Yikes! Except we discovered our son's hydronephrosis when he was three weeks old and his diaper was full of blood.
! Disastrous tip to the emergency (too long to even describe) and a week in the paediatric ward started me on my journey to figuring out what the heck hydronephrosis was. I’m no expert, but I’ve done lots of reading on it and just happened to get my DS into a nearby major urban city children’s hospital because I knew a researcher there who is a -get this- nephrologist! She was great and was able to bypass the 2 month waiting list to see another nephrologist: Dr. Harvey. She’s a well respected specialist in this condition. Check her out at Sick Kids hospital in Toronto. www.sickkids.on.ca
He had all the tests. VCUG showed that it was not reflux (which is the major cause of hydronephrosis and can only be diagnosed with the VCUG) Next step was a nuclear exam... not pleasant. Big radioactive sticker on the vial they are going to inject into your baby. Technicians saw a blockage, thought it might be a tumour, but further tests showed it was just an immaturity in the uritor. (Is that how you spell it??)
As for retraction, it was never an issue. We had wonderful nurses who inserted both his catheter and his intravenous lines without a peep from him. No kidding. He even slept through the nuclear scan.
The VCUG was a little more traumatic since they had to wait for him to pee so they could trace the dye. Nurse him right before the test and it should speed things up. Our son goes back every few months for a follow up exam (ultrasound and urine testing) but so far so good!
His treatment was intravenous antibiotics while in the hospital to treat the UTI, Kidney infection and sepsis. Upon discharge he was placed on a prophylactic course of antibiotics that were changed several times due to an allergic reaction. I know, I know... ridiculous.
: Anyways, once we had him in to see Dr. Harvey we were able to convince her to take him off the antibiotics at about 5 months of age. She wanted him on them until he was toilet trained, but I was convinced that would ruin him and had a good discussion with her about the risk/ benefit ratio of antibiotics versus a wait and see approach. That said, I did agree that if he ever got another infection I would keep him on the antibiotics since the damage to his one kidney was significant.
1. Get him into see a Nephrologist. Your location says Houston. They must have one there. These are Kidney specialists who specialise in hydronephrosis.
2. Go to a naturopath/homeopath. We had our son treated by a great homeopath and I swear he is the reason there has not even been an inkling of an infection since that horrific start to his life.
3. Be sure your son is on some sort of pro biotic to counteract the antibiotics. Any health food store can sell you an infant dosage.
4. Don’t vaccinate! We were on the fence about vaccines and had delayed them because of his condition, but when he finally had the first set at 5 months he was a mess. I wish I had known about MDC back then!! Again, thank goodness for homeopathy! At the very least delay them until he is totally well.
That's my advice, for what it is worth.