UTI in Newborns? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-22-2006, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I started thinking about this earlier. Are there any alternative treatments to try when you think a newbie/infant might have a UTI?
I only ask cause there were times I thought maybe one of my babies had one because of fussing, but they had no other symptoms and it very well could have been something else. Plus other moms might be wodnering the same thing....
Obviously, you cant give a newborn a bottle of cranberry juice or something, but would drinking cranberry juice as a nursing mom maybe help prevent them? Just a thought....

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2006, 03:39 AM

I just posted This link in another thread I found it very informative.

http://www.cps.ca/English/statements/FN/fn96-01.htm

As I said in the other thread I'm not a scientist but if I understand it correctly the best way to prevent UTIs is to put baby with momma instead of a germ ridden nursery.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
Old 11-22-2006, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, but that doesnt really help me personally. My babies are born at home...my dd never even saw a doctor until she was close to two months old and only then because she was still extremely jaundice. And I was mainly thinking about my girls....my ds never had any hint of a UTI as an infant....but I am open to info about both cause maybe one day I will actually have another son, lol. Anywho, no way did someone cause the UTI's in my kids. No hospitals, no doctors, just the midwives who only peeked once after they were born, never touching.

Old 11-22-2006, 06:09 PM

This isn't exactly on topic, but when DS was a baby and was very fussy, the doctor mentioned it could be a UTI. He gave us a plastic bag-like contraption to put in his diaper to catch the urine for urinalysis. That way, there was no need to start antibiotics unless a UTI was actually present. I'd say cranberry juice would be fine for an older (juice-drinking) baby as well, and breastfeeding probably helps.

Katie (36)

Married mom to Patrick (2004), Noah (2006) and Liam (2010) VBAC!!
winner.jpg                                        nocirc.gif                                  jumpers.gif
Old 11-22-2006, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I started giving dd around 4 ounces of cranberry juice several days a week (I dont generally give her anything but breastmilk unless she asks for it), instead of say, apple juice. I think she was around 8 months old when we started doing that and she hasnt had any unexplained fussiness since, so...who knows?
We actually tried the plastic bagging thing like a gazillion times with both girls and the stupid thing would always fall off before or as soon as, she peed. So annoying!
So, would the cranberry juice mom drank be too broken down to help by the time it was processed into boob juice??

Old 11-22-2006, 09:29 PM

I would not attempt to treat a UTI in a newborn "naturally". Newborns have very weak immune systems and can easily be overwhemed by an infection of any kind in their body. It is not worth taking a chance. And this is coming from a mama who had a 5 week old hospitalized with a UTI. Neonatal infections are taken VERY seriously because of their potential to kill a baby. Any newborn with a fever will be hospitalized for a sepsis work up anyway.

Untreated UTIs can also lead to kidney infections, which can cause permanent scarring of the kidneys.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

I am NOT saying that I would ignore an obvious UTI. However, not all UTI's are serious. The times we thought our babies may have a UTI, they did not have fevers, they were just very fussy, esp when they peed. We took them to the doctor. They tried to get a urine sample but were unsuccessful. And because they were not horribly sick, they were sent home. My kids doctor is very naturally oriented. She istn going to cath a baby or put them on antibiotics when we arnt even sure that is what is going on. It would be different if they had a fever or were extremely lethargic or something. Shoot, most doctors admit babies with jaundice too and my ped said not to worry about it as long as she wasnt too lethargic to eat (which my 2nd did get to that point and went for light therapy for a day). My dd was jaundice for over 3 months after her birth-most docs would have freaked out, but ours was fine with it (in fact, when she was 6 weeks old and saw a diff doctor in the practice, that doc did freak out and sent her for a bili test). Anyway, my point is that I was not talking about ignoring serious symptoms in a newborn, I simply asking how one might go about treating a suspected UTI in an infant without antibiotics-basically just more than not doing anything, which is what we did-and how one might prevent them.
Oh and BTW, I dunno about the newborns with fevers thing. My surro-baby had unexplained fevers for the first few months of her life (turned out it was due to mold exposure) and the docs at Seattle Children's just sent her home the first few times since nothing else was wrong with her. Only after it had been going on for awhile did they do a blood draw-and then send her home again. Same thing with my own son who had a fever at 4 weeks old. They just said dont worry about it as long as he is eating well.

Old 11-23-2006, 05:37 PM

An appetite is the best way to tell if a newborn is healthy. If they don't eat for longer than 3 hours it sends off serious alarm bells but if they are constantly looking for the breast it makes the professionals relax mightily. It's the same as with a grown person. The first thing that goes when you're feeling sick is your appetite.

Regarding babies fussing when they have to pee. This is because it actually hurts when you have to pee and the baby panics over any pain at all. Notice the next time your bladder is full. How do you know to go pee? Discomfort. Only difference with a big person is that we've had the feeling so many times and didn't die when we pee'd that we don't add panic to the feeling and therefore it is almost unnoticeable.

I agree that this is an important topic because I, too, thought my child was screaming as if she was dying just before releasing a hot diaper full of pee. We need to reassure young mothers that this is just the baby's way of saying "Mommmmeeeeeee!!! I think an alligator is eating me up. . . . oh wait a minute. . . warm, wet. . . . now I feel better. . . . .where's that breast???"
Baybee
Old 11-25-2006, 04:43 PM

Old 11-26-2006, 03:29 AM

Breastmilk is the best treatment for a non-fever causing, non-blood present UTI in an infant.

I think I've posted the link to the study/ies before that UTIs are much less common both in breastfed babies and in their mothers while breastfeeding.

Breastfeeding also positively correlates to greater acceptance of kidney grafts (transplants) b/w child and mother who breastfed and b/w siblings who are breastfed by the same mother.

User Tag List