My Poor Baby!!! What Can I Do Now??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-17-2003, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 19-month old son had to go into the hospital Wednesday for some kidney testing (a renal scan and VCUG). He had to be catheterized for the procedures. Well, I had no idea that a medical professional would be so ignorant (though I should've known... guess that makes me the ignorant one, eh?)... anyway, I noticed (too late!) that the nurse retracted Max's foreskin when she catheterized him... I am so upset, and can't stop thinking about it. It brings tears to my eyes every time I think about it. There's nothing I can do to take it back, but is there anything I can/should do now? I am going to call Max's pediatrician tomorrow to ask her about it. I honestly have no idea if his foreskin already retracts on its own or not... I'm hoping that it did, and that they didn't force it back... but as much as I'd love to convince myself of that, I don't really think so. I guess I should at least call the hospital and complain so that hopefully they can train their staff better! Maybe I can prevent it from happening to another baby. Please help me... I am just devastated by this!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 05-17-2003, 06:51 AM

Wendy- Odds are that by 19 months old he was already retractable, go ahead and make your calls, but I don't think you need to worry about it at this point, what's done is done and it probably didn't hurt him. I hope his kidneys are OK.

Love Sarah
#3 of 7 Old 05-17-2003, 09:36 AM

Sara and I rarely disagree but I guess this is one of those times. Everything I have read is that it is unusual that a 19 month old is retractable or at least fully retractable. It could be that he is partially separated and she only retracted him enough to expose the tip. If this is the case and there was no bleeding, there was probably no long term harm done from this one instance.

However, there is no medically justified reason to retract and this woman should be reported. Just telling her or the doctor she works for will not work because you will just be blown off and they will continue doing the retractions.

Frank
#4 of 7 Old 05-17-2003, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies. I am still very bothered by the whole thing, but I don't think that Max is hurt, so that's good. His penis looks fine. The nurse did just expose the tip of his glans and there was no bleeding. Whew!!!

Anyone know how to go about reporting the nurse? I know that just calling them won't make much of a difference... they are simply going to do things in ways that are easiest on THEM, not their patients. But, I do feel the need to voice my concerns, at least I can hope that they will change their ways.
#5 of 7 Old 05-18-2003, 02:19 AM

my 17 month old son can retract a little...when he grabs himself during diaper changes I can sometimes see the tip of his penis exposed. so hopefully your little guy was a bit retractable too and wasn't harmed, but the point is that you are not confident that this was handled correctly. You should call the medical director, and also contact the hospital administrator. You may also want to put your concerns in writing. Good luck. And I hope your little guy is OK.
#6 of 7 Old 05-18-2003, 10:17 AM

You can file your complaint with the state medical board and with the hospital. There will be a formal complaint process with the state board and forms to fill out. The Hospital may or may not have a formal complaint process. If not, talk with the head of Pediatrics.

Frank
#7 of 7 Old 05-26-2003, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
to wither the Nursing Supervisor or the Patients Relations Department. It is effective. I had done it myself

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page