so whats the big deal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-10-2006, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
okay.. my friend told me to come to this board. i have a 2yo girl and am pregnant with a boy. i never knew you couldn't not circumsize your kid. i figured it was something you had to do. but, anyway, we are pretty sure we want it done so he can look like every other person we know. what's the big deal anyway. from what i understand they don't feel much, they sleep a lot of times, and it helps to prevent a bunch of stuff down the road. i would think it hurts as much as a paper cut, right? i mean.. if it was so horrible would they still do it? i am open to listening to everyone cause really i dont know much about it.

jodie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2006, 12:15 PM

Let me cut a body part of yours off and you can tell me if it hurts like a paper cut. Please don't circ your boy. There's no medical reason for it, and from what I hear from other men, they don't spend a lot of time looking at each other's willies.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

but if you cut off some of my skin it wouldn't hurt that bad. i have cut a chunck of skin off my finger and it was a little painful but not a whole lot. not excruciating or anything. its not a entire body part. they arent cutting his whole penis off.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJuBees View Post
but if you cut off some of my skin it wouldn't hurt that bad. i have cut a chunck of skin off my finger and it was a little painful but not a whole lot. not excruciating or anything. its not a entire body part. they arent cutting his whole penis off.
Not the WHOLE penis. Just half of it. :

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
Old 11-10-2006, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Welcome, JuJuBees! I only come to this forum occasionally; I'm sure others who are more regular here will have lots of info and links for you. All I have is personal experience.

No men in my immediate family, or in dh's family, or any men who I have seen naked are circumcized. The only men in my extended family who are circ'd have done it for religious reasons. The practice is on the decline. It varies from region to region. My dh went to high school with the group showers; he didn't know until we had to fill out the "circ or not" form for the hospital that people who didn't have a religious reason circ'd. So either guys don't check each other out in the locker room, or very few were circ'd.

It isn't appropriate to cut off the foreskin to prevent problems down the road any more than it is appropriate to remove a newborn girl's breasts because breast cancer runs in her family. And most of the problems that happen are because Drs are so used to a circ'd penis that they don't know how to properly care for an intact one -- which is mostly to leave it alone. Now that more and more parents are leaving their children intact, Drs are becoming more educated about how to care for an intact penis. Again with all of the intact men I know, no one has had any problems that I know of. Dh is a super neat freak and a bit of a germaphobe; he can't fathom why anyone would think circing is cleaner. It doesn't make sense. I don't cut off my eyelids to make it easier to clean my eyeball.

The American Association of Pediatricians has (I believe) stated that there is no medical need for circumcision. It is the same story in Canada where the gov't will no longer fund circumcisions as there is no proven medical need for them. So the major, mainstream medical groups have already said there is no need for them. Since there is no need and, in fact, there are often complications (it is not as simple as a paper cut, but I'm sure others will have links that explain it, there is a video even), it's a risky thing to do. In the *very rare* case that there is a problem that necessitates circumcision down the road, it can be done when it is safer for the man to have anisthetics and when he can verbalize his discomfort and get the help he needs to deal with the pain.

Anyway, welcome to the forums, and congratulations on your upcoming pregnancy! It's great that you're here getting information before you make a decision. Your kids are lucky to have such a concerned, caring mama.

ETA: Wow, I must have taken a long time posting -- when I first hit reply, there were no other replies!

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 11-10-2006, 12:23 PM

I totally don't get the circumcision thing, when your perfect beautiful baby boy arrives, why would you want to cut off part of his body? Would you cut off your daughters labia? That sounds brutal, doesn't it?

"With the thoughts I'd be thinkin', I could be another Lincoln,

If I only had a brain."duh.gif

Old 11-10-2006, 12:26 PM

Did you have your daugther's breast removed at birth to prevent breast cancer? What about her cervix to prevent cervical cancer? What about her labia to prevent yeast infections and UTI's?

Will you give your children nose jobs so there noses match other peoples?
Old 11-10-2006, 12:28 PM

A lot of people are very much against circumcision these days and I'm sure you will find lots of people here who can explain to you the reasons why.

My own situation is that my husband is circumcised (and very happily so), and he wanted our son to be. So we had our son circumcised. Afterwards I found some stuff on the Internet claiming it was mutilation and all that, and I started to feel horrendously guilty, even though at the time I thought I was doing the best thing for my son.

But eventually I realized that although it might not be the way nature intended it, it's not the end of the world either. My husband is perfectly happy with his circ and we have a great sex life. Furthermore some men who have been circumcised later in life (by choice) prefer it that way. (You can read the personal stories of such men here at this site
http://www.circumcisioninfo.com/

According to some things I have read, approximately 5-10 percent of males who are not circumcised have to be circumcised later in life due to problems with the foreskin. Advocates of circumsision point this out and say it's better to avoid these problems; critics say "why fix what isn't broken yet?"

Some studies also show that circ'ed men have less of a chance of catching STDs, including AIDS, although critics have pointed out flaws in those studies (sorry I don't know the details.)

I can see both sides of the story actually, and I don't see myself as belonging to either "camp." I feel that circumcision does have benefits, but that ultimately it should be the boy's choce. I think I would have felt better if my son had had the chance to choose if he would be circumsised, as an adult.

I think it's important for you to do lots of research Jodie, so that you can make an informed decision when your son is born.

Regarding pain, no physician worth his salt would ever do a circumcision without freezing the area first. My son had an analgesic cream, and the doctor was very careful to make sure the cream had had enough time to work before she did anything. And she said that during the procedure he didn't even cry.

As I said, just make sure you get a lot of info before you make a decision.

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
Old 11-10-2006, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJaneLouise View Post
Not the WHOLE penis. Just half of it. :
not half the penis. just a peice of skin on the top of it.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:29 PM

Thanks for taking the time to research this before your baby is born.

Lots of doctors will do the circumcision with no anesthesia for the baby. Watch the video, and decide for yourself.

video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmX6RdRNoqk

Even with the sound off, you can see the boy's stomach is moving up and down as he hyperventillates.

pain:

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/9712/23/ci...on.anesthetic/
http://www.mothersagainstcirc.org/painful.htm

possible complications:
http://www.cirp.org/library/complications/

- sleeplessMommy
Old 11-10-2006, 12:35 PM

Quote:
okay.. my friend told me to come to this board. i have a 2yo girl and am pregnant with a boy. i never knew you couldn't not circumsize your kid. i figured it was something you had to do. but, anyway, we are pretty sure we want it done so he can look like every other person we know. what's the big deal anyway. from what i understand they don't feel much, they sleep a lot of times, and it helps to prevent a bunch of stuff down the road. i would think it hurts as much as a paper cut, right? i mean.. if it was so horrible would they still do it? i am open to listening to everyone cause really i dont know much about it.

jodie
Hi there JuJuBees, welcome to mothering!
I just wanted to throw in my two cents about the issue to help you make this very big decision because It is HUGE decision.
I am not sure exactly what the exact numbers are but I think that only about 50 percent of boys are actually circumsised in America at this point. This means that It is becoming more and more common for a boy to have foreskin. If boys actually did compare penises in the locker room (which they dont) I am sure that your son would not be the only one with foreskin.
There are no medical benefits to circumsision. It is completely cosmetic. It is in fact the only cosmetic surgery that is legal for parents to have done to their child without their consent. It is my opinion that every person should have the right to choose if they want cosmetic surgery later in life. I dont think It should be a parents right to make this decision for them.
The forskin is a part of a males body. It has it functions. Just like the labia on a woman, the foreskin is there to protect the head of the penis. It also has numerous sexual functions. Not to mention the fact that It IS a part of a males body. What is the point of cutting it off when there is literally no medical reason for it?
Have you ever watched a video of a circumsision? If you havent you should. I think that if you are planning on having this done you should see exactly what happens during a procedure beforehand. When you watch the video you should turn up your speakers on your computer. This will answer your question about it hurting as much as a paper cut. It is an excrutiatingly painful experience for a baby to have to go through. It seems very wrong to me that a JUST born baby would have to go through such a horrifying procedure. I have always thought that newborn babies should enter a calm and nurturing environment. They are so frightened by the world when they first enter it because It is so much different from what they experienced for nine months in the womb. During a circumsision they strap the baby down and cut away at them. It is disgusting. It should be illegal.
I really hope that you think this through and decide to keep your son intact. I dont mean to seem extreme but this is a very serious issue to all of us on the mothering board. PLEASE dont do this to your child. PLEASE!

Joyful mama of 3.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:35 PM

My name is Rebecca. I was blessed with three boys and one girl. My three boys are circumcised and I have been doing research this past week about circumcision. I first started questioning it a slight bit in the last few months. My nephew is intact due to problems at birth and they were unable to circumcise him. I have found myself advocating keeping him intact without even really knowing why. I started thinking more on the subject after talking with Yoshua. I made a comment about the Case against Circumcision board and he let me know his thoughts. He is quite the advocate for keeping boys intact. We talked back and forth all this week through PM's and IM's. He even encouraged me to post on the board though I have to admit I was a bit intimidated by the idea. I was not sure how it would go over. I had a lot of things going through my mind at the time and wasn't sure of much of anything. I was also dealing with some unexpected feelings that came to surface which had little to do with circumcision; at least I couldn't initially figure out the connection. Yoshua was unwavering through all my questions and doubt. He always had a way of making his point without offending me or making me feel like I should be on the defensive. I have made the decision after much thought that circumcision is indeed wrong and unnecessary. I really have Yoshua to thank for encouraging me along. I have a thread in Case against Circumcision if you are interested in following a small part of my journey. Here are my stories.

My oldest son has a typical circumcision as far as I could tell. He is now eleven years old. I remember when he was circumcised in the hospital he was five days old. He weighed four pounds five and a half ounces. They weren't sure if they were even going to circumcise him because of his size, but decided at the last minute to go ahead with it. I remember being so upset when they brought him back to me and I changed his diaper the first time. It looked so sore and raw. I remember when the doctor came in to look at him and check the circumcision my son's hand inadvertently hit his penis separating the skin along the shaft from the head of his penis. I remember thinking that probably wasn't a good thing and the doctor even commented about that not being helpful. They just advised me to keep changing the bandage for a couple of extra days and he would be fine. We never had any other issues and his circumcision seemed to heal fine. However, now I wonder, after looking through some of the pictures, if he will have issues when he hits puberty. His circumcision looks very similar to this photograph I found on one the sites showing complications. http://www.circumcisionquotes.com/images/slide8.jpg. The remaining skin under the head of his penis is a bit tighter than the one in the picture. I always thought it healed that way from the way he hit his penis. I never even thought about it until now. I can only pray that he won't encounter problems as he grows and matures.

My middle son was circumcised at three days old. I never even thought anything of it. I just viewed it as a procedure that was done. He had what I believe is termed a loose circumcision. He didn't even appear to be circumcised most of the time. The head of his penis remained covered unless we pulled the foreskin back which we were told to do at each cleaning. He started having issues with adhesions when he approximately six months old. I was told by the pediatrician to just be sure I pulled his foreskin back and clean really well. He showed us how to pull the skin back so that the entire head was exposed. I remember how much my son cried and screamed when we did this to him. I was supposed to do this each diaper change so the adhesions would not return. I couldn't do it all the time, so I would try to do it once a week. He would cry for a day or two each time we did this to him because the skin was torn from his penis and it would cause pain upon urination. The pediatrician finally referred us to an urologist who recommended we have him circumcised again. He said the adhesions would keep coming back and the re-circumcision would prevent further issues. At eighteen months old my little boy was re-circumcised. After the surgery, we were brought to him and he seemed just fine. When the doctor came in, he wanted to show us how to care for his penis as there were eighteen stitches just below the head of his penis. You couldn’t see them when you took off his diaper because the remaining foreskin was still covering most of the head of his penis. The doctor instructed us to pull the skin over his penis and gently clean around the stitches. My son would scream and cry because of all the pain he was in, but we were told the stitches would become infected if we did not clean it properly. My son spent the next several years in fear of anyone touching penis. We taught him how to clean and pull the remaining skin over his penis, but we still would have to clean it sometimes for him. It took my husband and me to clean his penis. My husband would lie across him so he couldn't move and I would pull the skin back to clean it. I tried to by gentle, but it didn't matter. We continued doing this until he was close to five years old. He is now eight and he is in charge of cleaning his own penis. The head of his penis is still covered about halfway and he spends a lot of time pushing on his penis to get it back in what skin remains. He said it feels weird if it is out and he does not like the feeling. I would also get on him about doing this because it bothered me to watch him constantly pushing on his penis. I will no longer be reprimanding him for this as maybe it will help to save some of the sensitivity that I am sure will be gone once he grows and matures. I can only pray he doesn't loose as much as his brother who never had any skin covering the head of his penis.

My youngest son was circumcised at three days old as well. He has a loose circumcision as well. He had always appeared to not be circumcised. I used to have family ask me why we did not circumcise him. When I said we did, they would always say they did not take enough off. We did not have the adhesion issues with him as we did with his brother. He seemed to do just fine. I made sure to be more diligent in pulling his foreskin back and cleaning it because I feared a repeat of what happened with his brother. My youngest son is now five years old and I can say he had picked up on his brother's cues to push his penis in the remaining skin. The head of his penis is just now starting to be seen most of the time. He is intent on keeping the foreskin over it as much as possible. I used to reprimand him as well for "messing" with his penis. Now, I remain silent and pray for him as well. I have more regret than I ever thought I would for subjecting my boys to this unnecessary procedure. There is nothing I can do now, but pray they will understand and forgive me when they realize what I allowed to happen to them.

Thank you for taking the time to read this small novel of mine. It has actually helped to write it down and I hope it makes some amount of sense.

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
Old 11-10-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillpicklechip View Post
Regarding pain, no physician worth his salt would ever do a circumcision without freezing the area first. My son had an analgesic cream, and the doctor was very careful to make sure the cream had had enough time to work before she did anything. And she said that during the procedure he didn't even cry.
My friends 7-year old twins were circed (as infants) with what the doctor called "anesthesia": a packet of sugar

If you are having your baby circed, make sure you are there to supervise the dr. and that "anesthesia" is actually used. Needs to be injectible not topical. Lots of doctors use the "slept right though it" line so parents will not feel bad.

The Standford circ video (it has since gone away) shows a circ with the injectible anesthesia. Baby was crying, but a little less than in this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmX6RdRNoqk
Old 11-10-2006, 12:39 PM

I am assuming your husband is circ'd? Why not take a look at how much is missing next time you look. It is a bout the size of an index card once they are grown. It does hurt. They have to separate the foreskin which is more like a fingernail being separated from your finger (penis's have a LOT of sensation!!!). Here is a list of links from a Yahoo group that actually came from someone here. It covers all of the bases. Congrats on your pregnancy.

Typical Canadian Circumcision
http://www.intact.ca/video.html

General info
http://www.caringforkids.cps.ca/babies/Circumcision.htm
http://www.mothering.....by/circumc...rcumcision.html
http://www.cirp.org/pages/parents/FAQ/
http://www.infocirc.org/vice.htm
http://www.noharmm.org/separated.htm
http://www.circumcision.org/information.htm

MGMvsFGM
http://www.noharmm.org/comparison.htm
http://www.circumstitions.com/FGMvsMGM.html
http://www.circumstitions.com/Develop.html
http://www.infocirc.org/pressrel.htm

Rates
http://www.cirp.org/library/statistics/bollinger2001/ (American)
http://www.cirp.org/library/statistics/USA/ (American)
http://www.courtchallenge.com/refs/rate1m.html (Canadian)

Medical Communities
http://www.cirp.org/library/statements/
http://www.nocircnc.org/medicalstatements.htm
http://www.circumcision.org/studies.htm
http://www.intact.ca/saskmemo.html
http://www.nurses.cirp.org
http://faculty.washington.edu/gcd/DOC/

Circumcision Not Cost Effective
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2004/11/prweb180294.htm

UTIs
http://www.infocirc.org/uti2.htm

Risks and Complications
http://www.circumcisionquotes.com/complications.html
http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/safety/circumcision.html (clamping methods)
http://www.infocirc.org/fourn.htm (plastibell)
http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/169/3/216 (plastibell)

Breastfeeding
http://www.nocirc.org/statements/breastfeeding.php
http://www.cirp.org/library/birth/

Cancer
http://www.cirp.org/library/stateme...rs/1996-02_ACS/
http://www.cancer.or.....enile_canc....asp ?sitearea

Personal Experiences
http://www.stopcirc.com/
http://www.circumcision.org/mothers.htm
http://www.udonet.com/circumcision/chose_to_circ.html
http://www.childbirthsolutions.com/...claire/circ.php
http://www.circumcisionquotes.com/mothers.html

"Look Like Daddy"
http://www.mothersagainstcirc.org/Like-Son.htm

IntactvsCirced penis care
http://www.nocirc.org/publish/4pam.pdf
http://www.nocirc.org/publish/5pam.pdf
http://www.tornwing.com/peacefulbeg...bysgenitals.htm
http://www.cirp.org/library/normal/

Hygiene&problems
http://www.cirp.org/library/complications/vanhowe/

Won't it Have to be Done Later?
http://www.mothering.com/articles/n...-uncircson.html

News articles
http://www.cirp.org/news/
http://www.infocirc.org/news.htm
http://www.infocirc.org/articles.htm

Pain
http://www.circumcision.org/response.htm
http://www.infocirc.org/babypain.htm
http://pediatrics.aappublications.o.../full/100/4/626

%Of Pain Control Actually Used
http://pediatrics.aappublications.o.../full/101/3/423
http://pediatrics.aappublications.o...t/full/101/6/e5

Pain Relief that SHOULD Be Used
http://www3.us.elsevierhealth.com/WOW/op043.html

Sexual side effects
http://www.boystoo.com/medical/conversion.htm
http://www.reserach/cirp.org/
http://www.norm.org/lost.html

Ethics
http://www.cirp.org/library/ethics/
http://www.canadiancrc.com/circumci...ircumcision.htm
http://www.sentienttimes.com/03/dec...cumcisionT.html

After-Market Foreskin
http://www.nbc10.com/health/1808693/detail.html

Christian Perspective
http://www.udonet.com/circumcision/christian.html

Cute articles
http://www.geocities.com/raisingintactsons/
http://www.circumstitions.com/Itsaboy.html

Adult circumcision(why not leave it up to him?)
http://www.circumcisioncenter.com/
http://www.nocircoftx.org/info/vs.html

Foreskin restoration
http://www.norm.org

Other great sites for research
http://www.cirp.org
http://www.circumcision.org
http://www.infocirc.org
http://www.circumcisionquotes.com
http://www.nocirc.org
http://www.noharm.org
http://www.intact.ca
http://www.mothering.com
http://www.fathermag.com
http://www.circumstitions.com
http://www.boystoo.com
http://www.courtchallenge.com
http://www.sicsociety.org
http://www.stopcirc.com
http://www.mothersagainstcirc.org
http://www.norm-uk.org

(Thank you to calngavinsmom from mothering.com)
Old 11-10-2006, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
A lot of people are very much against circumcision these days and I'm sure you will find lots of people here who can explain to you the reasons why.

My own situation is that my husband is circumcised (and very happily so), and he wanted our son to be. So we had our son circumcised. Afterwards I found some stuff on the Internet claiming it was mutilation and all that, and I started to feel horrendously guilty, even though at the time I thought I was doing the best thing for my son.

But eventually I realized that although it might not be the way nature intended it, it's not the end of the world either. My husband is perfectly happy with his circ and we have a great sex life. Furthermore some men who have been circumcised later in life (by choice) prefer it that way. (You can read the personal stories of such men here at this site

According to some things I have read, approximately 5-10 percent of males who are not circumcised have to be circumcised later in life due to problems with the foreskin. Advocates of circumsision point this out and say it's better to avoid these problems; critics say "why fix what isn't broken yet?"

Some studies also show that circ'ed men have less of a chance of catching STDs, including AIDS, although critics have pointed out flaws in those studies (sorry I don't know the details.)

I can see both sides of the story actually, and I don't see myself as belonging to either "camp." I feel that circumcision does have benefits, but that ultimately it should be the boy's choce. I think I would have felt better if my son had had the chance to choose if he would be circumsised, as an adult.

I think it's important for you to do lots of research Jodie, so that you can make an informed decision when your son is born.

As I said, just make sure you get a lot of info before you make a decision.
see.. i have a neighbore who left her son intact, and when he was 14 he needed to be circumsized. he resented his mother for not doing it when he was a baby. he hated that he had to get it done when he was at an age when no kid wants to be different for any reason. the fact that he had to take time off school to get his penis cut got around the school and people made fun of him. thats sad. i wouldnt want my kid to go through that.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Furthermore some men who have been circumcised later in life (by choice) prefer it that way. (You can read the personal stories of such men here at this site
Emphasis mine.

Quote:
According to some things I have read, approximately 5-10 percent of males who are not circumcised have to be circumcised later in life due to problems with the foreskin.
Link?

Quote:
Yes, these studies have been shown to be seriously flawed. I think it is dangerously misleading to say "Studies show X, but some people disagree" when it's an often life-and-death situation, such as AIDS.

Quote:
Regarding pain, no physician worth his salt would ever do a circumcision without freezing the area first.
Apparently, there are many physicians not worth their salt out there. Here is an article dated Dec 1997 urging medical practictioners to use pain relief during circs.
Quote:
The study authors note that many newborn boys who are circumcised in North America do not receive an anesthetic - numbers range from 64% to 96% in some areas.
This is less than 10 years ago. I'm googling and can't find info on current rates of pain relief use... any body else have any info?

It is not just like a paper cut. In a newborn, the foreskin is actually fused to the glans, just like your fingernail is fused to the nail bed. They tear the foreskin off and then cut. A paper cut isn't an apt analogy -- someone tearing your fingernail off is better. That's pretty painful.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessMommy View Post
My friends 7-year old twins were circed (as infacts) with what the doctor called "anesthesia": a packet of sugar

If you are having your baby circed, make sure you are there to supervise the dr. and that "anesthesia" is actually used. Needs to be injectible not topical. Lots of doctors use the "slept right though it" line so parents will not feel bad.

The Standford circ video (it has since gone away) shows a circ with the injectible anesthesia. Baby was crying, but a little less than in this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmX6RdRNoqk
a pack of sugar? that doesn't make sense.. how could they use a pack of sugar?
Old 11-10-2006, 12:49 PM

Perhaps a pack of sugar in water. Sugar water is one "method" of pain relief. You will find if you research that most methods are mis-used...meaning, they use pain relief but don't give it time to be effective.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

so how do they get it unfused? i thought they just cut the foreskin.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:
see.. i have a neighbore who left her son intact, and when he was 14 he needed to be circumsized. he resented his mother for not doing it when he was a baby. he hated that he had to get it done when he was at an age when no kid wants to be different for any reason. the fact that he had to take time off school to get his penis cut got around the school and people made fun of him. thats sad. i wouldnt want my kid to go through that.
Why did he need to be circumcised? Many Drs as I said have too little experience with a normal penis and will jump on the circ to fix it bandwagon too fast. An infection should be treated with antibiotics, not cutting. And yes, there will be rare cases where it is needed -- just like there are women who need to have a breast removed. It doesn't mean we have the right to circ at birth when there is NO medical reason.

Sucrose is often used to sedate babies. But it's a sedative, not anesthesia.

Please just watch the video. : Then check out a few of the links some previous posters have given you. After doing those two things I knew circ'ing my son was something I'd never do.

Kerry, loving wife to Pete, mama to DD (14) DS1 (9) DS2 (3) & Expecting someone new Jan 2013

Old 11-10-2006, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I sincerely doubt that his circ was necessary. Often, doctors simply don't have the education here in the US to understand the nature of the foreskin, the variations of normal and ways to heal the issues that one might have. I'm so sorry for him, because he WILL miss his foreskin.

I have one circed boy and three intact boys. With my first, there was no consent, just an assumption that this was what was done. And so it was. And, I had to care for my son's bloody penis. I cried at every diaper change. I still carry the guilt for having done it, even though I knew he was PERFECT at birth. PERFECT!

Watch the videos listed here. Really watch them and then think if you would allow someone to do this to your sweet baby boy. Are you really going to allow someone to forcibly remove his foreskin for COSMETIC reasons?

Welcome to MDC! There's a lot of info here to help you along the way.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen View Post
Why did he need to be circumcised? Many Drs as I said have too little experience with a normal penis and will jump on the circ to fix it bandwagon too fast. An infection should be treated with antibiotics, not cutting. And yes, there will be rare cases where it is needed -- just like there are women who need to have a breast removed. It doesn't mean we have the right to circ at birth when there is NO medical reason.
i think his forskin kept getting infected because he couldn't pull it back to clean it. i think it was stuck to the head of his penis or something.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:56 PM

Quote:
The foreskin is fused to the glans in babies. Stuck to the head of the penis. In order to get the foreskin off, the doctor must first separate that skin from the head of the penis.

Many mothers think that a circumcision is merely a clipping of the skin that is hanging over the glans. It's not. Watch the video. You'll see.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:57 PM

Quote:
The stick a blunt instrument underneath and separate it. That is the main difference in an adult circ and babies, babies have fused foreskin while an adult male has a retractable foreskin and they just have to cut. I posted a link with a site about adult circ that really took away the idea that it is worse for adults, post op meds alone make it easier.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:57 PM

Quote:
They forcibly tear the skin, much the same as pulling the fingernail off the finger. The skin is attached to the head of the penis and they use a medical instrument to separate the skin from the head.

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
Old 11-10-2006, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

i watched the video that sleepless mommy linked.. and when they sticked the thing under his foreskin it doesnt seem like anything is fused it seems like it is all all seperated, not like your fingernail at all. but i didn't know that they cut that much. i really just thought it was the small flap of skin at the end of the penis.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:00 PM

Quote:
i think his forskin kept getting infected because he couldn't pull it back to clean it. i think it was stuck to the head of his penis or something.

that is very common in boys who are forcibly retracted. Many docs do that because they think they need to, but they do NOT. There are many non surgical methods for helping her sons problems.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:
i watched the video that sleepless mommy linked.. and when they sticked the thing under his foreskin it doesnt seem like anything is fused it seems like it is all all seperated, not like your fingernail at all. but i didn't know that they cut that much. i really just thought it was the small flap of skin at the end of the penis.
Yes, I thought that too. Until I saw my son's bleeding penis.

User Tag List