Did MDC convert you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 73 Old 06-17-2006, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how many of you came on here with the plans of circumcising your son and changed your mind? i been thinking about that lately. if i had never came on here (for breastfeeding questions) ds would be circumcised!:

Getting back into the groove of being groovy!
#2 of 73 Old 06-17-2006, 03:15 PM

I didn't expressly intend to have him circumcised. I knew I didn't really want it done. He was supposed to be born at home, so it would not have been done. However he ended up being born in the hospital, and they were fairly pro circ. I think that, had I not gained the knowledge I did here, that I probably would have relented with the nurses telling me how much healthier it was and all that.
#3 of 73 Old 06-17-2006, 03:54 PM

Nope, been anti for some time now. Never thought much about advocating to others beyond "well, I think it's pointless and you shouldn't do it". Never knew quite so many details before I started reading here.
#4 of 73 Old 06-17-2006, 03:58 PM

Yup, way back in 2002. I came to MDC to learn about natural birth and soon got drawn into all the other forums. Actually, on circ, I was pretty apathetic and dh was pro-circ; this forum helped us both get our heads screwed on straight
#5 of 73 Old 06-17-2006, 04:44 PM

No ,I found MDC after I had my son. I decided when I was preg with my first from reading the short section on circ ,in a mainstream pregnancy book no less, that I would not circ if I had a boy (my first ended up being a girl).
However I was so happy when I found this forum here at MDC, it was so wonderful to know other people feel the same way as I do about circ!!!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#6 of 73 Old 06-17-2006, 04:47 PM

Nope, I had every intention of not circing... but this forum did help me convince DH.

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#7 of 73 Old 06-17-2006, 04:49 PM

Well, my DH is intact (he's from Europe) and we had discussed circumcision briefly before we found out DD was a girl and it was really a non-issue, we had no reason to even consider circumcizing a possible DS. Actually, I think we discussed this before we even TTC, and again, I didn't see any reason to circ and DH did not understand why Americans circ their boys (besides religious reasons), so we both agreed that there was nothing to discuss as far as our future children (although we did have some interesting discussions about how circ is viewed in Europe vs. in the U.S.).

However, I didn't know very much about circ until I came to MDC and I had no idea there was such a thing as "intactivism". I have definitely learned a lot!!
#8 of 73 Old 06-17-2006, 05:35 PM

When I came to MDC I had already made my decision not to circ a son if I had one, but was still in the process of learning about theh whole thing. The main thing that struck me about MDC and I guess helped solidify my decision was the fact that this isn't a debate board (like the boards on other websites), it was an only pro-intact (anti circ) board. I thought to myself "Wow, there's an entire group of people that think it's not ok under any circumstances to do this, not just a few people here and there but an entire group of them, and they think it should be illegal, etc etc". Something about that made me look at things from another perspective. I already thought RIC was horrible, etc, but the fact that anti-RIC might be an organized "movement" was new to me. In addition to that, I thought that some people were possibly overdoing it a bit on the whole mutilation, abuse, fgm aspect of things, but I could see where they were coming from and understood that activists might look at things from a more...."intense" point of view than just a regular ole' person like yours truly.

Course, now I'm one of those "intense" people .
#9 of 73 Old 06-17-2006, 05:36 PM

I first questioned it when I saw the pain my 1 yr old nephew was going through with his circed penis, about a year ago. I did a little research, mainly on a mainstream board, and came to the conclusion that I would do it "safely" with the best clamp, a known doctor that was reccommened, and with pain meds. Then I came here to research vaccines and saw this forum so I started browsing. It was not long before I understood the truth and how horrible it is. I also used the info here to convince my dh, my sister and my sil. Yay MDC!

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

#10 of 73 Old 06-17-2006, 05:37 PM

No, I had been a regular on MDC before having my son, but it wasn't this board specifically that made up my mind. I knew this board existed, but like with everything I took it with a grain of salt - I wanted to see both sides and I wanted to start by just learning more about circ in general before getting into reading specific topics and/or debate. I typed 'circumcision' into google and I believe cirp.org came up - after reading the information on that site that I was convinced - and of course everything I've read here since has only served to reinforce that decision!

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#11 of 73 Old 06-17-2006, 05:46 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
No, I left my son intact before I found this board. But I still love this board!

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#12 of 73 Old 06-17-2006, 06:09 PM

You know, I'm embarrassed to say that I don't remember when the light dawned, before or after joining Mothering. It can't have been too long before I joined MDC (while I was pregnant with ds), because I grew up knowing that circ is just what you do, it's cleaner, it's NOTHING like FGM,

So at some point I got a clue, and I think MDC had a lot to do with it! But can't swear on a stack of Bibles. (Not that that would mean a lot since I'm an atheist. )

MDC is definitely my haven of sanity!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#13 of 73 Old 06-17-2006, 06:16 PM

For me, I was preggo with my first and my good friend/doula and I were talking sex and she said something which stayed in my mind. She had been with a couple of intact men and she said without a doubt.."OMG, they are just super sexual. So easy to please and they really enjoy themselves so much more than the circ'd men."

That planted a seed...then I overheard my MW refer to the "Doctors re-examine circumcision book" and she told me that she fought tooth and nail with her Jewish DH about circ. She said "over my dead body" and her son is intact . Anyhow, I borrowed the circ book out of their lending library.

I just happened to find this forum a year ago or so, and I am SUPER happy that I did. I know so much more because of this forum!

HUGS

Christy

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#14 of 73 Old 06-17-2006, 06:21 PM

I was questioning circ during my son's pregnancy when I was directed here by a fellow mainstream board member. MDC is what totally made up my mind to keep DS intact

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#15 of 73 Old 06-17-2006, 07:30 PM

Yes and no. I didn't want to have ds1 circumcised but I just was not confident enough in my decision and allowed myself to be bullied. But after coming here it reaffirmed my original feelings that circumcision was wrong and this forum gave me the confidence I needed to leave ds2 intact. Now I am a total intactivist. I just wish I had found this place sooner.

Blessed mama of four
::
#16 of 73 Old 06-17-2006, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Actually, Natural Family Living convinced me, but MDC cemented it!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#17 of 73 Old 06-17-2006, 08:05 PM

It really, really helped with the whole paradigm shift. I'd already decided something was "off" about circumcision-- just an uneasy gut feeling-- but I needed some information to help me articulate WHY I felt that way.

NOCIRC's info page pretty much sealed the deal for ME, (and I believe I found NOCIRC through someone's signature here!) but this forum offered some good talking points for DH.

Very grateful.
#18 of 73 Old 06-17-2006, 08:07 PM

yup. My son had been circ'd many eons ago. It did make me grow to regret that decision , apologize to ds for it , and educate any woman I know who is having a boy. It's the first thing I mention..."I hope you aren't going to circ" and then launch into various reasons.
#19 of 73 Old 06-17-2006, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yes, it definitely converted me! When I found out I was pregnant I asked DH (who is circ'd) if we would circ a son and he said "nah, probably not." I had never seen an intact penis and had heard all the myths about circ being cleaner and healthier so I started doing research to show why we SHOULD circ. : An hour on Google and I realized how wrong I was, a day or so reading through the old posts on this forum and my viewpoint had changed 180 degrees.

I originally believed all the myths that are commonly spouted about circumcision but, fortunately for my DS, I educated myself in time to keep him intact.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#20 of 73 Old 06-17-2006, 08:49 PM

Yep. It certainly isn't something I sat around thinking about, but all my experiences have been with circed men (including DH). I didn't really take much convincing, once presented with the basic facts. Which I then laid out for DH. The other day I was going off about circ (brought on by a thread that got moved to the religion forum), DH was like "You don't have to convince me circumcision is bad, I think it's as stupid as you do."

ps...i have a girl and a mystery babe on the way....so either way there will be no circumcision here!
#21 of 73 Old 06-17-2006, 08:51 PM

No. Circ is fairly rare here and I always thought it was unnecessary.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#22 of 73 Old 06-17-2006, 09:04 PM

No - I had already decided. My husband was on the fence all the way up to delivery (I hadn't signed the consent when I registered at the hospital ). Anyhow, after witnessing my 30+ hours of labor and c/s he said "enough cutting" and DS was not circ'ed. After reading more on this board I've told him how glad I am that we stuck with no circ. We are the only non-circ'd people we know and I feel so sad when I see those other little boys.
#23 of 73 Old 06-17-2006, 09:17 PM

My ds was born before I joined here. I was a member of a mainstream parenting site that had a circ debate board. Most of the info there convinced me to keep ds intact, that and the few circs I witnessed. Just watching the babies in pain, I knew it was wrong.
#24 of 73 Old 06-17-2006, 10:06 PM

I never thought about not circumcising until I met my husband. He is VERY ANTI-Circumsion and it was such a big deal to him that I did my research and found out why. I honestly don't understand how people can still do it for no medical reason this day in age...why would anyone want to put their child through an unnessary procedure is beyond me.
#25 of 73 Old 06-17-2006, 10:10 PM

nope, we are from Chile where circumcision is unheard of. Our dd was born in Chile, 5 years ago and if she would have been a boy (we actually thought she was a boy until almost the very end) she would have been intact simply because its not done, it's not offered, not even thought of for newborn boys (or adult men for that matter).

Also, dh is intact so, we're a circ-free family
#26 of 73 Old 06-17-2006, 10:13 PM
Banned

Nope. I already knew I wasn't going to do it. I was looking for anti-circ resources to convince DH and I found MDC. I don't think I convinced him by the time I had DS, but it didn't matter. It's not like I was actually going to let him talk me into it anyways. He's convinced now. I don't think he can actually stand the thought of hurting our son now.
#27 of 73 Old 06-17-2006, 10:44 PM

I had always been leery of circ. I just didn't see how something like that could be a good thing. I mean cutting on someones privates I told dh when we were pg the first time that I didn't want to circ if it was a boy. He was not happy about it but he let me decide. We had dd then I got pg again and we talked about it some more he still wasnt convinced but he let me make the decision. By the time ds came I was 100% sure I wouldn't circ. but I hadn't found MDC yet. I did have a few doubt because of all the scary stories I was hearing. When ds was a month old I asked a ? about intact care on the forum at FF and a woman sent me here. If I could I would track her down and give her a big ol' because she not only saved my son from being hurt by his ped. with forced retraction, she made it possible for me to put all my doubts and fears to rest.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#28 of 73 Old 06-17-2006, 11:00 PM

No, not MDC...I actually started out on the I.V. Debate Board, then found B.C., and eventually migrated here. I credit the I.V. Debate Board for my initial 'conversion'. I was never pro-circ, just totally ignorant. I often say that the only difference between me and most circing parents is that I was fortunate/lucky enough to happen across the truth about it long before I conceived.

Jen
#29 of 73 Old 06-17-2006, 11:40 PM

Yep...ds might've been circ'd if I hadn't stumbled upon this forum. Scary thought, but I was of the thinking, "It must be beneficial and not hurt the baby otherwise the doctors wouldn't do it, right?" Yikes. I'm so glad I found MDC in time! Now I'm a huge intactivist!
#30 of 73 Old 06-18-2006, 01:59 AM

Every time I look at my son, I thiank God for this board.

When we were TTC DS, we were pro circ, me especially, because of my own issues. A friend from elsewhere pointed me to this board. The previous board I'd posted at had a hard time advising me.

I was abused by a man who happened to be intact, and I wanted to circ my son for that reason, it was Frank at these boards who had the courage to say that my son deserved a whole penis despite what I was going through. I have no doubt that without Frank and MDC, I would have had DS circ'd.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page