hi - new here - question - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 01-13-2006, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly Speaking

Now, this is where we begin to disagree. Yes, I imagine he is right that it is urine trapped in the foreskin but that is not a cause for concern. The lay term for this is "Ballooning" and it is common for boys as they near the time for the foreskin to retract. Since the process has already begun, let's let it progress as William's body dictates instead of forceing Williams body to do what we think it should do.

The thing that initially threw David and me was when you described William's penis as "pyramidal" in your first post. What I imagine is really happening is that William's penis is held closely to his body when flaccid with most of the shaft held in the pubic mound. It also seems that William's foreskin is completely or mostly released from his glans so that when his foreskin fills with urine, it is filled all of the way down to the base of his glans and with the closely held penis, it looks pyramidal because the base of the glans is at the pubic mound.

Frank

Frank - what you say above sounds more like William - but won't the cream help resolve the ballooning? what could it hurt?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 42 Old 01-14-2006, 12:04 AM

If there is nothing wrong (which sounds like there's not), why would you WANT to do anything? Steriods are not something to be casually messing around with, they can cause issues if not needed (and even when needed).

ETA: Also, why would you want to use a steriod cream to speed up a natural process that takes as long as it does on purpose? If you get your son to be retractable now, he will be getting the inside of his foreskin, his glans, and urethra all exposed to feces and urine on a daily basis. The foreskin is adhered to the glans to protect it from that stuff. Don't mess with nature.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#33 of 42 Old 01-14-2006, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kondonis
Frank - what you say above sounds more like William - but won't the cream help resolve the ballooning? what could it hurt?
Well, yes, maybe, but would you think it a good idea to help a newborn puppy or kitten get their eyes open or should you just let nature take it's course?

Ballooning is a natural condition that happens according to the boy's preprogrammed instructions. For retraction to happen, two things must happen. The foreskin has to separate from the glans and the non-elastic tissue around the foreskin opening has to be replaced with elastic tissue by the boy's body. Those two things can happen in either order. If you force either one, you can cause damage. If you force the opening, you can cause tears in the structure and in the skin surface. The tears in the surface can make openings for infection. Tearing the structure can cause acquired or pathological phimosis that will make retraction later difficult or impossible. Just like the puppy's or kitten's eyes the foreskin is tight for a reason and just like the eyes, the foreskin will open according to nature's instructions and on it's own schedule. Just be patient.

Frank
#34 of 42 Old 01-14-2006, 04:07 AM

Listening to the NOCIRC tape of John Taylor, M.D. the other night was very interesting. He said that there are cells that are like spirals that whirl to create the preputial space. So, it's not really that the foreskin separates from the glans, it's that the body forms a space between the foreskin and the glans and that can take up to 17 years to complete forming. The human body is sure amazing. We think it's amazing that women can grow and give birth to a baby---men can form spaces! Wow.
Baybee
#35 of 42 Old 01-26-2006, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

just a quick update....

I weighed all the information I was given and I decided that I would go ahead with the betamethasone cream. I have given it to him every other night or so (to prevent irratation) and i have noticed in all that time that not once has he had the painful swelling that I wrote about in the OP.

It was important for me to be able to take away the pain and obvious discomfort that this swelling was causing him. Whether or not this condition is normal, it doesn't happen to most kids like it was happening to William and I HAD to do something about it - I could not just sit there while he cried because he couldnt pee and his skin was turning purple.

that being said, the betamethasone has loosened him up so he now can pee like a normal intact boy - which was my goal. I only wanted it loosened to be able to pee normally, so I am using the betamethasone cream very sparingly, so it only opens JUST enough, not all the way.

He will NOT be circumsized for this - no dorsal slit either. I have yet to make a follow up appt with Dr. Betts since this seems to have resolved the issue -

thank you for your advice here - I would not know anything about this were it not for you. he still has a bit of urine trapped but it is so small I am not worrying about it per the info I received here.

thanks again - Stella
#36 of 42 Old 01-26-2006, 06:19 AM

That's great news! Thanks for the update. I hope everything continues to go well!

"Home is where the heart is, no matter how the heart lives." - PP&M
#37 of 42 Old 01-26-2006, 03:48 PM

Stella, it sounds like you have carefully and fully thought this out and I support you in your decision.

I do want to give one additional piece of advise. When the betamethesone cream is used and then discontinued, often the prepuce will close slightly and it may appear that the opening is closing again and to many, that appears to be a failure of the treatment to work properly to resolve the condition. I suggest you go a little beyond the minimum to resolve the condition so as to give a little room to contract.

Please let us know how he's doing.

Frank
#38 of 42 Old 10-15-2013, 03:58 AM

Hi all. I am new to this site. I know it has been a while since the last post on this topic... however I really need some help. Has anyone ever had to deal with Congenital Megaprepuce? My son (4 months old) has just been diagnosed. Each time he pees, the base of his penis swells up into a ball and I have to manually compress it for the urine to be released.

I am interested to hear if anyone has had a similar experience and how they dealt with it? Did it resolve itself? Is it possible to treat without surgery? The surgery itself looks extremely disturbing... The original poster of this message seems to have had some luck with applying a steroid cream (I tried to PM her but I'm having technical issues....) I am currently trying the cream, but so far no results (it's only been 1.5 weeks since beginning the cream).

Hoping someone can help. Thank you.

#39 of 42 Old 10-15-2013, 02:57 PM

It dosnt appear that there is a lot of information out there on this condition as it seems to be pretty rare. I would contact NOCirc and Marilyn Milos I am sure that they will be able to point you in the right direction so as to preserve as much foreskin as possible for your ds.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#40 of 42 Old 10-19-2013, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I agree there's not a lot of info out there.  I read through this whole thread & I agree w/ contacting either Marilyn or the doctors at www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org .  There's been quite a bit of time since this thread was originally started so I imagine there've been more cases of this for them to know about.

I would say too, that if you are not practicing elimination communication, it could help the two of you to deal with this.  If you are unfamiliar, here's more about it www.diaperfreebaby.org & there was, at one time, an EC board here, under diapers I believe it was, that may be helpful.  Little babies pee a lot - I'd be shocked if you were getting every pee of his if you are using diapers in the conventional sense - changing every couple to few hours.  Babies often pee right after waking, & then a couple or more times w/ in 30-60 minutes & then w/ nursing, so it ends up being a lot.  If you know when he's got to go, you can help to make sure he is able to get the pee out.  Feel free to ask me questions about it.  I EC'd two children, one from age one until he was a grad & the other from 3 days old.  It really ended up being a lot of fun - it's awesome to have your kid do their business where you want them too w/ almost no clean up!

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#41 of 42 Old 10-27-2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmum13 View Post

Hi all. I am new to this site. I know it has been a while since the last post on this topic... however I really need some help. Has anyone ever had to deal with Congenital Megaprepuce? My son (4 months old) has just been diagnosed. Each time he pees, the base of his penis swells up into a ball and I have to manually compress it for the urine to be released.

I am interested to hear if anyone has had a similar experience and how they dealt with it? Did it resolve itself? Is it possible to treat without surgery? The surgery itself looks extremely disturbing... The original poster of this message seems to have had some luck with applying a steroid cream (I tried to PM her but I'm having technical issues....) I am currently trying the cream, but so far no results (it's only been 1.5 weeks since beginning the cream).

Hoping someone can help. Thank you.

Hi, Im in exactly the same position. Im new to this forum as I found this original thread on google searches. How are you getting on?! Would love to Private message you and the original poster, but cant seem to send private messages?

#42 of 42 Old 10-28-2013, 05:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamomile1981 View Post

Hi, Im in exactly the same position. Im new to this forum as I found this original thread on google searches. How are you getting on?! Would love to Private message you and the original poster, but cant seem to send private messages?
I think you have to have a certain number of posts before you can PM someone. There's a questions subforum that you can ask questions about how the forums work. There may be this question there or you could ask.

Best wishes,
Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page