Health officials back circumcision in AIDS fight - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 65 Old 12-17-2006, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaoriana View Post
I haven't read through the whole thread, so I apologize if my comments are redundant here. I think one of the most frightening implications of this whole thing is the colonialism involved. It's as though the west has this attitude that Africans are "savage" and "unteachable" so we will just mutilate their genitals to "fix" them since they're incapable of thinking for themselves. Conning them into mutilating their penises will not solve the AIDS crisis, and may just make it worse when people are told by doctors that circumcision will prevent them from getting AIDS -- might they then think that safe sex practices are less important when doctors begin touting the miracles of genital mutilation?
No, I think your comments are important. The implication that the Great White Fathers need to come save these naked savages from themselves is there if you scratch the surface.

It's disgusting.
#62 of 65 Old 12-17-2006, 06:46 PM

Have any of you read THIS?

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/postg...eskin_off.html

I really find it hard to believe what I am reading here and elsewhere - as a guy from India who knew nothing whatsoever about RIC in the US till a week ago.
#63 of 65 Old 12-17-2006, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
Have any of you read THIS?

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/postg...eskin_off.html

I really find it hard to believe what I am reading here and elsewhere - as a guy from India who knew nothing whatsoever about RIC in the US till a week ago.

This guy was one of the authors of the S. African AIDS and circ study. Not exactly unbiased.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#64 of 65 Old 12-18-2006, 06:02 PM

I know this has been throughout many of these threads, but what gets me the most is that the media is not talking about the real reason AIDs is so rampant in Africa. It is totally misogonistic practices run amok. Let's talk about the real problem people!! Sorry guys, but the AIDs problem in Africa is caused primarily by men and hurts mostly women and children.

Let's study why men in many African cultures still think it is ok to force many, many women to have sex with them. AIDs is sending a very loud message to them. It is not ok. Yet they keep doing it. I guess now if they all get circumsized they will enjoy it less. Karmic justice?!? :

AARGG...this whole thing just frustrates me so much!
#65 of 65 Old 12-18-2006, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but...

Doesn't circumcising African men to help control HIV/AIDS just give the country's people (both male and female) a free pass to continue their careless behaviour? In fact, using circumcision to help control the disease can even be an encouragement to have risky sex, since it will be believed that they're now "invulnerable" to the disease because of the surgery. Like they people doing the study said: "Circumcision is no magic bullet."

Isn't the way to humanely and logically control the spread of this disease be education and condoms and monogamy?

I don't know... just thinking aloud.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page