WOW: One of the most thought provoking videos I've ever seen... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 01-21-2006, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am watching it, but I have no sound! Just picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 51 Old 01-21-2006, 04:13 PM

Oh my--- watched the video...
the dad that could do that to his son but didn't want to do it to himself....~~~~ :
poor little boys ~~
How about the circ center when the nurse says they don't all cry like that??
#33 of 51 Old 01-21-2006, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
nak

i watched the video. it was very tough. i hope it gets through to people.

thank you for posting download instructions. i was having trouble viewing the video as well.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#34 of 51 Old 01-21-2006, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan1097
I am watching it, but I have no sound! Just picture.
this happened to me too - i had to download quicktime to watch it.

very good, thanks for sharing, i'll be sending it to my sister who's due in may.
#35 of 51 Old 01-21-2006, 08:24 PM

The little boy probably wasn't in pain. There was a hemostat on his foreskin and I'm guessing it had been on there for some time. When you pinch something that tightly, it goes numb. The actual cutting probably didn't hurt a bit. However, they didn't show his face when they put the hemostat on. THAT would've really hurt bad.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#36 of 51 Old 01-21-2006, 08:25 PM

BTW, I loved the video (as much as one can love a video like that anyway ) and I will hand it out in my No-Circ package along with the Penn & Teller DVD.

#37 of 51 Old 01-22-2006, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

I emailed Michael Schaap regarding the problems people were seeming to have accessing the movie. He replied...

"Dear Jen,

Sorry for not writing to you before. Thank you so much for your kind words, your comments and for spreading the news. To answer your question from your first mail: I'm not planning to sell this film since I do not own the copyright (it's owned by a Dutch national broadcaster). But I'm discussing with them the possibility to make NTSC copies and sell them through an American video distributor. By the way - you can make as many copies as you like from the version on my site (it's low resolution though). Concerning the troubles accessing the video - I'm afraid that's our infamous trouble between PC's and Mac's - My film is posted in (Apple) Quicktime - therefore you must have quicktime installed - this can be done through my site (there's a link in the side bar) and it's free - both for Mac & PC. Furthermore - if people have an older version of Internet Explorer they also might have a problem - either they have to wait until the film is fully downloaded or they have to install the latest version of Internet Explorer.

I'm very sorry for this inconvenience - I will consider to post another version in WMV (although I'm really ant-Microsoft.

That's it for now, keep up the good work!"

He also updated his vblog site, that links to the video:

Quote:
Dear Windows / PC User...
21 01 06 00:52 by macdocman
The content on this Vlog is encoded in Quicktime MPEG-4. In order to be able to see my postings you will have to have Quicktime installed. You can download a free version of Quicktime 7 by clicking the download button in the right side bar. And do you browse with Internet Explorer? Than it is also highly recommended to have the latest version installed (download here). Although I would personally go for the best free browser on the planet: Firefox – to be downloaded here.
Kind Regards,
Michael
http://www.macdocman.com/

HTHs,

Jen
#38 of 51 Old 01-22-2006, 05:45 PM

Thank you so much for posting this. It was extremely important and informative and I will be sure to pass it along.

Even my dh was compelled by it and he is very sensitive about his circ. Thanks so much!
#39 of 51 Old 01-23-2006, 01:49 AM

Wow,
I wimped out and couldn't finish the whole think...I just couldn’t subject myself to the crying...

I emailed it to professionals and some expectant mothers.

I have graduated from "being against it personally, but nonjudgmental of others" to "this is barbaric and it makes me sick!"
#40 of 51 Old 01-23-2006, 03:26 AM

I toughed it out and watched the whole thing, even though it had me in tears. I will be sharing this video over and over again. TY for posting it.
#41 of 51 Old 01-23-2006, 03:27 AM

I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it yet. I just don't think I can handle it and I already know that there is no way in all heck that I would ever do this to any child, adult, anyone, so I don't need convincing. I do, however think others should see it, I just don't know how to breech the uncomfortableness of sending this to someone who I don't want to start a fight with. I don't feel right just randomly sending out such a disturbing but important film, but I also know the importance of sending this out. What should I say to the recipient? Any suggestions?

Mother to one wild and crazy boy 12/29/2002.
Midwife, Homeschool Educator and Crafter.
#42 of 51 Old 01-23-2006, 07:58 AM

I finally viewed the video. It is disturbing, but great!

I don't think that it minimized the pain of the circumcision procedure. The first, younger Muslim boy was clearly in pain, he was crying (and BTW, this circumcision did definitely not take place in a EU country, I guess it was in Northern Africa). Then there were all those crying babies. And while the Jewish circumcision itself was over quick, the baby continued to cry afterwards, showing that it is not all over with the cut. And yes, colaga I was disturbed at the mohel lifting the baby up like that, too, also because it looked like he was presenting a trophy. As far as the older Muslim boy who did smile during the circumcision is concerned, I'm positive that he was anesthesized. It was quite similar to the ritual doctor circumcisions I saw in that other documentary. Did you see that he did in fact cut his foreskin off himself?

I also found it interesting how the receptionist in the "Circumcision Center" tried to reassure the parents with "they don't all cry like that, each baby is different". BTW, I felt so sorry for all the little boys in the waiting room, I got sick at the thought of what was going to happen to them a few minutes later.

The only minor criticism I have is that the documentary didn't put enough emphasis on how long restoration takes and that it doesn't bring back everything that is lost. Just from seeing the video, without any further information, people could think that it's fine to cut the foreskins off babies and children, because if they don't like it, hey, they can simply stretch themselves a new one...

I was smirking at the argumentation of the man circumcised as an adult. "Circumcision is good for the pleasure because the glans gets used to friction and is not as sensitive during intercourse". What a wonderful, gaping logical hole he dug himself into! The pro-circers in general didn't provide the most convincing of arguments. "I just think it looks nicer." Too bad that Schaap didn't cut in with "Why does your baby son's penis have to look nice to you?"

It was also great to be able put even more faces and voices to intactivist's names, after the Penn&Teller show.

I hope that the documentary will make its way to other countries' TV stations. It is exactly what needs to be shown to shake Europe from its stupor.

Stardust
#43 of 51 Old 01-28-2006, 10:52 PM

OMG OMG OMG-I finally just watched it. I am in tears and my guts are churning. I have never seen such graphic footage of circumcision. Unbelievably, it seems more horrible now than when I actually saw it in person.

The "machete like" (sorry, that swooping slice of the mohel on that tiny baby's penis made me think of a person hacking through the underbrush of a jungle) chop of the poor Bris baby's foreskin took my breath away.

And I'm sorry, an intact guy should circumcise himself right along with his baby if he thinks it's so great (notice how he rationalized KEEPING his foreskin but circumcision is good for his son, WTF? And the female significant other said it "looked better"--So what does the daddy look like to her, huh?)

I seriously think I need a drink...

Thanks so much Jen for bringing this powerful and disturbing film to our attention.
#44 of 51 Old 01-30-2006, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paminmi
And I'm sorry, an intact guy should circumcise himself right along with his baby if he thinks it's so great (notice how he rationalized KEEPING his foreskin but circumcision is good for his son, WTF? And the female significant other said it "looked better"--So what does the daddy look like to her, huh?)
Yes, I didn't get what was going on there, either. The father was intact himself and didn't seem to have any problems with it, in fact, he sounded like he was quite attached to his foreskin. And to the mother, an intact penis apparently doesn't look bad enough to not be with an intact man. She also said "I hate this" somewhere in between. I am wondering whether there was probably pressure from her family to have the boy circumcised (it can't be the father's family, because then he would be circumcised himself).

Otherwise, I was of course a classic example of how irrational and illogical the whole circumcision thing is.

Stardust
#45 of 51 Old 01-30-2006, 11:58 AM

Well, the dad said that he thinks it's cleaner. He said he doesn't have any problems because he keeps it so clean, but he thinks this is better for the little ones. It's probably one of those things where the Grandparents talk them into it.

#46 of 51 Old 01-30-2006, 03:03 PM

I just can't do it, I think my psyche has taken its full quota of horror for one lifetime, and another direct hit would just about finish me off.
#47 of 51 Old 01-31-2006, 03:14 PM

Hi - I tried to watch it, but the sound on my copy is doing really funny things and is very difficult to understand - it's fine when I'm reading English subtitles, but when the sound is in English and the subtitles are Dutch, I'm lost!

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there some way around it? We download other things from the INternet and haven't had this problem.

I'd love to fix it, because from what I've seen so far, this would be a good video to share with friends/family...

Thanks for any suggestions!
#48 of 51 Old 02-01-2006, 09:09 PM

DH fixed the problem, so I was able to watch the video.

Thanks for posting this - it was very, very good. I definitely think this is one I'll be able to copy and send to family and friends who are expecting...

The one thing that struck me about the documentary...in all of the circumcisions, you had all of these adults standing around the exposed genitals of a baby/young child.

In what other context would this NOT be considered child abuse?

It just blows my mind that anyone could think this was acceptable. I just cannot even begin to comprehend it...
#49 of 51 Old 02-02-2006, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommiska
The one thing that struck me about the documentary...in all of the circumcisions, you had all of these adults standing around the exposed genitals of a baby/young child.

In what other context would this NOT be considered child abuse?
ITA Mommiska...One thing I observed toward the beginning of the documentary was a boy about to be circumcised and there was a guy(I'm assuming he was the circumcisor)actually yanking on the boy's penis and the boy had an ERECTION!

In my opinion it's called pedophilia or child sexual assault. But in their minds its preparation for the circumcision???

:Puke
#50 of 51 Old 02-02-2006, 02:27 AM

I just watched it (I have a mac with quicktime, so no problems here). It is quite graphic and disturbing to me. I just cannot get over how many people seemed to be uncomfortable with the baby/child crying and in pain, but thought it was still ok to continue on with such a barbaric procedure. I cannot stand to hear babies crying in such distress; it makes me want to pick them up and just hold them close to my chest. I watched the body language of the people standing around the babies; many were clearly uncomfortable, and yet NO ONE saw the logical reason! I know I couldn't be in a situation like that and do nothing.

And those who said "it just looks nicer"! What a CROCK! So sad. I'm going to send this to my Dh. He's still on the fence on this, although I've told him if we ever have another boy, we are not circing.
#51 of 51 Old 02-03-2006, 05:34 PM

I am having trouble seeing this movie for some reason! I have a mac and quicktime, so I dont' know what the problem is. I can watch about fifteen minutes or so, and then the movie just stops. Anyone have any suggestions?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page