Just thinking - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-23-2006, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you know I was thinking, if parents had to witness the doctor/ or whoever doing the circ, on their baby I wonder if they would still go through with it. Anyone else ever thought that?
Joli
#2 of 6 Old 05-23-2006, 10:08 PM

I had a "friend" that her husband watched all three of their sons being circed and would still do it.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#3 of 6 Old 05-24-2006, 11:07 AM

Depends how many lies they swallowed beforehand...

Foreskin is useless, only cries from the restraints, not crying = not actually in a pain-coma...

Depends.
#4 of 6 Old 05-24-2006, 01:40 PM

I've seen a lot of stories of parents who were horrified by the actual circ - the problem is, once it's started, it's too late to stop in the middle. So it would be great if they had to watch a video ahead of time instead.

There was a study done in Hawaii at a military hospital that showed parents a video about circ and the rates dropped dramatically. Then of course once they stopped showing the video the rates went back up again.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#5 of 6 Old 05-24-2006, 01:43 PM

I think all expectant or new parents should have to see a video of the procedure before they are allowed to sign the consent forms. I do know a father who watched his first son's circ and still wanted it done to his second son. The mother prevailed that second time and he is intact.

What burns my cork is when neither parent goes with the baby for the circ. I mean, if it's too disturbing to watch then maybe it's too disturbing to the baby.
#6 of 6 Old 05-24-2006, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimkabob5
What burns my cork is when neither parent goes with the baby for the circ. I mean, if it's too disturbing to watch then maybe it's too disturbing to the baby.
The reasoning goes "Well it is messy but so is open-heart surgery and we still have that done" or something along those lines.

The difference being of course that there is actually a reason for the examples they give whereas circumcision is performed just because the parents want it to be.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page