Circumcision cures herpes???!!! So wrong & unnecessary! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 12-30-2006, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.snopes.com/photos/medical/electricfence.asp

(Ah, not for the squeamish.)

eta: Terribly gross picture of a very iatrogenically injured man. Not necessary to go to the link to grasp the point, which is that Chinese doctors are/were using circumcision as a treatment for herpes. Discuss!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 12-30-2006, 01:12 PM

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! That poor man.

This is a horrible thing to say- horrible- but my sister likes her hot dogs grilled and blackened. I will never be able to see her eat one without thinking of that picture. :

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#3 of 22 Old 12-30-2006, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

'Convalescence was uneventful.'

That stuck out in my mind.
#4 of 22 Old 12-30-2006, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

I used to like mine that way too. Urp! :Puke

Was herpes really worse than this? Next time someone says 'trust your Dr, they know what's best!' I'm going to email them *that*.
#5 of 22 Old 12-30-2006, 01:56 PM

I'm continually amazed at the stupidity of people, and no I'm not looking at that pic. Don't need that in my head :
#6 of 22 Old 12-30-2006, 02:45 PM

That link is not appropriate for this forum. It's from a "rumour" board and looks to me like a photoshopped mock up. Please remove and let's keep this forum
to the facts.
Baybee
#7 of 22 Old 12-30-2006, 03:56 PM

Hey, snopes.com is in the business of laying rumors to rest! If you read that one, the rumour is that that injury was caused by peeing on an electric fence. snopes tells you that's untrue, and the real cause was that man's treatment for herpes by a medical doctor. The treatment included circumcision, so it's on topic... and then the 2.5 hours of short-wave diathermy burned his penis off. Shudder.

Their source is citedat the bottom:
Jiang, Jun et al. "Severe Burn of Penis Caused by Excessive Short-wave Diathermy." Asian Journal of Andrology. 6 December 2004

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#8 of 22 Old 12-30-2006, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Yup. The circ part is true. How many circ'd men (with & without herpes) unknowingly passed that around as email spam, not knowing the true initial cause of that poor man's spiral of malpractice?
#9 of 22 Old 12-30-2006, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybee View Post
That link is not appropriate for this forum. It's from a "rumour" board and looks to me like a photoshopped mock up. Please remove and let's keep this forum
to the facts.
Baybee
First, nothing about that pic looks photoshopped.
Second, Snopes is not a board, it is a rumor-debunking site. The opposite of what you said.
#10 of 22 Old 12-31-2006, 12:50 AM

Wow. :

That is so so so wrong! That poor man! I don't understand what short wave diothermy is. It has the word short in it so I'm assuming (and will likely make an ass out of myself) that it's supposed to be some type of short term treatment... so why was it on for 2.5 hours?

I will never be able to look at a hot dog the same again... :

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#11 of 22 Old 12-31-2006, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

the word to look at is 'therm' . 'short waves', well, er, someone else can explain them, haven't had enough coffee.
#12 of 22 Old 12-31-2006, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Short wave diotherapy is a form of radiation. Short doesn't refer to the length of treatment, but the type of the radiation.

This site explains a bit.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#13 of 22 Old 12-31-2006, 02:22 PM

Okay, maybe it's important in the big scheme of intactivism to know about this case and be ready to tell grown men not to let electrical devices near their penises.

I feel manipulated by the title you used for the thread which states that circumcision cures herpes like an affirmation. Also, when you don't put any info on the original post, just a link and warning, it makes it so people have to see the photo before they know what they are into.

It's not just your thread title but lots of others do the same thing. . . . . manipulative teasers that get people to read what they've posted without being honest about what's to come. We're all busy people and we have a big mission to accomplish in ending circumcision. Wasting people's time with weird, one off, freaky aberrations doesn't really forward our movement and probably turns off some allies.
Baybee
#14 of 22 Old 12-31-2006, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Well, clearly some doctors in China thought it was a treatment for herpes, which is the pertinent point. 'Not for the squeamish' isn't blatant enough? If I'm saying that, I don't mean 'might make the average person slightly uncomfortable'- I figure we are all grownups here. I meant don't look if you value the contents of your stomach. Your choice.

I read many threads where I skip links I have been warned may be upsetting, but respond to other posts with the caveat that I never saw the initial link & am using the resulting discussion as a topic guideline. (I personally would assume any post that begins 'circ', 'herpes', and 'not for the squeamish', is not going to be daisies & snickerdoodles.)

I think it's pretty on-topic to hear that some doctors in China (sampling Western 'medicine'? Is it a trend?) fancy circumcision as a treatment for herpes, with or without additional diathermal short-wave. Where did they get the idea that it would help? What were their influences? Is it still being done?

Valid questions I'd like to investigate. I'm sorry you felt manipulated, but if anyone chose not to read it, the warning is up there in black & white- no one made you 'waste your time' but you. But I'll edit. I like & respect you very much, & the last thing intended was to upset you.
#15 of 22 Old 12-31-2006, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I feel manipulated by the title you used for the thread which states that circumcision cures herpes like an affirmation.
huh? it's the case AGAINST circ board, there are no affirmations here by obviously intactivist posters like the op that circ cures herpes.
#16 of 22 Old 12-31-2006, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

PS I have no clue how to edit the title for clarity- I know, I see thread titles all the time that confound & frustrate me- '"Circ'd penises are gross!" "Smell?" "People who don't circ are freaks!" where the op is clearly just relating something they were told, but I find it upsetting to see it up there in the index as though it were a statement of fact. Mea culpa that I thought the title was absurd enough without a '?!! :' tacked on. Sorry. Point taken.

(Any mods strolling by are welcome to change it, hint hint.
#17 of 22 Old 12-31-2006, 03:32 PM

(( hit edit and then you have to go advanced, but I think there is a cut off to be albe to do it after the thread is so old and I don't know how long that is))
#18 of 22 Old 12-31-2006, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Better? ( After all these years I finally know the secret! I am so technologically lame.)
#19 of 22 Old 12-31-2006, 03:51 PM

I like it!
#20 of 22 Old 12-31-2006, 08:04 PM

I haven't looked at the link (yeah 10 months post-partum and I'm still kinda hormonal, I swear I never used to be squeemish.)

I think circ'ing for herpes is quite relavent to this board. A month or two ago a mom came here b/c her pediatrician was trying to get her to circ her adopted toddler to help treat herpes.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#21 of 22 Old 12-31-2006, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose View Post
I will never be able to look at a hot dog the same again... :
Fortunately, I'm vegetarian.

But yeah, that's really terrible. The chances of a herpes infection being localized to the foreskin are slim, to say the least. From wikipedia: "In males, the lesions may occur on the shaft of the penis, in the genital region, on the inner thigh, buttocks, or anus. In females, lesions may occur on or near the pubis, labia, clitoris, vulva, buttocks, or anus."

Circumcision won't do s**t against it unless only the foreskin is infected. How can any doctor think that circumcision will help a genital herpes infection? It baffles my mind.
#22 of 22 Old 12-31-2006, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

It's the old 'cut off the finger to spite the hangnail' treatment.

You cut off a foreskin, voila! No more herpes on the foreskin. Miracle cure!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page