He's ballooning! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-21-2005, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It may seem silly but I just had to share since no one else I know would understand. I just noticed that DS has started ballooning when he pees and I know it's a step towards retraction and it just feels like he's growing up too fast!!! He's only 9 months old! Whay can't he stay a baby forever? Whaaa!

:LOL :LOL :LOL

It's almost like a special milestone only a mother can appreciate. I'm sure some dads care too, but I told DH about it and he was just like, "So?"

But it also made me sad too, because I know that my GMIL had her son circ'ed at age one because a stupid doc told her it "had to be done" because ballooning wasn't normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 10-21-2005, 07:21 PM

Not only is it a milestone but a small indicator that everything is normal.

Frank
#3 of 11 Old 10-22-2005, 11:37 AM

Another milestone reached!
I see in your siggie that he's walking, too?
#4 of 11 Old 10-22-2005, 11:50 AM

WOW...educate me!!! I have been "on the look out" (as advised by my mr all natural heomipathoc sp? DR) for this...and was told its not normal, very rare and would need sergury??

He said it only happens when the foreskin grows closed and the pee cant come out so the penis balloons out.... and I must admit that made sense

so what is it really?...
#5 of 11 Old 10-22-2005, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwimutti
WOW...educate me!!! I have been "on the look out" (as advised by my mr all natural heomipathoc sp? DR) for this...and was told its not normal, very rare and would need sergury??

He said it only happens when the foreskin grows closed and the pee cant come out so the penis balloons out.... and I must admit that made sense

so what is it really?...
Your doctor is dangerously misinformed. Ballooning is what happens when the top of the foreskin detaches from the glans before the opening does. When that happens, the space between the foreskin and the glans will fill with urine when your ds pees. It's a temporary stage in the retraction process. Once your ds can retract fully, ballooning will no longer happen. The worst that will happen is that urinating can get rather messy. You may want to have your ds sit to pee until he's fully retractable.
Search this forum for threads on ballooning. Other people can explain it better than I can. It doesn't happen to all boys, either. Neither of my sons went through this.
#6 of 11 Old 10-22-2005, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

I'm under the impression that as long as the pee is coming out (whether it's slow, fast, or spraying), everything is normal. Your doctor is completely wrong and he will probably be wrong about other thing in the future. Foreskins are just like any other part of the body. They are different from boy to boy, they will go through many changes, they may get rashes or even infections. If your doctor mentions circumcision before anything even remotely questionable happens, I would run the opposite direction.

And yes, he's walking...all over the place! He took his first steps the day after he turned 8 months. I can't say I'm surprised though, he's insisted on doing everything early since the day he was born.

Like I said, he's growing up TOO FAST!!!
#7 of 11 Old 10-22-2005, 12:43 PM

Isn't it exciting??!? I was so pumped when I noticed that K started ballooning. My friend (also intact son) was like, what's ballooning, and why are you calling me about it?
#8 of 11 Old 10-22-2005, 01:01 PM

thanks! (and darn it!! I thought I had finally found a DR I could relax about...*sigh*) I have more questions, about ds's penis...and I was about to ask this DR....maybe I should post here instead...hmmm

(I find myself constantly feeling how Socrates must have felt...sorry I keep bringing that up...but sinse the beginning of time its been a problem...the so called professionals and experts being so uninterested in their own area of expertese that they are actually being dangerious!!! because of their lack of actual understanding : )

walking at 8mths!!...and I was amazed by my 10mth ds...to me he still looks like a baby so its weird seeing him just trundeling along going whereever he feels like (usually to follow his sis)...so an 8mth old must look too darn cute!!
#9 of 11 Old 10-22-2005, 01:04 PM

Quote:

so what is it really?...

When boys are born, the foreskin is tightly fused to the glans just like the fingernails are fused to the nailbeds and it's with the very same tissue, synecchia or the epithelium layer.

At sometime, the foreskin will become retractile but for it to happen, two things must happen. (A) the non-elastic tissue that surrounds the foreskin opening will be replaced with elastic tissue as a normal part of your sons development and (B) the epithelium layer has to disolve to release the foreskin from the glans. These two steps can happen in either A then B order or in B then A order. If it's A then B, the foreskin will retract by degrees over a period of years and you will be able to see the normal adhesions that are yet to disolve when your son pulls his foreskin back. If it's B then A, some or all of the normal adhesions will disolve while the foreskin opening stays tight for a while. In this case, it is quite normal for the foreskin to balloon significantly during urination and then slowly deflate. Eventually, the preputial sphincter will become elastic and there will be no more ballooning.

Your doctor is as wrong as wrong can be. As long as your son can completely void, there is nothing to worry about and there are treatments that do not involve surgery. Don't let this doctor and his ignorance cause harm to your son. If he's this misinformed about such a simple issue, how badly could he be misinformed about life threatening issues?

Frank
#10 of 11 Old 10-22-2005, 01:09 PM

Quote:
thanks! (and darn it!! I thought I had finally found a DR I could relax about...*sigh*) I have more questions, about ds's penis...and I was about to ask this DR....maybe I should post here instead...hmmm
Yes, do ask them here! I can't stretch my imagination far enough to think of something that has not already been asked and we give answers that have been thoroughly researched freely.

Frank
#11 of 11 Old 10-22-2005, 01:28 PM

thanks frank, i see now. posted my question...so i can stop hyjacking this party...

so Shaunam.woohoo..I understand that this calls for :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page