Does this word bother you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
 
Greenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 2,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Uncircumsiced.

I call it intact.. Saying "uncircumsiced" makes me feel like there's something undone about it.. Like Circumcision is the norm.
Greenie is offline  
#2 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 01:39 PM
 
mama_at_home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, "uncircumcised" isn't really accurate. I always say intact. "Uncircumcising" would be restoring, right?

Blessed mama of four
::
mama_at_home is offline  
#3 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 01:52 PM
 
sandals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hate it, and i find it somewhat sad when parents get angry that their children are not considered "intact" becuase they have circed. If you wanted your child whole, all you had to do was say "no thanks" when asked if you wanted a piece taken off their penis.
sandals is offline  
#4 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 02:11 PM
 
mama_at_home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I hate it, and i find it somewhat sad when parents get angry that their children are not considered "intact" becuase they have circed. If you wanted your child whole, all you had to do was say "no thanks" when asked if you wanted a piece taken off their penis.
: I know a mama that is offended by the word "intact" because it makes it sound like her circumcised sons are missing something. :

Blessed mama of four
::
mama_at_home is offline  
#5 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
 
Greenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 2,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandals View Post
I hate it, and i find it somewhat sad when parents get angry that their children are not considered "intact" becuase they have circed. If you wanted your child whole, all you had to do was say "no thanks" when asked if you wanted a piece taken off their penis.
THANK YOU!!! At the hospital, I gave the nurse who was admitting me the look of 1000 Deaths by DAGGERS when she asked if we were going to circumsice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemelos View Post
: I know a mama that is offended by the word "intact" because it makes it sound like her circumcised sons are missing something. :
Well, THEY ARE! I refuse to sugarcoat these things for parents who made decisions that weren't in the (medical, scientific, moral) right. :

Have you explained to her that THEY ARE?
Greenie is offline  
#6 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 02:26 PM
 
urchin_grey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bowling Green, KY
Posts: 1,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yup, a few days ago DP took DS to the pedi's for a yeast infection. I wasn't going (didn't feel well at ALL) so I made him repeat back to me what I told him to tell the pedi. LOL And he used the word "uncircumcised". I was like "don't use THAT word, it makes it sound like that circ'd is the "normal" way. Plus "un" makes it negative, like they were circ'd first, and THEN they were intact.

I do also believe that using "intact" ruffles feathers. I guess the people that circ don't want to hear it in a positive connotation because then that means the circ'd is that negative one.

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

urchin_grey is offline  
#7 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
 
Greenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 2,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
Yup, a few days ago DP took DS to the pedi's for a yeast infection. I wasn't going (didn't feel well at ALL) so I made him repeat back to me what I told him to tell the pedi. LOL And he used the word "uncircumcised". I was like "don't use THAT word, it makes it sound like that circ'd is the "normal" way. Plus "un" makes it negative, like they were circ'd first, and THEN they were intact.

I do also believe that using "intact" ruffles feathers. I guess the people that circ don't want to hear it in a positive connotation because then that means the circ'd is that negative one.
Eeeh. oh well.. They made the decision, after all.
Greenie is offline  
#8 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 02:40 PM
 
Fyrestorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did you know that in autopsy reports, intact men are listed as uncircumcised?

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
Fyrestorm is offline  
#9 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
 
Greenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 2,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
Did you know that in autopsy reports, intact men are listed as uncircumcised?
Ugh......
Greenie is offline  
#10 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 03:08 PM
 
urchin_grey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bowling Green, KY
Posts: 1,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
Did you know that in autopsy reports, intact men are listed as uncircumcised?
Hmm, I bet they aren't listed like that in other countries. :

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

urchin_grey is offline  
#11 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 03:09 PM
 
baybee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And, while we're at it, the medical term for a woman who has had a complete hysterectomy is "Female castrate". Baybee
baybee is offline  
#12 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 03:20 PM
 
Lula's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 4,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Niiiiiice.

Yes, "uncircumcised" bothers me. I always use "intact" now, thanks to this forum. AND, on a somewhat related note, because of a recent thread, I always spell out "Circumcision" instead of using "circ'! Others pointed out that shortening it can remove the impact of the word, especially since you don't say the part that means "CUT!" (-cision) "Circ" sounds too cutesy for such a horrible act.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

Lula's Mom is offline  
#13 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
 
Greenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 2,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lula's Mom View Post
Niiiiiice.

Yes, "uncircumcised" bothers me. I always use "intact" now, thanks to this forum. AND, on a somewhat related note, because of a recent thread, I always spell out "Circumcision" instead of using "circ'! Others pointed out that shortening it can remove the impact of the word, especially since you don't say the part that means "CUT!" (-cision) "Circ" sounds too cutesy for such a horrible act.
Thanks! I never thought of it like that.

Now I'm off to edit all of my posts....
Greenie is offline  
#14 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 03:47 PM
 
Lula's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 4,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had never thought of it that way either. These people will make you think!

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

Lula's Mom is offline  
#15 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 03:48 PM
 
kxsiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I never use it...I mean - do we women talk about our uncircumcised vaginas?

I use the word intact.
kxsiven is offline  
#16 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 04:00 PM
 
blsilva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: California
Posts: 2,088
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've always said uncircumcised without even thinking about it. Thanks for bringing it up- my boys will be known as "intact" from now on!

Homeschooling mom of 2 rambunctious, loving, spectacular boys, wife to an incredible man who has been my best friend on this journey <3

 

 

blsilva is offline  
#17 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
 
Greenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 2,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blsilva View Post
I've always said uncircumcised without even thinking about it. Thanks for bringing it up- my boys will be known as "intact" from now on!
Mine too.
Greenie is offline  
#18 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 04:13 PM
 
Fyrestorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I always spell out and say circumcision and always (as far as I can remember) refer to whole men as either whole, intact or natural.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
Fyrestorm is offline  
#19 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 04:13 PM
 
Bartock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It bother me because it sounds stupid when it is said. Intact sounds better and normal, is uncircumcised even a real word, or is it made up?
Bartock is offline  
#20 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
 
Greenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 2,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
I always spell out and say circumcision and always (as far as I can remember) refer to whole men as either whole, intact or natural.
Yeah.... I am going to referto DS as "natarally intact".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemy2ds View Post
It bother me because it sounds stupid when it is said. Intact sounds better and normal, is uncircumcised even a real word, or is it made up?
I dunno... Sounds stinky to me.
Greenie is offline  
#21 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 04:41 PM
 
Nathan1097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Senior-Title-Less!
Posts: 3,534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use intact and non-circumcised. Uncircumcised sounds like you're waiting for it to still happen.
Nathan1097 is offline  
#22 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
 
Greenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 2,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan1097 View Post
I use intact and non-circumcised. Uncircumcised sounds like you're waiting for it to still happen.
Yeah. That is true!
Greenie is offline  
#23 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 04:49 PM
 
Paper-Bag-Princess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In Annoyance, how 'bout you?
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use intact, because that's what my son is. Intact, intact, intact, intact.

Some people will say that they are offended by the slightest thing, going so far as to accuse those who use "intact" as attacking little circumcised boys. That is a pathetic ploy because it then leaves someone in the position to defend themselves against an argument that was never made in the first place.

I'm offended by circumcision on a non-consenting person : and I'm tired of the constant censoring or argument about the word intact and how it makes someone who did allow for circumcison feel. Cripes! It's not about YOU!: Get over yourself, already.

ftr; I am not talking about people who have allowed for circumcision and now regret it or who wouldn't do it again. I'm talking about people who get their panties all in a wad about the word "intact" because of their defensiveness over an action, on a non-consenting person, that I abhor.

irt the word circumcision, I type it in full and for the same reasons as noted above. Uncircumcised sounds like being circumcised is natural; it ain't. Being intact is the default position, and if someone is troubled with that word, they need to take a look at their position and ask why.
Paper-Bag-Princess is offline  
#24 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
 
Greenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 2,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper-Bag-Princess View Post
I use intact, because that's what my son is. Intact, intact, intact, intact.

Some people will say that they are offended by the slightest thing, going so far as to accuse those who use "intact" as attacking little circumcised boys. That is a pathetic ploy because it then leaves someone in the position to defend themselves against an argument that was never made in the first place.

I'm offended by circumcision on a non-consenting person : and I'm tired of the constant censoring or argument about the word intact and how it makes someone who did allow for circumcison feel. Cripes! It's not about YOU!: Get over yourself, already.

ftr; I am not talking about people who have allowed for circumcision and now regret it or who wouldn't do it again. I'm talking about people who get their panties all in a wad about the word "intact" because of their defensiveness over an action, on a non-consenting person, that I abhor.

irt the word circumcision, I type it in full and for the same reasons as noted above. Uncircumcised sounds like being circumcised is natural; it ain't. Being intact is the default position, and if someone is troubled with that word, they need to take a look at their position and ask why.
So True!!
Greenie is offline  
#25 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 05:11 PM
 
Telle Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Eliot Maine
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do try to refer to whole men as intact, but old habits die slow....so sometimes I slip back. However, I do agree that uncircumcised does have anegative ring to it.

As far as spelling circumcision out...I don't usually on this forum, because we all know that it's not cutesy, or not to be taken seriously. It's just easier and I have an 8 month old to run after, so if it saves my 1/2 a second I do it....Hope that doesn't offend
Telle Bear is offline  
#26 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
 
Greenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 2,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telle Bear View Post
I do try to refer to whole men as intact, but old habits die slow....so sometimes I slip back. However, I do agree that uncircumcised does have anegative ring to it.

As far as spelling circumcision out...I don't usually on this forum, because we all know that it's not cutesy, or not to be taken seriously. It's just easier and I have an 8 month old to run after, so if it saves my 1/2 a second I do it....Hope that doesn't offend
It doesn't.. Not me, anyway.
Greenie is offline  
#27 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 05:56 PM
 
Revamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Even if it was "Non-circumcised" I would find it tolerable...

But in all honesty I just find it a little illogical: my genitals are also "Uneunicified", and "Uncastrated" but despite the fact that such things can and do happen to genitals pretty often (and did on a regular basis in the past in some cultures) does not mean I should make their absense of modification a defining feature.
Revamp is offline  
#28 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 06:24 PM
 
Islay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Deal, Kent, England
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When referring to the penis itself, I almost always use 'natural' or 'normal'. When discussing an individual person, I use 'intact'.

It's interesting that in the early days of Internet discussion and debate, 'uncircumcised' was invariably used.

Christopher

Education is the discovery of our own ignorance. Will Durant

 

"You give a little love and it all comes back to you....

You know you gonna be remembered for the things you say and do."

Bugsy Malone

 

 

Islay is offline  
#29 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 08:51 PM
 
LadyMarmalade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: anywhere but Stepford
Posts: 3,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lula's Mom View Post
Niiiiiice.

Yes, "uncircumcised" bothers me. I always use "intact" now, thanks to this forum. AND, on a somewhat related note, because of a recent thread, I always spell out "Circumcision" instead of using "circ'! Others pointed out that shortening it can remove the impact of the word, especially since you don't say the part that means "CUT!" (-cision) "Circ" sounds too cutesy for such a horrible act.
Ditto every single word.

In fact, the word 'uncircumcised' is one of my biggest pet peeves.
LadyMarmalade is offline  
#30 of 51 Old 09-30-2006, 09:01 PM
 
Stevie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
Posts: 1,627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As soon as I read the word intact on this forum, it rang true and I've used it ever since.

I never before thought about the whole word vs. the shortened version, but I think I've always used circumcision in emails and other forums simply because I have to assume that other people wouldn't understand what circ was short for.
Stevie is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off