Please Help--ds' penis looks swollen and is painful - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-21-2007, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

Today I noticed that my son has been wincing in pain. I thought it was his leg but it turns out to be his penis. It seems to be swollen and very tender to the touch. He is intact and I don't know anyone IRL who also has an intact son so I'm asking if you know what it could be and what my course of action should be. Thanks in advance.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#2 of 8 Old 01-21-2007, 09:09 PM

Can he pee? Has he been peeing or holding it in?

Mom of 3 (Evan, Trey, Saffron ) Blogs at findingsummer.com
#3 of 8 Old 01-21-2007, 09:16 PM

#4 of 8 Old 01-21-2007, 09:25 PM

How old is your ds? It could be just some separation trauma.

Unless your ds is running a fever, acting sick (not just uncomfortable), or has difficulties peeing, I would watch and wait. I wouldn't put anything on it, but just soak in a warm bath perhaps with some baking soda. I definitely wouldn't put antibiotic ointment on it, because it may not be a bacterial infection and Neosporin, etc. are not recommended for use on mucous membranes such as the intact penis.

Also, push fluids, make sure he nurses a lot if he's still nursing, just to flush the system - can't hurt!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#5 of 8 Old 01-22-2007, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice everyone. Yes, he has been peeing although not as much as I would have expected. When I went to change his diaper before bed last night I noticed something white coming out of it. I initially thought it was pus so I set about to clean it out as best I could and to follow your advice for infection. What came out didn't look like pus though--it was white and not liquidy at all. It looked maybe like a piece of tissue or something had been caught up there. That's weird though because I only use cloth wipes on him. Anyway, after I took it out, the tenderness seemed to disappear and ds was no longer wincing in pain. I don't know what it was. His foreskin is very tight so I can't imagine how anything went in. Any ideas?

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#6 of 8 Old 01-22-2007, 10:17 AM

It sounds like a smegma pearl, which is not a big deal.

As for the antibiotic ointment, it's probably not necessary but I don't think it will damage anything. The outside of the foreskin isn't a mucous membrane, and I doubt you're retracting in order to put the ointment on.
#7 of 8 Old 01-22-2007, 05:19 PM

Definitely sounds like a smegma pearl, and reinforces the idea that he had a little separation trauma. Best thing to do is leave it alone.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#8 of 8 Old 01-22-2007, 05:52 PM

My son is intact and had a swollen penis once or twice, I put a little breastmilk on it and let him go diaper-free as much as possible and it healed up quickly.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page