Look what I found on WEBMD - Mothering Forums

#1 of 20 Old 08-21-2006, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
quote from an article on circumcision:

Kevin De Cock, MD, director of the World Health Organization's HIV/AIDSHIV/AIDS program, says that if the findings hold up, the global agency will issue guidelines backing the procedure for HIV prevention.

http://www.webmd.com/content/Article...m?pagenumber=1

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 08-21-2006, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Geez PUKE. Why aren't people using logic and common sense about this. :

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#3 of 20 Old 08-21-2006, 11:52 AM

So now in Africa we're "breaking down cultural attitudes" that are against male circumcision, while at the same time "breaking down cultural attitudes" that are in favor of female circumcision. Talk about a bizarre turn of the tables!

How scientific are these studies? Are they controlling for obvious confounding factors? Like, circumcised men might tend to come from "cultural backgrounds" that are more disciplined about sexual behavior, or other such issues.

You know, this highlights one of the biggest problems with the "war on AIDS" in Africa. It's all about "risk reduction", rather than complete avoidance of risk. Let's suppose that circumcision DOES reduce the risk of contracting AIDS, and millions of men are circumcised. And for what real benefit? Some may avoid AIDS, but many thousands of those men will STILL contract AIDS, despite "doing something" about it - in this case getting a perfectly functional body part cut off. (The same line of thought works for condoms.)

I'd like to see the AIDS-war leaders be more honest with people. Sure, MAYBE they can REDUCE their risk with these measures, but it sure is a lot of trouble to still be taking a chance. There's only one absolutely sure way to live without getting AIDS - I hope they're not fooling people into feeling secure! (Okay, I know that was sort of a tangent from circumcision. But I get really mad when they propose instituting something as drastic as mass circumcision without a guarantee of ANYTHING, other than some serious pain and dismemberment.)
#4 of 20 Old 08-21-2006, 12:12 PM

The sad thing is that those circumcised men can and WILL get HIV if they continue to have unprotected sex with infected partners. It may not be within the time frame of the particular study being conducted, but it will eventually happen......

Because circumcision is not protection against HIV.

Arghhhh!!!
#5 of 20 Old 08-21-2006, 12:23 PM

WOW!! This is great..a great way to stop the spread of aids Maybe if we circ'd more boys here in the 80's we wouldn't have much of an HIV problem now.....oh wait a minute...we did!!
#6 of 20 Old 08-21-2006, 12:27 PM

Plus, I don't understand the big deal!! We are now only teaching abstinence (sp?) in schools, so most teens and up from here on out will not be having sex until they're married....so they probably won't be getting or spreading STD's....right ??....no sarcasim here (sp)
#7 of 20 Old 08-21-2006, 12:57 PM

Yeah except when circ men get married and start to become unfaithful hide the 'affair' then boom they are not telling wives of affairs of unfaithfulness omg what if the 'other lady had a not known std' passed it to his wife-talk about double secrecy but then with this talk of Hiv being a invisble condom the women would only be tested for HIV in pregnancy and maybe this could be half the reason why some babies are at risk for HIV from mom's.

Then sometimes it's so ridocolous they think hiv is only caused by dtd it's caused by other things too.
#8 of 20 Old 08-21-2006, 01:00 PM

The one and ONLY way to actually stop the spread of HIV is for EVERYONE to STOP haveing SEX! If everybody in the world would stop having sex, then the spread of all STD's will drop. And come to think of it, so would the population.
#9 of 20 Old 08-21-2006, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoB
Yeah except when circ men get married and start to become unfaithful hide the 'affair' then boom they are not telling wives of affairs of unfaithfulness omg what if the 'other lady had a not known std' passed it to his wife-talk about double secrecy but then with this talk of Hiv being a invisble condom the women would only be tested for HIV in pregnancy and maybe this could be half the reason why some babies are at risk for HIV from mom's.

Then sometimes it's so ridocolous they think hiv is only caused by dtd it's caused by other things too.
You don't really think a man is capable of doing these awful things to his wife...I mean look how wonderful and caring he is..wanting to chop of a part of his childs penis..

(My negative sarcasim is on a roll today)
#10 of 20 Old 08-21-2006, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_star
The one and ONLY way to actually stop the spread of HIV is for EVERYONE to STOP haveing SEX! .
Hell, after they lose most of the sensation of sex they might as well just stop having sex anyway!!
#11 of 20 Old 08-21-2006, 10:25 PM

who thinks it's funny the guy's last name is De Cock?
#12 of 20 Old 08-21-2006, 10:38 PM

Hahahaha ME!!!!!!!!!

I was going to say "I normally don't stoop so low as to make fun of someone's name, but that's just too funny to resist!"

You beat me to it.
#13 of 20 Old 08-21-2006, 11:27 PM

Mr. DeCock did say "if the findings hold up".

While anyone with a lick of sense can see how shamelessly biased the findings are, the "Circumcision May Prevent The Spread Of AIDS" findings have garnered a great deal of press lately and I'm sure Mr. DeCock's office has been flooded with calls, letters, and E-mails from concerned citizens wanting to know how true the findings are. Mr. DeCock would therefore be severely remiss in his duties if he didn't investigate the reported findings fully.

In the long run, serious, logical, and peer-reviewed studies of the effect of circumcision on the transmission of the virus which causes AIDS can only help the case of us intactivists by once and for all disproving the findings of the initial study.

Wouldn't it be a heckuva note if it gets proven conclusively through unimpeachable and unbiased scientific studies that remaining intact actually prevents the spread of AIDS better than getting circumcised does?
#14 of 20 Old 08-22-2006, 02:37 AM
Fi.

Quote:
We are now only teaching abstinence (sp?) in schools, so most teens and up from here on out will not be having sex until they're married
I...have a look at Texas. They've been doing abstinence only for awhile and they have the second highest teen pregnancy rate in the nation.

The thing that has been proven about AO education is that if the teen fails, most of them don't know a lick about birth control or condoms and usually end up having unprotected sex :\

Long distance Mom to boarding school superstars E (9) and Layne (6).
#15 of 20 Old 08-22-2006, 02:44 AM

Oh, goodnes... c'mon! This is WebMD we're talking about! You KNOW they're in bed w/ the big hospitals, getting rich off of ripping off innocent boys' foreskins. They're probably also in bed w/ the big Drug Co's, too. I don't like any source that is uses WebMD as a resource.
#16 of 20 Old 08-22-2006, 02:49 AM

Life is a sexually transmitted condition which ends in certain death.
#17 of 20 Old 08-22-2006, 08:58 AM

WebMD is definately a horrible reference, but so many people actually read it and trust it.
#18 of 20 Old 08-22-2006, 09:27 AM

I LOVE this one from the article:

"And, despite worries that circumcised men would feel safe and engage in risky behaviors, University of Illinois researchers found that half of recently circumcised men reported using condoms more consistently and paying for sex less frequently."

HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are using more condoms and paying for sex less!!!!

Duh, this is why the rates of AIDS are lower, if they really are that is. I think this all a bunch of crap and lies that are benefiting someone.

This study should say, USE CONDOMS and don't sleep with "ladies of the evening" so you don't get a deadly disease. :

SAHM to Ivan 6/10/05 who says  signcirc1.gifand Matilda 1/31/08 who says saynovax.gif:::

#19 of 20 Old 08-22-2006, 11:19 AM

If they start this process they will be taking advantage of these people. They are uneducated in general when it comes to Western medical ideas. All they will tell them is that it will prevent HIV and none of the negatives. It will also give a false security.

The numbers I saw were something like a few percent lower infection of HIV in circumcised vs intact. That doesn't seem significant enough since that could come from other sources.

Not only that but in some countries the infection rate was higher amoung circumcised men. These studies seem to mean nothing.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#20 of 20 Old 08-23-2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telle Bear
Hell, after they lose most of the sensation of sex they might as well just stop having sex anyway!!
Yes, you got a very good point there! Who wants to have sex if you can't feel anything.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page