Let's have an intactivist ROLL-CALL! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 77 Old 10-01-2006, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First name, and any family details you want to share.
Casey(almost 29), SAHM to intact 7 month old son, married for 9 years (so far)to Tony (33)

What state/province are you from?
Georgia. Hoping to someday move to OR though. However, I'm guessing the circ rate is high here in GA, so I'm hoping to reach a lot of local ppl with my bumpersticker...people who might have never given it a thought or didn't know that anyone DOESN'T circ.

Briefly, what drew you to this issue?
Well, I learned about FGM first and thought it was the most horrific thing I'd ever heard of. I read about it in some teen magazine. I decided then and there that when I was older I would do what I could to stop it. I learned about MGM soon after that and thought it was just as awful. My interests lie more in stopping RIC now as many, many more boys/men are effected by MGM than girls/women by FGM.

Particular interests? Special talents?
Well...I knit! I suppose I could knit wool foreskins! Willy Warmers? I breastfeed...is that a special talent? I'm a photographer, and I used to make vinyl signs. I'm interested in WWII, babies, breastfeeding, and stopping RIC.

What kinds of things are you doing to discourage/end RIC?
Not enough. I've commited to myself to talk to every pregnant lady I know who is expecting a boy. I post on message boards trying to educate people about RIC. I recently got dh to agree to a anti-circ bumpersticker and ordered one. I'm planning to buy a anti-circ t-shirt and wear it! I'm hoping in the future to work at anti-circ booths at baby fairs. I'm going to start carrying around Lucky Stiff cards and accidently leaving them places (bathroom at Babies R Us?), and have some in my car in case anyone wants to know about my bumpersticker. Oh, and I personally saved at least one foreskin! My son's!

If you could give an expectant parent one link, what would it be?
http://www.circumstitions.com/Itsaboy.html

Casey
Mama to DS 2/22/06 and DS 3/27/09 :
#62 of 77 Old 10-01-2006, 12:19 PM

Cassie, wife to a circ'd DH and 2 circ'd boys

What state/province are you from? Florida

Briefly, what drew you to this issue? My feelings of guilt after circ'ing my DS2. I knew that if I felt guilty, there was a reason, which this board showed me.

Particular interests? Special talents? None really. I like sewing and am an aspiring doula!

What kinds of things are you doing to discourage/end RIC? I've been talking to close friends and relatives that are expecting boys. I also took Greenie up on her challenge with my myspace blog. I've got more to do, but every little bit counts.

If you could give an expectant parent one link, what would it be? http://www.norm.org/respect.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#63 of 77 Old 10-01-2006, 12:44 PM

Angela (25), DH (23), DS (3 today!), DS (11 months)

BC Canada

DS is intact and started reading in this forum when I found MDC

I love to garden and cross stitch Also hike in the summertime.

Word of mouth, referring people to MDC.

Defenitely MDC.
#64 of 77 Old 10-01-2006, 01:43 PM

Howard, married, DD (26), DS (24).

Alberta, Canada

I have always hated being circumcised, and could never understand why anyone would do this to a child.

Hiking, Canoeing, Camping, Antique motorcycles and a whole lot more that I can't afford and have no time for !!!

I participate on this board to give "one man's opinion" and having spent my entire scool career in boarding schools, to help dispell the "teasing" myth.
I have talked to both my children about the evils of RIC. (DS had a PG friend come and talk to me about it - one saved !!)
I bring the subject up with relatives and pass on articles such as the "Men's Health" one (saved one nephew)
I have finaly got up the courage to speak to PG strangers - amazingly , they have been quite receptive.

www.cirp.org , but also www.mothersagainstcirc.org , and of course, MDC.
#65 of 77 Old 10-01-2006, 04:27 PM

You all are such neat people!!! It makes my day to feel like I'm surrounded by virtual people like you.

My name is Erin and I'm married with two sons.

I'm from South Carolina (I live in Ohio now).

I was drawn to the issue after I stuffed my maternal instincts and let ds1 be circumcised because I had always been told you just "had" to do it. It was horrible and I was sooo incredibly relieved to find out it wasn't necessary for ds2. I still feel guilt about ds1 and I am now an intactivist becuase I don't want other mothers thinking they have to betray their instincts and suffering guilt.

I love hiking, gardening, canoeing, and contra dancing.

In the past, I have gotten letters to the editor published and talked to people. However, this board has been so on-fire in the last month or so that you all have inspired me to really take it up a notch. Thanks to your example, in the past week I have set aside money to donate to NOCIRC (will mail it out this week); emailed colorado NOCIRC about ordering pamphlets; and written a letter to send to my state legislators about Medicaid funding (I'll finish addressing them this week and mail them out).

I have been linking people to www.nocirc.org, but you all have given so many wonderful suggestions that I think I am going to start linking people elsewhere. Nocirc is ta great organization but doesn't have the most eye-catching webpage, imo.
#66 of 77 Old 10-01-2006, 06:59 PM

Its is so great to see so many new names...

Gee I wish I had time to read this right now... I should have bumped it on a less busy weekend (-; kidding.

Sigh.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#67 of 77 Old 10-01-2006, 07:33 PM

Jill (24) Hannah (4) Noah (15 mos) and intact!

New transplant to San Antonio Area Texas from Southern California (BTW If anyone that lives near SA wants to meet up I would LOVE to meet new friends~especially intactivists like myself!)

My oldest sister gave birth to my nephew in Australia, and of course appalled my parents in America when she didnt circ him. I remember they would complain that it was "so gross" and say cruel things about him behind his mothers back. Fast foreword 15 years...I never really gave much thought to circumcision until I became pregnant with a boy. I remembered my nephew was intact so I started researching why someone would NOT consider circumcising, because I was still brainwashed from the mom that it was "gross" and "wrong" not to circ. She told me all the horror stories about old men she had to clean in the hospital (shes a nurse) because they couldnt clean under their foreskins real well. How it stinks ETC... During the pregnancy I informed her that I didnt care I was not circumcising my son! When I was being induced in the hospital she wouldnt let up! When the nurse asked if I was going to circ, I said no and my mom gave me a dirty look and threw a fit. I was asked about 20 more times while in the hospital if I "was sure" I didnt want to circumcise my son, as if I was making a HUGE mistake. When DH's family came to the hospital to visit the day after Noah was born they started hounding us about the circumcision as well(what is with all these damn people worrying about my sons penis anyways?!) I was in tears. I felt nobody in the world supported MY decision NOT to HARM my baby! When we came home I started having 2nd thoughts, but my pediatrician actually talked me out of it (thank you GOD!!) She was so caring, and wonderful...I will always love her for being my support when nobody else would. I have never had a second thought since! I know I made the right decision and I am even convincing DH to restore I cant wait to enjoy his foreskin when he gets his back !!!

Activism of all kinds, horse riding, my kids family

Sharing all the info I have with family members and talking openly with people.

This mothering website! It has helped me trememdously
#68 of 77 Old 10-01-2006, 08:10 PM

Cari and my dh is Jay (Jacob) and we have three kids (see siggy)

Washington state, near Seattle

As far as what brought me to this issue....my ds wasnt circ'd simply because it wasnt covered under medicaid and I wasnt about to pay for it, lol. It did kind of raise a red flag in my mind that they didnt cover it because it was a cosmetic procedure, but I didnt put much other thought into it. Then, my poor nephew had all these problems with his circ and that kind of made me see that I was lucky my ds was intact.
I didnt actually do any sort of research into it until I met dh. He was very against circ and then as we got into a physical relationship we realised that his circ had cost him much of his sensation. This was basically the first time I did any sort of research into it. I know I had started reading mothering at some point before I met him but I hadnt run into the circ articles yet. Anyway, as time went on I really became an intactivist as did dh and of course, none of our boys will be circ'd. Oh, and ds is perfectly happy with his penis as is, lol.

My special interests....I have been in Tae Kwon Do since I was 12, off and on (since I had my first, kids kind of make it hard, ). I'm a surrogate too and I did an (one time!) egg donation. I'm working on my 2nd surrogacy

Um, we have a bumper sticker, we (esp dh) talk about it whenever we have the opportunity, we printed up brochures to leave in random places, and dh is the WA rep for the MGM bill. We are also working on seperate legislation to require healthcare practitioners to have to provide FULL information for parents before they perform a circumcision, including current rates (a big help for us, since the rates are only about 30% here), risks, pain involved, etc.

Well, I love mothering and send parents here all the time, but for circumcision alone, I like cirp as well as mothersagainstcircumcision. If they are Jewish, I send them to Jewsagainstcircumcision. Really it all depends on the person....I have also sent a few people to check out DOC because they seemed to be really medically oriented and I thought that it would strike a chord with them.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#69 of 77 Old 10-01-2006, 09:16 PM

Susannah, mother to Ivan (6/10/05) married to David (10/4/02)

From Richmond, VA, live in NJ

Becomming pregnant with my son. I had heard of a poor little baby having his penis cut off during RIC and I knew I must look into the procedure more. Hearing about the strapping down of the baby in the circumstraint was enough to make me say "no" to circ. Then the rest i have learned has just broken my heart. : Thank goodness I said "no" to circ for my precious son.

Animal rights, environmental protection, human rights, organic gardening, vegetarian cooking, attachment parenting, becomming a La Leche League Leader

Trying to become a NOCIRC center in NJ, bumper stickers on car, circ link on email siggy, wrote to gov't officials about stopping Medicade for circ, wrote to my health insurance company about stopping funding of RIC

www.circumstitions.com "It's A Boy"

SAHM to Ivan 6/10/05 who says  signcirc1.gifand Matilda 1/31/08 who says saynovax.gif:::

#70 of 77 Old 10-01-2006, 10:52 PM

Kim mom to seven and wife to one
upstate NY

Researching it alot when I was a childbirth educator. I was horrified by it before, but that just clinched it. Especiallly when I saw that one circ IRL. The screams of that baby will haunt me forever.

I love to write. I love to read too but can't now until my cataract surgery (no I"m not that old, iti's genetic)

PUtting pamphlets in my ob/gny's office

#71 of 77 Old 10-07-2006, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Jenny (26), married to intact man (28). We have two daughters together, ages (almost)3 years & 1 year.

From Maine. Current residence: North Carolina

I have three nephews - two intact. My oldest nephew was circed. I was so shocked. My sister left the choice up to her (now ex)dh. I had a (now infamous & frowned upon by my family) discussion with her about it after the fact. After that, I decided to do what I could to inform parents beforehand.

Writing. Parenting. Nature. Theatre & Music & other such manifestations of culture & art

I recently posted a blog and added some intactivist profiles on Myspace profile. I'm looking for a good bumper sticker. I discuss the topic when it comes up.
If there is a no-circ organization in NC, please send me a link/contact info.

Taken from an MDC siggie:
(Better for Men): http://www.noharmm.org/advantage.htm
(& Women): http://www.nzma.org.nz/journal/116-1181/595/

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#72 of 77 Old 10-20-2006, 09:50 AM

Bill
Australia

A talk in 2001 in which the speaker said that there 75 million US men alive today who were tortured after birth. He also said no-one would ever support circumcision if they saw a man relive his own circumcision.

I'm good at chess, computer programming.

Recently Ive been getting more militant, I'm experimenting with contacting the government, etc. I'm on some email lists.

#73 of 77 Old 10-20-2006, 12:04 PM

Gillian, my Dh and Dd (5), Ds (nearly 3) and the fetus...

New Jersey

I don't really remember. I remember that I started reading info on circ long before I met Dh or had kids and made the decision that I would never allow my sons to be circ'd. But I don't remember how I started reading. As it turned out, it never became an issue once I met Dh as he and his whole family are intact, as was most of my family. So with the exception of his maternal grandfather (and some distant cousins I'm sure) Ds comes from two intact families. I'm really proud of that.

I'm an artist. I studied printmaking in school, but now, I mostly do fiber arts. I'm a childbirth educator and hoping to start midwifery school in the not too distant future.

I'm very open about it. I think it helps. Naturally, circumcision is something I need to discuss in my childbirth classes. I walk a fine line though. I need to promote options and all benefits/risks to whatever I teach, but I cannot cross the line during class. I have found though that evidence based education works. I am probably the only teacher at the hospital who shows the slides of a circumcision, and talks about what exactly is cut away, but my belief is that if you are going to circ, you should understand what is involved. It certainly doesn't change everyone's mind, but I know that I have reached some people. I've had more than a handful of people come and tell me that my openness about the topic has led them to more research on the issue. And I'm surprised at how many parents didn't understand that circing their sons was an option at the hospital.

If you could give an expectant parent one link, what would it be?[/B]
A circ video. Facts and figures are nice, but nothing drives a point home more than actually seeing it with your own eyes.
#74 of 77 Old 10-20-2006, 02:03 PM

Clara, mom of 2 girls and 2 boys, all intact, wife to 1 dh circed hoping to restore

Grew up in N. Cal and now live in NH

I remember asking my mom what circ was after hearing about Jesus' circ. I was horrified. My 4 younger brothers are intact, older brother is not. My mom regrets my brother's circ so I learned from that. Was no question I would leave my dss intact. It wasn't until I found MDC that I became a raging intactivist. I had no idea the real horror of it, just thought it was painful and unnecessary.

I'm a fiddle player and love music and outdoors. Hoping to become a midwife someday.

I talk about it with all my friends. All of my 5 nephews are intact! I recently wrote an article and have been handing it out. I need to do more. Thanks for all the tips!

Since most of my friends are Catholic I would send them to catholicsagainstcircumcision.com Otherwise I will probably start handing out copies of articles.
#75 of 77 Old 10-20-2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiddlinmama View Post
I recently wrote an article and have been handing it out. I need to do more.
Can you post it here? I for one would love to see it.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#76 of 77 Old 10-20-2006, 05:51 PM

-Jeannie, mama to 2 intact boys, Gage 7yo, and Roland 3mo

- I'm from TN, but currently living in DE

-I've been pro-intact since I had my first, but this forum has really spurred me to get the word out.

-Hmm... I read alot. Mostly fiction. Don't really have any 'special talents' to speak of.

-I have some stuff on my myspace... an banner that says "babies are born perfect...circumcision mutilates them", the circ video, an informative blog. I bring it up whenever possible and try to dispell foreskin myths and encourage people not to circ. I sign petitions. I'm waiting on a bumper sticker that should be coming in the mail, but DH won't let me put it on the truck... I guess I'll put it on Roland's stroller or diaper bag. I have converted one cousin to intactivism and convinced another not to circ her unborn son.

-I don't really know of alot of links...I'm still new at this intactivist stuff, but I have referred a couple people here.
#77 of 77 Old 10-20-2006, 06:18 PM

Stacy, 34 weeks pregnant w/first child!

California

Finding out I'm having a son!

reading, surfing the net, baking

I'm not CIRCing my son. I figure that's a great place to start.

www.noharmm.org

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page