Observed a RIC yesterday - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 69 Old 10-27-2006, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If the parents don't want to hear it..and refuse to be present, obviously they know its horrible too!!! The logic just doesn't make sense to me!!:

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#62 of 69 Old 10-27-2006, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnmom View Post
If the parents don't want to hear it..and refuse to be present, obviously they know its horrible too!!! The logic just doesn't make sense to me!!:
nothing about ric makes sense

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
#63 of 69 Old 10-28-2006, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intactguy57 View Post
Yea; I bet this doctor did this circ for FREE just so she could be soothing, kind and loving after all she said it was not her fault that she was skinning his penis without his consent all the way to the bank. Bullsh*#@!! What about a nationwide BOYCOTT of circumcision by the nurses and staff, now this would make difference in a hurry, ain't going to happen to much money involved.
This post is so reactionary. I don't think you are accomplishing anything with this attitude. It's okay to have righteous anger, but it seems like you are getting lost in yours. I agree that a boycott would be great, but we can't change the world from where we want it to be, we have to work on changing it from where it is. A nationwide boycott is totally unrealistic and you are wasting energy being angry that it's not happening *right this very second* that could be spent actually making a difference. It seems like you are very passionate. I really hope you can focus that into change that works.
#64 of 69 Old 10-29-2006, 06:44 PM

That is sad.It seems the parents were very insensitive about the whole thing.At the very least I would have told the parents they will have to be in the room and watch if they wanted it done otherwise get the hell out of our facility and find someone else willing to mutilate him.
#65 of 69 Old 10-29-2006, 06:48 PM

How terribly sad. I just don't understand it.

At the very least, you can know that he got compassion from you and the doctor. So many baby boys don't get even an ounce of compassion from those doing the "procedure".
#66 of 69 Old 10-29-2006, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyveronica View Post
I actually called the MD's office today to talk to her more about it and she actually returned my call (!). She told me her personal reasoning for not saying no to parents is that she worries that if she doesn't, and they really want it done, it may not get done in a sterile, safe way-- she made the analogy of keeping abortion safe & legal.
The problem with that argument is that it applies not just as well but in fact much, much more so to female genital mutilation. If the parents really want that done, it is far more likely to not happen in a sterile, safe way.

If you get and take the opportunity to point that out to her, I'd love to hear what she says in response.

Quote:
And one of the reasons I want to be a nurse and will be a nurse is so I can object and say no and hopefully help to make a difference.

Because I stayed and watched the whole thing I am even more responsible to work to eradicate the procedures.

This moment in my life was not in vain. And for those of you who know nothing about me except for that story (obviously) have every right to feel the way you feel about me-- be that angry, disgusted, sad. I personally feel sick.

But I will not walk away from nursing.
Good for you. I'm easily one of the harshest, coldest, most judgemental, most arrogant, and most self-righteous posters on this board, but you know what? I don't have the slightest problem with you or your actions.

I think you're doing just fine.
#67 of 69 Old 10-29-2006, 11:11 PM

Oh Andrew, I don't think of you as harsh or cold, just low-bull$h!t . (And I think she's doing fine, too ).
#68 of 69 Old 10-30-2006, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Back to clinicals tomorrow and wed and I hope to be starting a new thread about my experiences with the staff and patients.

I'm ready to ask the staff some very pointed questions and if I have the opportunity, to do some patient teaching PRIOR to any procedures.
#69 of 69 Old 11-01-2006, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Back to clinicals tomorrow and wed and I hope to be starting a new thread about my experiences with the staff and patients.

I'm ready to ask the staff some very pointed questions and if I have the opportunity, to do some patient teaching PRIOR to any procedures.
Good. Efforts like yours are priceless.

As a sexually mutilated male (and done without consent at that), speaking on behalf of both all the little boys who have been sexually mutilated already, and those at risk of being sexually mutilated in the future,

THANK YOU.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page