Forum Jump: 

Old 11-10-2006, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
This all makes me very sad
Circumcision IS very sad s but I don't see this thrend as sad. I see it as "woohoo someone is asking question BEFORE they cut up their baby. Another chance to save a baby boy from being cut!" If only every mom pregnant with a boy would start asking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2006, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candipooh View Post
Circumcision IS very sad s but I don't see this thrend as sad. I see it as "woohoo someone is asking question BEFORE they cut up their baby. Another chance to save a baby boy from being cut!" If only every mom pregnant with a boy would start asking.

You're right...let me clarify..

What I find sad is that so many mama's just think it's just done. Luckily, this mama (OP) had someone inform her that it is a choice. It still makes me sad that it's still a choice though.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
Old 11-10-2006, 03:14 PM

JuJuBees

I just wanted to say that I have been where you are...With my oldest son I actually had NO idea that you didn't have to circumcize baby boys. I had never known ANYONE who was not circ'd and no one had ever even mentioned to me that circ. wasn't just part of life. My oldest son WAS circumcised I regret that SO deeply...it is the biggest regret I have with my parenting. Good for you for thinking about this. I know some people here may come off strong, but once you see circumcision for what it is it is very difficult not to speak out forcefully in opposition.

I hope that you leave your son intact...I'm sure you would leave your daughter intact, right? Congrats on your pg and your new son Oh, and go hug your friend who told you about MDC.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:30 PM

I seldom post on this board, it make me sad when I do. I was you 11 yrs ago, 7 yrs ago and 5 yrs ago.. had I known that this procedure was unneccessary my little boys would be intact. My 11 yr old would not have had meatal stenosis a complication from circumcision. He wouldn't have had to have surgery on his penis. He wouldn't have been traumatized by not only being circ'd but then having to go through that much more pain by having his urethra cut open to cut away scar tissue that had built up from his circumcision. It was not known to me that the reason he had meatal stenosis was because he was circumcised. Had I known that my 5 yr old would have been left intact. Circumcision is far more difficult to care for than being left intact. You must make sure you clean it properly or it can get infected (of course this is just in the beginning but nevertheless) you must make sure to avoid adhesions because they are very common and painful. Bacterial infections can occur even in circumcised boys.. my stepson had one that wouldn't go away and as a result was recirc'd. Had I known all of this seriously I would never have gone through with it. It is completely unneccessary and I must say good for you for researching this procedure before having your baby. This board has plenty of links to inform you what circumcision is about and why it is so unneccessary. I thought people were crazy when they didn't circ before I came here.. now I know I was the crazy one. All it took for me was the video and I cried for days because I made it my choice not theirs. It's his penis let him decide what he wishes to do with it please.. if only I had the resources of MDC 11 yrs ago my babies would still be intact today. It is wrong, it does hurt them, there are complications and really think about being strapped down and cut with no voice and no way of relaying how much it hurts.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

Old 11-10-2006, 03:56 PM

Man, I had never looked all the way thru that "what happens in a circ" group of photos. Like the OP said the poor boys penis looks terrible. Really they all look like this just after they finish? And people think it is right? I truly cant imagine how terrible I would have felt to have my child returned to me like this. Thank God my boy was the third child and I found this board. That really makes me sick.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:03 PM

No national medication organization reccommends routine infant circumcision. Male circumcision is not only unnecessary, but harmful. The stats for the US now are closer to 50-50, in my area its about 38% who are circ'd. The highest rates are in the midwest/northeast.

When I was pregnant for the first time, I came into researching about this with an open mind (and a medical and scientific standpoint as that is what my degrees are in). I researched intensely and it became very obvious that not only was it not necessary, but harmful. From an ethical and human rights perspective, it is also not right to remove healthy functioning tissue without medical necessity. And, there are only three medical conditions which require circumcision...frostbite, gangrene and cancer. All of which are incredibly rare.

The best suggestion I have is to read through the links that many other provided and look up at the "sticky" threads at the top of this forum. Keep in mind too that the US is the only country where a majority of males are circumcised for cosmetic/cultural reasons. The UK, Europe, Australia, Canada even now, as well as nearly all of the world do not circumcise, and those who are circumcised there are done for religious reasons as well. 85% of the world's men are intact. When you talk to a man in Europe, who has his foreskin, they can't imagine living without it (and it does contain half of the nerve endings in the penis, and the fine touch receptors as well).

It's also interesting to note that the argument that people use here in the US to circumcise their baby boys is the same arguments that people who advocate for circumcision of girls use in other countries. Female circumcision advocates claim that trimming the labia, removing the clitoral hood on girls is cleaner, more attractive, cures cancer, reduces infection and STDs...oh, and the other thing the mothers also say that "I'm circumcised and I'm fine and I enjoy sex and orgasm so they'll be fine too." I honestly didn't know any of that until I started reading. And, once you start reading, it becomes obvious, and even moreso very disheartening and saddening.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Old 11-10-2006, 04:22 PM

Welcome to MDC
Thank you so much for looking into this first. I left my twins intact and I don't regret it one bit, they are happy, healthy little guys.
There is an quote that goes something like this
before you were concieved I wanted you
Before you born I loved you
before you were a minute old I would die for you
this is a great way to express just how much moms love their children you want them to be healthy when they are born please don't subject your little boy to a cosmetic surgry.
Because it is surgry and surgry comes with great risks, even death
read the links people have posted watch the videos
Old 11-10-2006, 04:38 PM

Hi JuJuBees,

My husband is circ'd but I made the decision to leave my son intact. I figured, why subject him to that? Didn't I believe he was perfect already? The AAP does not recommend routinue circumcision anymore. Medicaid does not cover it and many insurance companies will also force you to pay for it out of pocket.

Please watch one of the videos. I didn't understand what it entailed until I SAW it. If you like Penn & Teller they have a Bullshit! show on circumcision. It is on youtube.com somewhere.

DS - 5! - adopted at birth after infertility, IUI, and IVF; DD - 4! - surprise pregnancy discovered when DS was 8 months old ; Hoping for another soon (actively TTC ~ 2 years)
Old 11-10-2006, 04:48 PM
zak

Welcome JuJuBees!

My hubby is also circ'd, but our son is intact!

The article that we read that sealed the deal... http://www.mothersagainstcirc.org/fleiss.html Speficially the How Does Circumcision Harm? section.

I hope that you find this board an excellent resource (as I did) before the birth of your lovely son and choose to leave him intact.

Welcome.

-zak- Mama to three fantastic sons - 2005, 2007 & 2010 and expecting a daughter February 2012!

Old 11-10-2006, 04:49 PM

For anyone deciding to get their 'facts' from circumcisioninfo.com, look into what a 'circumfetishist' is.

One thing they get off on is going to less 'enlightened' forums & talking mommies into getting this done, then asking a lot of details to masturbate to.

Kind of like when adult diaper guys go to the diapering forum, or guys with lactation fetishes pretend to be a mom whose 10 yr old wants to nurse. Except those just give some people the willies when they figure it out, while THESE people get pieces of babies cut off.

Listen to those screams on the video, & recall that there are men who climax to that sound. Then decide if 'circumcisioninfo' is really where you want to get the information to make an informed decision.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:59 PM

I can never eat hot-dogs again.... cursed women!

Just kidding. As a guy, I'll just say this: teach him some basic hyegine, and don't cut chunks of his anatomy off of him. If he can't keep two square centimeters of his body clean on a daily basis, he probably won't be able to handle school, or making toast.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:10 PM

Welcome to MDC! So glad you came here and found this forum before the birth of your son, it's wonderful that you took the initiative to come and ask questions.

I don't usually post in this forum but saw your post and decided to read. I wish I had done what you are doing now, read about circs before having my boys circ'ed. It is something that I greatly regret and always will.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone!
Old 11-10-2006, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJuBees View Post
okay.. my friend told me to come to this board. i have a 2yo girl and am pregnant with a boy. i never knew you couldn't not circumsize your kid. i figured it was something you had to do. but, anyway, we are pretty sure we want it done so he can look like every other person we know. what's the big deal anyway. from what i understand they don't feel much, they sleep a lot of times, and it helps to prevent a bunch of stuff down the road. i would think it hurts as much as a paper cut, right? i mean.. if it was so horrible would they still do it? i am open to listening to everyone cause really i dont know much about it.

jodie

Hi Jodie! Welcome to MDC. You've gotten some great information already, so I won't reiterate all of that. But what I do want to answer is the question "if it was so horrible why would they still do it?"

Money.

There are countries in Europe that have made routine infant circumcision illegal. The rest of Europe pretty much regards it as : and outdated.
The US is the ONLY industrialized country that still does it at all, and luckily, we are doing it less and less. Doctors make around $350 for each circumcision they perform. On top of that, there is a HUGE industry in foreskins - several cosmetic companies use them in face creams and whatnot, and biogenics companies are leading the pack with using foreskins in their research and products for engineered tissues. Do a google search for "Apligraf" and "Organogenesis" if you want to investigate this.
This is a $1.5 billion a year industry - and I'm quite sure that has a bit to do with why the practice continues. Hospitals and dr's probably make a good bit of kickback money, whether that be in straight up sale of infant foreskin, or "donations".

Good for you for coming here and asking questions. I had a friend who's brother "had" to be circed at age 9 because he kept getting infections. After talking to her, it was clear that the boy was being forcibly retracted and cleaned. This would be the equivalent of cleaning out the inside of a baby girl's vagina. Can you imagine the infections that would cause? :

Now, parents (although sadly most doctors are behind the times in this) know better to not retract the foreskin EVER to clean under it. My son is 17 months old and has never had any problems at all with his penis. All the "special care" an intact penis requires is to wipe the outside like you would a finger - and leave it alone after that. The opening of the foreskin has a sphincter muscle around it, preventing anything (poo, etc) from getting in there, and it's fused to the glans, also preventing anything from getting in there. It's a self-cleaning organ, just like our vaginas.

I know you'll come to the right decision - once you actually learn the facts, it's really a no brainer. So glad you found us!!
Old 11-10-2006, 05:50 PM

Not my body. Not my choice.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:16 PM

Quote:
see.. i have a neighbore who left her son intact, and when he was 14 he needed to be circumsized. he resented his mother for not doing it when he was a baby. he hated that he had to get it done when he was at an age when no kid wants to be different for any reason. the fact that he had to take time off school to get his penis cut got around the school and people made fun of him. thats sad. i wouldnt want my kid to go through that.
Chances are, he was the victim of bad advice from a doctor. A doctor probably advised his mother to retract the foreskin. That is the exact opposite of what you are supposed to do. Premature retraction will cause infections, adhesions, and a lot of pain. Most men never "need" to be circumcised, but are circumcised anyway due to American medical ignorance and greed.

On the topic of teasing, you have to remember that kids will tease for any reason. Wear glasses? Teased. Chubby? Teased. Too smart? Teased. Too dumb? Teased. Not good at sports? Teased. Boys tease for no reason at all. Its just the way they are.

If your daughter is a late bloomer, would you get her breast implants so she wouldn't look different? Or, would you reassure her that she is perfectly normal?

If your son feels good about himself and not self concious, it won't be a problem. He'll be able to stand up for himself. Besides, if someone were checking out your boy in the locker room, all he needs to say is, "Stop looking at my penis!" Guess would would get teased? Not your boy.

Also, I graduated high school in 1997. The amount of time spend I spent naked in the locker room was exactly zero minutes.

And honestly, you have no ethical right to perform sexual cosmetic surgery on your little boy. This topic has created a rift between my parents and I as they circumcised me without my consent. Your boy will learn what he has lost and he might not be so happy. His Internet connection goes to NoCirc.org as well as mine.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:21 PM

Info on circ is fine as long as it the truth. The site that was posted is a circ fetish site and has many false things in it.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 11-10-2006, 06:24 PM

I was circed as an infant. I've had multiple complications throughout my life.

Regardless of your status now, I wish I was given the opportunity to choose to be circumcized instead of someone doing it to me without my consent.

Because of my complications I am in the long process of restoring. 3-5 years for what they took from me without my consent.

What you do as an adult is your own business, that is your choice.

What you do to an infant is barbaric and disgusting.

Partner to :Jessica(??) papa to Jake(7) and : Kaiya (2)
Old 11-10-2006, 06:37 PM

Another thing, don't listen to those HIV fearmongering studies again. If those studies were anything other than a circumcision sales pitch, the United States with its 90% adult male circumcision rate would have the lowest HIV rates in the world. Instead, we're #71 of 168 with most noncircumcising countries below us on the list.

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications.../2155rank.html

If you want your kid to stay HIV and STD free, don't cut him. Instead, make sure he knows how STDs and HIV are spread and knows how to use and obtain condoms. Push monogamy. You can't get HIV from your HIV-free faithful partner. That goes for your daughters as well.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:44 PM

You can also look at the stickies at the top of the forum. They have a ton of useful information in them.

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
Old 11-10-2006, 06:45 PM

Hi JuJuBees, and welcome. I hope you're still reading this thread. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have via PM. I'll try to keep it short and sweet.

My husband is cut. I should have spoken up louder and prouder; instead I gave him all the information and told him it was ultimately his decision. I didn't want to be the one responsible for the decision to circ my son.

The day we left the hospital, my husband had left to go get the car and pick up some groceries before going home. I had my exit interviews with the nursing staff and then the doctor on call came around to tell me that the last thing they needed to do was my son's circ. I told her I wouldn't consent to it, though she had already heard from my husband that he wanted it done. Hubby didn't come back in time to consent. I felt extremely pressured and was way out of sorts after a traumatic birth experience and all the postpartum hormones. I let them bully me into signing the consent. And then I had a panic attack. I mean a full-blown, balls-to-the-wall, sedate-me-please panic attack. The doctor and nurse laughed at me.

I asked them to at least assure me they would use pain meds. They told me that it's actually their policy not to, since it can increase bleeding. (?) They told me they would give him something called a "sweetie" - sugar water.
Jujubee, when they brought him back TWO HOURS LATER :, he slept for another 3 hours and was very difficult to rouse even to nurse. That's a baby's defense mechanism; when something is too overwhelming and painful, they sleep so they don't have to feel it. Itwent on for the next 48 hours.

I have so much guilt over it. I feel like I betrayed my baby boy. It OBVIOUSLY hurt him, a lot. The ped told me two days later that they cut "a little too much - he may have been squirming or something". : I can't tell you how horrible it made me feel to think that I was responsible for letting someone mutilate my child. I strongly urge you to think twice about it, and let your husband watch that video! It's not fair to them. If I had it to do over again, I would have told that bullying nurse and doctor to go F themselves. But I don't have it to do over again - all I can do is urge you to think about it before you do it. I'm glad you took the time to come to this board and ask. I'm very glad you seem like you want to research it before you just do it because everyone else does. Good luck to you with your birth, and please, feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Your willingness to read the information given by others and read the links shows your sincerity to do the possible best for your son and I think you deserve lots of props (pat on the back). It's what it's all about, TCAC.

I, too, urge this thread not be closed, because it speaks volumes of other parents and parents-to-be (...or, anyone, really) who thought like JuJuBees that "it's just a paper cut" and quickly (hopefully!) realize it's much more horrific to it and at least willing to learn more. You can't fault a person for that.

Yeah, the the odd pro-circ lurker/poster here may try to skew the results, but we have the facts on our side and the facts are intact is best!
Old 11-10-2006, 07:12 PM

Actually, a circ'ed boy is JUST AS LIKELY to need to be recirced, as an intact boy is to be circ'ed later in life for medical reasons.
http://www.caringforkids.cps.ca/babies/Circumcision.htm

And circumcision hurts, even if you use anesthesia, it hurts afterwards while it's healing. Have you ever had minor surgery? I have and they gave me pain pills, and it still hurt for a week or more. How fair is it that a newborn boy would have to be in pain the first couple weeks of his life?

I so deeply regret circing my ds. It's the only regret I have in my life. He should have been allowed to have stayed in my arms where he belonged. Instead, he was strapped to a board, cut up, and then in pain while it was healing. Grrr... THEN he had adhesions at a few months old (adhesions, I've learned, are quite common) and THAT hurt. That's when I did research and was completely horrified at what I had done to my ds.

Oh, and "what's the big deal?"- circ is cutting off a healthy, normal, natural, useful body part off of an unconsenting person.
How can that not be a big deal?

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Old 11-10-2006, 07:21 PM

To the OP.

I strongly courage you to find out the purpose of foreskin. I haven't had time read through this thread and it is almost midnight here(Scandinavia) but I am sure others have given you great info.

Learn what exactly is removed and then think how would you feel if similar amount of nerves,skin,bloodvessels etc.had been removed from your own genitals(or your daughter's).

This is where the lie started in USA 100 years ago. This and the similar statements;

"There can be no doubt of [masturbation's] injurous effect, and of the proneness to practice it on the part of children with defective brains. Circumcision should always be practiced. It may be necessary to make the genitals so sore by blistering fluids that pain results from attempts to rub the parts." -- Angel Money. Treatment of Disease In Children.Philidelphia: P. Blakiston, 1887. p.421

USA has circumcised it's boys for 100 years - meanwhile rest of the world has lived intact(not circumcised). Luckily in just few years circumcision rates have gone down almost from 100% to around 55%, in some areas circ rates are allready under 30%.

Good luck with searching and studying!
Old 11-10-2006, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva33mommy View Post
Actually, a circ'ed boy is JUST AS LIKELY to need to be recirced, as an intact boy is to be circ'ed later in life for medical reasons.
My middle son was re-circ'd at a year old. It was major surgery at that point and required several stitches just below the head of his penis. It was very painful for him and he would cry if anyone went near his penis for more than a year afterwards.

My youngest son had 'problems' b/c of adhesions where his foreskin was attempting to heal itself and re-adhere to the head of his penis. The solution the docs gave me was to force the skin the had re-attached back. The result was a screaming baby whose remaining foreskin (he had a loose circ) was ripped from the head of his penis. He would spend the next 24-36 hours screaming everytime he peed b/c the urine went right into the raw part. We decided more than two years ago to stop forcibly retracting him and to let his body heal what it could. He is now five and still gets freaked out about us being near his penis b/c he knows it's gonna hurt like hell if it gets retracted.

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
Old 11-10-2006, 07:38 PM

JuJuBees, you have already gotten a lot of good links and info. I just wanted to add that if you think about it , it is really odd that baby boys "need" to have part of their body removed ("corrective" surgery on their genitals) immediatly after birth . I of course know it isn't needed and in no way corrective but a lot of people in the US veiw circ that way.

And unfortunately there are sickos that actually get off on thinking about, reading about ect... baby boys being circed. It is absolutely revolting but some of the pro-circ sites are run by people just for that reason.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Old 11-11-2006, 03:27 AM

Quote:
okay.. my friend told me to come to this board. i have a 2yo girl and am pregnant with a boy. i never knew you couldn't not circumsize your kid. i figured it was something you had to do. but, anyway, we are pretty sure we want it done so he can look like every other person we know. what's the big deal anyway. from what i understand they don't feel much, they sleep a lot of times, and it helps to prevent a bunch of stuff down the road. i would think it hurts as much as a paper cut, right? i mean.. if it was so horrible would they still do it? i am open to listening to everyone cause really i dont know much about it.

jodie
have you watched the video of the littel boy being circ'd? i cant imagine anyone watchign that video and circ'ing their son afterwards.

my first 2 sons are circ'd b/c i didnt know any better. when you know better, you do better. im Jewish, and circ'd for religious reasons. but after seeing that video and reading the board here, i chose not to allow anyone to mutilate my third son.

when our boys are older, the circ'd penises are going to be in the minority.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:46 AM

There is a 'circ'd & regret it' thread stickied above.

There is no 'intact & regret it' thread. My kids are 4 & almost 6, & fine. My dd is intact too. Every argument people give for circ'ing boys has been made for circ'ing girls. Imagine if someone tried to convince you to circ your dd using yeast infections & UTIs as an excuse!

It sounds like you are a good person trying to find out what's best for your kids. I'm so glad you came here.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:52 AM

There is no way we would ever consider circ. We would never cut off any part of our child's body. It's hard to fathom how excruciated that would be.

(Following is without prejudice)

What is the reason often quoted for allowing it?

>> RELIGION.

What is the reason the foreskin exists?

>> 50,000 years of evolution.

Randah & Ryan (parents of Jasmyn)
Old 11-11-2006, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTail View Post
Every argument people give for circ'ing boys has been made for circ'ing girls. Imagine if someone tried to convince you to circ your dd using yeast infections & UTIs as an excuse!
Considering that FGM was still legal and covered by insurance when I was having recurring yeast infections and UTIs, I should be glad that I'm still intact. I guess there was at least some common sense about UTIs and yeast infections in woman.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif

User Tag List