ER Hint - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-06-2006, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday my son had a 'seizure' from a high fever so they wanted to do 'butt temperatures and the 'nurse' wanted me to hand him over and I go 'no' just do the 'back of him by keeping his 'front gentilia 'covered up facing my tummy -while i was holding onto him. I wasn't going to 'risk' any curiousity and I did that again it came through okay just of having me do that.

So if you have kids instead of 'asking them to lay down or try to hand them to the nurse 'strip their diaper down and make sure it's only their 'butt' that is in view' .
#2 of 16 Old 10-06-2006, 01:17 PM

#3 of 16 Old 10-06-2006, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

They said with a 'seizure they had to do it 'rectally' even a friend who was with us who's a former EMT asked about Ear temp and the nurse said 'rectally is more 'accurate than the 'ear/armpit/oral for young kids.

I hated to have my son to 'end up getting a 'temp up the butt' would have 'preferred it to be a 'ear one.
#4 of 16 Old 10-06-2006, 01:31 PM

#5 of 16 Old 10-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins10705 View Post
Personally, I wouldn't take my child's temperature through the butt unless he were a sick or preemie small baby. It is the most acurate way supposedly -- but even when I was deathly ill in the hospital, they didn't jab a thermometer up my rectum. They can take it a few times in the ear or mouth if they want to be extra careful.

I had a bad experience when I was 5 or 6 and in the doctor's office because I had a cold or flu. I couldn't breathe well through my mouth and I was tired so I resisted just slightly when they were putting the thermometer under my tongue -- so they got angry, grabbed me, flipped me over, pulled down my pants and totally violated me with that thermometer. Later, my mom caught me drawing pictures of animals getting poked in the butt with sharp things...of course she beat me for it, but the point is, it was totally traumatizing to me and I just couldn't allow it for my children unless they were sick little babies and an accurate temp couldn't be properly taken another way.
Holy Carp you had some real crappy Drs when you were a kid...
#6 of 16 Old 10-06-2006, 02:15 PM

#7 of 16 Old 10-06-2006, 02:19 PM

MommytoB, hows your ds doing? My ds has had 3 febrile seizures - they can be very scary....
Take care.
#8 of 16 Old 10-06-2006, 03:20 PM

twins, I had such a similar experience!

I went to the doctor, when I was about 6-8 yo. I don't remember if it was a check-up or if I was sick. Anyway, there was a nurse there that I didn't know. Mind you, this was a tiny town and I usually knew everyone at the doc's office. So, anyway, she was unpleasant at best, forced me to undress and do a rectal temp, all while I protested and said, "But I've been doing it in my mouth for a long time now!" She forced me to accept the rectal temp and well...I've never gotten over my anger and the awful intrusion over that!

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#9 of 16 Old 10-06-2006, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Past_VNE View Post
twins, I had such a similar experience!

I went to the doctor, when I was about 6-8 yo. I don't remember if it was a check-up or if I was sick. Anyway, there was a nurse there that I didn't know. Mind you, this was a tiny town and I usually knew everyone at the doc's office. So, anyway, she was unpleasant at best, forced me to undress and do a rectal temp, all while I protested and said, "But I've been doing it in my mouth for a long time now!" She forced me to accept the rectal temp and well...I've never gotten over my anger and the awful intrusion over that!
Ir emember being about 3 and screaming at the doctors in the ER to let me do my temp by mouth. It was really awful.

I'm almost 30, and I still remember very clearly.
#10 of 16 Old 10-06-2006, 05:06 PM

Ruby, come to think of it...I may have been younger than 6. The event is vivid in my mind, but the age is not.

No matter the exact age, the treatment I got in that event was SO WRONG, so violating. It makes me sad for myself....sad to think just how much worse the circumcision violation is. Off to have a good cry now, I think.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#11 of 16 Old 10-06-2006, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoB View Post
They said with a 'seizure they had to do it 'rectally' even a friend who was with us who's a former EMT asked about Ear temp and the nurse said 'rectally is more 'accurate than the 'ear/armpit/oral for young kids.

I hated to have my son to 'end up getting a 'temp up the butt' would have 'preferred it to be a 'ear one.

I hope you know that you really do have the final say. Yes, rectal temps are most accurate but under the arm + one degree is also very accurate. I just wanted to say that YOU get to decide. If you are fine with rectal temps then that's one thing but you do not ever have to let them do something you are not comfortable with.

I did not allow rectal temps when my son was born. My midwife was very nice about it and we got accurate temps under his arm. When we discussed it prenatally she tried to assure me that he wouldn't be hurt at all. I said I knew she would not hurt him but to me it was an issue of bodies being private.

Unless temps from everywhere else are inconclusive I don't think rectal temps should be done. Frankly, they just creep me out.
#12 of 16 Old 10-06-2006, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenjall View Post
MommytoB, hows your ds doing? My ds has had 3 febrile seizures - they can be very scary....
Take care.
He's definetly doing better it was definetly a 'very 'scary thing. I know what 'seizures are' and I know my son had one I'm for sure he had one a bit earlier though but oh this reminded me of the time when I was giving a bath to my brother-seriously it was me only in the 'bathroom' and my mom was talking on the phone. My brother I think was maybe 3 yrs or around 4 so that could had made me either 7 or 8 yrs . My brother 'froze zombie like in the 'bathtub' and I ran told my mom she ran with phone 'still in her hands she got him out then that was when he was convulsing beneath the woody woodpecker towel she said on the phone I gotta go my son is seizing.

Then she called the doc to meet her in the ER and I don't think I always went with her when my bro had seizures.
#13 of 16 Old 10-06-2006, 06:37 PM

Twins10705 What a terrible experience! I'm so sorry your mom reacted that way, too.

Blessed mama of four
::
#14 of 16 Old 10-06-2006, 10:25 PM

I'm glad to hear he's doing better! How are you doing?
#15 of 16 Old 10-06-2006, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Relived but definetly glad that it's just a 'viral infection' and no 'bacterial' but hate it when he's sick. But he's never sick for that long.
#16 of 16 Old 10-07-2006, 04:37 PM

Hang in there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page