There are actually hospitals that don't do circs?! Yay! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-20-2006, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know if this is common knowledge on here but I just found out from a friend of mine that her hospital doesn't do RIC--at all.

How awesome is that?!

I thought this was great news and was just wondering if anyone knows how many hospitals are not circing and if there is a list or more information on this somewhere.

{Partner to DH  and Former WOHM, now SAHM  to DD, DD , and DS } *** ***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2006, 04:27 AM

There are no circs done in hospitals in B.C., where I live. There has always been the danger of circumcising the wrong boy (I know it's always the wrong boy but maybe I should say "for the wrong parents") when you get more than one in the same spot i.e. hosp nursery. It makes it less likely that kind of mixup can occur if the parents have to go to a private clinic. Unfortunately, in my prov., taking it off the Gov't paid Medical Plan and kicking it out of hosp has just made a private clinic cottage industry for the circumcisors. Our next mission is to get it banned completely in this prov.
Baybee
Old 11-20-2006, 05:23 AM

The two hospitals (other than the Naval Hosp) in Kitsap County, WA don't do them either

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
Old 11-24-2006, 10:09 AM

I think circs are banned in NSW hospitals.(Australia)
Old 11-24-2006, 05:54 PM

I had my son at the University of Iowa and eventhough they do circ, the peds there strongly advise against it, they discuss it with you and even make you watch a video if you have a boy. My husband & I watched the video eventhough we already knew we wouldn't circ. It was very informative and very no circ friendly.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBabyIn2005 View Post
I had my son at the University of Iowa and eventhough they do circ, the peds there strongly advise against it, they discuss it with you and even make you watch a video if you have a boy. My husband & I watched the video eventhough we already knew we wouldn't circ. It was very informative and very no circ friendly.
If they are like this in Iowa, then maybe there is hope for the rest of the midwest.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:13 PM

New South Wales and Victoria (the two most populous states in Australia) have officially banned circumcision in public hospitals. Although these official bans are relatively recent (last five to ten years) circumcision rates in Australia have been low (compared to the United States) for the last 30 years or so. They basically started declining in the 70s and have been around 10%  or 15% since about the 80s.

When my son was born in New South Wales about seven years ago it was nice that the matter wasn't even discussed. (Circumcision had already been banned for a few years by then in NSW)

And that's the way it should be. After all, if you go to an ear nose and throat doctor because your tonsils are inflamed it would be unethical for him to try to sell you a nose job. In fact a naive patient might even assume that the nose job was being offered because it would help with the sore throats i.e. simply by offering the 'option' of useless surgery a doctor in in effect endorsing it. This is something which I think doctors who 'don't recommend' circumcision but still do it 'if the parents want it' fail to understand.

Anyway, here's a link to an official news story:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/circumcision-to-be-banned/story-e6frf7kx-1111114161755

BTW the Health Minister who banned circumcisn is now the Labor Party's opposition leader which means if he wins the election later this year he'll become the state's Premiere... looks like I'll be voting Labor instead of Liberal* for the first time in my life LOL!  (for you Americans that's the Australian equivalent of an American State Govenor... although we have Govenors too but they don't run the state, they are Royal Govenor's who have a ceremonial role representing the Queen and providing administrative functions... sorry about the political science lecture LOL!)

*and just to totally confuse those of you from the USA in Australia the Liberal party is actually conservative. Elections are between Liberal (conservative) and Labor (union/pro tax) plus various third parties.

User Tag List