well, gave the circumcision lecture again - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 01-09-2007, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know if you guys remember from last year... but i'm the anatomy and physiology teacher who always gives "the circumcision lecture" to my high school students (i teach about 160 kids/year ) Well, of course, they were absolutely HORRIFIED about the whole thing (I go over history of circ., procedure, functions of foreskin...). So anyway, there's this very popular, "cool", "hot" kid (female student's words, not mine) in the class who insisted he could do the lecture on reproduction (male today, female tomorrow). I told him he might be surprised at how much he doesn't know. So, after the lecture was done, in front of the whole class, I said , "So, Josh, did you learn anything today?" He goes, "Yeah, I'm NOT circumcising MY son!" Inside, I just beamed!!!!!!! I said, "Well, good for you!" I can truly say that almost all of my students leave saying the same thing, semester after semester!!!

Keri ~ Wife to dh Mommy to dd 11 whistling.gif ds 9 bouncy.gif  dd 6 1/2 kid.gif 
#2 of 24 Old 01-09-2007, 03:49 PM

That is so cool!

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#3 of 24 Old 01-09-2007, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I remember your report on last year's lecture (and the comments of one of the other teachers, IIRC).

Hooray for you! It must be SO rewarding for you to know that you have such an influence - not just on these students, but their future friends and spouses. What a bonus to get a class leader to make such an announcement!

Way to go!!!!!!!!!

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#4 of 24 Old 01-09-2007, 04:04 PM

Gosh, you are so awesome!

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

#5 of 24 Old 01-09-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyann21 View Post
Gosh, you are so awesome!
:

What a great position you are in to reach people early! Great work!

Tara

Tara Momma to Callum and Gavin
#6 of 24 Old 01-09-2007, 04:10 PM

This is amazing. Just think. If you teach this to a hundred or more students a year that is SO many baby boys who will be saved! AND their sons will be saved. We are making progress here!
GO YOU!

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

#7 of 24 Old 01-09-2007, 04:14 PM

Awesome!!!
#8 of 24 Old 01-09-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontgirl View Post
This is amazing. Just think. If you teach this to a hundred or more students a year that is SO many baby boys who will be saved! AND their sons will be saved. We are making progress here!
GO YOU!
Seriously. You are doing an amazing, wonderful thing.

Have you ever had any complaints from parents regarding your circ lecture?
#9 of 24 Old 01-09-2007, 04:24 PM

Awsome! I had a great biology teacher who was 2nd generation from Ireland-all of her family were intact-and she was always talking about how it just isnt right to circ.
On the other hand, my college A+P teacher wasnt quite so good about it and I kinda told her off but in a nice way....she didnt talk about being intact being bad or anything, but she did say that they get smegma so circumcised guys might be cleaner. : And she said its a personal choice-so I talked to her about it and said, hey, you know, it should the personal choice of the OWNER OF THE PENIS. She agreed and as far as I know she started including that. She's cool anyway though-she shows natural childbirth videos with my midwives during the female reproductive section.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#10 of 24 Old 01-09-2007, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

I've been doing this lecture for about 4 yrs. now, with 160 students/year, that's over 600 students!!!!!! and I've got the other teacher to do the lecture now... YEAH!!! No, I've never had a parent complain, yet, and if they do, I'm just going to tell them, "I teach facts. That's what I do, I'm a teacher. "

Keri ~ Wife to dh Mommy to dd 11 whistling.gif ds 9 bouncy.gif  dd 6 1/2 kid.gif 
#11 of 24 Old 01-09-2007, 06:41 PM

Keri, I love you so much!!! Great job!

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#12 of 24 Old 01-09-2007, 06:42 PM

#13 of 24 Old 01-09-2007, 08:15 PM

That's so cool! Better to get them young, when they haven't really had a chance to form stronger opinions about it.

Homeschooling mom of 2 rambunctious, loving, spectacular boys, wife to an incredible man who has been my best friend on this journey <3

#14 of 24 Old 01-09-2007, 08:57 PM

Lady, you rock!!!
#15 of 24 Old 01-10-2007, 02:41 AM

Right on!!!
#16 of 24 Old 01-10-2007, 03:46 AM

Can you give the lecture to my husband!? I am really hoping this is a girl...........
#17 of 24 Old 01-10-2007, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blsilva View Post
That's so cool! Better to get them young, when they haven't really had a chance to form stronger opinions about it.
That's the thing, they haven't been "tainted" yet by society, for the most part. They are still at the stage where "I'm not going to listen to anyone older, until I hear all of the facts, and figure it out for myself" stage. I also do a whole lecture on breastfeeding too, and when we do childbirth, I go off on a tirade about the "flat-on-your-back, while nurses are screaming to ten in your face" thing! They love it all! and are so receptive to hearing the information. I love my kids!
Anyway, I just got my first email ever from a parent today about the circumcision lecture, this is what she wrote (background info. she's a LLL leader who's an incredible person, but circ'ed her son 15 years ago, b/c it's just "what you did") "[Name of daughter] was very interested in the presentation about circumcision yesterday. She told me about it as soon as she got home. I'm so glad that you are able to present this subject to them. Most adults do not even study it or think about it. Cultural influence and customs can be so idiotic. Your discussion of the issue will help these future parents to make an informed decision."
So, I guess that's pretty positive!

#18 of 24 Old 01-10-2007, 03:33 PM

Thank you Keri!!!! Talk about changing the world!!!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#19 of 24 Old 01-10-2007, 03:36 PM

That's so wonderful! And the e-mail you got....

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#20 of 24 Old 01-10-2007, 10:21 PM

you totally rock! Its about time someone actually started giving people imformation about what actually happens during a circumcision and what is lost. Its amazing to me that anyone would have part of their son's penis cut off when the only imformation most people have ever been given is that circumcision is cleaner. If thats all it takes to get people to have parts of their child's body cut off, its no wonder media and advertising work so well to scare and sell products.
#21 of 24 Old 01-11-2007, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

My students mentioned the "it's cleaner" thing. I said, "Yeah, I'm going to teach him how to brush his teeth too. Seriously guys, that's like saying, 'I"m going to cut his cheeks off, so he doesn't get any cavities'" They were like "Oh, yeah", dumbfounded. Someone also mentioned about him looking like his dad. I said, "then you better go buy him brown contact lenses and hair dye, b/c my son has blue eyes and light hair, and my husband's real italian-looking, with the dark brown eyes and hair. and let me tell you, people are going to notice their hair and eye color alot sooner then their penis differences! " Again, they were like, "Oh yeah!" One female pulled me aside, after class, and said that she heard that if you have sex with an intact male, you're more likely to get a yeast infection. I said, "Well, first of all, that is absolutely not true. Furthermore, women get yeast infections all of the time and noone's threatening to cut their genitals up. With proper hygeine, on both partners part, you won't see any problems, and I say both partner's parts, because women got alot more going on 'down there' then men do! We have alot more nooks, crannies, and what not."

#22 of 24 Old 01-12-2007, 08:29 PM

Wow. Genital integrity education in the schools. This is truly amazing progress in the States. I am delighted to read this. Thanks for posting!
#23 of 24 Old 01-12-2007, 09:18 PM

Awesome job keri and did you add the safe sex protocol ? As in hopes those kids who won't think they won't get HIV/STD's because they or their boyfriends are circumcised ?
#24 of 24 Old 01-14-2007, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mommy2b- I'll definately make sure to discuss that with my class tuesday. It's so upsetting to think what's going to happen when people start wearing no protection, thinking it's going to protect them against HIV, jsut b/c they're circumcised. Wait until the world sees Africa in about 15-20 yrs., after they circumcise their boys, but they still get HIV. (or all of the men who go out soon and get it done, and they still end up getting HIV.) sad. very sad. BTW, I was discussing the whole HIV/ circ. issue with a another teacher, and a student (who's originally from China) comes up to me and asks, "If you don't mind telling me, what were you guys talking about?" So, I told him. He says, "Yeah, I always just figured, 'Why would it be there if it didn't have a purpose.'" Shrugged his shoulders and walked away. It was then that I remembered that Asian boys don't get circumcised (I believe some do, in certain countries, but not China). I was so proud of him for saying that statement out loud in front of any students listening, with self-confidence.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page