I'm impressed by Planned parenthood - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-20-2006, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi.
Hello, welcome to America. NO ONE'S stance against male circumcision is as strong as their stance against female circumcison with the exception of NOCIRC and the likes.
Isn't that sad?

I have to remember that freedom is for nearly everything, including stupidity and ignorance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2006, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsishomemade
I look forward to the day that EVERYONE can get exceptional health care, regardless of their income.
Campaign for a national health sevice, such as we are very fortunate to have in England. Everyone, regardless of income, has access to the best medical care - free at the point of source.

Christopher

Education is the discovery of our own ignorance. Will Durant

"You give a little love and it all comes back to you....

You know you gonna be remembered for the things you say and do."

Bugsy Malone

Old 05-20-2006, 08:39 PM

I am not sure what I think of that. My sister studied at Cambridge last year and she had to go to the hospital and was horrified at the filthy conditions of the hospital. I have heard this from others as well. Obviously that is heresay, but it is from individuals that I trust very much.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:02 PM

I got care in the national health system while living in Ireland, and it was fine -- and cheap. British health outcomes are a damn sight better than ours, regardless of the creature comforts of the NHS.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
Old 05-20-2006, 09:06 PM

Our National Health Service is in something of a state at the moment but that is mostly due to being left in the hands of people who (ideologically speaking) would prefer it never to have existed. If you want a handy comparison then imagine a CIRCList member being asked to run NOHARMM for a few years. It is almost that bad.

But it did wipe out British RIC in one smooth sweep: we were not prepared to utilise tax payer's money to fund an operation of no medical benefit and thus it was not provided and the rates nose dived into non-existance.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama
I am not sure what I think of that. My sister studied at Cambridge last year and she had to go to the hospital and was horrified at the filthy conditions of the hospital. I have heard this from others as well. Obviously that is heresay, but it is from individuals that I trust very much.
I rather doubt that the conditions were 'filthy'; it would simply not be tolerated. But there will always be a few hospitals which fail to meet the stringent standards laid down, usually because of their age and a lack of local government funding for rebuilding. When this occurs, it is met with public and press outcry.

In the East Kent area where I live I can think of two such hospitals, both established in the 18th century. One has been been renovated and partially rebuilt to a standard I'm sure your sister would approve of; the other was closed down and demolished. In the same area we also have three hospitals built to state-of-the-art standards.

The NHS is not perfect, what massive national institution is? Nevertheless it provides an exceptional service for which we bless our good fortune.

Christopher

Education is the discovery of our own ignorance. Will Durant

"You give a little love and it all comes back to you....

You know you gonna be remembered for the things you say and do."

Bugsy Malone

Old 05-21-2006, 01:02 AM
Fi.

Quote:
Everyone, regardless of income, has access to the best medical care
Really? I was treated very poorly in an English hospital on two seperate occations. In fact, I couldn't even get the problem sorted out until I was back in America and I was miserable for almost the rest of my vacation.

Long distance Mom to boarding school superstars E (9) and Layne (6).
Old 05-21-2006, 01:05 AM

I don't really see anything special about their statement....

Cultural circ IS what we do in US-- and the statemetn, from what I can see, says that cultural circ is okay.

Am I missing something?

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
Old 05-21-2006, 01:05 AM

Aren't you an American, though? Just like the American health care system isn't really set up for others to access, why would the British?

Old 05-21-2006, 01:21 AM
Fi.

It's set up for anyone to use - it's whether or not you'll owe them money that's the issue. Same as the American one. The doctors just didn't know what they were doing, plain and simple. They ordered an unnecessary, incredibly painful test when I've had the condition my entire life and could tell them exactly what was wrong. What they were testing for wasn't even closely related to the symptoms I had and no appropriate tests were run (or treatment given) for what I DID have.

I didn't realise that not being a citizen (despite being the mother of one) meant you got poor health care. People who don't live here can still get decent health care, they just have to pay an insane amount of money for it - or get traveler's insurance, whereas there I HAD insurance and it didn't even matter.

Old 05-21-2006, 01:23 AM

The US health care system is incredibly twisted and difficult to access in many cases.

Old 05-21-2006, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijae
:Puke There's a reason it's not named here. A good one. I for one find it absolutely sick that anyone would support an organization that does that. That's why it's not mentioned here - it is so offensive to so many. I suppose when they say "he who must not be named" in harry potter they aren't really mentioning voldemort? Come on, you're all having the discussion whether you avoid the word or not and it should get pulled.

Laura

Well we discuss whether to boycott a breast pump maker that also makes the plastibell. Or whether to boycott a company that does foreskin testing. I was thinking back to what I said yesterday, that I only have a problem with one thing that Planned Parenthood does and maybe I was wrong to say that, and I am offended by the whole company.

And whoever said babies have the right to be born to a "healthy" woman does that make me a bad momma if I don't have every gynecological test or pregnancy related test that the doctor wants to give me? I think that I, not PP or any other doctor, know what's healthy and safe for my child and it is more than often the natural way not some medical test.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi.
And? I'm not against teens and adults deciding they want a vaccine against an STD before becoming sexually active.

I don't get it, all of the world health orgs are FOR vaccines but yet we still support them when they release anti-circ info. Why is this different?
Ok I will agree with this completely. I won't choose to get the vax, but believe other's should have the right to.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi.
Really? I was treated very poorly in an English hospital on two seperate occations. In fact, I couldn't even get the problem sorted out until I was back in America and I was miserable for almost the rest of my vacation.
I too was in a public hospital overseas and felt like I was back in the 1950's or something.

HOW-EVER...

If I had been a citizen, not a dollar to my name, I still could have gone in and got on a waiting list for treatment, while in the US healthcare isn't considered a right.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:32 AM

My experience has been the opposite - I wouldn't ever go near an American hospital. Ever. I much prefer the NHS system. I've never received anything but the best care possible, and cleanest conditions imaginable.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:38 AM

It wasn't really unclean but it seemed primitive, older facilities, long wait times. I reallky haven't been in enough hospital's to tell you if it's better or worse than an American hospital, i'm just saying that no sysem is perfect.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmama
The US health care system is incredibly twisted and difficult to access in many cases.
Exactly. Yes, they might have pretty , new hospitals with TVs in private rooms, but the care is the same you receive in any country with a universal health care system, except you don't go to your grave with medical bills or get a health insurance co. rich in the meantime.

Ilaria mamma to Owen, Caroline & Patrick .... loving life as expats in Asia intactlact.gifnovaxnocirc.gifuc.jpgnamaste.gif
Old 05-21-2006, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minky
It wasn't really unclean but it seemed primitive, older facilities, long wait times. I reallky haven't been in enough hospital's to tell you if it's better or worse than an American hospital, i'm just saying that no sysem is perfect.
You have to understand that these things are done on a local basis, that area may simply have had some incompetant local politicians for a while and as a consequence was slightly regressive.

That example was poor and I agree there are very bad parts to it but overall it is an immensely superior system to America's, permitting for swift treatment of minor problems before they metamorphosise into major ones. All at no cost at point of entry or via brutal insurance rates that punish those in most need.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyMama
for PP. They counsel a lot of young people ... people who dont really know what the AAP says about anything.
:
Many parents think that circ is "that thing you do to baby boys" and don't even know enough to question it. Here's an organization that works with many people before they become parents, and they're outright saying that circ has no medical benefits.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 05-21-2006, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla
:
Many parents think that circ is "that thing you do to baby boys" and don't even know enough to question it. Here's an organization that works with many people before they become parents, and they're outright saying that circ has no medical benefits.
Here is what I am wondering, I asked above if the link I gave was to the "statement" we are discussing. It was a Q&A on their website, then I posted a local PP website with a much worse statement, has Natl. PP made some real stand other than a Q&A on their website, is this something that has come down through and is actually being said in PPs across the country? Do they have hand outs that they give to patients expecting a baby boy? I'd really like to know more about this "statement".

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
Old 05-21-2006, 10:41 AM
Fi.

Quote:
Do they have hand outs that they give to patients expecting a baby boy? I'd really like to know more about this "statement".
Possibly if it's requested. PP generally only gives out what you ask for. And most don't do prenatal care - those who do generally only do it up to 28 weeks. However I do remember that we did refer women to the website to read more about pregnancy issues and options *shrug*

Old 05-21-2006, 11:04 AM

Hmm... Well do you know what sort of advice they would give on this issue if asked?
Old 05-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Fi.

Quote:
Hmm... Well do you know what sort of advice they would give on this issue if asked?
Honestly they'd probably say it's your decision but there's no medical benefit and it's only done for cosmetics/cultural reasons. I'm sure there are crappy clinicians out there who promote it - but in general it seems to be more progressive clinicians working there.

Old 05-21-2006, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi.
Honestly they'd probably say it's your decision but there's no medical benefit and it's only done for cosmetics/cultural reasons. I'm sure there are crappy clinicians out there who promote it - but in general it seems to be more progressive clinicians working there.
Seems sound to me.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:21 AM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revamp
Good question. I guess we could all walk into our local PP's and ask them as an experiment.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 05-21-2006, 11:54 AM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
So, I finally got around to looking at the website myself, and here's the full Q &A:

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/pp2...rcumcision.xml

A lot more wishy-washy then the OP led me to believe. "Penises with foreskins require a little extra care" "Some boys do need to be circumcised later," UGH. Really nothing to be proud of there, I'm sorry to say.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 05-21-2006, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A
So, I finally got around to looking at the website myself, and here's the full Q &A:

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/pp2...rcumcision.xml

A lot more wishy-washy then the OP led me to believe. "Penises with foreskins require a little extra care" "Some boys do need to be circumcised later," UGH. Really nothing to be proud of there, I'm sorry to say.
I kept wondering what everyone else here was reading. I admit my distrust of PP made me go seek out exactly what the OP was talking about, and I was not impressed, but I think other's blind trust of PP made them jump to some conclusion that this was great.

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
Old 05-21-2006, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A
Good question. I guess we could all walk into our local PP's and ask them as an experiment.
I can not, what with not living in America.

Those who do certainly should though! Please do so and give us the response given, perhaps even just phone them up to ask.

As for their actual Q&A stance, well, ugh, not what I had hoped for but this:

"Today, routine circumcision is considered elective surgery without medical benefits."

was very good. Although what do they mean about intact penises requiring more care? Last time I checked they do not need to be wrapped up in bloody gauze or have vaseline applied to them to stop the faeces of their diapers giving them penile infections...
Old 05-21-2006, 12:23 PM

Oh well I actually think their Q&A about circ is quite lacking and still spreading myths about circ. :

Another bad quote from the Q&A on PP:
Quote:
and he must be taught to pull back and wash under the foreskin. Until he can do this for himself, you can gently pull back the foreskin for him and wash under it during bathing.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Old 05-21-2006, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheacoby
Oh well I actually think their Q&A about circ is quite lacking and still spreading myths about circ. :

Another bad quote from the Q&A on PP:
Well it did help combat that retraction myth and say this: "Although rare, complications include excessive bleeding, infection, scarring, and damage to the penis."

And its comment about some requiring circumcisions later on in life was, techically, correct. If its wording had been something more along the lines of "A tiny, minute and virtually negligible number might need it in later life" then I would be happier.

Try emailing them, I already have and a concentrated effort might have some effect.

Oh and please give them a call and pretend to ask for advice on the issue!

User Tag List