Last Comic Standing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 06-07-2006, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugh.

I happened to pause on this show tonight and there was a comic (Josh Wolf, I think is his name) whose 'joke' went something like this:

"I met a woman who said she wouldn't circumcise her baby because she didn't want to cause him any pain.

Lady, I got news for you, the pain felt as a baby is NOTHING compared to the pain he's gonna feel when he's 16 years old and his girlfriend is taking off his pants for the first and sees that thing!

(mimicing girlfriend)

Oh my god, ewwww, what is that thing?"

And of course, huge laughs and applause.

http://www.nbc.com/Last_Comic_Standing/

Hmmm, there's a message board......
#2 of 50 Old 06-07-2006, 02:03 AM

I watched that as well and was very mad!!! Was hoping he wouldn't be picked to live in the house, and he wasn't.....stupid people who have no knowledge!!!

He is also a father of 3!!!
#3 of 50 Old 06-07-2006, 02:04 AM

Completely traumatize your newborn merely to appease a completely shallow teenage girl.
#4 of 50 Old 06-07-2006, 08:53 AM

Oh I saw that too. Not everybody in the audience was laughing though. I saw one woman who looked :. I was sooooo glad he didn't make it into the house. At the end after they had picked the 5 people he said he was going quit being a comedian and find something else to do.
#5 of 50 Old 06-07-2006, 09:55 AM

He is obviously trying to make himself feel better for having a mutilated penis by attempting to get others to laugh at a normal, natural penis. What an idiot. :

Blessed mama of four
::
#6 of 50 Old 06-07-2006, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancymom
He is obviously trying to make himself feel better for having a mutilated penis by attempting to get others to laugh at a normal, natural penis. What an idiot. :
Yep. I saw this, too, and sat there in silence. I think I could hear DH let out an audible sigh of relief that I didn't go on a mile long rant.
#7 of 50 Old 06-07-2006, 10:12 AM

Gosh you guys are fast! i saw it too and both my mom and dh looked at me to see if i was going to breath fire or not! i am so glad he did not make it to the next round.

Getting back into the groove of being groovy!
#8 of 50 Old 06-07-2006, 10:28 AM

Glad I decided not to watch it cause that would've been the last episode I watched. Ugh.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#9 of 50 Old 06-07-2006, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Circ
Completely traumatize your newborn merely to appease a completely shallow teenage girl.
Ditto.
#10 of 50 Old 06-07-2006, 02:46 PM

Well, if that scenario is the case, then i guess i should have gotten my 3 yo dd breast implants as a newborn. Small boobs run in my family and i wouldn't want a future boyfriend to say, "Ewwwww, those are soooo small"

Oh wait, i am hoping to teach both my daughter and my son's enough self respect to know that they are beautiful and whole and just the way God made them and anyone that would belittle them or tell them otherwise isn't worth being part of there life.

What a jacka$$. I am glad i don't watch tv

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#11 of 50 Old 06-07-2006, 02:53 PM

You think Kathy Griffin is anti-circ? She didn't look like she thought it was funny...
#12 of 50 Old 06-07-2006, 03:29 PM

I also thought Kathy Griffin didn't think it was funny.

Keep in mind we didn't circ our son (and DH *is* circ'ed, but decided I was right when I sent him a huge list of links so he could research it himself and realized that it is not necessary!). So I saw that spot and said "Very likely it's the first time she'll have seen a penis and probably won't be able to tell the difference", and DH said "not likely!!!" I just let it go...

My girls have only seen their brother naked, so they'll think it's the gold standard. The rates are dropping so much (particularly in Washington state) that I really think it's going to be a non-issue in another 15 years!
#13 of 50 Old 06-07-2006, 03:49 PM

#14 of 50 Old 06-08-2006, 05:58 AM

Quote:
To me that guy on last comic standing is just the typical American circumcised male trying to make himself feel good by degrading others.
Ditto.

Also, wouldn't this future girlfriend be getting her glance at an erect penis? Which looks a lot like a circ'd penis? Except not pointing to the sky and covered in hair?
#15 of 50 Old 06-08-2006, 06:56 AM

It was soooo not funny - and the room was dead silent at my house. What an ignorant person he is - I'm glad he didn't get picked!
#16 of 50 Old 06-08-2006, 08:35 AM

i knew this would be here! dh & i were both so turned off by that!
#17 of 50 Old 06-08-2006, 09:17 AM

Beyond being ignorant, the joke was just badly delivered, IMO. The "mother" who didn't want her son to "feel pain" was portrayed as stupid and with a silly voice and the girlfriend was portrayed with the same voice. Comedy is about the unexpected and contrast and that joke had neither. Most of the comics who made it through were poking fun at themselves a little. That guy was just talking about how stupid women are. It's like grade school bully humor.

FWIW, I also thought the jokes about the Pope were poor...and not just because I'm Catholic! Same reason.
#18 of 50 Old 06-08-2006, 10:34 AM

We saw it too and DH and I looked at each other and rolled our eyes.

I then started yelling at the TV!

"SHE"S NOT EVEN GOING TO KNOW THAT HE'S UNCIRCUMCISED BECAUSE HIS PENIS WILL BE ERECT!!!"

DH just laughed... said "it's not real Susan..breathe..."
#19 of 50 Old 06-08-2006, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Except not pointing to the sky and covered in hair?
Pardon my ignorance-but is pointing upwards a result of circumcsion?

Blessed mama of four
::
#20 of 50 Old 06-08-2006, 11:57 AM

A lot of times, yes. It's because the body doesn't have enough skin to let the penis become erect without pulling the skin so taute (sp?) that it has to point upwards.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#21 of 50 Old 06-08-2006, 01:05 PM

Quote:
You think Kathy Griffin is anti-circ? She didn't look like she thought it was funny...
I suspect she might be because I know for a fact she is wildly outspoken against FGM. Then again, she is so up front about anything that ticks her off and I can't recall hearing her mention RIC, so maybe I'm wrong.

"I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult." â E.B. White
#22 of 50 Old 06-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by christifav
Ditto.

Also, wouldn't this future girlfriend be getting her glance at an erect penis? Which looks a lot like a circ'd penis? Except not pointing to the sky and covered in hair?
Ok, NO NOT ALL INTACT PENISES LOOK CIRCUMCISED WHEN ERECT. Some still have the foreskin covering (and yes still retractable) My DH's glans doesn't show when he's erect and he's fully retractable.

I really wish people would stop spreading this rumor.

heck NONE Of the intact guys I've been with have the glans showing when they are erect, but were still retractile.

: OY!
#23 of 50 Old 06-08-2006, 01:29 PM

I would agree that the information out there implies that the glans becomes exposed when aroused- and a intact penis looks (almost) like a circed one (when aroused).

Even if it is not an absolute truth, I would have thought that it was the case in the majority? Yes? No??

THis can be an 'a-ha' moment for some people.... I remember discussions of nudity and intactness.... essentially that nude statues etc of intact men were not considered vulgar/etc becuase the glans was covered, penis not erect, etc. Also, that parents used to intactness had a hard time with circumcision because its intent seems to showcase the penis in a sexual state.

Those arguements had a lot of impact to me when I was learning about the issue.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#24 of 50 Old 06-08-2006, 01:38 PM

The idea that all men's foreskins retract automatically when they are erect is everywhere, including in print in places written by doctors. My experience says it just isnt' true, In fact, it is the exception that a man's foreskin will retract completely by itself when he has a erection. Many men will remain almost or fully covered; some will partially retract, but only a decided minority retract fully unless the men I've been in contact with are some sort of aberration from the norm, and I don't think they are.
#25 of 50 Old 06-08-2006, 01:40 PM

#26 of 50 Old 06-08-2006, 02:19 PM

i am so glad to see this thead- dh is majorly anti-circ, but he said that it was just a joke and to relax. i ppointed out to him that the commedian just called his sons' penises tacos, he still said I needed to relax.
So glad he did not get into the house!!!
Quote:
FWIW, I also thought the jokes about the Pope were poor...and not just because I'm Catholic! Same reason
BTW- I love me some Catholic jokes, but the guy with the Pope joked really stunk.

Punk, hippy, mama to 4 amazing kiddos, Boy#1 (18), TheGirl (13), Boy#2 (11- PBD) and Boy#3 (6)
#27 of 50 Old 06-08-2006, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the stats... that is helpful. It is just a minor point, but I'd rather say something correctly than give someone something to argue over.

Would it appear to be true that artistic and cultural depictions of penises use an intact penis to depict non sexual scenes and use the exposed glans when a sexual nature is intended?

Jessica

Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#28 of 50 Old 06-08-2006, 03:00 PM

Yeah, I think Kathy & her 'bucket of clits' might not find this so amusing. I adore her; I hope if she hasn't made the connection yet she is thinking now...

(I knew you'd get in here, Pandora! OK, but two for two my experiences were uncovered glans, so cut us some slack in our ignorance )
#29 of 50 Old 06-08-2006, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTail
, so cut us some slack in our ignorance )
Sorry, no 'cutting' on this board allowed!!! :

Jessica

#30 of 50 Old 06-08-2006, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara vanÆsir
EDIT: I'm not sure what I think of this web-site as a whole, I usually avoid posting links to non-reputable sorces to back-up my statement. I wish I could find a link to that scientific study, but since the numbers on this website seem to have the same idea as the numbers from the official study, I'll post the link anyway.
This ex-pistol nodds in agreement with those numbers.
Hmmm....I looked at that website. Doesn't seem credible to me really. The "research" that was done was supposedly surveys they had done on their own. Sounds more like someone's opinions and ramblings. Not scientific at all...which has me wondering WHAT the actual purpose of the web owner was.

In his "letter to parents" it is VERY obviosly biased towards circ AND at the end he makes the statement that the choice is to "circumcise for health benefits or leave it alone.":

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page