Swimming season coming... Advice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-25-2003, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last year when swimming lessons started ds' forskin turned dry and red, with some cracking, peeling and pain. He wears Goodnights (shhh, don't tell him I told you! He's ) and we suspected that the combination of urine and chlorine was too much, causing the problem.

I can't control the chlorine level in the public pool, and I (sigh) can't keep him dry at night until he's ready. I can't put anything on it that would sting. All I could come up with last year was to have him put vegetable oil on at night, figuring that would relieve the dryness, prevent the cracking, shield him from the urine and maybe provide a few nutrients to help heal.

It helped somewhat, but the problem persisted through swimming pool season to some degree. Does anyone have any ideas for us to try this summer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2003, 09:28 PM

Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

You may want to rule out any medical condition. Otherwise, try the following:

1. rinse with water after the pool. If the foreskin retracts, make sure he rinses under it. Also apply a little bit of diaper ointment .

2. Also, it may not be a problem only for your boy. After all, intact boys all over the world go swimming without problems with clorine. The foreskin should actually protect the penis. Anyhow, make sure the clorine level is not too high.

Lise

Christian and Sebastian's mommy
Old 04-25-2003, 10:23 PM

after washing you could apply some calendula ointment or cream.It is very soothing for dry/irritated skin.
sara
Old 04-26-2003, 12:28 PM

I once had a problem with the back of my hands similar to this and learned I could use Chap Stick once a day and had no problem after that. I think the secret is it was a water proof barrier that wouldn't wash off. Maybe a thin coating of Vaseline or something similar.

Frank
Old 04-26-2003, 03:07 PM

My three sons, all intact, are on swim teams. Not sure if circed boys have these same issues, but my guys do get red, dry, irritated foreskins off and on during swim season. One thing that helps is to coat the area with a good herbal salve before heading to the pool. I also have them rinse in the shower before heading home. The thing that they think helps the most is to cut the mesh lining out of the swim trunks. My guys are in the pool several hours per day most of the summer and apparently, the incessant rubbing against the mesh fabric gets pretty uncomfortable. Hope it helps!
Old 04-26-2003, 08:35 PM

Now we know why they wear Speedos in Europe (no mesh lining)

Lise
Old 04-27-2003, 07:44 AM

And guess what's rubbing against that mesh lining if they are circumcised. . . . . And imagine how calloused that part is getting . . . And imagine what that is doing to their sexual sensitivity.

Frank
Old 04-27-2003, 12:59 PM

Lise Brit ~ I know what you mean about the speedos. They do have to wear speedos during meets but every boy on the team refuses to wear them at practices - they call them "dicky suits" and really hate them. Speedo now makes "jammers" which are basically like biking shorts - speedos that come down to just above the knee. They all wear those now instead of the usual "bikini" type suit, but even those they will only wear at meets. Too bad, I'm sure they are much more comfortable.:
Old 04-27-2003, 04:16 PM

RE: "they call them "dicky suits"

Yup! I've heard them called "Weenie Squeezers" too. LOL!

Frank
Old 04-27-2003, 05:26 PM

Lansinoh, for us it works wonders on all dry cracked areas of skin.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
Old 04-27-2003, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Perhaps some lansinoh before he gets in the pool and make sure it is cleaned thoroughly after swimming (my girls have just about gotton the chlorine smell off of them 3 days after the swim when it is time for thier next lesson : ) Also I don't know if he changes out of his swimsuit right away but that is a good idea.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 04-28-2003, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Great ideas. I hadn't thought about the mesh rubbing at all. It just never occurred to me -- I've never had that problem! I'll ask him if he notices it rubbing.

I recall a Calendula diaper ointment from when mine were little, I'll see if I can find that. We don't use Vaseline, but maybe one of the natural alternatives like Un-petrolium jelly for before the pool.

Yes, ds does shower and take the suit off right away. I'll suggest cleaning under the forskin, although it still doesn't retract easily 100% of the time so he avoids it and I understand he's not to retract it if he can't comfortably (right?)
Old 04-29-2003, 01:43 AM

Quote:
...I understand he's not to retract it if he can't comfortably (right?)
Exactly right !!
Old 04-29-2003, 01:45 AM

At this point it is not really necessary for him to retract to clean. At puberty he will want to start. Now he can just retract as far as is comfortable and rinse. No soap is needed. The more often he retracts, the easier it will become. However, he shouldn't do anything that is uncomfortable or force it in any way. You or your husband may want to suggest retracting slightly to urinate and rinse in the shower. Over a period of time, this will stretch and loosen the preputial sphincter and will eventually make for easy, safe, normal retraction. There is no rush. The only legitimate reason for full retraction is for sexual activity and he won't be ready for that for years.

Frank
Old 05-16-2003, 12:28 AM

I just came to this board today. This is my 2nd post. For me it is the opposite. My intact son does get a little dry and red at the tip of his foreskin. But it's my circ'd son who writhes in pain because it gets so itchy at the urethra. We were recently at a hotel and in the jacuzzi there. He was crying so hard the next day because it stung so bad. But intact son had just a little redness. Hotels and public pools always use sooo much clorine. I used Aquaphor by Eucerine before and after as a barrier. It worked well for both. I have a jacuzzi here at home and they go in quite often. I make sure they hop in the tub when they get out and just soak their pee-pee's in warm water.

User Tag List