Nathan- a year later - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-07-2003, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some of you may remember last year when Nathan saw a photo on my site of a baby being circumcised. He said "You gotta stop that! Take a sword and kill the doctor!"

Well I was looking at the 3-minute version of the intact.ca video on here a few minutes ago and he was kinda shocked at it and asked what was going on. Asked if that happened to Noah or to him. I told him no it didn't but its called a circumcision so if he sees other boys with penises like that that's why. He then said "Hey! We saw that at the parade!" referring to the GOMCO clamp and the Art Fair where NOCIRC of MI has a booth (every year in July) where I help volunteer. (I remember showing him the GOMCO and Mogen clamps, last year, actually. ) A bit later he said he would "take that thing [clamp] from the doctor and throw it in the trash!" "Unfortunately," I told him, "They'd just buy a new one...." He also said something about how it was making the baby upset. He's 5 1/2. I also skimmed through "The Joy of Being a Boy" because it has photos to explain stuff in little-kid terms. He wasn't quite sure if retraction was the same as having it cut off. But I'm sure he knows that circumcision is something really awful for the baby which involves clamps and a big metal "thing" that makes the baby really mad! And that whatever it is, he didn't have it done!

Oh- and when the 3-minute video ended and I went to get the book, he started the video playing again - all by himself!
#2 of 5 Old 05-08-2003, 04:18 AM

Yoiks

#3 of 5 Old 05-08-2003, 08:41 AM

Good for you and little Nathan.I am already teaching my dd,and look forward to teaching ds about it.
I especially want them to realize than no reason is valid-even religion- for cutting away a part of another's genitals.That with a bit of effort we can change social and religious customs and replace cutting with something more appropriate.
sara
#4 of 5 Old 05-08-2003, 12:03 PM

I think that a lot of pro-circs forget that we are also raising daughters. When these girls are women, they are going to know what is natural, and will not find anything wrong with an intact penis.

In fact, these women will demand answers to how, with the proliferation of information available, parents made the choice to cosmetically alter their sons genitals.
#5 of 5 Old 02-07-2007, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Here's the original post of mine re: what Nathan said. (Keep in mind that he was born Oct. 13, 1997 so he was 5 1/2 when I posted this and "a year earlier" was 4 1/2!- the "Take a sword and kill the doctor!" quote!!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page