webpage about circumcision. Maybe you would like to show your husband? http://www.huluhae.com/antonin&anticirc.html

Best!
~Nay

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
#37 of 50 Old 10-23-2005, 02:20 PM

The following web sites and books are just a few of the excellent sources for more circumcision information:

www.nocirc.org
www.noharmm.org
www.norm.org
www.cirp.org
www.circumcision.org

A Doctor Re-examines Circumcision by Thomas J. Ritter, M.D. and George C. Denniston, M.D.

What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Circumcision by Paul Fleiss, M.D. and Frederick M. Hodges, D.Phil

Questioning Circumcision - A Jewish Perspective by Ronald Goldman, Ph.D.

Sex As Nature Intended It by Kristen O'Hara with Jeffery O'Hara

My DS is intact, as is my DH. All future sons will be too, of course. The United States is really the only country with such a high routine infant circumcision rate [which is rapidly declining], and even the AAP have now admitted that there are no medical benefits to circumcision.

You wouldn't cut out your baby's kidneys because of *possible* future risks of kidney stones or the tonsils because of *possible* future risks of tonsilitis, right?

I have a medical background. The foreskin is an organ with important functions. Cutting it off has severe effects, physically and psychologically [see the links above]. Why mess with perfection?
#38 of 50 Old 10-23-2005, 02:44 PM

There are no positives from hacking off a chunk of penis. None. Zip. Don't do it. Don't allow it to be done. Protect your sons like you protect your daughters.

-Angela
#39 of 50 Old 10-23-2005, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
There are no positives from hacking off a chunk of penis. None. Zip. Don't do it. Don't allow it to be done. Protect your sons like you protect your daughters.

-Angela

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#40 of 50 Old 10-23-2005, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I have two boys with pretty severe delays, and at 3.5 years they're still in diapers. I have noticed that their foreskins are getting red and a little inflamed more often as they get older (yes, of course, I wash them very well and bathe them regularly). It's not a big deal, nothing that a little protective salve or neosporin won't fix, but it does make me sad to open up a diaper and see what looks to me to be a painful little spot on their foreskin. Part of me wishes (just sometimes) that we had had them circumcised. I dunno. I guess if it ever becomes a real problem we could opt for the surgery when they're older--at least then they'd get real pain relief and anesthesia!
I don't want to hijack the thread, but we help many Moms with problems such as this at Mothering's circumcision forum "The Case Against Circumcision" and I feel certain we can help you as well. Please visit with us and tell your story and let's see if we can help you with your sons.

Frank
#41 of 50 Old 10-23-2005, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAngelic
hmm... I see you really try to force your beliefs. I am not Christian or Jewish, I am a Nazarene. I saw your link and found it very aggressive. It is great to share your view, but let's try and do it in a non-assaultive manner, not degrading those that don't agree with you. Thank you.
I thought Nazarenes were Christian? An offshoot of Methodist? And Amy circs her kids for religious reasons, so I highly doubt she'd try to offend anyone who does the same. If you're not Christian, then there's no reason to be offended. And if you are, well, then, you should understand that the OP in that post Amy linked to wrote that as a spin-off of another thread that I think got pretty heated, so that's why her tone was a little, um, not so nice. It's quite common around here to find moms who believe in circing for religious reasons (and many who whave), yet are opposed to routine infant circumcision. Nothing wrong w/ trying to pass info on to make sure people are making an educated decision. Anywho... I'll boogie out of here now and I won't be back!
#42 of 50 Old 10-23-2005, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Not to beat a dead horse, but I had dug this up for a friend in the past. Christians do not need to circ their sons.

Here's the link.

http://www.noharmm.org/christianparent.htm
#43 of 50 Old 10-24-2005, 12:07 AM

....Ummmm....thanks for the offers of help, and I appreciate the non-aggressive tones (). Mothering my boys is sort of case-specific, I think even more so than "typical" mothering, and we're just making our way through as best we know how. I doubt I would ever opt to have any of my boys circumcised, but I am glad that there's always an option later in life. I know that's offensive to some, but again--you'd have to be here in our house, in our shoes. Neither of my boys speak, and neither of them have the faculties to clean themselves. If at some point their foreskins become a hindrance to them (and I really doubt it will), it's a surgery I consider "optional." Unfortunately our boys will never be able to choose for themselves (something many people here talk about as an option for their adult sons).... if at some point in their lives we do the evaluating and decide a circumcised penis is best for them, then that's a difficult choice we'll make.

I'd really appreciate it the discussion of my sons' case is dropped. I realize I shouldn't have brought it up if I didn't want to defend my words, but honestly--I just don't have the emotional energy to start defending the difficult choices that *might* occur when I'm parenting two severely disabled boys. Thanks, all. Again, I appreciated your kinds words and offers of advice/help.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#44 of 50 Old 10-24-2005, 12:40 AM

I didn't know if you realized we have a circ forum, but this thread would be more appropriate over there. Sending you there now.
#45 of 50 Old 10-24-2005, 12:51 AM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
I do not feel that I have the right to circumsize my child.

Exactly, honey. Stand up for your baby.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#46 of 50 Old 10-24-2005, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Ok mamas pleae help me out here. Cases for/against cutting. I do not feel that I have the right to circumsize my child. I feel that it is purely cosmetic and therefore not my right as it is not my penis. I have no one in my support circle including dh who agrees with me. Honestly at this point hoping for a girl so it's not an issue
Why isn't it an issue if you have girl?
Apply those same reasons to a boy.

Momma to three fine children, one that lives in my heart and two that live in my arms.
Circumcision is wrong, regardless of gender
#47 of 50 Old 10-24-2005, 03:05 AM

Quote:
....Ummmm....thanks for the offers of help, and I appreciate the non-aggressive tones (). Mothering my boys is sort of case-specific, I think even more so than "typical" mothering, and we're just making our way through as best we know how. I doubt I would ever opt to have any of my boys circumcised, but I am glad that there's always an option later in life. I know that's offensive to some, but again--you'd have to be here in our house, in our shoes. Neither of my boys speak, and neither of them have the faculties to clean themselves. If at some point their foreskins become a hindrance to them (and I really doubt it will), it's a surgery I consider "optional." Unfortunately our boys will never be able to choose for themselves (something many people here talk about as an option for their adult sons).... if at some point in their lives we do the evaluating and decide a circumcised penis is best for them, then that's a difficult choice we'll make.
Your doubts that it will ever be necessary are most likely right. However, you may be given wrong information by medical providers such as retracting young boys to clean inside the foreskin, circumcision for phimosis and circumcision for treatment of infections instead of simple antibiotics. We hope you will use this forum as a resource for information.

Quote:
I'd really appreciate it the discussion of my sons' case is dropped. I realize I shouldn't have brought it up if I didn't want to defend my words, but honestly--I just don't have the emotional energy to start defending the difficult choices that *might* occur when I'm parenting two severely disabled boys. Thanks, all. Again, I appreciated your kinds words and offers of advice/help.
Nobody here in The Case Against Circumcision wants you to defend your words, we want to help you with your son's forskin problems with legitimate medical information. We're on the same page with you.

Frank
#48 of 50 Old 10-24-2005, 08:04 PM

To the OP: One thing that has been said before on other threads (but not on this one... unless I missed it ) is that it is the responsibility of the parent who wants to have the son go through major cosmetic surgery who needs to prove why it needs to be done. You do not need to prove a thing. If your dh can find you one solid medical reason/study/etc. why it should be done (and if you can't argue against it, then we can definitely help you there!) then you can agree to have it done.

The truth is that there are no solid medical reasons to have it done. There are cosmetic reasons and religious reasons. Honestly though, why would someone put a child through a serious surgery for cosmetic reasons? Let's just tattoo mom's name on his bicep while we're at it. Or pierce his belly button. Or chop off his ears so we don't have to wash behind them!

Circing itself brings more risk of infection at least at first. Let's give the baby a surgery where the wound in question has to heal while being covered with a diaper and fecal matter Sounds like a great recipe for an infection and a lot of pain for the baby, not to mention work for the mother who has to try to keep the wound clean and uninfected.

When the baby isn't circed, there's no wound to clean, there's no extra care whatsoever (except in the pediatrician's office to watch out for the doctor's potential ignorance with regards to premature retraction). No pain for baby. No extra work for mom.

I'm very happy with my dh's intact penis and he has never had any trouble with it! In fact... I don't even quite grasp how a circed penis would even work I've never really been around one (except my little brothers... but I've never ever even TOUCHED one except to change my youngest brother's diaper). The circ rate around here is very low though. It just keeps getting lower too I'm lucky that my dh would just as soon chop his arm or leg off as circ a son if we have one! That's how much he appreciates the fact that his mother stood up for him when he was a baby. I'm almost positive that my FIL is circed and dh never even really noticed when he was growing up though he says he thinks his dad is... so it's really not a big deal to look like the father either. It can be very important to the father... but there are healthier ways of dealing with that issue than by mutilating the son!

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#49 of 50 Old 10-24-2005, 08:08 PM

's to RedOakMomma

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#50 of 50 Old 10-25-2005, 02:03 AM
Fi.

Quote:
Let's just tattoo mom's name on his bicep while we're at it.
The bicep? Nahhhh, I'd rather do it right across his chest

Long distance Mom to boarding school superstars E (9) and Layne (6).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page