Mothering Forum banner

Intact partner and bacterial vaginosis

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  LeosMama 
#1 ·
This might be better in health and healing, I will trust the mods to move it if that is the case.

I am looking for information for a friend. Her dh is intact and she has been suffering from recurrent bacterial vaginosis. She fears that it is because he is intact as she never had this problem before. Anyone have any advice? I am not sure what she has tried to get rid of it so far, I plan to ask her and will add that info when I get it. Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Quote:
She fears that it is because he is intact
Reassure her that this is 100% false - I had recurrant BV for 2 years with a cut partner. I stopped using soap on my vagina, which helped immensely. I also used the gel they gave me for the entire tube, not just the 7 days they said to use it.

http://www.cdc.gov/std/bv/STDFact-Ba...-Vaginosis.htm
Show her this - circumcision status has NO BEARING on BV

#6 ·
Yeah, they could be passing it back and forth whether he's intact or not. Either way, they should both be treated at this point even if he's asymptomatic. But you generally get BV because the normal vaginal bacteria have grown out of proportion to the yeast...is she using too many cleansing products, or some anti-yeast/anti-fungal product, that could be causing this problem? Douching, harsh soaps, deodorant gels/creams/wipes/powders...all these things can cause problems because they skew the normal balance whereby many things coexist but no one is dominant.

#7 ·
I'm sorry for your friend. I had BV 3 years ago and it was HORRIBLE! It can be difficult to get rid of too. At that time, I'd never had an intact partner, but I think this particular infection came on as a direct result of sex with a new partner. I also had BV when pregnant in 2001 which is not all that uncommon, I hear.

As for it being from an intact partner, I highly doubt it. I've had recurrent yeast infecctions lately, and yes my partner is intact, BUT I'm not gonna blame him or dump him. This is a FEMALE imbalance. IF he has it, he got it from me- not the other way around. In fact, he got himself treated so we BOTH would be sure to be free of it and not pass it back and forth.

Also, making sure you dry completely after a shower and shower after exercise helps a lot, in addition to wearing cotton underwear and loose-fitting clothing, and not eating too much sugar. Coffee, it seems, worsens things for me, too. (
)

#8 ·
My friend had bv for years. Her dh is cut. She went to a kinesiologist and she told her that she had tons of candida. I think she used olive leaf (I'll check with her), lots of probiotics and tea tree oil in their laundry. She also eliminated refined sugar and did a cleanse. She's been symptom free for months now. I would recommend lots of probiotics. They have helped tremendously for my yeast infections! Rosemary Gladstar has lots of natural remedies for bv in her book Herbal Healing for Women.

#9 ·
My husband is circumcised. He passed BV and yeast back to me a lot for a couple of years, until I convinced the doctor he needed to be treated, too. I got a lot of infections and UTI's during that time.

Apparently it has nothing to do with the foreskin or lack thereof.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.