Episiotomy FGM in disguise- a thought I had yesterday - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-08-2006, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by christifav
I won't get into the nasty details of my birthstory here, but I told the "OB on call" SEVERAL times that I didn't want to get cut. He kept insisting that he would probably have to. Finally my husband asserted that "WE do not want an episiotomy". The dr sighed and then dropped the topic after that.

Boy that PISSED ME OFF that he listened to my husband but not to me.

Apparently I am not capable of deciding for myself that I do not want MY genitals cut, but I would be the only one whose consent would be required for my son to get mutilated.

Does that make sense to ANYONE?????
OMG I guess no one (women or babies) has the right to make decisions about their own bodies. :

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2006, 04:31 AM

Quote:
And apparently America has a pretty mangled approach to the whole thing, it seems they do it far more often than neccessary but here in Britain that is not the case. They do it strictly when neccessary in most cases and personally I am pre-disposed to believing them.
As recently as 1980, the episiotomy rate in Britain was around 50%. The rates have fallen since then, and are currently 15-40%, depending on the hospital. Which of these rates are you considering "strictly necessary"?
Old 07-09-2006, 10:20 AM

I've never thought of this so I had to go check finnish statistics from www.stakes.fi.

I found this;

"...Unlike other delivery procedures, the use of episiotomy has decreased. In 2005, this procedure
was performed on 29 per cent of all parturients with a vaginal delivery, compared with 47 per
cent in 1995. From 2004 onwards, data have also been gathered on suturation of third or fourth
degree perineal laceration. In 2005, they accounted for 0.8 per cent of all vaginal deliveries
(excluding HUS hospitals, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology)....

(and as OT..just wondering if this is higher or lower than in USA? = "...Caesarean sections accounted for 16.1 per cent of all deliveries in 2005, compared with 15.8 per
cent in 1995. For primiparas the percentage was 19.8 per cent and for women with prior deliveries 13.4 per cent. Since 2004, data have been collected separately on urgent Caesarean sections and emergency Caesarean sections. Emergency Caesarean sections accounted for 6.6
per cent of all Caesarean sections, and 1.0. per cent of all deliveries (includes no data concerning HUS hospitals, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology)....)
Old 07-09-2006, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christifav
Apparently I am not capable of deciding for myself that I do not want MY genitals cut, but I would be the only one whose consent would be required for my son to get mutilated.

Does that make sense to ANYONE?????
Everything about the cutting of genitals is just insane. I don't get it, I really don't. Sometimes I feel like I am in The Twilight Zone.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxsiven
as OT...just wondering if this is higher or lower than in USA? = "...Caesarean sections accounted for 16.1 per cent of all deliveries in 2005, compared with 15.8 per
cent in 1995. For primiparas the percentage was 19.8 per cent and for women with prior deliveries 13.4 per cent. Since 2004, data have been collected separately on urgent Caesarean sections and emergency Caesarean sections. Emergency Caesarean sections accounted for 6.6
per cent of all Caesarean sections, and 1.0. per cent of all deliveries (includes no data concerning HUS hospitals, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology)....)
If I'm not mistaken the C-section rate here is around 30%- much higher in some hospitals, lower in others.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

Old 07-09-2006, 10:13 PM

So after reading this thread I'm wondering if male OBs perform more episiotomies than female OBs do?

During the birth of my first child, her heart rate was going down (the cord was around her neck) and the OB (male) suggested getting her out now rather than 10 min. from now. So, he did the episiotomy, and cut the cord while just her head was out. She pinked up and started crying as soon as she was out. So really she was fine. I on the other hand couldn't sit for a week, and had painful sex until around a year post partum. :

During the birth of my second child, the OB (female) said that it looked like my perineum was tight and that I might tear, and that it would be better to do an episiotomy. I reluctanly agreed. I was in a lot of pain, and just wanted him out. She turned to reach for the syringe to numb me up first and out came the baby's head. I did tear in a couple of spots and required a few stitches. The recovery was night and day. I didn't swell up nearly as bad. I could sit. I would much rather tear then have an episiotomy. I didn't have an episiotomy with my third baby either.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karry
So after reading this thread I'm wondering if male OBs perform more episiotomies than female OBs do?
I wonder that too now that you mention it...

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
Old 07-10-2006, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karry
So, he did the episiotomy, and cut the cord while just her head was out.
Sort of OT, but was there a reason he cut her cord so quick?

Jen
Old 07-10-2006, 02:25 PM

My SIL says she wishes she'd had a c/s because they did a huge episiotomy and when they sewed her back up her twin sister says they just snipped off a huge piece rather than try to stitch it together!
Old 07-10-2006, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx.mothernurture
Sort of OT, but was there a reason he cut her cord so quick?

Jen
It was around her neck and it was too tight to lift over her head. My second baby also had the cord around his neck, but it was loose enough and the doc just lifted the cord over his head. My dh got to cut his cord while he was on my tummy.

User Tag List