Forum Jump: 

#61 of 86 Old 11-17-2006, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolhagan View Post
Mommay-
Let me share a story about my best friend and her five year old newly circumsised son. He got four UTI's in his life. Two of them were when he was a toddler, the other two were two months apart when he was five. The doctor suggested that she circ him. She didn't want to, but hated that he kept getting infections. So, she went along with it. So, they circ'ed him, and while he was healing from the circ he got another UTI (Can you imagine how painful that was?), they cleared it up, and three months later he got another one. Now just yesterday she calls me and tells me he HAS ANOTHER UTI!!! Now, circ'ing did nothing for his UTI's. In fact, I think it has made them worse. A lot worse!! Don't get him circ'ed you will regret it if he still continues to get UTI's.
Exactly. Girls get treated for UTIs without cutting, and I know males and females are built differently, but this is an internal-thing, right?

What I wanted to add in is, the fear I feel for other parents and their son (s) under the OP doctor's "care". Since most often think, "She's the doctor, and we're not. Okay. We don't want to, but we'll do it because it's your 'expert' opinion." and it's the parents who... tragically... get final consent!!!

I'm so glad for your son's sake, and the many people throughout his life your intact son can positively influence by having you question authority and look in depth to it!
#62 of 86 Old 11-17-2006, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyand3littlemonsters View Post
Soz to sound very thick but i don't see how cutting off a boys forskin would help with reacureent uti's : maybe i'm just a little slow because circumsision has never been mentioned to me ever and i know i would never do it even if it was i would deffo change dr's if you can.
Soz me sounding thick again but why would you be retracting your lo's forewskin?: soz again if i'm sounding too thick and out of line but all pregnancy/baby books i've seen say DO NOT retract a boys foreskin :
hope your lo is feeling well, soz again
Becky
Not understanding your lingo- what's 'Soz"?
#63 of 86 Old 11-17-2006, 10:40 PM

Looks to me like it's slang for "sorry". I see she is from England- no wonder Becky has never been told to circumcise because of UTI's! Lucky her.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#64 of 86 Old 11-17-2006, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMoMof2 View Post
Has the dr mentioned having the VCUG done? that has me : because it is recommended now after 1 UTI (i personally think 2) they should test the child for reflux. Just something you might ask the dr about. But be aware this test involves him having to be cathiterized and it does hurt and you have to be extra vigulent about how they insert the cath. ie no retracting. Just thought I would tell you that.
My son had this done after he had two UTI's as an infant. It didn't seem to hurt him at all, though I thought it would.

Carol
Momma to Patrick (8) Corey (7) Lilah- My UBA2C (11 months)
#65 of 86 Old 11-17-2006, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korydon View Post

Rather, the "bad" bacteria should first be killed off, then replaced by the healthy brand. A doctor at another site recommends ... get this: live yogurt!
He recommends not only eating yogurt, but slathering some of it inside the foreskin, itself, both of which help restore a healthy bacterial balance.
I'm actually not surprised about this. I know it is recommended for yeast infections in women. Yogurt seems to be the magic genital cure-all.

dynamohumm6, good point. It is a matter of knowledge, and I should emphasize that. But I also find that sometimes ideology makes the crucial difference in treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMoMof2
Has the dr mentioned having the VCUG done? that has me : because it is recommended now after 1 UTI (i personally think 2) they should test the child for reflux. Just something you might ask the dr about. But be aware this test involves him having to be cathiterized and it does hurt and you have to be extra vigulent about how they insert the cath. ie no retracting. Just thought I would tell you that.

No, she hasn't mentioned it. I'm thinking that's a good thing if it's going to hurt. I don't want to traumatize my child. Since I've gotten a lot of new info. about how to care for an intact penis, I think I'll see how that develops. If it happens a third time, I'm going to see a urologist. But no, I won't consider cutting ds. I'm convinced now that circumcision is not the answer.
#66 of 86 Old 11-17-2006, 11:50 PM

i haven't read the entire thread, and i don't have a ds (i have a dd) but i do know a lot about uti's-a lot of the time, the antibiotic initially prescribed may not be the right one for the particular bacteria causing the infection. not all abx, broad spectrum ones, will kill the strain of bacteria responsible. if i was you, i would stop retracting and cleaning, it's probably irritating him worse, and i would ask the doc for a urine culture, so they can figure out the exact strain of bacteria causing the problem, and then can prescribe the most effective abx for it. don't circ your fella over 2 uti s .
hugs...
e
edited to add
do the culture BEFORE testing for VCUG. it doesnt take but a day or two to get the results, and all they need for it is a clean catch sample.

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
#67 of 86 Old 11-18-2006, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommay View Post
I'm convinced now that circumcision is not the answer.

Yay!!!! :jump ers::::::ba nana:::b alloons:balloo ns
#68 of 86 Old 11-18-2006, 12:34 AM

Mommay - I'm sure you're getting tired of people replying to this thread. lol
I just wanted to reiterate, that I think you're doing a fantastic job.

And I hope your ds is feeling better!

Jenn - Mom, Photographer, Barista 

#69 of 86 Old 11-18-2006, 10:23 AM

I used to work for a doc who told patients to take vitamin C if they were prone to urinary tract infections. He said it changed the ph of the urine to where it was much harder for bacteria to grow in it.

I would check and see what a reasonable dose is for a kid and try that.
#70 of 86 Old 11-18-2006, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lula's Mom View Post
I see she is from England- no wonder Becky has never been told to circumcise because of UTI's! Lucky her.
Seems like it's just as much luck of the draw there as it is here. Ask Fi or Revamp (I think?) about English doctors and foreskins sometime. :
#71 of 86 Old 11-18-2006, 06:20 PM

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but just in case it hasn't, have you looked into dietary changes that may be causing these recurrent UTIs? There may be something he's eating, or not eating, that's making him more susceptible to this. Look into that if you haven't already. I hope you don't circ! There's no guarantee at all that it would stop these.

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#72 of 86 Old 11-18-2006, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSky View Post
Yay!!!! :jump ers::::::ba nana:::b alloons:balloo ns
I second this.

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#73 of 86 Old 11-18-2006, 08:16 PM

Mommay, I'm so glad you asked for advice here. Sounds like you got the information you needed.
You're a very good Mom!
#74 of 86 Old 11-18-2006, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Sandals View Post
True, but structural issues can crop up temporarily during growth spurts, especially with the estachian tubes and the urethra. The tubes can lag behind - I cannot find the name of the condition or link - though I know I read about it when my son had this issue 6 years ago...anyway, I found this link showing that the increase in UTIs for uncircimcised boys only applies to the first 6 months of life. The foreskin doesn't have anything to do with a UTI at three years old.
http://www.aafp.org/afp/990315ap/1472.html
It's also worth noting that the apparent benefit of reduced UTIs in circed boys under 6 months old might not be "real".
Boys born prematurely are often not circed (because they're too little and weak) and prematurity also makes them more prone to all infections, UTIs included.
So the premature babies might be averaged in, making it appear that circumcision prevents UTIs in that age group when it actually doesn't.
#75 of 86 Old 11-18-2006, 08:44 PM

: that is exactly what the one study did compaired pre mature babies to full term infants. :
Quote:
I'm convinced now that circumcision is not the answer.
I am glad you got the info you needed
: : : : : : : : : : : :

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#76 of 86 Old 11-19-2006, 02:56 AM

Mommay,

Thanks for reading, and hanging out here. One thing I would add, though.

Quoting hikingmommy,

Quote:
If he needed his appendix taken out you wouldn't argue to keep him intact then
Yes you would.

Many times boys have been circumcised without any warning and for no reason, when their appendix or tonsils are removed. Many times doctors want to "improve" us without asking and (b) blame the foreskin for any problem because they either don't know or it is easier than doing work to find the real problem.

There are sticky threads here at MDC on how to bring this up to stop the next quack from doing this to your son (before they put the little guy under). You are being prudent, not paranoid.

That having been said, my best wishes are for his speedy recovery.

My 2005 stats:
Miles on 2001 Saturn SL2: 4,500
Miles on 1981 Honda CM400T: 5,197
Bone marrow transplants: one
Value of restoring my foreskin: PRICELESS
#77 of 86 Old 11-19-2006, 04:20 AM

Well, I didn't see anyone recommend that in addition to a culture of the urine, you need the doc to order sensitivities to the antibiotic. You cannot tell which antibiotic will work without knowing what kind of bacteria it is and what kind of antibiotics the bacteria is susceptible to.

Renal ultrasound should be done at the very least after two infections. Even if they are likely the same infection. U/s does not hurt, and at the least is just a pain from having to lay still.

VCUG after one or two infections depending on the circumstances. VCUG is generally not painful. Though it is fairly annoying....lying still, waiting, full bladder.

Kidney reflux (a structural anomaly) can show up at any time. Damage to the kidneys over time though can be rather serious.

IMO, because UTIs are sooooooo rare in boys, a u/s and VCUG are warranted after 1 infection.

Vit C (sodium ascorbate) helps ward off E. coli; probiotics are excellent for all sorts of reasons; and cranberry helps as a preventative measure.
#78 of 86 Old 11-19-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturndude View Post
Yes you would.

Many times boys have been circumcised without any warning and for no reason, when their appendix or tonsils are removed.
Umm, although I do disagree with her comparison, I think you missed what she meant. When she said "you wouldn't argue to keep him intact then," I'm pretty sure she meant 'intact' as in still-with-appendix, not still-with-foreskin.
#79 of 86 Old 11-20-2006, 02:44 AM

I haven't read all the posts but I did catch the one about Neosporin. This topical ointment contains an ingredient that is very allergic/sensitive in nature to many people (including me.) I had a mole removed and was told to put Neosporin on it - it was fine for a few days but then it got intensely red, itchy, painful and inflamed. I thought it was infected and called about it and the dermatologist told me how common it is for people to have reactions to Neoporin and to stop using it. I did and in a couple days it was fine.

Knowing this now -- if it were me, I would definitely not put Neosporin in such a sensitive area (even without an outright allergy the sensitivity to it could be harmful.) If it causes irritation and inflammation I would think it would make the tendency for infection greater.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#80 of 86 Old 11-20-2006, 02:08 PM

Sereniti is right. Neosporin is not recommended for use on the penis because some boys get a an irritation from it. This can lead to a diagnosis of "repeated balanoposthitis" and a recommendation for circ (even tho circ is entirely unnecessary).
#81 of 86 Old 11-22-2006, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

I just thought I'd update people that it wasn't a uti even, just an infection of the penis. I stopped all the neosporin nonsense, and now feel confident about taking care of ds. Thanks again to everyone.
#82 of 86 Old 11-22-2006, 01:21 AM

nak really? what kind of infextion?
#83 of 86 Old 11-22-2006, 04:10 AM

: and how was it diagnosed?

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#84 of 86 Old 11-22-2006, 04:14 PM

I'm so glad you're getting to the bottom of things! Good for you for being so proactive.
#85 of 86 Old 11-26-2006, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

The doc took a urine sample and had it tested in a lab. I don't know what kind of infection it was. The impression I got was that whatever bacteria causes uti infects the penis first, moves up the urinary tract, and then finally to the kidneys. Is this not right? What should I be looking for? Gosh, thanks for your interest. I'm sure I'll find whatever you have to say useful.
#86 of 86 Old 11-26-2006, 01:23 AM

I haven't read all the replies, but wanted to share that I had a terrible UTI after the cath for my csection - that went undxed for about 6 weeks. I had other systemic infections and the UTI was unnoticed. I just kept getting sicker instead of healing.

So when it was caught, the spectrum anaysis was done - and mis-read! So I had another couple of weeks of the wrong abx when that was found out.

I have learned that it's rather common for docs not to read the spectrum correctly - and that's if they even bother to do one - or to misunderstand how to correctly Rx based on the test. So if he gets further UTIs, just know that many MDs are really clueless. They don't advertize that fact. :

I got much worse taking the wrong abx. I have worked to get my body balanced again, and in the future will use only natural remedies for infection. I have learned that they are not just for "mild" cases, but when given my real natural doctors, are a billion times more effective than the poorly Rxed abx that are so common now. My chinese herbalist has never failed to heal me fast from very debilitating infections.

Hugs to your little boy. I hope he's feeling better...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page