Would you consider *any* cosmetic procedure for your baby? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 12-14-2005, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora114
:

I put purple manic panic in my *2.5yo* DD's hair..semi permenant hair color..she wanted it..she kept bugging me for "purple hair" because mommy had purple hair...so, I put it in...it's just hair, it isn't a permenant hair color.....it has no chemicals...why not?

Guess I'm a bad mom......
Sounds kind of cute, actually......I'm thinking more 'pagent' mom stuff. I actually know two different families that do this...One has a child now in 2nd grade whom she had been giving perms/highlights to since kindergarten...and the other has a 5th grade boy whom she began highlighting about 1.5 years ago....It just strikes me as funny that beauty seems so important that the hair has to be highlighted/permed....and the kids are already so sweet-looking...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 48 Old 12-14-2005, 01:31 PM

Frank - I'm no orthodontist, but if teeth need braces, generally it's more than cosmetic, I think.
I had braces for 3 years, and I had to have permanant teeth removed before the braces were put on because I had a very small jaw (I have 24 teeth now instead of the usual 28). If I hadn't had them done, I would most likely have a very crowded mouth as an adult, bite problems, and problems with decay where my teeth would be overlapping. I have "perfect" teeth now, and have never had a cavity, and the decision to have braces was made *with* me at the age of 11.
#33 of 48 Old 12-14-2005, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly Speaking
OK, here's something to ruminate:

What if the child had teeth that weren't attractive but not malformed or crooked? Would you get braces fitted? I know it's not surgery but it is a change of their body and it is permanent and in this case, it would be totally cosmetic.
That was me in high school. I had one crroked tooth, right in the front, and I asked for braces.

I'm glad I was the one who got to make the decision!

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#34 of 48 Old 12-14-2005, 02:47 PM

Quote:
OK, here's something to ruminate:

What if the child had teeth that weren't attractive but not malformed or crooked? Would you get braces fitted? I know it's not surgery but it is a change of their body and it is permanent and in this case, it would be totally cosmetic.

If he wanted them, then yes I'd consent to it AFTER he was fully informed of what to expect.

fwiw, ds1 is currently going through some orthodontia. In his case, it's not completely cosmetic, but still we wouldn't have gone through with it if he had not consented.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#35 of 48 Old 12-14-2005, 03:13 PM

I had (well, still have) a very dear friend in school with a similiar birthmark but his stretched onto his neck as well. I do not ever remember him being teased. He was very popular and we all just sort of were unphased by it. It was just Sam, you know? He did not seem to mind it at all...it was just his face, grown up with it all his life and that was just his reality...very simple thinking about it. He is my age now and has not gotten surgery or ever really considered it.

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#36 of 48 Old 12-14-2005, 03:15 PM

My mother took us both in for orthodontic review when I was 14 and brother was 16. His teeth were very crooked and he was the one that insisted on the braces. The dentist said he didn't need any, it was just cosmetic. I didn't really want them but was told I needed them. Oh well. If I had been informed enough (I was only 14) I would have researched it more to see if I really did. It was an experience I hated, I wore them for 4 years. My brother always resented that I got them and he didn't. He was a VERY handsome man and felt that his crooked teeth detracted from his looks. That's his choice, his body. I wish he had gotten braces as he wanted them so much.
#37 of 48 Old 12-14-2005, 03:42 PM

I was facing a slightly, slightly similar pressure for my 5yr old at the time. My Ped and mom and aunt wanted me to have my DD checked by a dematologist for a capillary *spider* on her cheek. I agreed and had her checked out. It was just cosmetic, and the only thing he could do was laser it. I decided it wasn't worth it. It didn't hurt her, and it wasn't dangerous for her. She wasn't asking for it to be fixed, and she proabably wouldn't have even noticed it if it wasn't for everyone talking about it.

My aunt was ready to pay for us to have it done so DD wouldn't feel bad about herself in her new school, etc. DD wasn't self-conscious about it, and she didn't have any desire one way or the other about having it treated. My aunt couldn't understand why *I* didn't just *decide* FOR my minor child to have it done "for her own good." My Dd decided when she wanted her ears pierced, and she can decide if she ever wants to do anything about the spot on her cheek. BTW, I'm very glad we let it be b/c it is more than half gone all by itself.

The only way I would do any sort of painful(after pains included) cosmetic procedure on my child would be for something dangerous, like an extra, unusable digit that could be ripped off if left. I don't consider something that looks bad AND causes damage to another part of the body as cosmetic, that would be medically necessary to me.
#38 of 48 Old 12-14-2005, 03:56 PM

Our children will all probably end up with orthodontic work...but out oldest (11) already has them. He had such a bad underbite that it looked like the had buck teeth...in actuality, his lower jaw didn't grow properly...as a result, he also had mild speech issues and did speech therapy in earlier elementary school. He won't die from it, but we are having it fixed...it will require 3 years of braces and the orthodontist said that if it isn't completely fixed by the braces he may need oral surgery as a young adult.

Our daughter has an underbite as well, though it isn't as bad....she is only in the 4th grade now, but she has already managed to chip a tooth and her teeth have worn improperly on one side...she has some serious wear and tear going on...I'd like her to avoid dentures as an grandma...so yes...we will spring for the braces.

And btw...I don't think doing braces for cosmetic reasons is all that bad anyway.

kris
#39 of 48 Old 12-14-2005, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamohumm6
Frank - I'm no orthodontist, but if teeth need braces, generally it's more than cosmetic, I think.
Generally, that's true but there are cases where it is purely cosmetic such as wide spaces between the teeth and teeth that are not straight but are causing no problems. Some of my back teeth are crooked but no one other than my dentist and I know. Braces for me would have not improved my dental health or life. It would have been purely cosmetic.

I know that unattractive teeth can torpedo careers and your love life. I know a woman that is very attractive until she smiles and then she becomes far less attractive. Because of her circumstances in life, I have no doubt that she has adequate dental care and she could certainly afford braces. Should her parents have had this done for her while she was a child?

Let the discussion continue!

Frank
#40 of 48 Old 12-14-2005, 05:26 PM

Well, in that case, there's absolutely no reason an adult can't have braces, either. I know lots of adults that have them now, because their parents couldn't afford them when they were kids!
#41 of 48 Old 12-14-2005, 05:31 PM

Yes, I have a good friend who is 47 and is using the Invisalign braces. It seems like a good thing for her. It doesn't even seem to impair her speech (which is good, b/c I'm not very good at sign language yet) as much as I thought they would. I'm not sure why she's using them, but if it makes her happier about her smile,
#42 of 48 Old 12-14-2005, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I know a woman that is very attractive until she smiles and then she becomes far less attractive. Because of her circumstances in life, I have no doubt that she has adequate dental care and she could certainly afford braces. Should her parents have had this done for her while she was a child?

Let the discussion continue!

Frank
Should they have? Why? So *you* would find her more attractive when she smiles?

I don't think anyone else's assessment of attractiveness should factor into it. If the individual would like to change something about themselves, then I think they should have that option. But I don't think braces or surgery or other changes should be made based on society's measure of attractiveness, or the family's measure of attractiveness.

I remember when I was a kid, there was this girl in school who always wore her hair pulled back in a severe pony tail. One day, I saw her with her hair down--she had this gorgeous, shiny, flowing hair and I told her she should wear her hair down more often because she was so pretty. She looked at me like I was a total idiot. SHE liked her hair in pony tail, thank-you-very-much. That was the last time I suggested anyone change their looks!

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#43 of 48 Old 12-14-2005, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymomof5
And btw...I don't think doing braces for cosmetic reasons is all that bad anyway.

kris
Yeah, me either. Plus, it almost always involves a child old enough to at least understand that they are having them and why, even if they aren't actually requesting them.
My DH's dentist tried to convince his mom that he NEEDED thousands of $$ of orthodontic work when he was young b/c too much of his gums showed. His teeth are perfectly straight otherwise. They didn't have anything done.

Personally, I would love to get braces. I have a pretty nice, even smile, but my teeth are so tight and overlap a bit in the front that it causes some annoying pain. I can handle the braces pain, since it would be pain w/ a purpose and an end.
#44 of 48 Old 12-14-2005, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonicaS
Yeah, me either. Plus, it almost always involves a child old enough to at least understand that they are having them and why, even if they aren't actually requesting them.
And not too many cases of Death by Orthadonture . Cosmetic surgery has a higher mortality rate, I would imagine.
#45 of 48 Old 12-14-2005, 07:27 PM

Just a reminder that the foreskin is normal and natural not a birth abnormality- every boy is born with one. Birth marks, misaligned teeth, etc. are not something that is universal- some people are born with a birth mark, some are not. Some people have bad teeth, etc. But all boys are born with a foreskin- and if they are not then THAT would be the abnormality.

So it really isn't the same arguement.

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#46 of 48 Old 12-14-2005, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got braces (and headgear!!!) as a kid-- but I was 13. We talked about it beforehand, discussed my responsibilities in caring for them, etc. I definitely wanted them.

I had "vampire fangs" and my last molars were very far forward in my mouth, which was doing some funky things to my chewing habits and jaw alignment, too. And my understanding is that overlapping, funky teeth are at higher risk for cavities? I'm not sure if that's true.

The dentist asked if I wanted the bottom row straightened. I said no, since they were never half as bad as the top row and aren't really visible. He agreed it wasn't important to have them straightened.

So I really had a lot of say in what happened with my own teeth, and am still very pleased with them today. If I hadn't wanted braces or been unwilling to handle the responsibility of keeping them clean, wearing the dreaded headgear, etc, nobody could force me to keep up the program. It was all under my own steam.

In the end, the braces helped my chewing, posed very little risk to my health, and resulted in a nice even smile. The bottom teeth aren't gonna get me into the Dental Hall of Fame, but I'm very pleased with my own informed decisions as a teenager. With guidance from a professional and my parents, of course.
#47 of 48 Old 12-14-2005, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1
Just a reminder that the foreskin is normal and natural not a birth abnormality- every boy is born with one. Birth marks, misaligned teeth, etc. are not something that is universal- some people are born with a birth mark, some are not. Some people have bad teeth, etc. But all boys are born with a foreskin- and if they are not then THAT would be the abnormality.

So it really isn't the same arguement.
:

ITA - if you want to make it an apples-to-apples comparison you should think about stuff like Asian parents having their kids eyes altered to look more "western", or tat-loving parents giving their baby a full sleeve because it's "cool", or something along those lines.............
#48 of 48 Old 12-15-2005, 12:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
a birth mark - depends. was a there a risk of cancer? would removing it now ensure that it wouldn't come back? (i had one removed, it came back ), are there less invasive procedures that would deminish it? etc . . .I certainly wouldn't rush but I wouldn't nessecarily be opposed either.

my friends son had 6 fingers on one hand. they lopped it off before they left the hospital. he is really thnkful. his older sister and brothers thought it was cool and that thier parents should leave it

my other friends kid was born with a hole in his head which had to be stitched (not cosmetic) but they scored the worst plastic surgeon in the city (they were terribly fearful when he went into surgery and teh scar was the least of thier concerns. it was a quarter sized hole right ner his soft spot. they were ar more concerned with whart it meant - he was totally fine though. just a glitch.) and they took him back in to get the scar "redone" (it goes almost from ear to ear right through his cowlick. poor kid. and it grows with him) They were going to have him circed at the same time. during the circ he had a complication, he almost died and they never got to fixing the scar. they decided to find a haircut that suits it because nothing could convince them to put him under again (not that she regrets circumsizing ) I don't know that I would put my baby under for redoing a scar. maybe when they were older and could choose though i doubt I would be opposed to it.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page