Let's have an intactivist ROLL-CALL! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 77 Old 04-02-2006, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First name, and any family details you want to share.

What state/province are you from?

Briefly, what drew you to this issue?

Particular interests? Special talents?

What kinds of things are you doing to discourage/end RIC?

If you could give an expectant parent one link, what would it be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 77 Old 04-02-2006, 06:29 PM

Alright, I'll give this a try

Nicole, married, SAHM to intact DS.

Michigan

Having a natural unassisted birth with my son; wanting him to live a natural, whole, untampered with healthy life.

I love to read, take care of animals, and spend time with my DH and DS.

~Donated $50 to No Circ of MI just last week.
~I wear my "Stop Circumcision" bracelet everyday. It has started a couple conversations about the subject.
~I give informational phamplets to any expectant mother I know (I almost always carry these phamplets with me)
~Made a pink and blue bumper sticker that says "Circumcision advocates aren't playing with a full dick"
~Currently looking for interesting places to leave printouts
http://notjustskin.org
#3 of 77 Old 04-02-2006, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Jen (26), mommy to Quinn (2 1/2) and dss Jon (15). Happily married to dh (36).

Near Portland, OR.

I worked as a nursing assistant, where one of my duties was assisting with circumcisions. What I witnessed was the catalyst for researching the issue, and what I learned (and continue to learn) fuels my activism.

I'm a childbirth educator, birth assistant, and breastfeeding peer counselor.

I share information on message boards, create eye-catching graphics, blinkies, and anti-ric siggies. I'm working on learning website design and will be creating a website during the next few months. I host an Intact Care Board on another parenting website. I'm also hoping to create a "Circumcision Decision" class to supplement more general childbirth education classes, and will hopefully be making an online version available too.

http://www.mothering.com/articles/ne...cumcision.html because it's a great overview.

Jen
#4 of 77 Old 04-02-2006, 08:50 PM

Rebecca, dh, dd (5), ds (2)

Minnesota

I guess I didn't realize people still did this, my mom is anti-circ, didn't circ my brother, and is outspoken about it; that and doing more research before I started attending births as a doula.

I'm a doula, and one of the leaders of the API group here.

~I talk about it often, whenever I talk about my doula work, or see a pregnant woman, learn of a pregnancy in any way related to me.
~I always give the "case against circ" article as part of my "hey you're a friend of mine and having your first baby" gift
~I've "accidentily" left copies of the Nocirc "answers to your ?s about infant circ" pamphlet at Kinko's.
~brainstormed bumpersticker ideas with my father (my favorite of his is "Foreskins are better than none"), which in turn keeps the topic going on my family
~I have a lot of anti-circ info in the folder that I give potential doula families, they know right away that I don't think it's ok.

http://www.circumstitions.com/Itsaboy.html

R~mama to 3

#5 of 77 Old 04-02-2006, 10:27 PM

Melissa, dh Harold, dd Alenna 5yrs ds Xander 17months

Tennesse

I have always known I wouldnt circ. What has drawn me to it is the birth of my son.

Reading, nothing really special I can sew very well by hand or with machine tho

Talk to anyone who will listen, leave little cards every were I can think of for people to read about it.

www.noharm.com

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#6 of 77 Old 04-02-2006, 10:44 PM

Betsy (23 - almost!), dh (22), dd (5 months - almost!)

Born in Georgia, live in Washington (the state) and have lived everywhere in between.

Having an intact husband and researching more about it.

Music. I can play every wind instrument except the saxophone in varying degrees of proficiency. I'm more experienced with brass instruments (as you probably already figured out...).

I talk to almost everyone about it if there's an opportune moment (such as someone mentioning they're pregnant). I signed a petition... I'd like to do more, but haven't had time yet

http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcisi...ision_quiz.htm

because it's written by a doctor and it's so simple that anyone should be able to see the myths vs. the facts.

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#7 of 77 Old 04-02-2006, 11:01 PM

Stevie, married to Allan, mom to Solomon age 29, and my 2 littles

Wisconsin

researching while I was waiting for younger DS to be born

reading is a passion; health and nutrition are my avocation

I speak with every young person I meet. I also have made a couple of bumperstickers.

MDC is where I send everyone
#8 of 77 Old 04-03-2006, 12:15 AM

Alcon. I'm a high schooler, so I don't have many other family details to share I became interested when I ended up doing a project on circumcision in middle school. I couldn't understand why anyone would reasonably do it.

Beautiful Washington State

Well, I went to a doctor's check-up when I was about 11 and my doctor assured me that only about half of boys my age in the area were circumcised. I assumed that they were born that way - I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to do that to themselves. Eventually, I ended up doing a project on it (randomly selected subject in a health class) and became even more strongly against it.

I like political stuff, and do lots of things with computer security.

Spread the word. Not much else to do, I suppose.
#9 of 77 Old 04-03-2006, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My name is Noah (yes a Female Noah). I have a dh who is circ'd and a ds (15 months) who is not.

Washington State - near Seattle.

Dh and I decided to not circ ds because it just seemed like a dumb thing to do. I knew a little about it (enough to know it was painful), but had no idea at the time about the function of the foreskin and such. Since having ds and finding Mothering and the real truths about the awfulness of circ I've become a complete intactivist and have really lost a lot of respect for people I know who knew better and circ'd.

I love to sew and just got my first serger for Christmas. I'm working on learning to sew diapers. I'm also a lactivist and really into human rights (including children's rights) in general. I also love anything outdoorsy.

Mostly just educating myself so I can talk to others about it. I've been thinking about printing up cards to stick in library books and such (need to get one it). I'd also like to help out at NOCIRC's conference here in Seattle in August, but haven't found a contact person to ask about doing it. I also have anti-circ satements/links in my signature on other sites I post on and have debated circ on a private board I'm on (and have had people say they are reconsidering based on that - even one who has a circ'd ds because she knew nothing about it!)

Just one? That's tough. I'd probably send them here (or just mention mothering in general so that they could stumble on this forum themselves).

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#10 of 77 Old 04-03-2006, 03:23 AM

Pauline/Dan/Cassidy

Ontario

Hubs is intact

Knitting, crocheting, losing weight...: Special talents? Not too much.

Talking to everyone I know about it.

I link to here.
#11 of 77 Old 04-03-2006, 03:29 AM

Kia, married to an American. We have boy/girl twins, they will be 4 next summer. 1 french bulldog, 3 cats.

Finland/Scandinavia/Europe. My spouse is originally from California.

When I lived in USA I learned about circumcision - it shocked me so badly I wanted to do something. Also I spoke with a jewish man (here in Finland)who had badly bothced circ in Israel and his opinions about RIC had a big influence.

I try to remind people how healthy intact men are - circumcision has always been unknown practise in Scandinavia.

Because I am on the other side of Atlantic all I can do is write to message boards.

Well, Mothering ofcourse. Great place for parents to get info. From actual intact-concentrated info pages I would choose http://www.infocirc.org/index-e.htm
#12 of 77 Old 04-03-2006, 03:34 AM

Stella, mom to one Sept 04 super son.
dh is circ'd

Phx, Az

After we decided we werent circing, it suprised me how sad I was when I heard others were (too much internet baby boards) and I read more and more, and realised it was something I felt pretty passionately about.

Computers, online communities, video games (EQ, WoW) knitting, reading
No talents, haha, but I am a blood banker in my mommy off time. :P

Posting links, info, my story, reassuring and trying to persuade expectant mothers to BE INFORMED. Dont have many friends in real life but I talk to my girlfriends about all aspects of AP, and have talked my sister out of RIC any of her sons, and plan on hitting my sister in laws when they decide they want children. I want to do so much more, need to snail mail our no circ chapter here.

I really like the lost list, I think it gives a good over view of all the important aspects of the intact penis and their purposes.
http://www.norm.org/lost.html

but there are sooo many links!
#13 of 77 Old 04-03-2006, 04:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
First name, and any family details you want to share. Barbara, married for 7.5 years to Jesse whom I've been with since we were 17. We have a 7 year old and 10 month old

What state/province are you from? Origionally I'm from OR (where ds1 was born) but I spent 5 years in Wa state where dh's family lived until 1.5 years ago when we moved to MO

Briefly, what drew you to this issue? I chose not to circ ds1 because it seemed so wrong, I saw a video of a baby being strapped down and crying and it broke my heart and couldn't imagine doing that to my son. I heard all the locker room arguements and it just seemed silly to do it for that reason. I didn't circ ds2 either for those same reasons, plus I had since gotten a chance to research it more.

Particular interests? Special talents? I love punk and metal music

What kinds of things are you doing to discourage/end RIC? Well luckily in this state Circ is not covered by medicaid, and many people don't want to pay an extra $650 out of pocket to have it done. I do talk about circ with people and how I didn't do it and why.

If you could give an expectant parent one link, what would it be I would direct them to MDC (and I have), because not only does it have a great section on no circ, it also is informative in all the other aspects of AP

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#14 of 77 Old 04-03-2006, 10:58 AM

Nancy, mama to almost 3 year old ds (circ'd) and boy/girl twins born New Year's Eve. Ds #2 is intact and of course all other boys we may have will be intact.

Born and raised in Northern CA but currently live in MI

Ds #1 is circ'd as a result of pressure from family, friends and pretty much anyone I came into contact with. I read up a bit on circ and thought it sounded unnecessary but in the end I doubted myself. If only I had come into contact with ONE person who told me to leave him intact, I bet he would be today.

No special talents. I enjoy hiking and researching things online.

Well I start up anti-circ conversations on other boards, which usually end up getting shut down by moderators who don't want to hear what a horrible thing they did to their sons. I talk with married family members or friends who don't have kids yet, hoping to "brainwash" them into leaving their future sons intact. I wish I had had a relative like me before I had kids.

Not sure, probably a link to this board.

Blessed mama of four
::
#15 of 77 Old 04-03-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower_mommy
Janet , I have 5 kids 1 boy he's 14

utah

After Mil startedgiving us a hardtime about keeping ds intact I started resurching. Even though DH has problems with hs circ (they took way to much skin and scaring) she still insists it's needed.To the point of trying to talk dh into getting it done when I was not there.
Particular interests? Special talents?knitting, sewing, gardening, reading, and cooking.

just telling everyone about our lack of problems with Ds. It's hardcin this area we have such a high circ rate.

This one I don't have to many that I saved.
#16 of 77 Old 04-03-2006, 12:22 PM

Niki; mother of three children, one a boy

Washington, Snoqualmie area

Family is historically intact (never know how to describe that - my dad is a descendant of the infamous Dr. Kellog but somewhere along the lines, there was a major family revolt and they're all intact...) as is my husband's (his father is the unfortunate and lesson-learning exception to that). I didn't think twice about it, I just assumed we would not circ (DH of course agreed!), the same way I assumed a good many things as a just-out-of-teens parent. The activism began when I HEARD one after giving birth to my first. I had assumed that they were extraordinarily rare anymore. A nurse assured me that this was not the case. I had nightmares all throughout the pregnancy with my son; I would dream that he was circumcised without my consent in the large hospital I 'had to' deliver at. Thus began actually looking into the subject beyond the broad and familially-induced impression that circumcision was a stupidity that was rapidly declining.

I've convinced my family to make some sort of opportunity-based effort to educate their high school and college peers (all my siblings are younger). They seem wildly successful thus far at being the first to get this information to them. My sister in particular, as a history major, is able to tell her classmates to "just look up the history" if they balk at the concept...

I've also been known to write lengthy posts on mainstream boards and actually have a talent for doing so in a non-offensive way, which I hope helps reach more people.

http://www.cirp.org/news/Mothering1997/

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#17 of 77 Old 04-03-2006, 01:18 PM

See my sig.

AZ

A man I worked with before I had kids, he talked about it openly. He regretted that his parents did that to him and was attempting to restore his foreskin. He gently spoke to all the expectant parents at work about it. I thought he had a lot of courage.

My dh is intact and he's Hindu, so circ is not something that is normally done to baby boys.

Well lots, but not relating this forum. Homeschooling, writing.

I just try to talk about it with moms-to-be.

How Male Circ May Be Affecting Your Love Life
http://mensightmagazine.com/Articles...p/lovecirc.htm

Because it's very interesting and would appeal to women who have a male partner, and get them thinking about their own sons.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#18 of 77 Old 04-03-2006, 01:28 PM

Jeni, sahm to 14 mo dd, wife to Mike

PA

Since I was a teen I thought it was kind of a silly and weird thing to do, and didn't think I would ever do that to a son, but didn't think about it too much otherwise. After getting pg, I came to mdc, ventured in here a bit because I figured I needed to know what was what in case I had a boy, and have gradually become more outraged.

History, especially historical costuming. Medieval living history.

Mostly word of mouth and distribution of flyers up ubtil now, but I'm working on networking with other PA people for a more organized effort.

Phoebe's site usually, also like the colorado one. I think the format of one page that's down to earth and concise is the best warm up. Seems like if you send someone to a forum such as here, they're not as likely to read through it. And sometimes the vent threads here can be a little off-putting.
#19 of 77 Old 04-03-2006, 02:15 PM

Wendy (29), dh Marc (27), Damien (6--not dh's biological son), Jake (2), and Liam (6 mos.) Our 3 boys are intact. We are Jewish, it hasn't been an issue except w/ FIL, who thinks we made a mistake not having it done, but oddly enough for "medical" reasons. MIL thinks it's barbaric and commented that she's glad I had the strength to stand up and wishes she had.

We are from PA, living in IN while dh is in grad school.

Thought circ was normal until I noticed most of the babiy boys whose diapers I changed at work (daycare, while I was in college at Penn State) were intact. Asked the ladies I worked w/ and none of their kids were circ'd. Intact started looking more normal. It came up in my Bradley classes when I was pg w/ ds2, and my research then made me not only against having it done to my boys, but against all RIC.

I'm good at art and music. Have a B.S. in chemistry, planning on going back to school to be a nurse practitioner, either pediatric or neonatal. I sew, mostly organic cotton sherpa cloth diapers for ds and friends, also knitting a little. Still REALLY slow! My current project is a pair of organic longies or shorties, depending on when I get them done. I dyed my balls of Treliske yarn by hand w/ indigo and that yarn is BEAUTIFUL!!! I think I'll put a link in my sig to a pic when I'm done.

Well, my older sister's oldest is 4. When D was a baby, she thought it was gross he wasn't circ'd. She now has 2 intact little boys. I try to plant the seeds in anyone I talk to where having babies comes up. You know, just casually mention in my whole homebirth spiel how the hospital here tried to circ Jake 3 times and isn't that awful? Can't believe people around here still do such a barbaric thing, where I had ds1, no one does that! (which, btw, is very true. Less than 10% circ rate in State College, PA, the year he was born!)

I would give them Mothering articles, not links.
#20 of 77 Old 04-03-2006, 09:35 PM

Ann and Tim with one son Rowan

CO

I guess I really didn't know this surgery existed. Then people came into my life to bring my awareness to circumcision. To educate ourselves, DH and I watched a video of a circumcision when I was pregnant (didn't know we were pregnant with a boy) and I became passionate about ending RIC.

river trips, anything creative, dance, music, inventive imagination

talk to people, support nocirc

hmmmmmmm here
#21 of 77 Old 04-03-2006, 09:41 PM

Kathryn. I've got a 22 month old little girl, a wonderful husband, and I'm due in October with another.

Texas.

I've always been a huge child and infant rights person.

Nothing I can really think of that's super cool.

Talk to anyone possible. Leave no circ business cards places, making bumper stickers, t-shirts, diaper bags, etc..

Probably here.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#22 of 77 Old 04-03-2006, 09:51 PM

Jessica, momma to Joshua who just turned 2 years old

Massachusetts

I wondered what I needed to know about circumcision- I came from the, 'I thought it was medically necessary point of veiw' and was shocked to find out it was not medically necessary (read the AAP to figure that out)

Right now I pretty much just try to keep up with my son and bare minimum of everything else

Writing letters, post to forums, expecting groups, etc.

The link to the 'if you regret circumcising your son' here

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#23 of 77 Old 04-03-2006, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower_mommy

Chris, dp to Aaron, a guy who says he "doesn't care either way" about circumcision until I mention it (and I do A LOT!) and that makes him get defensive (he's circ'd) about the whole thing. I'm still unsettled about him not being in 100% agreement about the human rights violation (see above statement about getting defensive).

1.) Ontario, Canada... London to be exact.

2.) Am an intact male for 30 years and see NO reason to change what's worked for me without problems. Ever since I knew about the difference at around 8 or 9, thought it was a STUPID thing to do. It wasn't until I was 16 when my cousin was born and my mom and grandma talked about how he will have it done that I thought "what about HIS rights?!" that I became a TRUE intactivist; a word I didn't even know about until the late-'90s and the internet, THANK GOODNESS! It's become "my cause" and I'm passionate about it and plan to make it a life-long cause ending MGM!

3.) The entertainment industry. My brother and I won 2nd place in a script writing contest. We created a complete sitcom and wrote a pilot which won runner-up. We're looking for agent representation. (hint-hint, L.A.ites hehe). We plan on making an anti-circ comments a regular thing throughout the run of the series once it gets accepted and developed. There's an anti-circ website that compiles the pro-intact statements from movies and TV shows and we want to DRAMATICALLY add to that list.

4.) Mothering Dot Commune: The Case Against Circumcision ; Circumstitions.com
#24 of 77 Old 04-03-2006, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221
Wendy (29), dh Marc (27), Damien (6--not dh's biological son), Jake (2), and Liam (6 mos.) Our 3 boys are intact. We are Jewish, it hasn't been an issue except w/ FIL, who thinks we made a mistake not having it done, but oddly enough for "medical" reasons. MIL thinks it's barbaric and commented that she's glad I had the strength to stand up and wishes she had.

We are from PA, living in IN while dh is in grad school.

Thought circ was normal until I noticed most of the babiy boys whose diapers I changed at work (daycare, while I was in college at Penn State) were intact. Asked the ladies I worked w/ and none of their kids were circ'd. Intact started looking more normal. It came up in my Bradley classes when I was pg w/ ds2, and my research then made me not only against having it done to my boys, but against all RIC.

I'm good at art and music. Have a B.S. in chemistry, planning on going back to school to be a nurse practitioner, either pediatric or neonatal. I sew, mostly organic cotton sherpa cloth diapers for ds and friends, also knitting a little. Still REALLY slow! My current project is a pair of organic longies or shorties, depending on when I get them done. I dyed my balls of Treliske yarn by hand w/ indigo and that yarn is BEAUTIFUL!!! I think I'll put a link in my sig to a pic when I'm done.

Well, my older sister's oldest is 4. When D was a baby, she thought it was gross he wasn't circ'd. She now has 2 intact little boys. I try to plant the seeds in anyone I talk to where having babies comes up. You know, just casually mention in my whole homebirth spiel how the hospital here tried to circ Jake 3 times and isn't that awful? Can't believe people around here still do such a barbaric thing, where I had ds1, no one does that! (which, btw, is very true. Less than 10% circ rate in State College, PA, the year he was born!)

I would give them Mothering articles, not links.
Truly joyful.
#25 of 77 Old 04-04-2006, 01:47 AM

Traci(28) one intact DS 20 months tomorrow(Brendan)

What state/province are you from? Montana did live in california for 5 yrs that's where my son was born.

Briefly, what drew you to this issue? My ex was intact the first intact male I had ever seen I never really hear of talk of that or full discussion of circumcision. The most talk I ever seen on circ as a child was from Cheers and Seinfeld.
I remember weirding out after the seinfeld episode but I was not knowing that there was a choice until I had my son.

Then I was pro-choice then more I researched it oh how wrong and how uneducated doctors were just cuz they were cut happy got me like really against it when I learned there is 'real no reason' to remove a healthy part even if it has a issue .

Particular interests? Special talents? Computers, Sign language , being a mom, cross stitching

What kinds of things are you doing to discourage/end RIC? I mostly pass around pamplets to show off to nurses who come up from Better Babies and then next month I am going to figuring out a way that will be obvious to show of to say No "real" medical reason to circ or try to seem to get the look-alikes out there or maybe get a jersey stating Mom against Circ and with my son say I'm against circ also . I also write all these little notes in free parent or even tidbits saying Get Informed Say No To Circ

I would give them no links just pamplets from no-circ because they will be more likely to have time to read that and less chance at the computer . But if it was a computer nut like me I would definetly suggest this forum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#26 of 77 Old 04-04-2006, 05:08 PM

Hi Everyone! I'm new here - over from another enlightened board. Great to have found you guys.

Cristina (38), DH(40), DS1 (5), DS2 (3), DD (11 months). Everyone intact.

I'm Venezuelan but live in Germany (DH's country)

For me intactness has always been a given. Everyone in my family and extended family is. Never gave it much thought. It was just normal.
Then my best friend and I were expecting DS2 at the same time. I knew she had circd DS1 (we bathed them together once, and I felt such pity for her son) so I embarked on an unsuccessful attempt to change her mind for DS2. It was very sad and frustrating.

The more I learned the more it seemed obvious that this is a barbaric practice that needs to be stopped and eventually will be. We must make sure it is.

It's interesting to see this whole topic from a European/South American perspective: it's simply a non issue. All friends of my kids are intact (except two Muslim boys), every pediatrician knows not to mess with it, grandparents and inlaws don't come in to explain why we should mutilate our newborns... As I said: non issue. And when you tell people that it's done pretty much as a matter of routine in USA they grimace. It's quite scandalous and incomprehensible.

Interests? You mean moms can actually have interests other than their kids' interests? Just kidding: opera and classical music in general, horses, skiing, in-line skating, mathematics, languages.

Around me there is no one I need to discourage, so I just try to post in boards that deal with this issue and give the intact-as-a-given perspective. And of course, every time a friend in USA is having a boy I bombard her with info.

http://www.udonet.com/circumcision/vincent/index.html
#27 of 77 Old 04-04-2006, 09:42 PM

Amy, DH, and Aidan (intact)

Upstate NY

When pregnant with Aidan, who is now 4, we knew we needed to make a decision on circ one way or the other and after doing a lot of research came to realize there was NO WAY we were going to put our day old child through surgery for no reason. Honestly, I am NOT a big fan of the AAP overall but the fact that even *they* don't support circ was a big factor in helping us make our decision. We have never regretted it!

Particular interests? Special talents
Well my family is my biggest priority, I am a doula and LOVE what I do, I like to collect antique bottles and take care of all my special furballs

I work with pregnant/postpartum families all the time and have just begun including the anticirc brochure from coloradonocirc, I also always ask if they are having a boy at the prenatal, if they say YES, I always ask if they have made a decision about circ. If they are undecided I always ask them to read the brochure, go over the fact that the AAP doesn't recommend it, etc. and then tell about my wonderful intact son! IT is so incredibly hard for me to see little babies come home from the hospital with raw, circed penises I cry inside for them every time! I always do a victory dance though when I have intact clients.

Why mothering.com of course

Doula, Wife and mom to A (11/23/01) and O (5/7/09)
#28 of 77 Old 04-04-2006, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsoap
Truly joyful.
wow. thanks! I just realized a mistake in my post. I said Bradley w/ ds2, but I meant ds1. lol
#29 of 77 Old 04-04-2006, 10:10 PM

Robin, mama to one DS who is intact, and wife to a circ'ed DH

Mississippi

When I was reading pregnancy and childcare books, a friend lent me one from Penelope Leach (who is British, I think?) which said that circ was unnecessary and not practiced in most of the world. I started talking to DH about it (who was unconvinced at first), but as I dug deeper, I found out the truth and was adamant it would not be done to DS. DH agreed too, and the more I learned the more sickened I became by the whole practice and lost that "personal choice" kind of attitude.

I am going to school to be a CNM.

Anytime I find out a friend is having a boy, I immediately jump on the circ issue. I don't bite my tongue at all, and just get right down to it. I also participate in online arenas to educate about circ and hopefully sway expectant moms.

the first thing I give is the Mothering Case against Circumcisions article. If that's not enough, I follow up with more specific issues.
#30 of 77 Old 04-05-2006, 10:43 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laura mom to Noah-intact

TN, but ds born in NC

It wasn't even a conscious decision to leave him intact. The majority of babies I knew were intact. The more I have read after my ds was born the more upset about it I become. Goes hand in hand with my disgust of the medical community.

Reading, when I have time. ( i am not that boring, just really busy)

Letter writing, trying to get a nocirc center off the ground in tn

right here

Mama to ds 6/00 and dd 1/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page