tongue clipping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 68 Old 07-26-2006, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
A&A

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Due to the circ issue, I am loathe to cut any sort of healthy tissue!

My son's ped dentist said that he is somewhat tongue-tied, and his tongue should be clipped, and that would help him talk better. (he's 4.) My son is in speech therapy, but the speech therapist has never mentioned that. I know that my dh had his tongue clipped as a child, so maybe it is genetic, but I really didn't think people "did that to kids" anymore.

And my son was a champion nurser....so he couldn't be too tongue-tied, right?

Anyone know anything specific about tongue clipping?

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#2 of 68 Old 07-26-2006, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oh yes! Just like you, i am so weary of doctors that want to cut-up kids. This sounds like really aggressive treatment. Perhaps he will outgrow it? I guess I would suggest more personal research on it and less invasive treatments in your search for answers. good luck.
#3 of 68 Old 07-26-2006, 03:57 PM

Oh yes, people do it! It's not a huge deal in an infant; unlike circ it really is just a snip. I did it on my newborn and I am SO GLAD- for nursing reasons, though, which is not where you are right now. I don't know how much more involved it would be in a 4-year-old. I would seriously research it before doing anything, including talk about it w/ the speech therapist.

I know there is a genetic component. It runs in DP's family too. His brother had to have his clipped for speech reasons (he wasn't breastfed so they didn't know until he was older that it was causing a problem.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#4 of 68 Old 07-26-2006, 03:57 PM

I don't know a whole lot about this, just FYI.

I have heard of kids being able to nurse without problems, but having speech difficulty with speech. I would ask the speech therapist about it before having that done.

Yes, people still do tongue clipping to facilitate nursing and talking. Keep researching and asking questions!

Casey
Mama to DS 2/22/06 and DS 3/27/09 :
#5 of 68 Old 07-26-2006, 03:59 PM

My friend got hers clipped when she was in her 20's.
#6 of 68 Old 07-26-2006, 04:03 PM

http://www.brianpalmerdds.com/frenum.htm I've referred to this website & presentation a lot in the breastfeeding forum... it has some graphic pictures so be warned if tongues w/ stitches would gross you out!

~*Kristi*~

#7 of 68 Old 07-26-2006, 04:12 PM

My sil was tongue tied at birth (very severely) and no one did or said anything about it. Her speech is terrible (even at 38) She had it clipped by the orthodontist when she was 14.

My ds was tongue tied (not tight frenulum, but the bottom of his tongue was attatched to the floor of his mouth) We nursed through six months of bloody nipples and finally found an ENT who was willing to do the surgery. He numbed his mouth and then clipped under his tongue. He nursed right away, and for the first time, with a painless latch for me. No stitches were necessary.
#8 of 68 Old 07-26-2006, 04:13 PM

We had a frenotomy done when ds #2 was 4 days old. he had lost well over 10% of his birthweight, my milk nipples were beyond sore and we coldn't figure out what was going on.
i knew something was wrong since i had nursed dd. my LC saw the attached frenulum and sent us straight to an ENT. one quick snip and he was nursing like a champ and a whole new baby!
#9 of 68 Old 07-26-2006, 04:14 PM

Personally I think that if being tounge tied is making bfing hard or it is messing with there ability to talk it needs to be done. From mom's who have had it done here they say that didnt hurt the baby and it was just a fasst snip. Now him being 4yo he would prolly need at least a shot of novican because the frenulum is much thicker now. I personally know a little girl who is severly tounge tied and she has so much trouble talking. been in speech for years with little improvement that I have seen. She is 7yo now. If it was my child I would have it done if it was interfering with nursing/speech.

My dd has speech issues and if I could fix them I would in a heart beat to protect her from the teasing I know will be coming her way. I wish I didnt have to worry about others making fun of her but I know for a fact that to be a bit different means you are wide open for ridicule.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#10 of 68 Old 07-26-2006, 04:24 PM

Yes, seriously, if it can help with speech, I would not hesitate to have it done. My DP's brother who was clipped, his son is 12 and it's hard to understand him in English OR Spanish, despite speech therapy! He has a huge lisp. I am going to ask him to show me his frenulum.

Get some other opinions, see if you can find a doctor or speech therapist who is very experienced with this to evaluate the frenulum and see just how it might be restricting the movement of the tongue (which is of course how we make all the different sounds in our speech.)

~*Kristi*~

#11 of 68 Old 07-26-2006, 04:36 PM

As a PP said, unlike circ, frenulotomy really IS just a clip. The Nursing Mother's Companion mentioned a study that found it didn't make any difference in speech, but that's all I know. I WOULD go for a second opinion before doing any cutting of any area, though.

(I came into this thread all prepared to defend clipping for tongue-tied as it relates to nursing - but really, for speech I have no idea/opinion.)
#12 of 68 Old 07-26-2006, 06:49 PM

I'm not sure how I feel about doing it for speech reasons, but certainly for nursing. Perhaps there are exercises that can help without any snippign needed?
#13 of 68 Old 07-27-2006, 12:04 AM

there is a HUGE difference between circing and clipping the tongue frenulum. Most importantly, you are not sutting off highly sensitized, functional skin, you are merely snipping a little bridge that has very few nerves to allow him to use his tongue more normally.

All 3 of mine were tongue-tied to different degrees at birth. It hurt to nurse ds1 the first week or so and his frenulum stretched on its own (the heart-shaped tongue went away fairly early.) Ds2 was EXTREMELY painful to nurse and his was clipped at 8 weeks after a long and desperate search to find a doc who was willing to do it (3 different docs told me he'd need to have it done when he was older for speech reasons, but no reason to do it now--give him a bottle if you're too much of a wuss to put up w the nursing pain. GRRR!!!!) ds3 is 10 mos and still has a heart shaped tongue. Never caused any nursing problems. Well, actually we did have trouble the first week or so. He has/had a bubble palate as well as a tight frenulum, but my midwife didn't feel clipping his frenulum would help.

I would clip his tongue in a heartbeat if someone told me it would help his speech problems (if he had any.) My sister and brother couldn't speak Spanish b/c they can't roll their R's. I know now it's b/c they're t-t'd. I was in speach therapy as a young child b/c I had difficulty w/ certain sounds. I think s's, sh's and something else. I remember my frenulum tearing, I think I fell w/ something in my mouth, can't remember. I wonder if that actually is what fixed my speech problems...???

I know someone who clipped her own frenulum as an adult b/c she couldn't roll her R's adn founf out she was tongue-tied. SHe said it didn't even really hurt. Less than getting your ears pierced anyway. Just a slight pinch and that was it. Not sore afterwards or anything.
#14 of 68 Old 07-27-2006, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lula's Mom
Yes, seriously, if it can help with speech, I would not hesitate to have it done. My DP's brother who was clipped, his son is 12 and it's hard to understand him in English OR Spanish, despite speech therapy! He has a huge lisp. I am going to ask him to show me his frenulum.
But would his speech be this bad if it had been snipped earlier, before his speech patterns were ingrained?
#15 of 68 Old 07-27-2006, 12:15 AM

I had my sons done...

I was lothe to do it, but I was desperate to breastfeed... and thought it might help (but unfortunately for us it was way too late and he would NOT take my breast for ANYTHING.)

Anyway, the nurse asked me if I wanted to leave... no way was I going to do that... so I stayed and watched. it wasnt THAT bad... they did kind of strap his hands down so he wouldnt hit her and cause her to cut wrong or whatever... the hardest part was getting him to keep his mouth open, and it was a quick tiny snip.
he was back in my arms and didnt seem to be in too much pain after.

I dont regret having it done, especially if it had to be done later in life for speech reasons anyway. I still regret not being able to breastfeed... but thats another story.
#16 of 68 Old 07-27-2006, 12:20 AM

My brother had his clipped at birth because his tounge wouldn't come off the bottom of his mouth. He even had trouble with a bottle.

I had mine also clipped it wasn't as severe.

Yes it can affect his speech so can many other things.....

One other reason to think about getting it clipped (I know you don't want to think about his but I know a couple this is an issue) kissing and oral sex. The husband couldn't do either until he had an accident and the oral surgeon did it to give himself more room to work.
#17 of 68 Old 07-27-2006, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter
A&A

I'm going to ask the speech therapist about it, thanks. The ped. dentist said that it's a hard area to numb in a 4 yo.

#18 of 68 Old 07-27-2006, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221
But would his speech be this bad if it had been snipped earlier, before his speech patterns were ingrained?
A lisp is usually caused by a tongue thrust. I had a heavy lisp as a kid, and speech therapy cleared it up for me. I do know adults that went through therapy, but never got the hang of talking with out a lisp. It's a hard thing to break.
#19 of 68 Old 07-27-2006, 02:07 AM

i never knew my DD's heart-shaped tongue was from a tongue-tie until she was 7 and the dentist offered to cut it witha laser! i let her decide because it hadn't caused any problems except for her latching with her teeth for 2.5 years.

I had DS checked at 6 weeks because he had not yet developed a consistent latch and sure enough that was the problem. Our naturopath laid him on the table, opened some sterile scissors and talked and cooed to hom while she put a gloved finger under each side of his tongue and quickly snipped it. He smiled at her! There was one or two drops of blood. We immediately had our first pain-free nursing session!

Anyone ever jammed a chip or something under their tongue? That hurts waaay more!

Mom to three 14 y.o. rock star grrl, 5 y.o. knight in spazzy armour and baby Juniper, born still @39 weeks 4 days 2-3-10 .
#20 of 68 Old 07-27-2006, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter
A&A

FYI, I found this:

"Release of tongue-tie, if accompanied by speech therapy, results in a mild
improvement in articulation and speech. Tongue-tie release alone does not result in speech improvement."

and......

"there is enough evidence that good speech is still possible with significant tongue-tie and that
speech problems can be overcome with speech therapy without having to undergo frenulectomy."

http://www.modernmedicine.ie/modern_...modmed_jan.pdf

and I read that in a 4 yo., most of the time the tongue clipping is done under general anesthesia! Yikes!

#21 of 68 Old 07-27-2006, 03:20 AM

My DS is 11 months and we are just realizing that he's tongue tied. We couldn't nurse--it was a nightmare--I lost my milk after 3 months of pumping. I asked 2 midwives, 2 lactation consultants and 3 doctors if my son was tongue tied and they said no. I am so upset about the nursing that I will start bawling if I talk anymore about it.

I finally saw his tongue this week...he has a cold and it breathing through his mouth...(he usually can't get it past his bottom lip). It's the classic heart shape.

My mother is a speech path, and she said that it definitely can affect speech. Not sure if it will still affect speech if it's clipped at 11 mos.

On the Brian Palmer website linked above, the dr shows how a tight frenun can mess up the bottom teeth, and sure enough, my son's two front teeth look exactly like the picture.

I have an appointment both with an ENT and a naturopath (the one Sadkitty mentioned) in the next couple weeks. I want to get their opinions before clipping so I am sure about who is doing what and why before they touch my son.

Sadkitty...which dentist offered to treat with laser? Maybe I should check him or her out too.

I am devastated that our nursing problems were fixable but it didn't get fixed!!!! I hope the general population learns more about this so that parents of newborns can get support to get clipped if they need to for nursing.

Good luck deciding for your son. I am definitely going to do mine and will always regret not being able to do it when he was a newborn.

--Adrienne
#22 of 68 Old 07-27-2006, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A
Anyone know anything specific about tongue clipping?
Just that you should be sure to get at least one other opinion. A doctor told me my son had a tongue-tie and wanted to clip it, which he said was a simple procedure. I took him to another doctor who said he didn't even HAVE a tongue-tie, much less one that needed to be clipped. He also said it isn't necessarily a simple procedure at all. The slight speech difficulty he had for whatever other reason disappeared as he grew older. Lillian
#23 of 68 Old 07-27-2006, 04:46 AM

My brother had his clipped in his 20s and could then finally pronounce the spanish "r" correctly. No one really ever noticed it before but the family, since he was very good at disguising it.

He was happy he had it done, although the procedure ended up being more than a little snip. BTW and for all it's worth, he's intact and so are his three sons. In fact he's RABIDLY pro intact so I guess from that perspective you can't really compare the two procedures at all.

A foreskin is normal, a tounge tie is not. Clipping a tounge tie actually has benefits whereas removing a foreskin has only downsides.
#24 of 68 Old 07-27-2006, 08:41 AM

Tongue tie can cause problems with sounds that require the tip of the tongue to touch behind the front teeth D,T,L,N. I don't think it causes a lisp. Sophie has a heart shaped tongue but no problem with those sounds and can roll her tongue, wiggle it from side to side so i guess it's not affecting her.
#25 of 68 Old 07-27-2006, 12:33 PM

I don't know if my lisping nephew has a tongue-tie, that's what makes me curious to take a look! That's not his only pronunciation problem though. He too has trouble rolling his Rs in Spanish. As for the D,T,L,N- he talks so darn fast I'm not really sure.

If lisp is caused by tongue thrust, as frenchie said, then it may be his problem. The dentist's site linked above says

Quote:
47 – Demonstrates a tight frenum. A tight frenum restricts the movement of the tongue. A tight lingual frenum WILL NEARLY ALWAYS CAUSE A TONGUE THRUST - forcing the tongue to come forward between the teeth during a swallow, instead of going up and back across the roof of the mouth.
(Capital letters his! It's not me yelling.)

~*Kristi*~

#26 of 68 Old 07-28-2006, 01:05 AM

The Brian Palmer site has very good information about tongue tie.

Most importantly, tongue-tie lead to sleep apnea which can have very bad outcomes. It can also contribute to reflux because of an incorrect swallow. And contribute to speech disorders, as well as rapid tooth decay because of lack of proper movement of the tongue.

Tongue-tie is a minor genetic defect and related to many other genetic disorders on the midline of the body.

Breastfeeding helps train the mouth to speak properly. So if the child is already or still breastfeeding and breastfeeding well, then clipping the too-tight-frenulum may improve his speech.

At least this is the info I have garnered from former and present speech paths, ENTs, and dentists who have evaluated my son.

mv
#27 of 68 Old 07-28-2006, 01:17 AM

I don't think we clip enough! We have had some tounge tied babies on our unit who were having totally difficult times with feeding, especially breastfeeding and the docs/NNPs here are so hessitant to do it. Last year we had twin girls, both with the tight frenulum, one went to another hospital for a few days for a procedure and while she was there one of the docs just clipped it. When she came back she was like a new baby, she took off breastfeeding like a champ but her sister stayed weeks behind her. We finally with much pressure got the doc to OK the second one to be clipped, once she was clipped she was able to go home in a couple days. Anyway, where I work there is a huge hesitancy to clip them. Sometimes it seems so obvious that it would make things 100 X better and it really is just a snip. I am as anti circ as you can get but the tounge thing is so different. I don't advocate clipping every baby, but there are cases where it would be a huge benefit. I would do it in a second if I thought it was interfering wiht my child's feeding or speech.
#28 of 68 Old 07-28-2006, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lula's Mom
I don't know if my lisping nephew has a tongue-tie, that's what makes me curious to take a look! That's not his only pronunciation problem though. He too has trouble rolling his Rs in Spanish. As for the D,T,L,N- he talks so darn fast I'm not really sure.

If lisp is caused by tongue thrust, as frenchie said, then it may be his problem. The dentist's site linked above says
I had heard that it was once common in Mexico (maybe it still is?) to automatically just clip almost every baby at birth. Maybe they figured they could roll R's better?
#29 of 68 Old 07-28-2006, 01:33 AM

My brother had his clipped when it became a dental problem - he couldn't remove food from his back teeth. He was and is a quiet child, so no difference there.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#30 of 68 Old 07-28-2006, 02:03 AM

This tongue clipping subject comes up fairly regularly on this forum so it is another subject that could be searched with the new search engine if you want even more info.

<<Attachment parenting starts with leaving the foreskin attached.>>

A & A, I love that signature line you have, I'm stealing it, okay?
Baybee

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page