Does this word bother you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-30-2006, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Uncircumsiced.

I call it intact.. Saying "uncircumsiced" makes me feel like there's something undone about it.. Like Circumcision is the norm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2006, 02:39 PM

Yeah, "uncircumcised" isn't really accurate. I always say intact. "Uncircumcising" would be restoring, right?

Blessed mama of four
::
Old 09-30-2006, 02:52 PM

I hate it, and i find it somewhat sad when parents get angry that their children are not considered "intact" becuase they have circed. If you wanted your child whole, all you had to do was say "no thanks" when asked if you wanted a piece taken off their penis.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I hate it, and i find it somewhat sad when parents get angry that their children are not considered "intact" becuase they have circed. If you wanted your child whole, all you had to do was say "no thanks" when asked if you wanted a piece taken off their penis.
: I know a mama that is offended by the word "intact" because it makes it sound like her circumcised sons are missing something. :

Blessed mama of four
::
Old 09-30-2006, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandals View Post
THANK YOU!!! At the hospital, I gave the nurse who was admitting me the look of 1000 Deaths by DAGGERS when she asked if we were going to circumsice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemelos View Post
: I know a mama that is offended by the word "intact" because it makes it sound like her circumcised sons are missing something. :
Well, THEY ARE! I refuse to sugarcoat these things for parents who made decisions that weren't in the (medical, scientific, moral) right. :

Have you explained to her that THEY ARE?
Old 09-30-2006, 03:26 PM

Yup, a few days ago DP took DS to the pedi's for a yeast infection. I wasn't going (didn't feel well at ALL) so I made him repeat back to me what I told him to tell the pedi. LOL And he used the word "uncircumcised". I was like "don't use THAT word, it makes it sound like that circ'd is the "normal" way. Plus "un" makes it negative, like they were circ'd first, and THEN they were intact.

I do also believe that using "intact" ruffles feathers. I guess the people that circ don't want to hear it in a positive connotation because then that means the circ'd is that negative one.

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

Old 09-30-2006, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
Yup, a few days ago DP took DS to the pedi's for a yeast infection. I wasn't going (didn't feel well at ALL) so I made him repeat back to me what I told him to tell the pedi. LOL And he used the word "uncircumcised". I was like "don't use THAT word, it makes it sound like that circ'd is the "normal" way. Plus "un" makes it negative, like they were circ'd first, and THEN they were intact.

I do also believe that using "intact" ruffles feathers. I guess the people that circ don't want to hear it in a positive connotation because then that means the circ'd is that negative one.
Eeeh. oh well.. They made the decision, after all.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:40 PM

Did you know that in autopsy reports, intact men are listed as uncircumcised?

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
Old 09-30-2006, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
Ugh......
Old 09-30-2006, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Hmm, I bet they aren't listed like that in other countries. :

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

Old 09-30-2006, 04:09 PM

And, while we're at it, the medical term for a woman who has had a complete hysterectomy is "Female castrate". Baybee
Old 09-30-2006, 04:20 PM

Niiiiiice.

Yes, "uncircumcised" bothers me. I always use "intact" now, thanks to this forum. AND, on a somewhat related note, because of a recent thread, I always spell out "Circumcision" instead of using "circ'! Others pointed out that shortening it can remove the impact of the word, especially since you don't say the part that means "CUT!" (-cision) "Circ" sounds too cutesy for such a horrible act.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

Old 09-30-2006, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lula's Mom View Post
Niiiiiice.

Yes, "uncircumcised" bothers me. I always use "intact" now, thanks to this forum. AND, on a somewhat related note, because of a recent thread, I always spell out "Circumcision" instead of using "circ'! Others pointed out that shortening it can remove the impact of the word, especially since you don't say the part that means "CUT!" (-cision) "Circ" sounds too cutesy for such a horrible act.
Thanks! I never thought of it like that.

Now I'm off to edit all of my posts....
Old 09-30-2006, 04:47 PM

I had never thought of it that way either. These people will make you think!

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

Old 09-30-2006, 04:48 PM

I never use it...I mean - do we women talk about our uncircumcised vaginas?

I use the word intact.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:00 PM

I've always said uncircumcised without even thinking about it. Thanks for bringing it up- my boys will be known as "intact" from now on!

Homeschooling mom of 2 rambunctious, loving, spectacular boys, wife to an incredible man who has been my best friend on this journey <3

Old 09-30-2006, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blsilva View Post
I've always said uncircumcised without even thinking about it. Thanks for bringing it up- my boys will be known as "intact" from now on!
Mine too.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:13 PM

I always spell out and say circumcision and always (as far as I can remember) refer to whole men as either whole, intact or natural.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
Old 09-30-2006, 05:13 PM

It bother me because it sounds stupid when it is said. Intact sounds better and normal, is uncircumcised even a real word, or is it made up?
Old 09-30-2006, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I always spell out and say circumcision and always (as far as I can remember) refer to whole men as either whole, intact or natural.
Yeah.... I am going to referto DS as "natarally intact".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemy2ds View Post
It bother me because it sounds stupid when it is said. Intact sounds better and normal, is uncircumcised even a real word, or is it made up?
I dunno... Sounds stinky to me.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:41 PM

I use intact and non-circumcised. Uncircumcised sounds like you're waiting for it to still happen.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan1097 View Post
I use intact and non-circumcised. Uncircumcised sounds like you're waiting for it to still happen.
Yeah. That is true!
Old 09-30-2006, 05:49 PM

I use intact, because that's what my son is. Intact, intact, intact, intact.

Some people will say that they are offended by the slightest thing, going so far as to accuse those who use "intact" as attacking little circumcised boys. That is a pathetic ploy because it then leaves someone in the position to defend themselves against an argument that was never made in the first place.

I'm offended by circumcision on a non-consenting person : and I'm tired of the constant censoring or argument about the word intact and how it makes someone who did allow for circumcison feel. Cripes! It's not about YOU!: Get over yourself, already.

ftr; I am not talking about people who have allowed for circumcision and now regret it or who wouldn't do it again. I'm talking about people who get their panties all in a wad about the word "intact" because of their defensiveness over an action, on a non-consenting person, that I abhor.

irt the word circumcision, I type it in full and for the same reasons as noted above. Uncircumcised sounds like being circumcised is natural; it ain't. Being intact is the default position, and if someone is troubled with that word, they need to take a look at their position and ask why.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper-Bag-Princess View Post
I use intact, because that's what my son is. Intact, intact, intact, intact.

Some people will say that they are offended by the slightest thing, going so far as to accuse those who use "intact" as attacking little circumcised boys. That is a pathetic ploy because it then leaves someone in the position to defend themselves against an argument that was never made in the first place.

I'm offended by circumcision on a non-consenting person : and I'm tired of the constant censoring or argument about the word intact and how it makes someone who did allow for circumcison feel. Cripes! It's not about YOU!: Get over yourself, already.

ftr; I am not talking about people who have allowed for circumcision and now regret it or who wouldn't do it again. I'm talking about people who get their panties all in a wad about the word "intact" because of their defensiveness over an action, on a non-consenting person, that I abhor.

irt the word circumcision, I type it in full and for the same reasons as noted above. Uncircumcised sounds like being circumcised is natural; it ain't. Being intact is the default position, and if someone is troubled with that word, they need to take a look at their position and ask why.
So True!!
Old 09-30-2006, 06:11 PM

I do try to refer to whole men as intact, but old habits die slow....so sometimes I slip back. However, I do agree that uncircumcised does have anegative ring to it.

As far as spelling circumcision out...I don't usually on this forum, because we all know that it's not cutesy, or not to be taken seriously. It's just easier and I have an 8 month old to run after, so if it saves my 1/2 a second I do it....Hope that doesn't offend
Old 09-30-2006, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telle Bear View Post
I do try to refer to whole men as intact, but old habits die slow....so sometimes I slip back. However, I do agree that uncircumcised does have anegative ring to it.

As far as spelling circumcision out...I don't usually on this forum, because we all know that it's not cutesy, or not to be taken seriously. It's just easier and I have an 8 month old to run after, so if it saves my 1/2 a second I do it....Hope that doesn't offend
It doesn't.. Not me, anyway.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:56 PM

Even if it was "Non-circumcised" I would find it tolerable...

But in all honesty I just find it a little illogical: my genitals are also "Uneunicified", and "Uncastrated" but despite the fact that such things can and do happen to genitals pretty often (and did on a regular basis in the past in some cultures) does not mean I should make their absense of modification a defining feature.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:24 PM

When referring to the penis itself, I almost always use 'natural' or 'normal'. When discussing an individual person, I use 'intact'.

It's interesting that in the early days of Internet discussion and debate, 'uncircumcised' was invariably used.

Christopher

Education is the discovery of our own ignorance. Will Durant

"You give a little love and it all comes back to you....

You know you gonna be remembered for the things you say and do."

Bugsy Malone

Old 09-30-2006, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lula's Mom View Post
Niiiiiice.

Ditto every single word.

In fact, the word 'uncircumcised' is one of my biggest pet peeves.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:01 PM

As soon as I read the word intact on this forum, it rang true and I've used it ever since.

I never before thought about the whole word vs. the shortened version, but I think I've always used circumcision in emails and other forums simply because I have to assume that other people wouldn't understand what circ was short for.

User Tag List