Do your intact sons have lots of UTI's? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 104 Old 03-17-2006, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just talking to a friend of mine who said that her friend had to have her 7 and 8 yo sons circ'd because they kept getting UTI's and kidney infections. Is this common? She said it because of poor hygiene. She also said her mom is a family practitioner, and that circumcision is a good idea in this country because so many parents practice such poor hygiene that she sees 2 and 3 yo boys with their foreskins swollen shut. Huh? I'd be especially interested to hear from mamas who might have some ideas about how this progresses through adolescence and adulthood.
#2 of 104 Old 03-17-2006, 07:15 PM

No, it's a case of stupid doctors and misinformed parents.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#3 of 104 Old 03-17-2006, 07:18 PM

Well, for starters, two and three year old boys often don't have retractile foreskins yet-- this is utterly and completely normal. I don't know if that's what she meant by "swollen shut" since doctors in this country are shockingly ignorant about foreskins.

I am sure someone will be along shortly with info on UTI's. Suffice to say, no, my intact son has never had one. And cutting off part of his penis ain't the way I'd opt to treat it if he did.
#4 of 104 Old 03-17-2006, 07:18 PM

My four year old intact son has never had one.

:
#5 of 104 Old 03-17-2006, 07:26 PM

those poor boys there foreskins had nothing to do with UTI's they were the victoms of a cut happy dr who has no bussiness practicing medicine :

My intact ds has never had a UTI but my daughter had what should I have cut off her

What are they gonna do now when the uti comes back? nothing left to cut off. What will they blame it on?

Poor hygien usually has nothing to do with UTI's that I know of.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#6 of 104 Old 03-17-2006, 07:26 PM

My dh has never had a UTI and he is intact.

His only two issues where a yeast infection (passed from me- oops!) and his foreskin was a bit tight and he had to stretch it out to be more comfortable. He did that within a couple of weeks. I have heard that doctors often recommend circ for that condition but he was able to do it at home with some links provided by FranklySpeaking.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#7 of 104 Old 03-17-2006, 07:38 PM

Never had a uit over here.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#8 of 104 Old 03-17-2006, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Neither of my 11-yr-old twin boys have ever had a UTI.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#9 of 104 Old 03-17-2006, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Nope, never.

I, on the other hand, have had waaaaay too many UTIs. Fortunately my doctors always treated them with antibiotics instead of amputating body parts. I figure that if my DS does ever get one he deserves the same respect.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#10 of 104 Old 03-17-2006, 07:57 PM

I have friends overseas and they rarely ever hear of a boy having a UTI and they are all intact...but you know there they don't fool around with the foreskin like docs like to do here: . The first person to retract a boy's foreskin is the boy himself, and they say there are plenty of teenagers who aren't retractable and their docs know that is normal. AND, when it is retractable they ONLY use water to clean it, just a quick rinse in the shower.

From what I hear UTIs can be caused by irritants like soaps and bubble baths...those also disturb the normal flora and can cause people to be suseptible to infection. I had my own bought with that as a child. I kept on having recurrent infections and we ultimately figured out it was the bubble bath I was using and I stopped using it alltogether. All I can say is THANK GOD that I live in a country where they wouldn't have insisted that my labia was to blame and that I should have it removed because it was "causing infections."

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#11 of 104 Old 03-17-2006, 07:58 PM

Neither myself nor my two sons, 21 and 23, all intact, have ever had an UTI.
#12 of 104 Old 03-17-2006, 08:15 PM

Nope, no UTIs here. And he's not always the best about bathing.
#13 of 104 Old 03-17-2006, 08:27 PM

No offense but this premise is totally hogwash! Does cleanliness affect women? Maybe wiping from back to front might but not scrubbing your genitals every day sure doesn't.

This is just the lies perpetuated by the cut-happy medical providers in our country who are brainwashed and/or benefit from the circumcision procedure.

Look to any places where intact is the norm: Europe, South America, Central America, Asia, India. You can be rest assured that there aren't rampant problems with foreskins there. Do you honestly American foreskins are vastly different than foreskin in other countries??

My son is 16 and has never had a problem nor has my soon to be 71 year old father.

and please stick around--there's lots to learn here.
#14 of 104 Old 03-17-2006, 08:33 PM

Nope. (nearly 4)
#15 of 104 Old 03-17-2006, 08:39 PM

Not here either. He had a yeast infection that got pretty nasty but no utis.

Mama to ds 6/00 and dd 1/09
#16 of 104 Old 03-17-2006, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBug & BabyBug
Nope, never.

I, on the other hand, have had waaaaay too many UTIs. Fortunately my doctors always treated them with antibiotics instead of amputating body parts. I figure that if my DS does ever get one he deserves the same respect.
Yes exactly. Neither of my two intact sons have had UTIs. My circ'd son has not either. I have had 27 UTIs in the past 4 years though.
#17 of 104 Old 03-17-2006, 08:47 PM

My son's are 3 and almost 2...intact...no uti's ever. No problem with the foreskin at all.

And our hygiene is probably lacking by a lot of people's standards. Both boys have very dry skin and so we only bath maybe twice a week.

I am 31 and have had several UTI's...no Dr ever offered to cut anything off me though. And none of them suggested it was because I didn't scrub myself well enough or that my hygiene was lacking. In fact several Dr's told me that sex is often the culprit with UTIs in women. They suggested getting up to pee immeditately after sex (how romantic ) but that makes me wonder if dehydration wouldn't contribute to uti's in children since they aren't peeing often enough and that allows the bacteria to build up since its not being pushed out with the pee? Just a thought...

Oh and cranberry juice (the REAL stuff not the "cocktail" that is not really cranberries) and blueberries are wonderful for treating and preventing uti's...they change the pH of the urine to make it unfriendly to bacteria and make the bladder walls "slippery" so its harder for the bad bacteria to hang on.

Casey
#18 of 104 Old 03-17-2006, 08:50 PM

Neither boy has ever had one.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#19 of 104 Old 03-17-2006, 09:00 PM

Neither has had one. I have, though, and thankfully I'm still whole, as other women said.
#20 of 104 Old 03-17-2006, 09:00 PM

My 2 year old ds has never had one.

UTI's are treatable with antibiotics. You don't cut parts off of a person to prevent UTI's. That's ridiculous. I used to get infections on my eyelids (sounds weird, what can I say?) a lot, but nobody ever suggested taking off my eyelids. Don't scoff at the analogy, the foreskin keeps the glans clean and moist, prevents the glans from getting damaged, and contains antibiotic secretions (like the eyelid).

In countries where circumcision is not common or culturally accepted, boys aren't messed with. This means doctors don't retract them, UTI's are treated with modern techniques (rather than Victorian 1800's vintage amputation techniques) such as a-n-t-i-b-i-o-t-i-c-s, and when adolescents or grown men have non-retractile foreskins, they are counseled to stretch or use steroid creams, not to have the most sensitive part of the penis amputated.

GGGGRRRR the ignorance in this country is overwhelming and maddening.
#21 of 104 Old 03-17-2006, 09:09 PM

my intact son had one freakish UTI at 19 days old. neither I nor the docs (including a pediatric urologist) thought it was related to his foreskin, and they never recommended circ'ing him. we don't do any special washing at all. He did show me just recently that he can retract it, though.

neither of my girls have had one either, nor have I. My younger sister, however, has them constantly.

namaste.gif

#22 of 104 Old 03-17-2006, 09:12 PM

My 4 1/2 yr. old son hasn't had one.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#23 of 104 Old 03-17-2006, 09:14 PM

Neither my 8 year old or my 5 year old (both intact boys) have had one.

Lots of friends have commented that their little girls have had them, though.

Welcome Please stick around - there's lots to learn on this forum.
#24 of 104 Old 03-17-2006, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for all the quick replies. that's pretty much what I thought. I have actually had a few UTI's and the first thing I thought when she said that was, "cranberry juice? antibiotics? anesthetic pills?" and I couldn't figure out how a foreskin had anything to do with a kidney infection unless maybe it (the bacteria) climbed up the urethra. It just sort of got my dander up because there has been all sorts of controversy with my inlaws re: DS 17 mo intact status. so anytime I hear anything about someone "having" to circumcise their son after choosing not to initially, I always have to check it out right away! Thanks again!
#25 of 104 Old 03-17-2006, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalymar
I was just talking to a friend of mine who said that her friend had to have her 7 and 8 yo sons circ'd because they kept getting UTI's and kidney infections. Is this common? She said it because of poor hygiene. She also said her mom is a family practitioner, and that circumcision is a good idea in this country because so many parents practice such poor hygiene that she sees 2 and 3 yo boys with their foreskins swollen shut. Huh? I'd be especially interested to hear from mamas who might have some ideas about how this progresses through adolescence and adulthood.
UTIs are not common in males at all. The most likely thing that will cause UTIs and a foreskin swollen shut is to pull the foreskin back and scrub under it with soap. There is a commonly held belief in America that the penis is naturally dirty and it must be forcefully opened and scrubbed with soap to prevent infections. This is the wrong thing to do. The foreskin is adhered to the glans in childhood the same way kittens and puppies are born with their eyes sealed shut. They all will come loose and open up when they are ready. Forcing the foreskin to pull back before it's ready will cause skin damage and great pain. The damaged skin is susceptible to infection. Using soap changes the pH balance of the genital membranes, and will also contribute to infections. So if parents believe the hogwash about having to retract the foreskin and scrub everything with soap, and they follow those directions, it will certainly cause their child an infection. Then, instead of blaming the infection on the forced retraction and soap, they think it was because they didn't clean it often enough or thoroughly enough. So they treat the infection with antibiotics and retract and scrub the penis more frequently and thoroughly. Then their child keeps getting infections. And then what do they do? They say, "It is impossible to keep little Junior's penis clean with that darn foreskin. Let's just cut it off." So then Junior is circumcised, and the parents stop washing his penis with soap, and miraculously the 'circumcision' cured all of Junior's UTIs. So they tell everyone who will listen that all boys must be circumcised and it is just impossible to keep the intact penis clean.

Now the truth of the matter is that if you never, never, never, never, ever retract your child's foreskin or go anywhere near his diaper area with soap, the child's risk of UTI is practically nill. My intact son is almost 2 and has never had a UTI. This is how I bathe him: I put him in the tub, let him splash around for a while, wash his face and hair, let him splash, then take him out. That's it! It's so easy to keep him clean and healthy!

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#26 of 104 Old 03-18-2006, 12:08 AM

My 7 year old intact son has never had a UTI. And he is not yet retractable and no one has ever forced it.
#27 of 104 Old 03-18-2006, 12:14 AM

Nope.. no problems or infections of any kind, ever. He'll be 4 in July, and takes a bath maybe once a week? once every 14 days? It's too dry around here to bathe every day, and they just don't get that dirty in the winter! We up that in the summer months based on where they've been and how much sunblock and/or bugspray they've been exposed to each day, but still no problems. He's not retractile yet. But he's pretty damn happy!

lizzie

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#28 of 104 Old 03-18-2006, 12:17 AM

My boys are almost 4 and almost 2, intact, no UTI's to date.

MY DD IS almost 6, has had 2 or 3 UTI's to date (all before potty training)and no one ever once suggested she be circumcised to prevent future UTI's. Strange, huh? (a bit of sarcasm, I hope came through)

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#29 of 104 Old 03-18-2006, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
38 y.o. intact dh has never had one, and neither has 15 mo old ds.
#30 of 104 Old 03-18-2006, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfThePride
UTIs are not common in males at all. The most likely thing that will cause UTIs and a foreskin swollen shut is to pull the foreskin back and scrub under it with soap. There is a commonly held belief in America that the penis is naturally dirty and it must be forcefully opened and scrubbed with soap to prevent infections. This is the wrong thing to do. The foreskin is adhered to the glans in childhood the same way kittens and puppies are born with their eyes sealed shut. They all will come loose and open up when they are ready. Forcing the foreskin to pull back before it's ready will cause skin damage and great pain. The damaged skin is susceptible to infection. Using soap changes the pH balance of the genital membranes, and will also contribute to infections. So if parents believe the hogwash about having to retract the foreskin and scrub everything with soap, and they follow those directions, it will certainly cause their child an infection. Then, instead of blaming the infection on the forced retraction and soap, they think it was because they didn't clean it often enough or thoroughly enough. So they treat the infection with antibiotics and retract and scrub the penis more frequently and thoroughly. Then their child keeps getting infections. And then what do they do? They say, "It is impossible to keep little Junior's penis clean with that darn foreskin. Let's just cut it off." So then Junior is circumcised, and the parents stop washing his penis with soap, and miraculously the 'circumcision' cured all of Junior's UTIs. So they tell everyone who will listen that all boys must be circumcised and it is just impossible to keep the intact penis clean.

Now the truth of the matter is that if you never, never, never, never, ever retract your child's foreskin or go anywhere near his diaper area with soap, the child's risk of UTI is practically nill. My intact son is almost 2 and has never had a UTI. This is how I bathe him: I put him in the tub, let him splash around for a while, wash his face and hair, let him splash, then take him out. That's it! It's so easy to keep him clean and healthy!

This makes perfect sense to me--as a mom of a girl, i've been told plenty of times not to scrub her (and my, for that matter) genitals with soap because it can contribute to yeast infections and UTI's. Makes perfect sense that intact boys would have the same needs.

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page