Boycotting pro-circ WAHM/WAHDs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2006, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
Fi.
 
Fi.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Nashville TN/Vancouver BC
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the title sounds a little harsh maybe, but I know I can't be the only person who does this. I see threads on a certain place where people link their WAH stores or ebay stores or auctions and if I remember them posting in pro-circ threads (such as "who else doesnt regret circing their son" *NOTE: not a real thread, just an example title) I make a little note to never buy from them no matter how cute their products are.

I feel like it's kind of mean but is it really any different than not buying from The Body Shop or L'oreal or any of the other places that promote circ in some way, shape or form. The only difference is we don't make a public list of them (though I can't stay that'd be a horrible idea)

I don't know, what do you guys think?

Long distance Mom to boarding school superstars E (9) and Layne (6).
Fi. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-28-2006, 08:17 AM
 
darsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think you are taking a stand against Circ by doing this. I try to not buy from Bush supporters. Not to say all Bush supporters are evil, I know some are very nice. I just would rather support someone whose views and goals are near mine.
Our dollar counts more than our opinions. So I say, go for it.
darsmama is offline  
Old 09-28-2006, 08:46 AM
 
Blu Razzberri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll be honest; I don't think that's entirely fair...espeically since the person won't know why you're boycotting their stuff...plus, you'd have to dig way deeper than this message board, because I'm sure that alot of your everyday products come from or are made by people who believe in circumcision.

You may also not know their whole story.

When my boy was born 3 years ago, his father and I made the choice to have it done for various reasons. I did explore the other side a bit, but I didn't openly know anyone who wasn't, and it just seemed like the normal thing to do.

Today, my S/O isn't circ'd and I look at the subject differently. Does this mean I regret the decision I made? No I don't. Why not? Because I made the best decision I could have made with the information I had. Would I make a different choice if I could go back and do it again? I honestly don't know, but I sure as hell would explore the other side a bit better!

I also don't agree with trying to 'force' your beliefs on other's; no matter how you do it. In some places, it's believed that women shouldn't speak; and they firmly believe that. Does that make it right? Not to you and I; but we can't change it, it's personal choice. HOWEVER, you CAN try to change people's minds by providing them with more information; because perhaps, like me, they're underinformed.

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
Blu Razzberri is offline  
Old 09-28-2006, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
Fi.
 
Fi.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Nashville TN/Vancouver BC
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There's a difference between circing your kid and not knowing better and being blatantly pro-circ/anti-intact.

Quote:
because I'm sure that alot of your everyday products come from or are made by people who believe in circumcision.
I'm sure they are. However as long as they aren't PROMOTING circumcision as good/healthier/necessary that's their perogative. I don't buy from companies that publically support/endorse circumcision as is (body shop, l'oreal, ameda, etc) how is this any different?

Long distance Mom to boarding school superstars E (9) and Layne (6).
Fi. is offline  
Old 09-28-2006, 09:45 AM
 
TigerTail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: I'm finally here!
Posts: 8,660
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think it's fair, but I suspect the people who advertise their wares will do some editing in a hurry on those kind of threads. You might want to assemble it quickly.

I would not boycott those who did it for religious reasons. I would like a place to be able to fully discuss the religious reasons without getting called names & having threads edited, but that doesn't mean I would want to boycott them (that is, if they were at least somewhat historically correct religious reasons; gross misinterpretations of one's own scriptures don't count ).
TigerTail is offline  
Old 09-28-2006, 10:02 AM
 
paquerette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Poconos
Posts: 6,594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Razzberri View Post
I also don't agree with trying to 'force' your beliefs on other's; no matter how you do it.
I think that circumcising a child is forcing your beliefs on them far more than refusing to do business with someone who circ's is 'forcing' them to do anything. A boycott is a passive thing, and no one is entitled to have anyone spend any money in their business, kwim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Razzberri View Post
HOWEVER, you CAN try to change people's minds by providing them with more information; because perhaps, like me, they're underinformed.
This is probably the best method, but I think other methods can be employed as well. Sometimes, people aren't paying attention to the information (especially if they're participating in threads about being glad they've circ'ed, in the face of overwhelming information against it) and you need to get their attention through other means.

And btw, I hope you stick around and hang out with us some more.
paquerette is offline  
Old 09-28-2006, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
Fi.
 
Fi.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Nashville TN/Vancouver BC
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I would not boycott those who did it for religious reasons.
Nope, me either. I was speaking people who tout it for cosmetic reasons etc.

Quote:
HOWEVER, you CAN try to change people's minds by providing them with more information; because perhaps, like me, they're underinformed.
Oh of course, but when I see people in OTHER PLACES *cough* saying how great it is and how good it looks...well the last thing I want to do is um, buy their prodcuts.

Long distance Mom to boarding school superstars E (9) and Layne (6).
Fi. is offline  
Old 09-28-2006, 10:49 AM
 
aisraeltax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: never never land & CPP
Posts: 5,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Razzberri View Post
I also don't agree with trying to 'force' your beliefs on other's; no matter how you do it.
i dont see boycotting someone's business as forcing one's beliefs on someone else. if i KNEW a WAHM, etc. was advocating circ. (different than simply circ'ing her son when less informed), then i would NOT want to support that business. same as if a WAHM advocated the Pearls or the Ferber method, etc.

i have often thought how WAHM's who advertise here are able to run a business when expressing her opinion could offend someone. I tend to believe that if i had a WAHM business advertised on this board, i would probably be boycotted by all many for several reasons...which is why im glad i don't have to concern myself with that issue when posting my "feelings" here.

It seems like it has to be pointed out again and again that this is a Natural Family Living board and circ. is not natural. why someone who post pro-circ. opinions here is beyond me.:
aisraeltax is offline  
Old 09-28-2006, 12:44 PM
 
cv580's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cv580 is offline  
Old 09-28-2006, 12:52 PM
 
Sijae's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,435
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well since circumcision is amputation of a healthy body part on an unconsenting human and therefore a major human rights violation, I am quite happy to "boycott" or in any other way try to prevent infant circumcions by any person for ANY reason. RIC should be illegal with no exceptions.

So yes I wouldn't buy WAHM stuff from a mom I knew was pro-circ.

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

Sijae is offline  
Old 09-28-2006, 01:14 PM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 42,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I boycott all sorts of places for different philosophical reasons. So, yeah, if there was a WAHM company and the mom was pro-circ (non-religious) then you'd better believe I wouldn't buy anything from her.

Heck, I boycott a local barbeque place (one of THE big names in Houston for goodness sakes, it's a big deal ) because I knew the son in HS and he was loudly biggoted. The son will inherit the business some day. So I choose not to give them my business.

-Angela
alegna is offline  
Old 09-28-2006, 01:49 PM
 
pdx.mothernurture's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think it's fair and good. But, you have the chance of making the biggest impact when you email or message them and let them know that you find their products adorable, but you can't support families that circumcise their children (male, or female).

Keep in mind that as Medicaid and private insurance continues to defund routine infant circumcision, more and more famlies are paying out of pocket. Knowing that, I wouldn't knowingly put money in their pockets that might actually pay for-or at least offset the cost-of circumcision.

Jen
pdx.mothernurture is offline  
Old 09-28-2006, 02:01 PM
 
Telle Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Eliot Maine
Posts: 865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm game...are we allowed to start a list here, or is that against the rules?

I don't really care to go back and forth over the situation.
I agree that there is a difference between boycotting a family owened business or a huge company...think of how many people would/are affected when it's a big company...all the employee's, the truck drivers, people in the warehouse...most of these people don't even have a say in what ingredients go into the product. That to me is much crueler. In a small family based business they CAN control what is supported and what happens with there product.

So about that list.....
Telle Bear is offline  
Old 09-28-2006, 02:03 PM
 
KrystalC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: covered in baby drool
Posts: 1,184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I see absolutely nothing wrong with boycotting ANY business because you disagree with the philosophical beliefs of the owners of said company. For example, many people boycott companies that test products on animals because the animals are completely unable to give consent, so I don't see boycotting a company supporting RIC as being any different because baby boys are also not able to consent to what is being done to them.

It's entirely within your rights to boycott any company for any reason you see fit!! You don't have to spend your money anywhere you believe the funds will be used in support of something you don't believe in... with the exception of taxes!

Boycott away, mama!
KrystalC is offline  
Old 09-28-2006, 02:13 PM
 
Quirky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Princeton, NJ
Posts: 11,770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am all for boycotts. I am sure I'm not getting business from my signature ad at my other board because I'm a loud and proud intactivist. If I still had my signature ad here (too expensive ) I'm sure I'd offend people here (if I actually bothered to post outside CAC!)

But you have to let the business owners know about your boycott, otherwise it doesn't do any good. Conversely, I have seen a lot of WAHMs with signature ads post here in CAC, and you should let them know that you're supporting them with your business when you buy from them.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Quirky is offline  
Old 09-28-2006, 02:38 PM
 
kxsiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,429
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm allready doing it - boycoting businesses&people who are pro-circ - no matter what the reason is.

In fact, I even changed my job because of my beliefs. I knew myself, I knew that I could not provide best possible service to those who circ so I left.

FGM&MGM are one of the cruelest acts against children's human rights. I do not want to support it any way.
kxsiven is offline  
Old 09-28-2006, 02:48 PM
 
twins10705's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,059
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Razzberri View Post
I'll be honest; I don't think that's entirely fair...espeically since the person won't know why you're boycotting their stuff...plus, you'd have to dig way deeper than this message board, because I'm sure that alot of your everyday products come from or are made by people who believe in circumcision.

You may also not know their whole story.

When my boy was born 3 years ago, his father and I made the choice to have it done for various reasons. I did explore the other side a bit, but I didn't openly know anyone who wasn't, and it just seemed like the normal thing to do.

Today, my S/O isn't circ'd and I look at the subject differently. Does this mean I regret the decision I made? No I don't. Why not? Because I made the best decision I could have made with the information I had. Would I make a different choice if I could go back and do it again? I honestly don't know, but I sure as hell would explore the other side a bit better!

I also don't agree with trying to 'force' your beliefs on other's; no matter how you do it. In some places, it's believed that women shouldn't speak; and they firmly believe that. Does that make it right? Not to you and I; but we can't change it, it's personal choice. HOWEVER, you CAN try to change people's minds by providing them with more information; because perhaps, like me, they're underinformed.
How can you *not* regret that you had something so awful done to your baby!? He and his future partners will forever be negatively affected by what you had done to him. It was not your penis to amputate!
twins10705 is offline  
Old 09-28-2006, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
Fi.
 
Fi.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Nashville TN/Vancouver BC
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twins10705 View Post
How can you *not* regret that you had something so awful done to your baby!? He and his future partners will forever be negatively affected by what you had done to him. It was not your penis to amputate!
I'm not a mod but that was out of line.

Long distance Mom to boarding school superstars E (9) and Layne (6).
Fi. is offline  
Old 09-28-2006, 03:35 PM
 
twins10705's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,059
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi. View Post
I'm not a mod but that was out of line.
Last time I checked, this was the Case **AGAINST** Circumcision forum!!
twins10705 is offline  
Old 09-28-2006, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
Fi.
 
Fi.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Nashville TN/Vancouver BC
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twins10705 View Post
Last time I checked, this was the Case **AGAINST** Circumcision forum!!
And last time I checked, we don't treat members - whether they circumcise and regret or circumcised and don't regret - like crap.

If you did the best you could with what you had, there's NO REASON to feel guilty or regretful as you didn't intentionally harm your child. If a person chooses to feel guilty for not doing better, that's their own perogative but not everyone does. IMO it's enough for me that the person who now knows wouldn't do it again so that they "matched".

Long distance Mom to boarding school superstars E (9) and Layne (6).
Fi. is offline  
Old 09-28-2006, 04:24 PM
 
twins10705's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,059
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi. View Post
And last time I checked, we don't treat members - whether they circumcise and regret or circumcised and don't regret - like crap.

If you did the best you could with what you had, there's NO REASON to feel guilty or regretful as you didn't intentionally harm your child. If a person chooses to feel guilty for not doing better, that's their own perogative but not everyone does. IMO it's enough for me that the person who now knows wouldn't do it again so that they "matched".
First off, where did she say that she wouldn't do it again?? I disagree with you and say there is MOST CERTAINLY a reason to feel regret just for the fact there your child is no longer whole, no matter who's fault it was! Even my MIL who had my dh circumcised as a preemie expressed regret w/out beating herself up that she didn't know it didn't have to be done. Maybe I am misreading, but I understood that this woman circumcised her son, and doesn't regret her choice. I have all the compassion in the world for the child, but not much for the parent that refuses to accept the truth and realize the horrendous procedure that is "circumcision". That bothers me on a lot of levels. If that *isn't* what she is saying than I am sorry I "made her feel like crap." If she posts to clarify I will definately edit what I said and apologize for misreading.
twins10705 is offline  
Old 09-28-2006, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
Fi.
 
Fi.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Nashville TN/Vancouver BC
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
She doesn't regret it because she did the best she could with what she had. And that's all we can ask of ANYONE.

And as for her not doing it again, I interpret that she'd really think about the issue if she were to have another son and - from expirience here - most people who really think and really research don't go on to do it. Maybe I'm misinterpreting.

Long distance Mom to boarding school superstars E (9) and Layne (6).
Fi. is offline  
Old 09-28-2006, 05:38 PM
 
TigerTail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: I'm finally here!
Posts: 8,660
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
'Regret' is not necessarily beating oneself up with everlasting guilt. I regret spanking my dd lo these many years ago, but I don't dwell on it. I apologized, she forgave, & it's done. I did the best with the knowledge I had. But how could I say I didn't regret it? I don't think it's 'treating a member like crap' to raise questions, nor do I think it is just parsing semantics.
TigerTail is offline  
Old 09-28-2006, 06:50 PM
 
Lula's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 4,412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Perhaps we should start a thread about regret, so as not to derail the original conversation.

I would never, ever ever EVER buy from a WAHM who openly advocated circumcision. If I knew, I'd boycott them in a heartbeat. My money would go elsewhere, no question about it. And IMO they open themselves up to it by posting their feelings about it, as Quirky pointed out.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

Lula's Mom is offline  
Old 09-28-2006, 07:54 PM
 
Mamm2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would boycott too!!

Where is that list...
Mamm2 is offline  
Old 09-29-2006, 07:23 AM
 
Minky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Instead of a boycott list, why not a positive list of anti-circ or intact-friendly WAHM's and WAHD's? I have know idea how to make a website but maybe it could be part of someone's already existant anti-circ page, and people could apply to be listed either in this thread, or in an email?
Minky is offline  
Old 09-29-2006, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Fi.
 
Fi.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Nashville TN/Vancouver BC
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep, a positive "please buy from" list would be equally good.

Long distance Mom to boarding school superstars E (9) and Layne (6).
Fi. is offline  
Old 09-29-2006, 04:15 PM
 
eco_mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 11,072
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I definitely boycott any buisness that supports things I don't believe in or are against my faith.
eco_mama is offline  
Old 09-29-2006, 07:42 PM
 
kldliam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful Oregon
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
OP: I feel like it's kind of mean
i feel like it's kind of brilliant! We should all be doing this.
kldliam is offline  
Old 09-30-2006, 12:57 AM
 
Minky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who's site can we put the lists on?

Someone is going to have to step up, I would but I can't make a site, I don't know how.
Minky is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off