Action/Miracle thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2006, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm starting this thread as a place for people to share what actions they are taking in their own communities to protect baby boys. This will be a place where you're applauded if you're stirring things up. Share tips, ideas, strategies, conversations and new resources. 2006 will be a year of unprecedented action to end genital mutilation of children everywhere.

For me, this week I'm sending Freedom of Information requests to our prov. Health Ministry inquiring how our local circumcisors make their money. Once we have that information, we're going to put pressure on the doctors assoc to get one of them to stop the false advertising---he says HIS circs are "safe and painless". I don't think so.
Baybee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2006, 03:57 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I thought about offering some circ info on freecycle.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 01-02-2006, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Great, thanks for replying. Now, I need to know by when it will be on there.
I'm going to be supporting everyone to stop thinking about it and do it.
Baybee
Old 01-05-2006, 01:46 AM
A&A

I CHALLENGE everyone on this board to send $15 to NOCIRC. (and then you'll get on their mailing list at the same time.)

www.nocirc.org

I'm writing my check right now. Get your checkbook out now......while you're thinking about it! And if you're going to donate, please post it on here so that we can keep a running tally!

Old 01-05-2006, 02:33 AM

I did a $10 paypal donation, that is all I had in paypal. But I think I will find something to sell on ebay or on the trading post and donate that to them as well. That is my contribution for now!! Thinking of a bumper sticker too though.

Oh, and on my fairly mainstream small message board that I post on daily, I have this guy:
Old 01-05-2006, 03:35 AM
A&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridley13
I did a $10 paypal donation, that is all I had in paypal. But I think I will find something to sell on ebay or on the trading post and donate that to them as well. That is my contribution for now!! Thinking of a bumper sticker too though.

Oh, and on my fairly mainstream small message board that I post on daily, I have this guy:

EXCELLENT!! Thanks!

Old 01-05-2006, 05:18 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have a bumpersticker, an e-store, a website http://www.huluhae.com/against-the-cut.html, plus I find ways to bring it up in conversations every day.

I chat on another forum with several pro-circ'ing members in hopes that the lurkers can be convinced not to have it done to their sons. Does that count?

I would like to do more. I really want to open a NOCIRC center for this area, but don't have the resources to begin.

~Nay

ps... Yes, we will send $15 soon. I will post when we do.

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
Old 01-05-2006, 06:40 AM

Hmmm...sometimes I leaflet pregnancy related books at GoodWill or other second hand stores. I also donated some baby clothes to a woman I barely knew who was expecting a boy, and included some anti-circ info in the bag. I've also pinned up information on bulletin boards. Most of my activism so far has been online.

Jen
Old 01-05-2006, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

-spoke to a vet from Findland this a.m. and sneakily brought up circ
--politician came to my door the other day and asked her if they had a policy on genital mutilation of boys
--have a black and white poster in my office of intact baby boy and girl
-will have my proposal for a talk at the NOCIRC symposium done by Mon at 11 a.m.

Thanks everybody for sharing ideas and getting me moving, too
Baybee
Old 01-05-2006, 09:34 PM

Great thread to share ideas Lets see, I have business cards made up which I leave anywhere I think someone will come across them, in preg mags, public bulletin boards, tables in clinics, hospital waiting rooms ect.

I have copies of the Mothering articles which I leave around like the cards, but not as frequently though...not so easy to carry these in your wallet . I made up posters and put them up in public places, bus shelters, bulletin boards, ect.

Try to "debate" online when I have the energy.

Speak up in public whenever possible. We go to a few "playgroups" so if the topic ever comes up, I always try to have a say.....I'm kinda though, so I need some practice at this.

And my latest thing is that I have taken up distance running as a sport and made up a decal for the back of my racing shirt(that I wear in the actual race) that says "Running "FORE" the "SKINS" baby boys deserve protection too.....www.cirp.org www.nocirc.org.

I think thats about it for now.....all I have time for with two little ones anyway!

Great ideas guys! Keep them comming.

Take care,
Tara

Tara Momma to Callum and Gavin
Old 01-05-2006, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybee
-spoke to a vet from Findland this a.m. and sneakily brought up circ
--politician came to my door the other day and asked her if they had a policy on genital mutilation of boys
--have a black and white poster in my office of intact baby boy and girl
-will have my proposal for a talk at the NOCIRC symposium done by Mon at 11 a.m.

Thanks everybody for sharing ideas and getting me moving, too
Baybee
Where'd you get the poster?

~Nay

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
Old 01-06-2006, 12:11 AM
Fi.

Quote:
:-O!!! What'd she say!

And as for my advocacy. I bring it up a lot with people casually -- I tell the story about the woman who saw my son's penis and told me he should see a doctor cos it looked like he had a tumor (I always say "Can you believe a 50 year old woman didn't know what FORESKIN was? Has she never seen a penis?" and "Can you believe she didn't know what foreskin is? It's not like people cut them off that often anymore"). But I always make it seem like "omg can you BELIEVE people still do that?"

And:

http://img286.imageshack.us/img286/653/bumper2jv.jpg

A picture of my car bumper with 2 anti-circ bumper stickers.

Long distance Mom to boarding school superstars E (9) and Layne (6).
Old 01-06-2006, 12:12 AM
A&A

If you can't donate $15 to NOCIRC, then donate $5 or $10. Every dollar helps. But do it TODAY, while you're thinking about it. Yes, I mean you. Yep. You.

Old 01-06-2006, 01:17 AM

I've donated to NOCIRC. Probably enough to cover me for many more years, Never the less, I will be sending more every year for many more years.

Frank
Old 01-06-2006, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

<Where'd you get the poster?

~Nay>

The poster was a gift from James Loewen the photographer. I'll find out if they are sold online. I think he produced them for NOCIRC (he loves Marilyn, as does anyone with a brain). It has a black baby boy and a white baby girl being held in the opposite race's hands with full, intact genitalia showing. Really precious.
Baybee
Old 01-06-2006, 02:50 AM

Fantastic work, everyone! I live in a place where advocacy is unnecessary, but I'm so pleased that people are working hard in the US to make it 'catch up' with everywhere else!
Old 01-06-2006, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Please send out to your other email lists and boards, too. Baybee

MGM Petition to the ACLU

A petition has been started at
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takea...136559817#body
in an effort to end MGM in the United States. Please visit the
petition and consider signing. Any United States citizens are urged
to sign the petition. Also, it would be very helpful if you can
convince friends and family to sign the petition since the goal is to
get 1000 signatures by late March or early April.

NOTE: The deadline for the petition appears as 11/30/1999, however,
this is incorrect. The person who had created the petition did not
want to set a deadline but when submitted this is what appeared.

Male Genital Mutilation Petition to the American Civil Liberties Union
Old 01-12-2006, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Couple of things:

Miracle: Tonight, 5 of us Vancouver intactivists went to an All Candidates Meeting that was sponsored by the Gay & Lesbian assoc here. It was packed to the rafters. Our group spread out through the room and 3 of us got to the mikes to bring up circ. I said <<I want you to pretend that I am a newborn baby boy and listen to my question as if he was talking, "When will I have the same rights to the integrity of my genitals as little Canadian girl babies?>> The candidates couldn't believe that this subject dominated the evening and the newspaper that covered the event said they are going to run a story about circ.
I had a great handout that talked about what the importance of being intact is. All together, a good use of time.

Incompletion: I haven't done my talk for the Symposium yet, been procrastinating. Will have some time tomorrow and will get at it.

How is everyone else doing with your promises/actions. What do you want to take on next??
Baybee
Old 01-12-2006, 05:43 PM

I just sent e-mails to my seven local political candidates regarding this issue, asking their stances on mgm and what if any action they will take both locally and countrywide if their party was to be elected into power. I will post any responses I get if you all are interested

Take care,
Tara

Old 01-12-2006, 05:53 PM

I am working towards getting coverage of circs dropped from tn medicaid program.
Also, looking into starting a nocirc center in tn.

Mama to ds 6/00 and dd 1/09
Old 01-12-2006, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Here's the email address for Jeff Brown. He acts as a consultant for state activists who are stopping the insurance.
[email protected]

Here's what he wrote to me:

I am looking for volunteers in any of the states that still pay for circumcision with Medicaid. If you know of anyone who would like to help, I can help them get in touch with other volunteers in their state who are try to end Medicaid funding of circumcision.

In the western states that still fund circumcision with Medicaid there are people in Colorado, Hawaii, and New Mexico, but as far as I know there isn't anyone currently in Alaska or Wyoming. I would like to find volunteers in those two states too. I am also interested in finding more volunteers from the central and eastern states.

I think there is still one province in Canada where the provincial health insurance pays for non-therapeutic circumcision.

Another project of interest is Genital Integrity Awareness Week. Each year members of the Stop Infant Circumcision Society and other intactivists demonstrate in Washington DC on the grounds of the US Capitol during the last week of March and the first week of April to commemorate the anniversary of the US law against Female Genital Mutilation and the beginning of Child Abuse Prevention Month.

Thank you for your encouragement and support.

Sincerely,
Jeff
Old 01-12-2006, 06:15 PM

thanks for sharing!

Mama to ds 6/00 and dd 1/09
Old 01-12-2006, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for emailing your candidates, Tara, way to go!!!
Old 01-12-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Here's the email address for Jeff Brown. He acts as a consultant for state activists who are stopping the insurance.
[email protected]

Here's what he wrote to me:
Hi Gloria,

I am looking for volunteers in any of the states that still pay for circumcision with Medicaid. If you know of anyone who would like to help, I can help them get in touch with other volunteers in their state who are try to end Medicaid funding of circumcision.

In the western states that still fund circumcision with Medicaid there are people in Colorado, Hawaii, and New Mexico, but as far as I know there isn't anyone currently in Alaska or Wyoming. I would like to find volunteers in those two states too. I am also interested in finding more volunteers from the central and eastern states.

I think there is still one province in Canada where the provincial health insurance pays for non-therapeutic circumcision.

Another project of interest is Genital Integrity Awareness Week. Each year members of the Stop Infant Circumcision Society and other intactivists demonstrate in Washington DC on the grounds of the US Capitol during the last week of March and the first week of April to commemorate the anniversary of the US law against Female Genital Mutilation and the beginning of Child Abuse Prevention Month.

Thank you for your encouragement and support.

Sincerely,
Jeff
Manitoba is the province that still pays to cut babies.

Tara

Old 01-12-2006, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks for emailing your candidates, Tara, way to go!!!
Here is a link with links to all of the pp webpages (tey all have emails from their webpages) if anyone else cares to do the same
http://www.stcatharinesliving.com/links.html
(the link says it is for st.catharines, but the political sites are national)

Here is a link to a site with some form-type letters that you can use for this or other purposes.
http://www.courtchallenge.com/main/overvw1.html#Letter

Take care,
Tara

Old 01-13-2006, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for those links, Tara, I've sent them out far and wide.

I know that it's *&$%^&*(@@#$$*% Manitoba that's still (slightly) funding circ. They are being so obtuse. They just had a mixup of baby boys and a boy got circ'd against the wishes of the parents. We got some good CBC coverage and they interviewed the Minister of Health who said it couldn't be de-funded because "some people choose to do it for religious reasons." Don't know why the whole rest of our country has gone no insurance and they are the last holdouts with that excuse.

Baybee
Old 01-13-2006, 03:47 AM

That's just a justification. Religious circumcisions are not done in hospitals or doctors offices or by doctors in all except a very small minority of cases where the doctor is also a mohel. This guy is just justifying and his justification is ignorant.

Frank
Old 01-13-2006, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks for those links, Tara, I've sent them out far and wide.

I know that it's *&$%^&*(@@#$$*% Manitoba that's still (slightly) funding circ. They are being so obtuse. They just had a mixup of baby boys and a boy got circ'd against the wishes of the parents. We got some good CBC coverage and they interviewed the Minister of Health who said it couldn't be de-funded because "some people choose to do it for religious reasons." Don't know why the whole rest of our country has gone no insurance and they are the last holdouts with that excuse.

Baybee
That story is soooo scary to me. I had my boys in the hospital and eventhough we roomed in, I still had that fear. And religious circs have nothing to do with ric in hospitals. That's why there are mohels and there are enough of those around who are willing to cut non-jewish boys so that even if funding was cut and all medical establishments stopped preforming circs, parents could still find *some* way to get it done. Whew! that was a run-on sentence if I ever did write one

Such a disgusting way to use our much-needed tax dollars : There are about a billion and one more useful and deserving ways for that money to be spent.

Keep on keepin on Baybee!

Take care,
Tara

Old 01-13-2006, 04:54 PM

I'm going to go out tonight or tomorrow morning and make copies of the pamphlets and cards. Then I'm going to start leaving them places.

I'm also going to send some info to the state reps involved in medicaid budgeting (haven't looked this up yet) and the pamphlet on catholicism & circ. to the local catholic mission from which my cousins were adopted, which had them both circed while still in their custody.

I'll also continue my usual pot-stirring about the internet.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

"Viafin-Atlas Ltd. announced today its consternation and dismay at the
thousands of emails it has received in recent weeks from US citizens
regarding the detrimental after-effects of circumcision."
[This item has not been edited. The corporate entity wishes widest
distribution.]

Please see:
http://www.ereleases.com/pr/20060118005.html

Or:
http://tinyurl.com/9433o

Or read it here:
Press Release
Viafin-Atlas - Circumcision Issues
SALISBURY, England, Jan. 18, 2006 -- Viafin-Atlas Ltd. announced today its
consternation and dismay at the thousands of emails it has received in recent
weeks from US citizens regarding the detrimental after-effects of
circumcision.

In a response to this, Viafin-Atlas, which manufactures therapeutic products
for circumcised males, has written to the American Academy of Pediatrics and
the US Secretary of Health and Human Services to relay the despair and anger
felt by victims of unnecessary neo-natal circumcision performed in the US.

In this letter, appropriate suggestions are outlined which enforce the
special and necessary human rights which are owed to babies and children of
the US. These special rights extend and prevail in all other civilized and
developed countries in the world, where the absence of routine neo-natal
circumcision is not an issue.

For further details of these letters please visit the News page at
http://www.viafin-atlas.com.

James Williams
Managing Director
Viafin-Atlas Ltd.
Unit No.1 The Malverns Business Centre
Cherry Orchard Lane