Mothering Forum banner

Spinoff from Doctors Discussing Circumcision

622 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  baybee 
#1 ·
I just wrote this as a reply and realized it probably goes better as it's own thread.

I have been mulling this very thing over for a few days now too. We see a GP and I don't know if he does circumcisions or not. When I was pregnant he asked if the baby would be circumcised and I said no and he said ok. That was that. The other day I realized though, if he does perform them, I don't think I can go to him anymore. I don't want to support that. And I have a few friends that see him too and I think they would also leave if they knew he performs them. But, I'm in a quandry, because I don't know if there is any doctor around here that doesn't do them, and this guy is pretty darn AP, doesn't give us any crap about not vaccinating, doesn't care that we don't come in for WBV, etc..... He's very conservative about treatments, does phone consults, isn't in a group practice, treats our whole family. I think he is a great doctor. So now I have to decide if I want to call as an anonymous person and ask if the good doctor does circumcisions. I really don't know if I really want to know. I would be beyond uncomfortable ever seeing him again if he does. What have others of you done?

#2 ·
I have no idea if the ped that i take my kids to circ.
it is a practice of around 5-6 dr's honestly it wouldnt surprise me if they do. I would switch but my options are so limited as it is I have to drive a hour just to get there and they are in 7days a week and 24hour on call dr. That is virtually unhead of around here. So far 2 out of the 4 dr i have seen with ds did try to retract him
so that dosnt speak well for them not doing circs I'm afraid.

#3 ·
I think you're probably going to be hard-pressed to find a doctor who is THAT pro-AP. I feel that the fact that he doesn't mind not vaccinating, doesn't mind that you don't do WBV, does phone consults instead of forcing you to drag your kid in all the time, and is conservative with treatments warrants bending the no circumcision thing a bit. I can understand your reservations about it, but your chances of finding another doctor that much in-line with your personal beliefs about parenting, etc. with the exception of possibly doing circumcisions are pretty darned slim.

A good doctor is hard to find these days, especially one who will listen to the patient (or parent in this case) rather than stick to "traditional" medical pratices.

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.

#4 ·
Now you have me curious...I will call for you!! lol. I want to call my place now too. I dont think they do circ's there, but now I am wondering....I dont think I would change peds either, as mine is very AP as well, but it would be nice to know one way or the other. Maybe if they do, I can convince my ped to stop

#5 ·
Here's my story:

About a year ago I decided that I was determined to find a doctor that did not participate in this type of medical fraud. So I got my little HMO book out and called every Pedi office within a 30-mile radius that was listed in the book. It amounted to 10 practices.

I asked them all by phone:

"Does any one in the office NOT perform circs?"

Alot of really confused secretaries to say the least.

"What?
huh?
Excuse me?
Why?"

And then....

NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO

etc...

I'm getting irked at this point as you can imagine. I keep calling and finally get one lady to tell me that 2 MD's on the staff (women) don't do them! Yeah!!! BUT they refer them to their colleagues.

Guilty!

So I finally give up. I was simply disgusted. No MD will say no to cash i concluded. Sickening!

I just picked a chick that was close to home; I did ask her if she circ'd (of course yes) but she said she tries to persuade parents that it is not necessary. That was the best I could hope for. If the MD actually made some sort of effort to dissuade the parent I gave them Kudos.

So that's the scoop from San Diego. Good Luck. You will need it.

#6 ·
I feared as much!

I looked on the Doctors Opposing Circumcision site but it doesn't have a list of doctors that are involved with their group. It sure would be nice if there was a reference of doctors that don't do it.

But, I have to say that I would much rather stick with my guy than change to someone who pushes vaccinations or some other thing that I don't agree with. I mean, this doctor actually encourages patients to co-sleep and babywear and breastfeed. And he does not advocate CIO. There really aren't many like that.

Maybe I can convert him if he does them!!

#7 ·
He's probably in the dissuade category that the previous poster mentioned if he's that pro-AP. It sounds like you have my dream doctor! I hope I can find one like that, seriously! We're going to start checking in on pediatricians within the next couple of months. I hope we get lucky like you did! (Even if they do circ)

#8 ·
How about a conversation that might start with an "innocent"
:... "Hey Doc I read online about this poor baby whose doctor told his mom to keep retracting what was left of his foreskin. I'm soooo glad you are up to date on the AAP recommendations about circumcision."
:

#9 ·
Hmmm...maybe trying to contact Doctors Opposing Circumcision? They might have some suggestions? Also if there is anykind of pro-intact organisation near you(like NORM-chapter), they might know. Or..write an opinion letter to your local newspaper about horrors of circ and address you concern about findind anti-circ doctor.

Remember, 47 states have allready made law about 'Conscientious objection'. It allows doctors to refuse to perform certain procedures on moral grounds.

And I do remember (from another board)at least one mother who found a doctor who refuses to do them. So they are out there...

#10 ·
As I read this thread, I'm so proud of all of you. I kept thinking, when the people lead the leaders follow. I know that a lot of docs have given up doing circs or started to give anaesthetics because they were so scorned by the nurses for being "mean" to babies. Docs are just people. They like to be liked. If you let them know you like them when they're saying "no" to circ, they will start saying "no". Once the tide is turned, it will be a tidal wave against circ. Keep asking the questions and letting the doctors know you won't bring them your biz if they're cutting.
Baybee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.