Acknowledging the source of my power - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-19-2006, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A little over a year ago, I saw the possibility of ending the genital mutilation of children within my lifetime on Planet Earth. As a species, we can cause the miraculous. Of course, genital mutilation is ending, so, the question becomes how can we expedite the natural process? Can we end it in one year or will we tolerate it for 10, 15 or 20 years? My dream was and is to end it in one year. I began a project called "Foreskins for Keeps"--an idea whose time has come. The end of circumcision by Jan 1, 2007.

Back in the fall of 2005, when I took that stand, I had no way of knowing how to accomplish that goal. I still don't know how AND I'm still committed to it. This year has been like a roller coaster ride for me. Every single day I have spent time on speaking up for baby boys---locally and internationally.

I started with the midwifery community and was astounded to discover that there are mws who actually perform or endorse circumcision----I did not know!
Through posting on the Midwifery Today forums, I found my dear partner, Jen, from Portland who we know on these forums as pdxmothernature. Jen told me to join up here and, now, 1000 posts later, I know that I have made a difference in many lives through what I've learned here and what I've contributed here. I was able to be taught by Frank O'hara on this list and he continues to be a dear online friend and mentor to me. Frank has a very kind way of teaching and steering me while also saving my "face". I did a lot of deleting of my posts when I first came here at his instruction because I was so off base about some of my ideas. Thanks, Frank and Jen, for all the gentle coaching and knowledge generously shared.

I have been blessed with finding partners in my own community---people I knew who were standing for the rights of boys but we were very busy people and our power was fragmented. I have the privilege of being partners with Kira from this list (we met in person at the Seattle Symposium) even tho we live 4 hours (by ferry boat) from each other. We merge strengths and get lots accomplished. Thank you, Kira, for being you.

I started a YahooGroup for Prepuce Protectin Professionals a few months ago and I am so pleased at all the nurses, drs, mws and doulas who have joined.
I am a member of 3 large intactivist email lists plus a men's restoring list (I received a special invite to join that and, man, have I learned about the real tragedy of circumcision from those dear friends). I was asked to be a presenter at the Seattle Symposium and that was a place where I put faces to the names of many of the angels in this movement. It was such a moving experience to hug Marilyn Milos and I cried and cried when she presented the memoriam to my dear friend, Jeannine Parvati Baker (authentic midwife). When Jeannine died last January (06), I promised her that I would fullfill on her dream to save the foreskins of each and every baby boy. I told her it would happen sooner, not later.

I'm sharing all this to let you in on my life and what ending circumcision means to me. Please know that you can count on me till my last breath to speak up loudly, strongly and with certainty that we can end this insanity forever on our beautiful Planet.

Your new senior member Vancouver, BC Canada
"Foreskins for Keeps---an Idea Whose Time Has Come"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 11-19-2006, 02:35 AM

Happy Senior Title Day, Gloria!

w00t!
#3 of 13 Old 11-19-2006, 02:42 AM

Thank you, just - thank you.

Your new senior title name shall be...

The Foreskinator!
#4 of 13 Old 11-19-2006, 02:45 AM

:Congrats on your senior status!!!

And...Thanks for all you do to further the cause!

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#5 of 13 Old 11-19-2006, 03:12 AM

i can't send pm's for some reason, so i'll just say

omg, Gloria! all this time seeing you post here & i never guessed that it was you (if you've mentioned it before, i haven't been around to see). grats on senior status! i doubt you remember me, but we've emailed a few times because i want to be a midwife (or "traditional birth attendant" since unlicenced midwives can't call themselves midwives here), amoung other reasons.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#6 of 13 Old 11-19-2006, 03:32 AM

Congratulations on your 1000th post and on officially becoming a "Senior Member" of this community!

Rest assured your tireless work for intactivism does not go unappreciated!

BamaDude
#7 of 13 Old 11-19-2006, 04:00 AM

Thank you Gloria!

We love you!
#8 of 13 Old 11-19-2006, 05:08 AM

Congratulations Gloria & blessings to you for all that you do! I'm so grateful to know you. When I describe you to others, I always end up saying "You know who you meet someone and you just wish they were your mom? That's Gloria!"

- Kira
#9 of 13 Old 11-19-2006, 02:20 PM

My intact little son was standing beside me while I read this thread, and I put my cheek to his and said, "You know, I really love you". He whispered back, "Yeah. Quinn loves you too." His sweetness and innocence is a perpetual reminder of why this issue-protecting children-is so important to me.

I am so thankful for all the support and friendship of all of you.

Gloria, before you suggested circumcision could end by January 1, 2007 I never thought it could be possible. I had the best of intentions, but I couldn't wrap my brain around circumcision really and truly ending worldwide. I never comprehended the collective power human beings wield. I never thought about it in terms of "What the Bleep do We Know?" and "The Secret". It seems more and more people are realizing that thoughts are energy and our outlook and beliefs have incredible significance. Anything is possible. Absolutely anything.

Thank you for transforming my mindset & restoring my hope,

Jen
#10 of 13 Old 11-19-2006, 04:17 PM

<<<Will be joing your yahoo group!

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#11 of 13 Old 11-19-2006, 08:21 PM

Thank you Gloria! And may one day you have your picture on the Living Treasures page of MDC!

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#12 of 13 Old 11-19-2006, 11:31 PM

What a beautiful post, Gloria!

And congrats on becoming a senior member .

As you can see, I *still* haven't picked a name.
#13 of 13 Old 11-20-2006, 12:22 AM

Beautiful I love being part of this group of caring people.

SAHM to Ivan 6/10/05 who says  signcirc1.gifand Matilda 1/31/08 who says saynovax.gif:::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page