Observed a RIC yesterday - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-26-2006, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a nursing student and am currently doing my OB clinical rotation. I am doing it at a pretty progressive hospital in my area. All morning the nurses, techs and Dr's were dreading it. I was amazed and impressed and horrified all at the same time.

The unit has mountains of anti-circ literature and parents are indeed counseled on the practice. Well, one family wanted it any way.

They asked the staff to make the room as sound proof as possible so they couldn't hear their baby : and neither one elected to be present.

The baby was soooo sweet and beautiful and perfect, totally oblivious that he was about to lose a precious part of his body. I wanted to grab him and run out of the hospital.

The on-duty tech refused to strap him to the board till the last second and she practically spit when she showed me the sucrose used for "pain relief". She has been working on the unit for 30 years and said she assists with the procedures because she feels so much love for the babies that she thinks they know she's there for them.

When the surgeon came in, the tech strapped the baby down and the Dr. leaned in and told him that she was sorry. She used lidocane to numb the area and the baby SCREAMED when his tiny penis was injected. The Dr. said "don't me mad at me, blame your parents".

The whole thing took just a few minutes and after the lidocane, the baby never moved or so much as made a peep.

His penis looked awful. So red and swolen and unnatural. I was crying but had to get it together to bring the baby back and explain to the parents how to care for his wound at home. I was shaking the whole time. It was awful.

Before I left, I asked the Dr why she did it if she's against it and she really didn't have an answer except to say that it's her job.

I find it hard to believe that this birthing center is opposed to RIC but they do it anyway. That everyone on staff loathes the procedures but they don't change policy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2006, 12:56 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It sounds just awful! Those poor babies. Hopefully the dr. will eventually take a stand and start refusing to do these terrible procedures.

Blessed mama of four
::
Old 10-26-2006, 12:56 PM

i'm so sorry to read that.

in a way the reason the drs still do it is for the same reason you felt you had to put yourself together for the family

If that one doctor said no, there's no reason the family couldn't have it done elsewhere...

That's all just very sad. I;m sorry you had to witness it, but maybe there's a way you can 'enlighten' them about how ridiculous it actually might seem

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
Old 10-26-2006, 01:02 PM

Ah, that's awful, the poor baby. At least it's progress, that the medical professionals recongnize how dehumanizing & horrific & useless it is. Next step, helping them actualize their understanding- that they CAN tell the parents 'no'.

Thank you, Veronica, for sharing this; it must have been so painful.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:03 PM

um...why isn't this against the law?
Old 10-26-2006, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTail View Post
Ah, that's awful, the poor baby. At least it's progress, that the medical professionals recongnize how dehumanizing & horrific & useless it is. Next step, helping them actualize their understanding- that they CAN tell the parents 'no'.

Thank you, Veronica, for sharing this; it must have been so painful.

I agree that what's needed is for them to take the next leap and start refusing the procedure-- But, would they go somewhere else? To someone not as caring and careful? It's a really horrible situation all around.

It's got to get out to parents and parents to be in a MUCH bigger way that RIC is wrong and cruel. Then they won't ask for it. Period.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:30 PM

(((((Veronica)))))

That must have been so so hard to see. I know that I wouldn't have been able to watch, nor would I have been able to stop myself from saying something to the parents. I'm glad that he had you and that other nurse there for him.

Quote:
If that one doctor said no, there's no reason the family couldn't have it done elsewhere...
Yeah, but maybe if a DOCTOR refused to do it the parents would think twice? Or maybe they just wouldn't get around to finding someone else and then realize (after a week or so) that their son was perfect the way he was? IMO they should have been forced to be there. Strap THEM to a board to watch, and see how they like it. :
Old 10-26-2006, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Before I left, I asked the Dr why she did it if she's against it and she really didn't have an answer except to say that it's her job.
There is such a thing as Conscientious Objectors....but when profits are involved it becomes tricky to be one. Circumcisors make me sick.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:39 PM

I don't know how you were able to keep it together witnesing that :
(After speaking to a mom of two boys who were 40+) She told me that her DR. refused to perform the procedure.. I now think that if more Dr.'s refused, parents would go along with what they recommend. MD's have a tremendous amount of influence over our decisions. If more of them refused to do it and said "why" I think the practice of genital mutilation would be a thing of the past Let's hope
Carolyn
Old 10-26-2006, 02:42 PM
Banned

The Dr could have very well refused.

G-d Forbid the parents wait a few days, weeks, YEARS even to get it done...they're afraid if they see the perfection and acctually have a chance to bond they wont be able to cave to their irrational urge to mutilate.

Wanting to "Git Er Done" there n then means the parents KNEW it was wrong and wanted to get it out of the way before either one changed their minds.

I think that's one of the reasons why I really really hate the fact that up here, it's done as an outpatient procedure and it gives the parents time to premeditate the whole act and save up the acctual cash (since it's a procedure that has to be paid for out of pocket) Makes it seem a hella more cold blooded than a "Get it done now before I can change my mind...because there's a chance I could change it.."
Old 10-26-2006, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is one of the reasons I fear nursing school. I have 4 pre-reqs until I can apply and this very subject has me dreading it. Can a nursing student refuse to participate in this??

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
Old 10-26-2006, 04:00 PM

Man I am so p*#*ed about this post and the outcome. YOU say YOU were against it, the tech was against it and the Dam* doctor was against it, then my question is why did it happen. I really doubt your commitment to males being natural because you went ahead and assisted in the butcher job anyway, the tech had no courage either and what can I say about a dam# doctor that all she can see is dollar signs and can't say "NO" to ediot parents. As a natural man I now understand how this crime continues to happen, heck; even the people who are supposed to be on our side help carry out the crime but really feel bad about it, "wow" that makes me feel better. This kind of post flames me to no end, I'm sorry but I had to say it, I would get out of nursing before I helped do something that I felt was absolutly wrong. So you guys took a bad situation (circ) and made it better for the sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet little victim. I don't get it!!
Old 10-26-2006, 04:06 PM

Doctors and hospitals can refuse to offer RIC. I worked at a Catholic Hospital and the hospital did not dispense or write prescriptions for birth control (even morning after pill, even after rape), did not sterilize either men or women on the premesis, or perform abortions. If a woman was on bc, she was instructed to keep it at bedside and give it to herself even though this was against the med policy so the staff just looked the other way. If they can refuse patients access to these procedures and medications I do not understand why RIC should be any different.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:28 PM

Quote:
IntactGuy: I would get out of nursing before I helped do something that I felt was absolutly wrong
I totally agree with you. I'm sure many feathers will be ruffled by your post....but you speak the truth and I agree with it. We need more people (within the medical community) putting their foot down and refusing to participate in this tribal branding of infant boys. It looks pretty weak if you don't.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intactguy57 View Post
Man I am so p*#*ed about this post and the outcome. YOU say YOU were against it, the tech was against it and the Dam* doctor was against it, then my question is why did it happen. I really doubt your commitment to males being natural because you went ahead and assisted in the butcher job anyway, the tech had no courage either and what can I say about a dam# doctor that all she can see is dollar signs and can't say "NO" to ediot parents. As a natural man I now understand how this crime continues to happen, heck; even the people who are supposed to be on our side help carry out the crime but really feel bad about it, "wow" that makes me feel better. This kind of post flames me to no end, I'm sorry but I had to say it, I would get out of nursing before I helped do something that I felt was absolutly wrong. So you guys took a bad situation (circ) and made it better for the sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet little victim. I don't get it!!
I second this post -- I blame all the "assistants" who did this while knowing how wrong/evil it is more even more than the parents. Sorry, but it makes me sick that you stayed in that room.

Violet
Old 10-26-2006, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyveronica View Post

I find it hard to believe that this birthing center is opposed to RIC but they do it anyway. That everyone on staff loathes the procedures but they don't change policy.
When you are done with your training (and have all of your grades, etc) maybe you can write to this birthing center and dr, and ask them why they are willing to do RIC. If the birthing center refuses to do it, the parents will have to go somewhere else. And some of them will be too busy to bother.

And NYveronica, PLEASE stay in nursing and keep working with newborns. As an RN, you can use your job and influence to try to talk parents out of circing. You can tell the parents: " I witnessed one circ in my training and it hurt the baby greatly. There is no reason to do it." We need more anti-circ nurses in the US.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:55 PM

Ok, I don't post in here, but I have to post to this.

I am so sorry that little boy had that done. BUT, I'm glad it was done with respect so to speak. They waited to strap him down, they spoke to him, said "Im sorry" to him.

Poor baby.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
Old 10-26-2006, 05:06 PM

I don't care how much anti-circ literature the hospital has, and how opposed the tech and doctor are to circ. They are cowards. Spineless cowards.

As long as they consent to circumcise babies, they are complicit in the mutilation of babies. If they do not stop, they are just as guilty and have just as much blood on their hands as the doctors who do it without anesthesia. The doctor who did the cutting is JUST AS MUCH TO BLAME as the parents.

I agree with the above posters -- don't get out of nursing, but DO refuse to participate. If you, the nursing student, can set an example of refusing to participate in a morally abhorrent procedure, maybe some of the other doctors and nurses will grow a freaking spine and start saying NO to genital mutilation.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 10-26-2006, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

It was horrible and I'm not going to observe any more, trust me.

I actually called the MD's office today to talk to her more about it and she actually returned my call (!). She told me her personal reasoning for not saying no to parents is that she worries that if she doesn't, and they really want it done, it may not get done in a sterile, safe way-- she made the analogy of keeping abortion safe & legal.

And one of the reasons I want to be a nurse and will be a nurse is so I can object and say no and hopefully help to make a difference.

Because I stayed and watched the whole thing I am even more responsible to work to eradicate the procedures.

This moment in my life was not in vain. And for those of you who know nothing about me except for that story (obviously) have every right to feel the way you feel about me-- be that angry, disgusted, sad. I personally feel sick.

But I will not walk away from nursing.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:

I actually called the MD's office today to talk to her more about it and she actually returned my call (!). She told me her personal reasoning for not saying no to parents is that she worries that if she doesn't, and they really want it done, it may not get done in a sterile, safe way-- she made the analogy of keeping abortion safe & legal.

And one of the reasons I want to be a nurse and will be a nurse is so I can object and say no and hopefully help to make a difference.

Because I stayed and watched the whole thing I am even more responsible to work to eradicate the procedures.

This moment in my life was not in vain. And for those of you who know nothing about me except for that story (obviously) have every right to feel the way you feel about me-- be that angry, disgusted, sad. I personally feel sick.

I kinda view what you did, sortof like..

A vegan going to visit a factory farm slaughterhouse just to reinforce WHY they believe what they believe, KWIM???

I do hope that makes sesne....
Old 10-26-2006, 05:16 PM

But they did it anyway!!! That is the point!!! I am just sorry they did not have elevator music playing in the back ground that sure would have made them (student, tech and doctor) feel better to, It is not about the student nurse, tech adviser or the Butcher doctor and how good they make themselves feel, it is about the BABY Boy and the pain being put on him without his consent. I can't believe that this student would have failed and been forced of nursing out just because she did not take part in one training session. What a cop out!!!!!!!!!! When the day comes that nurses take a stand and STOP assisting then the practice will start dying a slow death.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:16 PM

I respect your decision to observe one, but I still disagree with that doctor's reasoning. There are a million doctors in the US who will circ "safely", even with anesthesia. She could say NO and that would have far more impact on parents than saying "Well, I really don't think you should, but if you insist, I'll do it for you."

It is only when doctors start standing up for the rights of babies that this abhorrent practice will end.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 10-26-2006, 05:19 PM

Quote:

To use as your rationale for doing a circ the idiocy that if you don't do it, the parents may have it done in a non-sterile, unsafe enrivonment is beyond unconvincing. Post hospital or birthing center departure circs are being done thousands of times (probably tens of thousands of times) a year in the US. Those doctor's offices and clinics where it is happening are almost certainly as safe as the birthing clinic where this doc performs her circs. ANd the circs are readily available (far too readily so, I think), so the parents are not going to be driven to despair in their search to find a circumciser. YOr doctor can say all she wants that she hates doing them and that she doesn't want to do them, but she is lying to herself and to you. If she doesn't want to do them and it grieves her to do them, then she should just stop.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intactguy57 View Post
I can't believe that this student would have failed and been forced of nursing out just because she did not take part in one training session. What a cop out!!!!!!!!!! When the day comes that nurses take a stand and STOP assisting then the practice will start dying a slow death.
I would not have failed the program; i'm not sure who said that, but it wasn't me.

YES! Of course, it's about the baby. Of course. It's about the babies.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stever_45723 View Post
To use as your rationale for doing a circ the idiocy that if you don't do it, the parents may have it done in a non-sterile, unsafe enrivonment is beyond unconvincing. Post hospital or birthing center departure circs are being done thousands of times (probably tens of thousands of times) a year in the US. Those doctor's offices and clinics where it is happening are almost certainly as safe as the birthing clinic where this doc performs her circs. ANd the circs are readily available (far too readily so, I think), so the parents are not going to be driven to despair in their search to find a circumciser. YOr doctor can say all she wants that she hates doing them and that she doesn't want to do them, but she is lying to herself and to you. If she doesn't want to do them and it grieves her to do them, then she should just stop.
I agree-- I am bringing some printouts that I found searching this forum to bring with me to clinical next week and I'm going to start asking every person why they keep doing them.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora114 View Post
I kinda view what you did, sortof like..

A vegan going to visit a factory farm slaughterhouse just to reinforce WHY they believe what they believe, KWIM???

I do hope that makes sesne....
It makes sense to me.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:33 PM

I hate this story because every single person in that room knew what they were doing to that baby was wrong and yet they went ahead and did for no reason. At least with other doctors/nurses they may think they're doing something for the baby's benefit. Even though they're wrong, their heart is in the right place.

And the excuses just don't fly with me. "Oh but at least I was smiling at him while I mutilated him" -- yeah, I'm sure that was real comforting. It probably made it even worse by sending that message that people can hurt you terribly while making kind motions towards you.

As for the doctor -- what's wrong with saying "I'm a medical professional and this procedure will HARM your son so I will just not do it." If that won't make the parents think twice then they're just sadistic idiots. And her excuse about sterile procedure is just a joke -- those parents would find plenty of places to circumcise their son.

Nyveronica -- please exercise your right to not assist in these procedures. It will at least get people thinking/talking.

Violet
Old 10-26-2006, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmama7 View Post
Nyveronica -- please exercise your right to not assist in these procedures. It will at least get people thinking/talking.

Violet
Yes, exactly my feelings
Old 10-26-2006, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'll be starting nursing school (hopefully) in fall 2008. Rest assured that this is one nurse who will NOT be assisting in any way with circ! I won't set up the instruments, assist the doctor, or clean up afterwards. If the boy is in my care I WILL take proper care of his poor penis afterwards, but that is as far as I will go. And you can be sure everyone within earshot will know exactly why I won't be assisting!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Old 10-26-2006, 06:39 PM

There will always be parents that want the mutilation done for some stupid reason including personal beliefs. What this doctor is saying is that she will continue to mutilate as long as someone ask for it, boy is she helping the "natural cause" or what? Mutilation is mutilation no mater how it is painted either by humming nurses with elevator music or ugly back ally choppers. I would love to be able to give this doctor a piece of my mind to her face for she is pro circ and she knows it. Son grit your teeth while we sing com-by-ya and that will make things so much easier for you. Give me a break!!

User Tag List