Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusbeans View Post
I think so too. It's got a backwards feel or something, doesn't it? I do say uncut though.
Uncut isn't as bad.. But still leaves a bad taste in my mouth..

I think that I'm going to call it NORMAL. Because circumcision is anything but.
#33 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 11:38 PM

#34 of 51 Old 10-01-2006, 12:33 AM

I would use uncircumsized to describe what intact meant... mainly because before this board... I didn't know what intact meant. :

But, I think people use un as in "not", not as in "the opposite of"
#35 of 51 Old 10-01-2006, 12:45 AM

I always use the term whole penis. Or just say that my son is whole.
#36 of 51 Old 10-01-2006, 12:56 AM

I also prefer "intact" to "uncircumcised" for all the reasons given above...although I have slipped up every now and then. I actually think "natural" is an even better choice, although many mainstream people probably wouldn't get it.

I was talking with my pro-circumcision girlfriend about another mom in our circle and I mentioned, "she didn't cut her kid". I thought the use of "cut" instead of "circumcise" would sting a bit harsher and force her to think about what she intends to do to her sons.
#37 of 51 Old 10-01-2006, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revamp View Post
But in all honesty I just find it a little illogical: my genitals are also "Uneunicified", and "Uncastrated" but despite the fact that such things can and do happen to genitals pretty often (and did on a regular basis in the past in some cultures) does not mean I should make their absense of modification a defining feature.
I love what you've said here. It makes a great point. Even more everyday modifications are not referred to by their absense. People aren't "untattooed" or "unpierced".

I also agree that "un" is the undoing of something already done, not the absense of doing said thing in the first place.
#38 of 51 Old 10-01-2006, 02:24 AM

Intact all the way!!

My son is not un- anything. Nothing is missing. It's all there.

I think intact makes the conection that circumcised means something was taken. Because it was intact and now it's not. At least I hope that's what people think.
#39 of 51 Old 10-01-2006, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
Uncircumcised.

I call it intact.. Saying "uncircumcised" makes me feel like there's something undone about it.. Like Circumcision is the norm.
When used to describe an intact man, yes. When used as a synonym for "restored", then no.
#40 of 51 Old 10-01-2006, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandals View Post
I hate it, and i find it somewhat sad when parents get angry that their children are not considered "intact" becuase they have circed. If you wanted your child whole, all you had to do was say "no thanks" when asked if you wanted a piece taken off their penis.
Oooh! Sweeet! You got it mama!
#41 of 51 Old 10-01-2006, 05:59 AM

Thanks for bringing this up, Greenie. It is a really important point, and I don't think I would have ever brought this to consciousness. I'm glad I read this thread!
#42 of 51 Old 10-01-2006, 01:22 PM

When I educate other nurses about circumcision and genital integrity, I will introduce and parenthetically explain the term with my first use of it, something like, "Today we're going to go over care of the intact (or non-circumcised) penis". AFter that I will use the term intact predominantly but also intersperse it with the terms non-circumcised or not circumcised interchangeably, as a way to get them used to the term intact, without it sticking out like a sore thumb. Believe me, most mainstream nurses are not going to have ever heard the term "intact penis" before, any more than the general public. But I think with a group of health care professionals, it's better to ease them into it matter-of-factly, rather than shoving the politics of it in their faces.

[I know a nurse at my hosptial who didn't circumcise her son, though is not an activist. When I refer to her son as being intact, she laughs and thinks it sounds funny. ???]

I will often use the phrase "NORMAL intact penis". Associating the two words in the same phrase, normalizes intactness in people's minds, and maybe gets them thinking that there is something very ABnormal about penises that have been surgically altered..

I definitely do NOT use the word UNcircumcised, as I feel it semantically implies something that should be but isn't (as in"unwashed"), or that circumcision is the norm to which unaltered genitals should be compared (instead of the other way around).

I think "non-circumcised", "not circumcised", "isn't circumcised" do not carry this connotation. To me, they are more just a statement of physical fact rather than carrying any implication. I don't mind using them on occasion where it works better with the audience or the sentence structure. The word "intact" often gets you blank stares. I think the priority is to educate and communicate effectively, so I stay flexible.

Gillian
#43 of 51 Old 10-01-2006, 01:50 PM

I always use "intact" to refer to the natural, normal, whole penis. The only situation where "uncircumcised" DOESN'T bother me is referring to a restored foreskin because then it was circumcised and UNcircumcised

I think "uncircumcised" is from the Bible actually... but that's all I'll say about that lest we get the thread shut down :

"Unmutilated" doesn't bother me though :

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#44 of 51 Old 10-01-2006, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Out of the two, I prefer the word 'intact' for all the reasons given, but when I'm talking to someone who is clueless about circumcision I use 'uncircumcised' and 'intact' interchangably because I'm always worried they won't understand what I mean by 'intact'.

Personally, I don't like either term. It's only because we live in a culture that sees children as property for their parents to do as they wish that we need to have any term to differentiate between normal and altered infant genitalia. I think we should push the word 'penis' to describe the normal state and 'surgically-changed/altered penis' to describe a circumicised penis. I realize this may be painful for some of the men on here who were circumcised as infants, but I think we need to be a bit more hardhitting than we are.

~Nay

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
#45 of 51 Old 10-01-2006, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_goldman View Post
Thanks for bringing this up, Greenie. It is a really important point, and I don't think I would have ever brought this to consciousness. I'm glad I read this thread!
No problem.. I just kept seeing "Uncircumsiced" over and over... And I just couldn't explain fully why it made my stomach turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glongley View Post
When I educate other nurses about circumcision and genital integrity, I will introduce and parenthetically explain the term with my first use of it, something like, "Today we're going to go over care of the intact (or non-circumcised) penis". AFter that I will use the term intact predominantly but also intersperse it with the terms non-circumcised or not circumcised interchangeably, as a way to get them used to the term intact, without it sticking out like a sore thumb. Believe me, most mainstream nurses are not going to have ever heard the term "intact penis" before, any more than the general public. But I think with a group of health care professionals, it's better to ease them into it matter-of-factly, rather than shoving the politics of it in their faces.

[I know a nurse at my hosptial who didn't circumcise her son, though is not an activist. When I refer to her son as being intact, she laughs and thinks it sounds funny. ???]

I will often use the phrase "NORMAL intact penis". Associating the two words in the same phrase, normalizes intactness in people's minds, and maybe gets them thinking that there is something very ABnormal about penises that have been surgically altered..

I definitely do NOT use the word UNcircumcised, as I feel it semantically implies something that should be but isn't (as in"unwashed"), or that circumcision is the norm to which unaltered genitals should be compared (instead of the other way around).

I think "non-circumcised", "not circumcised", "isn't circumcised" do not carry this connotation. To me, they are more just a statement of physical fact rather than carrying any implication. I don't mind using them on occasion where it works better with the audience or the sentence structure. The word "intact" often gets you blank stares. I think the priority is to educate and communicate effectively, so I stay flexible.

Gillian
That's AWESOME!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoninBeGonin View Post
Out of the two, I prefer the word 'intact' for all the reasons given, but when I'm talking to someone who is clueless about circumcision I use 'uncircumcised' and 'intact' interchangably because I'm always worried they won't understand what I mean by 'intact'.

Personally, I don't like either term. It's only because we live in a culture that sees children as property for their parents to do as they wish that we need to have any term to differentiate between normal and altered infant genitalia. I think we should push the word 'penis' to describe the normal state and 'surgically-changed/altered penis' to describe a circumicised penis. I realize this may be painful for some of the men on here who were circumcised as infants, but I think we need to be a bit more hardhitting than we are.

~Nay
Yep. I agree. I think that it's important to tell the world (well, the USA, anyway..) that it isn't normal to perform plastic surgery on your baby's winky.
#46 of 51 Old 10-01-2006, 03:49 PM

#47 of 51 Old 10-01-2006, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara vanÆsir View Post
sometimes "un" isn't bad. The Dutch word for circumcised is besneden, and uncicumcised is onbesneden. But those words literally roughly into "has been cut" and " has not been cut". In this case I don't see "on/un" as a bad thing.

But yes, the word uncircumcised does bother me.
See, that's nice! It literally means "Has not been cut"!!
#48 of 51 Old 10-01-2006, 04:06 PM

I almost always refer to his penis as intact or in the original packaging I like how people saw normal intact, it is a nice relation to have between the two words. I know what post you were talking about when you refered to shortening it to circed and I agree with you!
#49 of 51 Old 10-01-2006, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonsMom View Post
I almost always refer to his penis as intact or in the original packaging I like how people saw normal intact, it is a nice relation to have between the two words. I know what post you were talking about when you refered to shortening it to circed and I agree with you!
: I'm going to borrow that.
#50 of 51 Old 10-01-2006, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalice View Post
Intact all the way!!

My son is not un- anything. Nothing is missing. It's all there.

Well said!!
#51 of 51 Old 10-01-2006, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telle Bear View Post
Well said!!
Yep.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page