Military require circumcision? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

Old 11-27-2006, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My brother was in the Navy during the Vietnam War era (late 60's-early 70's) and emerged intact.
I wonder if different branches of the armed forces have different rules?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2006, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan1097 View Post
their mother heard from a friend whose ex-husband gave her more yeast infections than her current, circ'd husband. (Not making this up- I asked my aunt in 1998!)
It would still be more accurate to say 'passed her own yeast infection back to her because he didn't treat himself'- don't go blaming those pesky foreskins, now!
Old 11-27-2006, 05:45 PM

I doubt it is a requirement.

I know you have the option in the hospital to circ or not, when your baby boy is born. They dont push it on you.
In fact, the last baby I had (surrogacy) the ped said it is purely a cosmectic surgery now days.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:52 PM

That is really silly, lol. My DH was in the Army and ran across quite a few guys that were intact. Wait a minute, that didn't sound good, lol.... I just meant, either happened to see a whole penis in the shower or heard a guy talking about it. I swear my DH is straight!

Me Hubby
Colin 1/13/04 Elena 1/18/07
Old 11-27-2006, 07:23 PM

i have an intact friend who served in the air force.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:04 PM

My sister's BF is young (26) and only been out of the Army for a few years. From what I hear he isn't missing any pieces.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:14 PM

Yep, I heard that before, they actually mark the penis as abnormal in cirumcised men and note that they were circ'd.
I too have seen a lot of families with the trend of the men only carrying on the legacy. Its the whole "theres nothing wrong with my penis, so he should have it done too" thing. But then you also get these women who think that intact penises are ugly (who gives a poo what your CHILD's penis looks like?!?), or they are standing by their hubbys and say the same, that their dh's penis is fine, or they just really dont care either way and since dh said he wanted it done....

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
Old 11-29-2006, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
I doubt it is a requirement.

I know you have the option in the hospital to circ or not, when your baby boy is born. They dont push it on you.
In fact, the last baby I had (surrogacy) the ped said it is purely a cosmectic surgery now days.
Sadly, that isn't always true. It depends more on the hospital / peds office you go to. At the hospital I had DS#1 at I didn't even sign the circ consent form until it was time to be discharged and it was in the stack with everything else. Sadly, I had wanted him circ.

Also, my DH is active duty Air Force and circ, but I know there are a lot of intact men who are active duty (no I haven't seen it with my own eyes ).
Old 11-29-2006, 03:31 PM

well, my ex is Navy and intact and my son was born in a military hospital and is intact.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:39 PM

My parents friend was in the Navy and was strongly encouraged to get circumcised : . Apparently, he was the only one of his friends that said, no thank you, no way, no sir.

Apparently they were encouraged for hygeine reasons- and the fact that water rationing was quite common on the ships. Even though this is all quite silly and there are many simple solutions to a lack of water problem that the 'rest of the world' uses.

This friend is around 55 years old, has 2 intact sons, and all of them are very happy about that.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
Old 11-29-2006, 03:47 PM

I think the US military today isn't pushing circumcision nearly as hard as it used to. THe stories of enforced circumcision in the military are legion, and there is a good deal of strongly encouraged circumcison as well. Until the late 1970's-early 1980's there are only two times in US hsitory when there was anything but a slow but steady growth int he neonatal circ rate: the five-year period after WOrld War 1 and WOrld War 2. In both of those cases there was a clear jump in the RIC rate. Personally, I know of a significant number of military circs in my own family. MY stepgrandfather got circed in France during WW1; I have two uncles who got circed in the US Navy during WW2; my father has always worn his foreskin retracted. I have a cousin who was forced into a circumcison in the US Navy during Vietnam. He is still angry about it. I don't know anything about the circumstances of the other circumcisions. I have always assumed they were strongly encouraged if not required.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:22 PM

My husband is intact.. he was in the army up until last year. I can't understand why anyone would think the army would care either way. lol
Old 11-30-2006, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stever_45723 View Post
I think the US military today isn't pushing circumcision nearly as hard as it used to. .
Maybe not for the adults, but for the babies it is pretty bad. I haven't met a parent yet who has left their child intact. I had one friend in fact whose child was having kidney reflux and was told it was because her adopted son (4 years old) was not circed. They finally put so much pressure on her and her DH that she went ahead and had him circed when they did the surgery for the reflux

About adult males having to be circed, I have a couple friends whose DH's aren't circed. So it must not be required or knowing these friends they would have had it done.

Funny about the WWII soldiers. My grandpa came home from WWI and was convinced he would become a "dirty old man" if he remained intact so he went and got circed. Really influenced my mom's views on circ. She is very pro-circ and makes comments about my DS becoming a "dirty old man":

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

Old 11-30-2006, 04:27 AM

My grandpa was a Colonel in the Marines, served in WWII and Korea and Vietnam. He was not circed himself as a child, and his two sons remained intact even though they were born in military hospitals.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 11-30-2006, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2 View Post
Maybe not for the adults, but for the babies it is pretty bad. I haven't met a parent yet who has left their child intact.
The studies that sudjest an increased risk of UTIs in intact male infants were done comparing children born in american military hospitals. So they must leave some intact.

BTW Dad went in intact and came out intact, but one of the guys in his unit decided to get circ'd since they were offering it for free.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
Old 11-30-2006, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Maybe not for the adults, but for the babies it is pretty bad. I haven't met a parent yet who has left their child intact.
If it makes you feel any better...

I'm active duty Air Force. My son was born, not in a military hospital (Sheppard doesn't do births), but with a military doctor. I was asked twice if I wanted him circ'd, but never given the paper or pressured. He is 100% intact.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Old 11-30-2006, 02:53 PM

I am so surprised with this craziness?!? I would never have even thought that anyone would care so much about it.....especially the military!

I can tell you that it can't be a military requirement, cuz my fiance is not circ - and neither are several of the other aviators that he works with in the af res. that is crazy!

I am laughing thinking about it being a multiple choice question on the azfab (or however its spelled)...haha

Mama to Amelia - age 6

Old 11-30-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post
If it makes you feel any better...

I'm active duty Air Force. My son was born, not in a military hospital (Sheppard doesn't do births), but with a military doctor. I was asked twice if I wanted him circ'd, but never given the paper or pressured. He is 100% intact.
Thank goodness times have changed. Our son was born at the Barksdale AFB, Louisiana military hospital in 1969, and was circumcised without our permission. We were never even asked whether we wanted it done. I am an intact retired Air Force officer and was never pressured to have it done. It was offered, if you wanted it, but no pressure. Early in my career I briefly considered it (long story...for another thread...) but decided against it, and am totally happy with that decision.

An interesting historical note...While stationed at Wurtsmith AFB Michigan in the late '70s and early '80s, the Hospital Commander there issued an order prohibiting RIC. I don't know the exact reason, whether it was a result of medical studies showing it not to be necessary, or was a "cost-cutting" measure for his budget. Well, several parents were outraged that they had to take their son born on base, to a civilian doctor off base to get him circumcised, and had to PAY for it...! Some wrote their congressmen with their complaints. I don't know if there was an official investigation or not, but the Base Commander (Hospital Commander's commanding officer) felt enough pressure to order the prohibition lifted, and circumcisions were again available to those who wanted them.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4chunut1 View Post
Thank goodness times have changed. Our son was born at the Barksdale AFB, Louisiana military hospital in 1969, and was circumcised without our permission. We were never even asked whether we wanted it done.
This happened in civilian hospitals as well throughout the '50s, '60s and into the '70s.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
Old 11-30-2006, 05:02 PM

What Eighttyferrettoes said.

Also, my father managed to get through Vietnam-era AF service intact. Joining up now, I really doubt it would even come up. (Not that I was their for any guys' entrance med exams).

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Old 11-30-2006, 09:37 PM

Military moms posting here, have you been pressured to have it done when the base doc found out your child wasn't circ'd? On our base it is really high pressure to have it done, in fact, one doc has a whole day just for circing babies and performing vasectomies--it's really sad here. Funny thing is, no babies are born on base here they all are either sent to another city pretty far away (7 hours) or you have to go with a Japanese doc. The Japanese docs won't circ unless it is absolutely necessary for medical reasons, so all the boy babies here have an automatic appt with the circing doc on base one week after birth. Spoke with a mom yesterday who was happy she had to be transported to the military hospital for her c-sec, that way her son could be circ'd right after his birth at the hospital and she didn't have to wait for it to be done:

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Military moms posting here, have you been pressured to have it done when the base doc found out your child wasn't circ'd?

I really think it depends on the base and the doctor. My first son was born in '97 at the hospital on Fort Lewis. The dr told me that 99% of boys were circumcised, it's healthier, he'll never feel it, etc. Unfortunately, I trusted that doctor to be educated and we followed his advice to have our son circumcised.

My second son was born in '05 at Langely AFB and the atmosphere there was much different, but in a good way. Lots of midwives and they even had an intactivist doctor! (I never spoke with him but was told he was very passionate and outspoken about circumcision.) Although circ wasn't pushed there, it was still an option and treated nonchalantly by other docs. The peds on Fort Eustis were divided as well. One told me there aren't medical reasons for circumcision, while another lady told me it was much healthier and better for the child.

My FIL just told me the other day that when he was in the Air Force (during the 60's) circumcision was offered at enlistment. I think it was pushed because it was common for the men to be out in the field for weeks at a time and hygiene was a concern.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:01 AM

My son was born on Elmendorf AFB in the early 2000s and there was no pressure to circ.

I was pressured to get the Rhogam shot; I didn't consent though I was shaking a bit afterwards as an airman having a showdown with a Colonel. Even though my husband is Rh-, it was implied that I could be lying about his parentage :irked.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 03-31-2014, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

This is an interesting thread.  I have always wondered how the custom to circumcise started in my family.  My maternal grandfather was circumcised at age 12 for supposed medical reasons.  I think he may have suffered a paraphimosis, for which they did circumcise back then. That is the reason I and my brothers lost our foreskins.  However, my Dad and uncle were also circumcised.  Some years after my Dad had passed away I asked my uncle if if my grandfather (paternal) had been cut.  His answer was "Well, he was in the military".  I should have questioned him further, but felt too embarrassed.  So I still don't know if he was or not, but I assume that maybe he was and that it had something to do with his being in the army . He was Canadian, but of course that was part of the British Army, and fought in the Boer War and WW1.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:48 PM

My husband is in the Navy, he is intact. So I can tell you that they definitely do not circumcise men enlisting..
Old 06-25-2014, 10:44 PM

Cool My experience

Intact military officer here. It was barely mentioned when I was enlisting, but when I had my commissioning physical, the doctor took it upon himself to tell me that "nearly all officers" are circumcised and that I'd be setting myself apart if I didn't get cut. Didn't seem to be true when I got out into the military. Circumcision's been offered to me a few times rather nonchalantly but I just nonchalantly turned them down.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:30 PM

If I am thinking right in WWI or WWII they started doing a lot of circ due to STD's thinking it would help stop the spread. It of course didnt just made the ones who where cut think they could be even more promiscuous.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 06-27-2014, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I think the military circumcised the recruits in WW2 as an exercise in intimidation, don't you?

My circumcised husband told me that the men who were sent to Vietnam who were not circumcised had more health problems with their intact penis in the jungle conditions than others.

Oddly, I also heard that the non-circumcised men who went to the Sahara in WW2 had problems with their penis because of the arid conditions. (sand gets in everywhere)

Furthermore, my non-circumcised Father told me that men who were not circumcised had problems with their foreskins in very cold climates.

Seems there is always a reason to circumcise and never a reason not to.

Last edited by applejuice; 07-08-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So many conflicting theories!!

I would definitely argue the cold climate scenario - It seems to me that there is documentation that when Sir Ranulph Fines trekked to the North Pole the intact men were much better off since their foreskins (which are highly vascular - good blood flow) protected their glans. Certainly the Scandinavians have no issues! I have seen a statistic that only one in over 16000 Fins will die without their foreskin. And the Eskimos do not circumcise.

Considering that 85% of the world's males are intact, it seems strange that the only ones with a myriad of foreskin problems are the English speakers?
Old 07-05-2014, 02:54 PM

'"Seems there is always a reason to circumcise and never a reason not to."

I may be inclined to believe you. As I mentioned above, I've been *generously* offered to be circumcised by the military. Once was when I was stationed on the Gulf Coast, which has incredibly fine sand. I reported to sick call with irritation of the foreskin and was told that I was getting sand under my foreskin since I didn't have "sufficient coverage" of my glans, and that I'd be a perfect candidate for circumcision. I suggested that I just needed to do a better job of skinning myself back and rinsing off my glans and politely declined the surgical intervention to the apparent chagrin of the doctor. That weekend I went to the base beach with my coworker and his son and at the end of the day as we entered the showerhouse my coworker apologized saying that he and his son would have to get naked in the gang shower since both he and his son had been told that they needed to do a better job of cleaning their foreskins after being at the beach lest they have to get circumcised. I laughed and discovered we had the same primary care manager.

Later at a different base when I taking a course of antibiotics, I developed an opportunistic yeast infection and was told that I got the infection since I had too much foreskin, and would be a perfect candidate for circumcision. By then, I had done my homework and said that if it was a yeast infection, there were a number of nonsurgical options to try before circumcision. My doctor grudgingly agreed; the infection resolved itself when my body reestablished its natural flora, possibly assisted by twice a day apple cider douches.

User Tag List