Raw skin in leg creases... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-26-2006, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not about foreskin, but I am not sure where to put this question...
My 5wk old son had lots of vernix when he was born (at home)...we didn't bathe him, just wiped it off. At 3wks or so I noticed some was still under his armpits and in the creases of his groin. I tried to remove it...gently..but it looks like I have rubbed some delicate skin inhis groin area...it now looks like a 'peeling sunburn' or something--new skin underneath, but no bleeding or angry looking skin etc. But I'm sure it isn't comfortable when he pees or when I'm trying to clean him during diper changes.
I have tried to give him air time to get it to 'heal' but he won't open his legs enough to get air to the area. I also noticed a spot of dead skin and new skin under his penis--on the shaft--thought it was desitin...nope.
Any idea what may be causing this other than me wiping vernix (or what I thought was vernix) off in the beginning...and any ideas on what to use to help it heal? Golden Seal? Never used it, but heard it was good for other similar things....
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2006, 12:55 AM

My ds gets that sometimes on the creases of his legs. I put a little powder there and it seems to clear up. I was thinking its just a rash from that area never getting really dry cause of course, even without a diaper, they will not lie down with their legs spread open so the area can properly dry. Even when i dry the area with a towel after baths, it still seems damp.

I also get a similar rash if i dont dry that area of my legs well before putting clothes on. And when i was pg, i got a rash under my big belly if that area wasnt dried well.

Good luck.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:47 AM

Well, he's still new, and it's totally normal for a newborn to have some peeling skin the first few weeks. The longer the baby 'cooked' inside you, the more he'll peel! Since you say the skin just looks new, not red or 'angry', maybe that's all it is. You can google something like... newborn skin peeling and I'm sure you can determine if that's what your ds has.

I'd try to let him have some air circulation there as much as possible, try to leave off the diaper if I could and see if it's affected by that.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

Old 12-26-2006, 02:32 AM

It sounds like a yeast infection. My oldest dd did that
Old 12-26-2006, 03:29 AM

OP- You could try an OTC yeast treatment. Might work, won't hurt.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

User Tag List