undescended testicle. UPDATED 12/22 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 12-19-2005, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyones child had an undescended testicle. My 6 week old does. Ped says if it doesn't drop by 9 months he'll start making arrangements for surgury. Anyone have any input on this?

I posted this on the life with babe board and was told to post it on here as well because i was told sometimes they perform circ's and they pull the foreskin back to insert a catheter and I do NOT want either of those done so I'm wondering how I would deal with that. I know with the circ I will just say DO NOT DO IT. But with the retraction issue...I won't be in the OR so how do I make sure it's not done?
#2 of 51 Old 12-19-2005, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygrant
i was told sometimes they perform circ's and they pull the foreskin back to insert a catheter and I do NOT want either of those done so I'm wondering how I would deal with that.
:

Make everyone involved signs an intact care agreement. I'm naking or I'd input more but I'm sure someone will be along to give you tons of info. You prolly need to have all this info just for routine medical care anyway as they loooove to mess with foreskins, it seems. I still have no clue what they'er looking for under there. A pot of gold, perhaps?

Hopefully, DS won't have to have surgery so it won't be an issue .
#3 of 51 Old 12-19-2005, 09:35 PM

BTW, I think i heard the undropped testicle thing is pretty common and mostly resolves itself (?). I could be worng, though, it's been known to happen.
#4 of 51 Old 12-19-2005, 11:21 PM

Hi there, something that is very important is to get the dr to sign a no circ agreement soemone here can give u a link for one to print out. Also u need to make sure that u ? the dr on how they will do things ie the cathiter because they may not know how to deal with it. If u ask them if they know how to do cath with intact infant and they say yes. They may not really know. So ask them to describe exactly what they do. If they retract or not. The answer of course should be no. I am sure u will get good advice here. Many experts on this board. Good Luck

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#5 of 51 Old 12-20-2005, 01:16 AM

You may be able to resolve the undescended testicle.

Some males have a testicle that can move up under the pubic fat mound, I know this well because mine will do that. There is a cavity above the penis and to each side of the penis where the testicle can retract. The solution can be very simple. With two fingers, start at the top of the pubic mound and gently massage downward past the penis on the side of the undescended testicle. Continue massaging downward to the scrotum. Sometimes the testicle will appear in the scrotum. We've had success with this method a couple of times before with mothers in this forum.

If that doesn't work and the surgery has to be performed, there are a couple of ways to avoid an internal catheter. The first is simply "bagging" him. A plastic bag can be taped on the penis to collect urine during the procedure. The other way is to use a male external catheter. These look like a condom with a tube coming out the end. It is placed on the penis and taped in place. This is something you will need to discuss with your pediatrician or urologist, which ever one will be doing the surgery. You need to discuss it at least a couple of weeks ahead of time just in case these are not kept in stock at the hospital.

You also need to give them fair warning that you can recognize the symptoms of forcible retraction (redness, swelling, stretch tears or blood) and will take appropriate legal action if these symptoms are present post surgery. That should take care of that.

Frank
#6 of 51 Old 12-20-2005, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the replies. All VERY helpfull.

Frank. I notice that the left side which is the undescended side...it does look like there is a testicle in there...but it's not as low as the other one. So if it was an undescended testicle, the left side would just be empty right?

Also, I will not be able to meet with the doctor who will perform the surgery until surgery day. We will need to drive 7 hours to Vancouver BC to have the surgery done at BC Childrens Hospital. So the first time I meet the doctor would be the day it's done.

I am going to show my husband this page because he is on the same boat as me. Thanks again for the help.

Angela
#7 of 51 Old 12-20-2005, 03:26 AM

Hi momma, I am in the same boat kinda. My son is still missing his right testicle, they say it is there but it hasnt moved down at all and he is now 15 months old. I missed his 1 year check but we go tomorrow for his 15 month, mostly for this reason alone. I know it needs taken care of but I am ABSOLUTELY dreading surgery. I go back and forth on how neccessary I really feel this is and how long is too long to wait, but I know I dont want to cause him fertility problems or possible testicular cancer by waiting to long either.

I am just like you in worrying about the retraction, my plan right now is to demand to be with him pre op when they insert a cath if he needs one, so i KNOW with my eyes they dont retract, and signing the no circ thing sounds like an excellent idea as well. My hospital doenst perform circs on neonates so.. I dont know, I am worried sick as well and just wanted to comiserate. I plan on having a LONG talk to the doc/surgeon as well, and if I feel like hes putting me off or is uncaring or rubs me the wrong way, hes gone, Ill pay for this **** out of pocket if I need to, I am NOT putting up with doctors who will talk above me or act like I should sit quietly and obey.

Gosh I have such a bad attitude already huh? Its sad, I just hope I find a doc that I can trust.

But for now, I wouldnt worry at this young age, his may come down on its own and I really hope it does for you. Youre a great momma for wanting to be prepared already.

#8 of 51 Old 12-20-2005, 10:08 AM

I know there have been threads on this before at MDC - I remember a discussion as to whether and when to perform surgery to correct the undescended testicle. Is there a reason it has to be done sooner rather than later? If it were me, I'd be inclined to wait until my son were older - fewer risks during anesthesia because of size, better communication about pain afterwards, better ability to understand what is going on, more time to let it resolve on its own.

My vague recollection is that the reason docs want to fix this is a) cosmetic and b) because of the risk that the undescended testicle may become cancerous later on. Both of these don't mandate surgery sooner rather than later IMO - but I haven't researched it so I don't know if there's something I'm missing.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#9 of 51 Old 12-20-2005, 11:36 AM

Please check out my message to another mom on this topic...some info that could be of use to you. Good luck!

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...86#post2666586
#10 of 51 Old 12-20-2005, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My son was born with one undescended testicle. We were told that if it didn't come down on its own by the time he was a year old, we would talk about surgery. Turns out he had an inguinal hernia on the same side, and had an operation to correct that at 9 months. After that two things could have happened: the hernia repair could have made room for the testicle to descend, or scar tissue from the operation could prevent the testicle from coming down - we just had to wait and see. The testicle never did come down by itself, and my son had surgery at 15 months.

This all happened 10 years ago, and at the time it didn't occur to me to worry about circumcision or retraction. As far as I know, no one messed with my son's foreskin during any of his operations (he had a hernia repair on the other side when he was 3). But knowing what I know now, I would certainly bring it up with the surgeon.

My older brother had two undescended testicles, and didn't have surgery for it until he was 4 years old. He ended up being sterile - though of course it's impossible to know if it was because of the delayed operation or not.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#11 of 51 Old 12-20-2005, 12:44 PM

Ds2 had an undescended testicle for a while. He was born at home and did not have much more than a cursory exam at birth, so I was the first one to notice it. When we went to the Dr. (GP - does homebirth and family care), he found it. I thought it was cool that I had known what it was first. The Dr. was totally unconcerned. I think it descended after a couple of weeks or so...I really don't remember.
#12 of 51 Old 12-20-2005, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky
Is there a reason it has to be done sooner rather than later? If it were me, I'd be inclined to wait until my son were older - fewer risks during anesthesia because of size, better communication about pain afterwards, better ability to understand what is going on, more time to let it resolve on its own.
The main reason is potential sterility. The longer the testicle is up in the body cavity, the more likely it is to "die" from the body heat. My son had the surgery shortly after he turned 3 and it's probable that that testicle will always be smaller and non-functional (It definitely seems as though it's not growing. I'm still bothered by that. I wish we'd been able to get an accurate diagnosis sooner.)

The other reason is that undescended testicles are often accompanied by hernias, which are important to repair in order to avoid potentially dangerous complications.

It's pretty common for babies to have one or both testicles not be retracted at birth and come down on their own, so surgery very early is definitely not the way to go. It sounds like the OP's doctor is taking a wait and see approach, though, which is good.

I believe what Frank is referring to is a retractile testicle. This is where you can actually manually draw the testicle down into the scrotum.

About the catheter: My son didn't have one. As it was explained to me, they're not allowed to drink for 8 hours (I think?) before the surgery, so there's no need for one.
#13 of 51 Old 12-20-2005, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Frank. I notice that the left side which is the undescended side...it does look like there is a testicle in there...but it's not as low as the other one. So if it was an undescended testicle, the left side would just be empty right?
No. During gestation, a boys testicles develop in the abdomen. Shortly before birth, they should descend down from this cavity into the scrotum. Undescended testicle just means the testicle hasn't descended into the scrotum. That lump or fullness you see is the testicle in the cavity. Since you can see where it is, try helping to descend by starting above what you can see and try gently massaging it down into the scrotum. It just may work.

Now, if it does work and if it dissapears again, you know that it can descend and that your son has retractile testicles and there is no problem with that. There is no medical intervention needed for retractile testicles.

Frank
#14 of 51 Old 12-20-2005, 07:04 PM

This is interesting, so having retractile testicles up in the body for long periods of time won't cause sterility? how is this different from undescended testicles? in both situations, they are in the abdomen and are warm rather than cool.
#15 of 51 Old 12-20-2005, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeosMama
This is interesting, so having retractile testicles up in the body for long periods of time won't cause sterility?
Apparently not. Mine move up and down freely and I think that may be germane. If I go swimming in cold water, they most likely will be in their hidey places or if I'm wearing tight pants or have my legs crossed. But a few minutes later, they come back down. I suspect that the longest they are retracted are maybe an hour or two but I've never paid much attention to it.

Quote:
how is this different from undescended testicles? in both situations, they are in the abdomen and are warm rather than cool.
Undescended testicles are retracted all of the time. My best guess that in those, there is some diminished blood flow or testosterone is not able to get in or out and that is what causes sterility or cancer. The problem is I have never read anything that addresses this so I really just don't know.

Frank
#16 of 51 Old 12-21-2005, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly Speaking
Apparently not. Mine move up and down freely and I think that may be germane. If I go swimming in cold water, they most likely will be in their hidey places or if I'm wearing tight pants or have my legs crossed. But a few minutes later, they come back down. I suspect that the longest they are retracted are maybe an hour or two but I've never paid much attention to it.
"Hidey places"?! That made me laugh out loud! :-) Thank you Frank, for your point of view on this. Those of us without testicles don't necessarily know these things.

My son had an undescended testicle at birth too. Seems like it has come down most of the way, but not far enough. He's scheduled for surgery on January 6th, to pull down the testicle on one side and drain fluid and check for a hernia on the other side. I hadn't even thought about retracting his foreskin to insert a cathedar, I'll have to ask about that in the pre-op review the day before the surgery. I know we'll get to be there when he goes under, and the operation will take about an hour. It is scary, but he'll be almost 14 months old and from what I've seen, if they aren't descended by about a year, they aren't likely to come down on their own. Cosmetically he'll look more "balanced" and hopefully the not-completely-descended testicle will grown normally, but I'm most concerned about his fertility.
#17 of 51 Old 12-22-2005, 10:38 AM

One of my sons has a retractile testicle.

We were told by one doc that it was undescended and would need surgery--That night (in the warm bathtub,) I found that both sides were down, so rather than seeing a surgeon, we saw another ped. He explained retractile testicle exactly as Frank did, and told us this was what was happening in our son--he said it would not effect sperm production and that no intervention was needed.

He also said that with a true undescended testicle, only the effected side would not produce sperm--so the male would not be sterile, he'd still produce viable sperm on the other side. The ped also told us that it did not make cancer more of a risk, but that IF the male had cancer, it would be more difficult to detect in an undescended testicle. (Some things to weigh against the risks and sucess rates of surgery.)

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#18 of 51 Old 12-22-2005, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan
He also said that with a true undescended testicle, only the effected side would not produce sperm--so the male would not be sterile, he'd still produce viable sperm on the other side.
I should have made this clear in my post. Sterility is only a concern for the affected side. Of course, it's always better to have 2 working testicles than 1 in case something later happens to the 1 that works.

Quote:
The ped also told us that it did not make cancer more of a risk, but that IF the male had cancer, it would be more difficult to detect in an undescended testicle. (Some things to weigh against the risks and sucess rates of surgery.)
That's actually contrary to everything I've read. A man is more likely to get cancer in an undescended testicle than in a descended one. Of course, it's not yet certain whether bringing it down surgically actually reduces the chance of getting cancer.
#19 of 51 Old 12-22-2005, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I dated a guy with an undescended testicle. His parents got him surgery when he was 2 and they basically pulled the testicle down and stapled/fixed it into place. It was always high up in his scrotum just below his penis. He said it caused him pain b/c it naturally wanted to move around but was fixed in place and so he felt a pulling tight sensation occasionally, like if he was cold or sometimes sexually excited. It made him sad. Based on his story, he would probably say not to have the surgery. As I am married, though, and not to him, I don't think I could get you any more info.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#20 of 51 Old 12-22-2005, 09:19 PM

Most children's will move down before 6 months. Don't worry--your son will probably be in that number. My son did have the surgery--at 18 months. I wish we would have done it earlier. My pediatrician thought it was coming down and it just never did. She messed up. It could impact his future fertility in that testicle--hopefully not but we fixed it later than it should have been fixed. They like to do them at 9-12 months because they start to detect cellular changes after that point.
If a child's testicle doesn't come down on it's own he is at a greater risk of cancer in both testicles. That is because it isn't about the testicle being there but rather why it didn't come down in the first place. The why is what increases the cancer risk. They bring it down so that a child who is at greater risk for that cancer can examine his testicles regularly--you can't feel for lumps if it is in your abdomen! I personally know someone with testicular cancer at 20. It is rare but it happens as we know.
So they bring down testicles to save fertility, for the look, and so that cancer (which the child would be at increased risk for) can be detected.
All that to say, though, that chances are your child will not be in this category and his testicle will come down on its own. If it doesn't, I would do the surgery....my son may not like a pulling sensation...but it will have still been the best choice (wish I didn't have it to make and it would have come down on its own).

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#21 of 51 Old 12-22-2005, 09:34 PM

pulling sensation? you mean going through surgery or a weird feeling forever down there?

We are probably late to the game but we are finally going to a ped urologist because at 15 months my sons right testicle hasnt moved (if it is even there) And yes, I have read that it can be a genetic thing, as to why it never came down in the first place and testicular cancer can happen in either testicle at a higher rate with children who had one or both undescended at birth.

I wish we didnt have to do any surgery... but we may. I just hope I havent waited too long because I too have read that celluar damage can begin as early as 12 months.

thanks for all the info :-)

oh, and if he ends up to only have one testicle at all, we absolutely will not be doing an implant to make it look even, unless when he is 18 he wants one. no brainer on that.
#22 of 51 Old 12-22-2005, 11:49 PM

I haven't done much research about undescended testicles. But I can share "my" experience, in that DH had an undescended testicle, which was surgically removed when he was 2. He is intact and to his knowledge, they didn't do anything to his foreskin during surgery -- he remembers the surgery fairly vividly, but doesn't remember being retracted. He has one testicle and has not had cosmetic surgery to make it look like he has two, and really, it doesn't bother either of us. You can hardly see the scar, he doesn't have any tightness or pain resulting from the surgery, and he is *definitely* fertile. (Seeing as both times we've gotten pregnant, it's been about 4 months before we were going to seriously TTC. We seem to get pregnant whenever we start to think about "practicing" to TTC.)
#23 of 51 Old 12-23-2005, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Brody had a check up today and it has dropped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have never been so excited about a testicle before. LOL. Thanks so much everyone
#24 of 51 Old 12-23-2005, 02:38 AM

:

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#25 of 51 Old 12-23-2005, 02:58 AM

Wonderful!

One thing: Keep an eye on it. We had 2 practitioners tell us that ds' was fine, even though we both knew something was wrong. At 3, it was firmly wedged in his abdomen - the competent pediatrician that I finally found agreed.
#26 of 51 Old 12-23-2005, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Brody had a check up today and it has dropped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have never been so excited about a testicle before. LOL. Thanks so much everyone
Happy Descended Testicle Day !!!!!
#27 of 51 Old 12-23-2005, 03:49 AM

Good thread. Just wanted to add that you might be wise to "Google"
undesdended testicle, pediatrics
and that will get you into the medical websites.
I can't imagine having to worry about circumcision in addition to this condition.
The original poster was from B.C. where the circ rate is 6% and I don't think circs are even done at Children's Hosp. There is a private circumcisor named Neil Pollock who does all of the unnecessary cutting in the Vancouver area. In the U.S., where the rates are high, there'd be more concern, I guess.
#28 of 51 Old 12-23-2005, 11:41 AM

#29 of 51 Old 12-23-2005, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by +stella+
pulling sensation? you mean going through surgery or a weird feeling forever down there?
Often he had this feeling throughout his life. Maybe it was a bad surgeon or a bad technique. It was 1980. Things may have changed.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#30 of 51 Old 12-26-2005, 07:02 PM

Congratulations! I wish it was the same for us. :-(

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page