Advice please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-18-2003, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I'm hoping someone has some advice for me. My 3 1/2 year old told me last night and this morning that his penis hurt, and indicated that it was at the tip. I saw no redness or smegma. I just talked to my pediatrician who (without seeing my son) advised to start trying to retract the foreskin because it's beginning to get tight. I don't want to do that, but does anyone have any ideas on what I should do?
Thanks a lot. I have absolutely no experience with this stuff!
Kim
#2 of 8 Old 04-18-2003, 08:39 PM

Sounds like what is happening is the epithelial bond is begining to loosen in spots getting ready for retraction. The bond doesn't loosen evenly and if he has an erection, it pulls at those spots that are still bonded. They will eventually all loosen and then he will be retractable.

You may try giving him some Tylenol if the pain persists but I suspect it will be episodic. Keep an eye on him for any redness or other indication of irritation or infection.

I would recommend getting another pediatrician as this one obviously doesn't know what he is talking about. Foreskins do not "get too tight." The only person to retract your son is your son (for the next 15 years or so :LOL ) I suspect this pediatrician's next recommendation will be circumcision. You can also count on him trying to retract your son the next time he sees him. Don't let it happen!

Frank
#3 of 8 Old 04-20-2003, 11:53 PM

It's a good thing you sought the doctor's advice on the phone first. He's shown himself to not know what to do about a foreskin. I agree with a bit of pain reliever. Do not retract - ever. Keep watch over it. Here's hoping he feels better.

last minute laila.
#4 of 8 Old 04-23-2003, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks you guys! That sounds just right!
Kim
#5 of 8 Old 04-25-2003, 02:42 PM

So, how is he doing ?
#6 of 8 Old 05-02-2003, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

He's doing fine. No recent complaints. Coincidently, today I spoke with our regular pediatrician and complained about the advice I got from that office. (The advice was from a nurse practitioner, but that is really beside the point). He said he was trained that you leave it alone (thank goodness) and I said I didn't think the nurse should be telling people to retract and if that was going to continue to be the case, I want to only see him. He said he'd talk to the head of the practice. So we'll see what happens.
#7 of 8 Old 05-02-2003, 04:38 PM

That's great news ! Firstly about your son and then about your mentioning to the doc concerning the advice you were given.

#8 of 8 Old 05-06-2003, 12:44 AM

I think the docs just assume that a "tight" foreskin automatically means a case of phimosis. They see it in textbooks and that's what they internalize...at least that's they way it was for my fellow students in nursing school. They see those pics and can't imagine why anyone would NOT circ. It makes me crazy. Stick to you guns, mama.
Blessings,

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page