Need advice--work related.....UPDATED - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 10-28-2005, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I teach high school. I have a pretty good rapport with most of my students. I have over 200 students.

Anyway, a student raised his hand in one of my classes today, and asked, "Mrs. X, is it true that you have a bumper sticker on your car that says, "Say no to circumcision"?

I replied, "yes, that's true." (I've never ever mentioned this to them, but obviously a student must have seen me in my car.)

A girl then asked, "Did you put it on your car as a joke?"

I responded, "No, it's not a joke."

Then she asked, "Did you get it for free?"

And I responded, "No, I didn't get it for free. I had to think about the issue when I had my son and I had to make that decision for him. Our cars reflect ourselves, and so my bumper sticker is a part of who I am and what decision I made for my son. If anyone wants more information, I'd be happy to talk to you one-on-one later. Right now, let's get back to work."

So, how'd I do?

Now, for the advice I need. My 200+ students are all talking about this. (I know because a girl from a DIFFERENT class period came in after school and said, "Mrs. X, tell me about your bumper sticker." I asked her how she knew about my bumper sticker, and she said, "Oh, everyone's talking about it."

So......next week, I'll have other classes who want to bring this subject up! (We have every-other-day classes.) So, I need to think about what to say to them. If I had a class of just girls, that would be a piece of cake. But I don't. I'll be staring into the faces of boys, as well. We live in a high-circ area, and these boys are 16 or 17 years old, so it's a good bet that at least 90% of them are circ'd. I, of course, don't want to make them feel bad about their circ status. But at the same time I want to educate them as future fathers!

ALSO, it's one of those schools where parents like to call the principal and complain about every little thing. I don't want parent phone calls over this! So it's the perfect time to educate 200 or so future parents, but I don't want to say the wrong thing. Any thoughts?
#2 of 50 Old 10-28-2005, 07:52 PM

I think you have done GREAT so far!!
I would answer their questions honestly. I think it's tricky because it is likely they will bring it up to mom and dad and I can see a lot of parents complaining (no matter what you say). I hope some other people on here can give you better advice.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#3 of 50 Old 10-28-2005, 08:03 PM

My idea: Put another bumpersticker on your car, that has nocirc.org's website address. Or, tape a little info sheet with further info/resources for those who want to learn more on the inside of one of the back windows. You can have anything you want on your car-it's your property-and that way you can provide additional info without actually talking about it in class.

If you're comfortable talking about it in class, and you don't think that's going to be a problem or will somehow get you into trouble (especially if religion comes into it, separation of church and state and all that)...I think that's great!

It's a great age to be introducing the topic to them...hopefully, long before they have children of their own and while they're still impressionable. :-)

Jen
#4 of 50 Old 10-28-2005, 08:17 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#5 of 50 Old 10-28-2005, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i agree that it will probably become the controversy of the century, but adding a bumper sticker with the web address or one that says something like "no elective plastic surgery for babies" makes just one point and gets them thinking, but not preachy like about how its mutiliation (although it is)
what a platform you have (for which you didn't even ask)
good luck
#6 of 50 Old 10-28-2005, 08:28 PM

I think you handled it wonderfully. When I was teaching/interning at the high school level, I had a pagan sticker and a rainbow sticker on the back of my car. Some kids noticed and it came up in several classes. I got a little nervous about the possible repercussions, being that the teachers and administration there would, in part, determine if I got my certification and I'd heard horror stories about teachers who walked outside the lines in some communities. Well, there were repercussions of a sort . . . I was asked to come in and speak to 3 history classes during their unit on Salem witchcraft trials and ended up helping lead the school's GLBT student organization.

It's wonderful, as a student, to have teachers who will demonstrate their commitment to their beliefs, even if they're different than your own. High school, to me, is all about learning how to find information and make up your own mind. Being let into the mind of a mentor, to see how you reached your own decisions about ethical issues, is a valuable gift you can give them, especially when you phrase it the way you did -- nonjudgmentally.
#7 of 50 Old 10-28-2005, 08:38 PM

Re: having to speak to a bunch of cut boys....I would emphasize that fifteen-twenty years ago, we knew much less about the functions/benefits of the foreskin than we do now and the medical advice was to cut it off. Medical thinking and research has changed a lot in that time and the AAP, which used to recommend circ, no longer does. Also, today's parents are able to find out information on the web that is more up-to-date than what many doctors know. (This oughta resonate with your kids!). So kids today can let their parents off the hook because their parents thought they were acting in their kids' best interests. (Above all, don't blame the parents!)

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#8 of 50 Old 10-28-2005, 10:06 PM

I think you did great! You are in the perfect environment to enlighten these kids.....just think of the impact you could have! Maybe you could just print out some informational pamphlets to hand out to those who are curious. There are a couple of really good ones out there.

http://www.nocirc.org/publish/3pam.pdf

or,
http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcisi...lications.html

Good luck to you!

Tara

Tara Momma to Callum and Gavin
#9 of 50 Old 10-28-2005, 11:51 PM

If your class brings it up again you could also have a little lesson about activism. Tell them that this is an issue that you feel strongly about. The sticker was an easy way to get other people to think about it- especially since it is something that is not normally discussed. Then have them design their own bumper sticker on a cause or issue that is important to them- and offer them class time to share them.

There are many ways to make this an object lesson-- that times change, misperceptions continue, change is hard. You could make analogies (such as to breastfeeding or the medicalization of birth), etc. GLobal lessons in how the US is the only country that does it, etc. etc.

Keep us posted!

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#10 of 50 Old 10-29-2005, 12:02 AM

I'd bet that a good number of teenage boys don't even know they're circ'd (or what circ really is rather). My dh didn't realize he was missing something from his anatomy until he was 17 or so. Putting the resources in their hands (I love the nocirc bumper sticker idea!) and letting them do their own research is the most empowering thing you can do for them, IMO. Who knows, you may just be cultivating intactivists!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#11 of 50 Old 10-29-2005, 01:22 AM

Psst, PM jee'smom, if she doesn't pop in here. She teaches anatomy, so she has the opportunity to bring the subject up in her classes, but perhaps she has some insight on approach that might help you.
#12 of 50 Old 10-29-2005, 03:30 AM

I think the way I would handle it is to prepare an information sheet of websites. I'd announce that "On xday I want to take some time to discuss my bumper sticker with you. I've prepared a sheet of resources for you that you can use to prepare for xday and we will discuss your questions then.

Prepare a short statement for xday, present it and then open the floor up for a question and answer session. Have a list of issues you want to cover and check them off as they ask questions and discuss the ones they didn't ask about at the end of the question and answer session.

This follows a sales format I used for many years and it works very well.

Frank
#13 of 50 Old 10-29-2005, 03:56 AM

I would suggest that you tell them to look up the information themselves. That way they find it by themselves without you being involved.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#14 of 50 Old 10-29-2005, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
First of all, you obviously have a good relationship with your students if they are willing to talk to you about this in class - My hat is off to you!!!

I think you handled it beautifully - especially considering that you were blind-sided.

I like someone else's comment about activism, and how important it is to stand up for things in which you believe - even if (especially if?) your ideas are not mainstream.

I wouldn't go into a lot of detail in class - you don't say what subject you teach, but unless it's health or ethics, this probably isn't part of your curriculum! But I do think it's important to address student questions - on or off-topic.

Led them lead the discussion - it could be that they are curious about why you oppose RIC, or they may be curious abot why you advertise your believes. I would try to stick with the facts about RIC (which are plenty condemning on their own) in as neutral a manner as possible - and if you attach any blame at all, direct it toward the medical community (of course if some of your students have doctors and nurses for parents, you'll probably hear from them!).

Finally, it's a good opportunity to reinforce how important it is to respect each others' differences.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#15 of 50 Old 10-29-2005, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1
If your class brings it up again you could also have a little lesson about activism. Tell them that this is an issue that you feel strongly about. The sticker was an easy way to get other people to think about it- especially since it is something that is not normally discussed. Then have them design their own bumper sticker on a cause or issue that is important to them- and offer them class time to share them.

I think this is a good idea. This fits in with staying with my "safe" answer I gave the original class asking the question--that our cars represent ourselves, and the bumper sticker represents the decision I made for my son (which still plants a huge seed, I think.)

It was funny--as soon as the topic came up, the class was abuzz with their own side-conversations. I have really good hearing, so I could tune into a couple of them. One girl said to the boy next to her, "You mean they don't HAVE to circumcise?" and he replied, "No, it's optional."

Another girl asked the boy next to her, "What IS circumcision?" and he replied, "It's surgery on the baby's penis." She then asked, "To make it bigger???" That one almost made me laugh!

The only concern I have about telling them to go research it themselves is that there are so many pro-circ websites out there.

The concern I have about discussing it in too much detail--like mentioning words such as "penis" and "foreskin" (beyond offending anyone) is that I COULD get accused of teaching sex ed, which is a big no-no outside of a health classroom (and even then, the health teachers have to get parental permission slips signed.)
#16 of 50 Old 10-29-2005, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama369
I think you handled it wonderfully. When I was teaching/interning at the high school level, I had a pagan sticker and a rainbow sticker on the back of my car. Some kids noticed and it came up in several classes. I got a little nervous about the possible repercussions, being that the teachers and administration there would, in part, determine if I got my certification and I'd heard horror stories about teachers who walked outside the lines in some communities. Well, there were repercussions of a sort . . . I was asked to come in and speak to 3 history classes during their unit on Salem witchcraft trials and ended up helping lead the school's GLBT student organization.

WOW. You obviously teach/taught in a different state than the one I'm in!!!! Let me guess........California or Oregon?
#17 of 50 Old 10-30-2005, 06:55 AM

I think you've handled it beautifully so far.

Please keep us posted on how things develop.
#18 of 50 Old 10-30-2005, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Honestly I'm a LITTLE embarrassed by it, because I'm a pretty private person! (And even though I thought some students might notice my car, I didn't think that anyone would bring it up for a class discussion.)
#19 of 50 Old 10-30-2005, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Circ
Honestly I'm a LITTLE embarrassed by it, because I'm a pretty private person! (And even though I thought some students might notice my car, I didn't think that anyone would bring it up for a class discussion.)
What you are seeing is a difference in the generations. I grew up on the cusp of the "Sexual Revolution" and see great differences in the people who are just a couple of years older than me and people who are just a couple of years younger. It's almost a night and day thing.

Today's youth are very free and open about discussing sexual issues, much to the alarm of their parents. They were not exposed to the "sex is dirty" message of the 1950's and early 1960's and for the most part, their parents weren't either. They just don't see that talking about normal sexual issues is a big deal in most areas of the country.

Frank
#20 of 50 Old 10-30-2005, 08:32 PM

I think it is reasonable to be concerned about what you have the right and don't have the right to bring up in the classroom.

On the one hand, I would bring it up with your superiors first. Of course that would probably come to the conclusion of "you can't say anything". And then that completely takes away freedom of speech. And then would all the ingenious creative thinkers be......................?..........squelched!

There are some ways that have been introduced that seem to keep the subject alive without making it part of your classroom time.

If you are concerned about anyone finding the "pro-circ" sites then you could begin a discussion about research and conflicting information and how one develops discernment. And this applies to everything, not just circumcision!

Good Luck
#21 of 50 Old 10-31-2005, 11:06 AM

There are some very good suggestions here, and I wanted to add my own two cents worth.

I would suggest that you make tell them that you have made some printouts, and that they are welcome to take them and read them over. This would give them the power to choose to take or not take the information without actively teaching them about it, and possibly having negative parental reactions.

Give more than just links, and use only unbiased medical references. Keeping it to medical sources will keep it from being seen as biased propaganda, or a personal opinion that some parents may find offensive.

These are great sources:
http://www.medem.com/search/article_..._typ=NAV_SERCH

www.cps.ca/english/statements/FN/fn96-01.htm

http://www.racp.edu.au/hpu/paed/circ...on/summary.htm

This is another very succinct, very informative link from the Canadian Pediatric Society:
www.caringforkids.cps.ca/babies/Circumcision.htm

Whether you propose a question and answer period after class, invite anonymous questions for a future specific answer handout (again optional) , offer one-on-one answers, or bring in an intact nude model for show and tell (not recommended), I applaud your willingness to educate. Some of those kids (male and female) know practically nothing of the function of the foreskin, or only know the schoolyard version. Anything factual that you can offer will not only educate, but will stimulate them further questioning the concept. Knowledge is power.

BRAVO!
#22 of 50 Old 11-02-2005, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE.....

Well, with my own classes, things have been pretty anti-climactic...no one brought it up again.

BUT, the child development teacher is going to let me talk to her classes for about 10 minutes each! (Next week.) And I received permission from the principal to leave my classes that long and go to her classes and talk about this. (The teacher had four girls, so she said she never had to decide for herself. But she has heard the cervical cancer myth.....any help debunking that?)

So, in addition to the advice I've received above, if you have any pointers for what to say to the child development classes, that would be great! (Mostly girls, but some boys.)

And I want to say that the percentage has really decreased.....from about 90% in the 1980s to about 60% now. Is that accurate?

Is it also accurate to say that the AAP doesn't recommend circ?
#23 of 50 Old 11-02-2005, 09:37 PM

Quote:
UPDATE.....
But she has heard the cervical cancer myth.....any help debunking that?
That's an easy one. Cervical cancer is caused by the Human Papilloma Virus. It has a latency period of 16 to 20 years, so in most cases, it is virtually impossible to determine it's source. In a study, 13-15 year old girls were tested for DNA traces of infection of HPV and it was found in 54.6% of them. The conclusion was that they were infected as they passed through the birth canal. HPV is so easily transmitted that you can contract it simply by shaking hands with an infected person. Luckily, 97% - 98% develop a natural immunity and for those who don't, there is now a quick, simple test and Merck Pharmaceuticals has announced a vaccine that will be available within the next two months and Smithkline has announced one that will be available early next year. The Merck vaccine has been shown to be 100% effective even in those already infected and has shown no adverse reactions. Any connection between circumcision status and cervical cancer has been rendered moot.

[quote]And I want to say that the percentage has really decreased.....from about 90% in the 1980s to about 60% now. Is that accurate?[quote]

According to the CDC, the 2003 rate was 56.9% and that was down 11.6% from 2001. Assuming the same drop, the 2005 rate is +/-50% and in 2006 the rate will be well below 50%. The 2003 rate was the lowest in more than 50 years and we will continue to turn the clock back even faster than has been.

Quote:
Is it also accurate to say that the AAP doesn't recommend circ?
Yes, it is. However, the AAP has the weakest policy statement of all and every other medical association in the world recommends strongly against it.

Frank
#24 of 50 Old 11-02-2005, 09:50 PM

I just wanted to say that I think it's great that these kids asked about it. I don't think I even knew what circ was when I was in high school, and if I had I never would have discussed it! (Catholic school ) Things sure have changed....
#25 of 50 Old 11-03-2005, 04:14 AM
Fi.

I would mention that no one in the world does it except for us -- a lot of people don't know that.

Long distance Mom to boarding school superstars E (9) and Layne (6).
#26 of 50 Old 11-03-2005, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly Speaking
The Merck vaccine has been shown to be 100% effective even in those already infected and has shown no adverse reactions.
Weeeell... all I'm saying is, I'd head over to the vax board and search HPV and see what they have to say on that. I trust Merck about as much as I'd trust the devil himself.
#27 of 50 Old 11-03-2005, 11:55 AM

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette
Weeeell... all I'm saying is, I'd head over to the vax board and search HPV and see what they have to say on that. I trust Merck about as much as I'd trust the devil himself.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#28 of 50 Old 11-03-2005, 12:44 PM

Ammunition against the cervical cancer myth:
http://www.cirp.org/library/disease/cancer/

In short: The study that first claimed to have found a link between non-circumcision and cervical cancer (in the 1960ies) was faulty. Other studies have found no connection. Factors that really do influence cervical cancer risk include smoking, number of sexual partners, HPV. The relative immunity of Jewish women to cervical cancer has been traced back to genetics. A recent study (2002) about the connection between non-circumcision and HPV infection has faced harsh criticism because of methodological flaws. All in all, the scientific evidence is not convincing at all. And then there's the soon-to-be vaccine...

Other myths:
http://www.cirp.org/library/disease/

Stardust
#29 of 50 Old 11-03-2005, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette
The trials found no adverse reactions. We can't condemn something simply because of the company that makes it. This is not for infants, it's for those who have tested positive for HPV infection that can lead to cervical cancer. Most infected women/people will develop a natural immunity to the virus. Only about 2%-3% will not. This vaccine is for those people. You can bet your life that if I tested positive for HPV, I would be getting the vaccine and if adverse reactions showed up later, it would be worth the microscopic risk that adverse reactions would show up. I would hate to know that I had knowingly passed on a pathogen to a loved one that caused a life threatening cancer and I'm not about to give up my sex life.

Frank
#30 of 50 Old 11-03-2005, 01:26 PM

Quote:
WOW. You obviously teach/taught in a different state than the one I'm in!!!! Let me guess........California or Oregon?
Connecticut.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page